• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College choices?

Started by Softball Dave, May 05, 2012, 11:20:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Softball Dave

Just wondering where some of the senior distance runners (from all classes) are headed to college?

MHSGrad

Ebmeyer from Vilonia is going to Ualr.. I know u said distance runners, but Dylan Wood is also heading to Ualr

Softball Dave

Thanks MHSGrad. Please list any runners who are getting to further their careers. We just pay more attention to the distance runners, since that's what my son runs. But any names would be appreciated, & to give them the well deserved congrats for their accomplishments in track or cross country.

MHSGrad

I know that Antimo from cabot is going to asu, and Emily Meyers, if i remember correctly, is going to Nevada

rattler13

Katy Carter from Magazine is going to UAFS to run cross country

True Player

Moreno of Nashville is headed to texarkana

Softball Dave

Which college in Texarkana will Daniel be attending?

ogar_hog

From Heber:

Sanders to UCA
Peterson to Harding
Leonard looking at UCA hasn't made an official decision.

MHSGrad

I heard the Reed from cfv might be going to coffeyville, Kansas.. I haven't had it officially confirmed

True Player

Moreno going to A@M in Texarkana.

fourpeat

Quote from: True Player on May 07, 2012, 05:44:50 pm
Moreno going to A@M in Texarkana.
I think their track & field program is starting this fall.  Jeff Haynes, from Prescott, is the new track coach.

True Player

I heard he was just doing cross country

fourpeat

Yep, I think you're right.  He's only recruiting distance runners, and boy is he getting some good ones!  Moreno has never truly had a distance coach.

pantherxctf

Maness from Alma is going to university of fort smith for cross-country is what he told me at state.

AT

Quote from: pantherxctf on May 08, 2012, 10:03:42 am
Maness from Alma is going to university of fort smith for cross-country is what he told me at state.

This is true.

pantherxctf

I also heard that there is a possibility that maples from bebee will go to ualr but it's not for sure yet.

MHSGrad

Ualr is taking track seriously.. With Dunn (their tj and lj), and all the youth they are adding, they will have a good little team.. They are recruiting the talent that no one else seems to be recruiting.. Little Rock is a huge talent pool for the state of Arkansas when it comes to track.. With the U "knowing" they are too good for most of these athletes, it is good to see someone giving them a chance to prove themselves at the college level..

I was a 2:03, 4:48, 10:30, 17:50 guy, and no one, except coffeyville, offered me.. Not even SAU.. Looks like times are changing

UALR11

We always have taken track seriously. Our #1 priority in the past is to have a good sprinter and distance depth that carries over to cross-country. 

You also have to look at times.  A 4:48 10:30 guy will still be lucky to walk on a DII team.

UALR has a past of getting the top recruits in the state.  My senior year of HS we pulled me, Ethan Blakely, Kyle Houston, and Johnny Purvis out of JUCO.  Barret Kerth the year after.  Markus Pearson and Caleb Hanson afterwards. 

However, Coach Williams loves an underdog with strong work ethic!

MHSGrad

Maybe it is time for the state to take more notice then..

The times I ran, along w most distance runners at Magnolia, were based off of natural ability bc the dedication wasn't always there to our team that should have been

I came to mag in the 8th grade as a 4 55, 2:06, and 10:45.. that shows how i could have been.. neither here nor there.. ill be following ualr track a lot more now that Wood is going :)

MHSGrad

Maybe it is time for the state to take more notice then..

The times I ran, along w most distance runners at Magnolia, were based off of natural ability bc the dedication wasn't always there to our team that should have been

I came to mag in the 8th grade as a 4 55, 2:06, and 10:45.. that shows how i could have been.. neither here nor there.. ill be following ualr track a lot more now that Wood is going :)

AT

What you have to remember with Fayetteville is that D1 only gets 12 or so scholarships a year.

They can't really afford to give out a scholarship to someone in Arkansas based off potential ability.

I love Arkansas high school track and field, but I realize that Arkansas gives scholarships to some of the best athletes in the world...not just in the USA.

UALR11 would probably know more about the standards to get into Fayetteville than I do, but I imagine you have to run 1:51-1:52 800 or 4:10-4:15 1600, and a low 9:00 3200 to even get a look from Arkansas.

Someone told me Chaffin of LR Catholic didn't get a full scholarship at U of A and he was a 1:53 800 guy.

I think the only potential Arkansas athletes this year who could sign with U of A are Eric Nathaniel on the boys side and Maggie Montoya on the girls side. Maybe Zach Riley of Benton? (these people may have already signed somehwere, I don't know)

I definitely think Nathaniel should get a full scholarship. Braddy did and he wasn't running as fast as Nathaniel in high school..and look at Braddy tearing up the track now.

UALR11

Chaffin didn't get much at all, and ran 4:15 in the mile.  Chaffin no longer runs for the UofA.   They don't get 12 scholarships a year.  They get 12 total. 

Braddy didn't get a full, BTW.  A full scholarship is gonna take sub1:50, sub 4:10, and sub-9 in the 3200.  Thats to a top 25 track school.  Arkansas has like 4 guys who can break 1:49 in the 800 right now, yet no one scored at indoors.  It's hard for a school in that position to legitimize giving 1/12 of their scholarship money to a kid that fits that bill. 

It's hard to give a 4:40 kid money based off the precedent that he didn't train.  Then the question arises of will he train?  Will he wake up at 6 every morning for a morning run.  Will he be able to handle 100 miles per week. 

Here is the list for the south region 1600.  http://dyestat.rise.espn.go.com/dselite.jsp?event=1600&&state=south&seasontype=OUT&seasonyear=2012&athclass=

It takes 4:26(my pr) to make top 100.  WOW!  Now if you cherry pick that list probably 25+ of those kids don't train a lick.  Thats the steal you want. 

Nathaniel will get many big offers this year, thats for sure. 

AT

Quote from: UALR11 on May 08, 2012, 02:15:21 pm
Chaffin didn't get much at all, and ran 4:15 in the mile.  Chaffin no longer runs for the UofA.   They don't get 12 scholarships a year.  They get 12 total. 

Braddy didn't get a full, BTW.  A full scholarship is gonna take sub1:50, sub 4:10, and sub-9 in the 3200.  Thats to a top 25 track school.  Arkansas has like 4 guys who can break 1:49 in the 800 right now, yet no one scored at indoors.  It's hard for a school in that position to legitimize giving 1/12 of their scholarship money to a kid that fits that bill. 

It's hard to give a 4:40 kid money based off the precedent that he didn't train.  Then the question arises of will he train?  Will he wake up at 6 every morning for a morning run.  Will he be able to handle 100 miles per week. 

Here is the list for the south region 1600.  http://dyestat.rise.espn.go.com/dselite.jsp?event=1600&&state=south&seasontype=OUT&seasonyear=2012&athclass=

It takes 4:26(my pr) to make top 100.  WOW!  Now if you cherry pick that list probably 25+ of those kids don't train a lick.  Thats the steal you want. 

Nathaniel will get many big offers this year, thats for sure.

Ok thanks for clearing all that up. That's what I get spouting off about scholarships when I don't know what I'm talking about.

Sad to hear Chaffin isn't running for U of A anymore. I hope Nathaniel gets to run at Fayetteville.

MHSGrad

What about in other events, such as pv?.. What about the wyatt brothers?

UALR11

They will get him.  I don't think the best 4x400 team in the country would let a top-5 national 400 meter runner slip out of their borders.

Chaffin wanted to get the full college experience.  I can't say I blame him, he invested a lot in the sport.  I just talked to him about an hour ago actually.

RATTLER43

So will Alex run competitively again?  I hope so.

True Player

@almatrackster
Poole is going to UofA. Not sure how much she is offered, but she signed this spring.

AT

Quote from: True Player on May 08, 2012, 04:31:42 pm
@almatrackster
Poole is going to UofA. Not sure how much she is offered, but she signed this spring.

Really? I hadn't heard anything about it. Congrats to her!

sevenof400

May 10, 2012, 09:17:07 pm #28 Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:22:29 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: MHSGrad on May 08, 2012, 02:44:50 pm
What about in other events, such as pv?.. What about the wyatt brothers?

For what this may be worth, I am hearing the Wyatt's can pretty much go anywhere that track is run with the heights they are clearing.  Now as to where they want to go?  That is another story altogether.  Remember they still have one more year at Vilonia.   

aa2

brewer from alma is going to Fullerton JuCo in California for football and track.

AT

Quote from: aa2 on May 14, 2012, 11:52:09 am
brewer from alma is going to Fullerton JuCo in California for football and track.

I heard he was going to Arizona and trying out for track team. That's awesome that he's going to Fullerton, though.

Hope to see him do great things there.

Softball Dave

Any updates on where runners will be attending colleges?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas