• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Job

Started by Busman, May 03, 2011, 12:43:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

Pigheaded

Good choice
Young
Energetic
People type person
Offensive mind
Strong Christian background
Needs a good defensive coordinator

Baitshop

Wow.....Brooks has only been a HC for a year.....but he is a great guy, high character, ultra competitive, and will run Greenwoods offense....

He's taking a big chance....hope it works out for him...

BearcatMD

Quote from: nike1029 on May 26, 2011, 08:50:25 pm
Van Buren hires Brooks Coatney from Ozark.

Source??
I think he has been a HC 2 yrs
But was at CAC and Bryant before that.

Good luck to him, Amie, Cruz and Cali if true.

JohnBarleycorn

Quote from: thebigshot on May 20, 2011, 04:19:18 pm
Just give the job to the guy that works at the local tire shop like how the minnesota twins did in major league. Maybe his what VB needs right now.

You mean the Cleveland Indians?

ricepig

Quote from: JohnBarleycorn on May 27, 2011, 09:01:34 am
Quote from: thebigshot on May 20, 2011, 04:19:18 pm
Just give the job to the guy that works at the local tire shop like how the minnesota twins did in major league. Maybe his what VB needs right now.

You mean the Cleveland Indians?

Maybe he is looking for "an Angel in the Outfield", maybe not.  ::)

RGP

A popular choice as Brooks is a very likable character with a lot of potential. He became the frontrunner once VB was unable to get Fimple.

SouthpawSensation

The way things are shaping up, he'll get a year to tune up playing the 7A-Central and trying to get into the 6A playoffs (still one messed up system) before being thrown into the lions den known as the 7A-West.

TTofGreenwood

Good luck Brooks!  Stick it out for 6-7 years....we'll be waiting..... ;)

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: TTofgreenwood on May 27, 2011, 03:14:18 pm
Congratulations to Coach Coatney.  It's nice to see young coaches getting their shots and making the most of them.  I wish him the best of luck.

As to the 6-7 years, I would think a Jones' protege would be more likely.

Baitshop

Quote from: TTofgreenwood on May 27, 2011, 03:14:18 pm

If Brooks can "stick it out" in VB for 6-7 years, he's doing well enough to not have to come home to Greenwood....

It's tough coming home to Greenwood.....ask Brian Martin....

Plus, if Greenwood starts playing the schedule that I think they will, they are going to be the runt of the litter on their schedule...

Southside, Northside, VB, Russellville, Conway, Texarkana, Lake Hamilton....

It's a little easier when your are in the top 3 in enrollment in your classification than it is being in the bottom 3....

RGP

Van Buren is still a stepping stone job for coaches.

Father Guido

Congrats to Brooks and good luck.

Hoghead

Going to Van Buren is like being the Head Coach at Bodcau !

Yoster

Quote from: Pigheaded on May 26, 2011, 09:45:43 pm
Good choice
Young
Energetic
People type person
Offensive mind
Heaven forbid they hire a non Christian coach.

Hoghead

Quote from: Yoster on May 30, 2011, 08:05:14 pm
Good choice
Young
Energetic
People type person
Offensive mind

My coach was a christian. He cussed like one as well....

phdefense

Quote from: Hoghead on May 31, 2011, 03:50:48 am
Quote from: Yoster on May 30, 2011, 08:05:14 pm
Good choice
Young
Energetic
People type person
Offensive mind

My coach was a christian. He cussed like one as well....
Must have never gotten around to reading James ;)

Smithian

This poor Brooks guy. It's like a tragic novel. You know what it is coming and would do anything to stop him and save his life but there is nothing you can do to intervene as the power of free will drags him down a path of failure and unhappiness.

Earl is my Hero!!

May 31, 2011, 10:28:37 pm #69 Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:04:04 am by Earl is my Hero!!
Coaches don't hang around in VB long enough to get their parking ticket validated.

Sad little football failure in the midst of strong and storied programs...

Hoghead

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on May 31, 2011, 10:28:37 pm
Coaches don't hand around in VB long enough to get their parking ticket validated.

Sad little football failure in the midst of strong and storied programs...
They have a State Championship from the mid 90's.... The rest is like a bad episode from the Twilight Zone !

Paw-Paw

June 04, 2011, 05:36:51 am #71 Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:38:27 am by Paw-Paw
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on May 03, 2011, 02:43:27 pm
Does anyone know if they ever finished installing that revolving door on the Head Coach's office at Van Buren?

Got bored...Have had insomnia for a while.

Earl is my Hero!!

That is awesome Paw-Paw!

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on June 04, 2011, 06:41:51 am
That is awesome Paw-Paw!

Like I said, I had been up for a bit and got bored. Insomnia stinks especially on Friday going into Saturday.

edghog

"Don't underestimate the power of the........." Couldn't find anything good to replace "the dark side". Coatney is a winner. He will have success no matter where he coaches. (You're welcome Brooks. Now get to work.)

PointerAlum

I used to get all up in arms when people would trash VB football since we do have a great history up until the mid-90s, but we've been down for so long that no one remembers it. 

I was hoping that VB could build on the momentum of last years season, but it looks like VB will continue to be horrible especially if we end up in the west again with all the NWA schools. 

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: PointerAlum on June 10, 2011, 06:39:16 pm
I used to get all up in arms when people would trash VB football since we do have a great history up until the mid-90s, but we've been down for so long that no one remembers it. 

I was hoping that VB could build on the momentum of last years season, but it looks like VB will continue to be horrible especially if we end up in the west again with all the NWA schools. 

Alas, a grim reality...

Valleysports

PointerAlum you're killing me!  But I do like that you don't turn on your administration, the school, the coaches (not much anyway), people of VB - like Morrilton Fans do!  ;D  Year after year, you hope for the best only to be dissapointed.  Last year was good.  It is true that the NWA schools, with sizeable advantage, look down on VB - at least on this board.  Must be some history I don't understand, cause I've never figured that out. It's just kicking a dog when it's down, the littlest dog at that.  And see to me, being from E Texas, well several schools here have a great thing going - big dogs in a little state, with little competition.  I mean, winning a 6A or 7A Arkansas State Championship is just what it is, to be honest.  I respect VB's team and the fact that their players work as hard as anyone else, but play at a distinct disadvantage.  It is a whole lot harder to play for a losing team than a winning team.  Takes more guts, dedication, and determination, to hang in there when it isn't fun.  This is a forum for Airbags - and like you've said in the past, most of these people havn't been on much more than a Jr High gridiron themselves.  Here's to the underdog!           

PointerAlum

Quote from: Valleysports on June 10, 2011, 10:35:26 pm

PointerAlum you're killing me!  But I do like that you don't turn on your administration, the school, the coaches (not much anyway), people of VB - like Morrilton Fans do!  ;D  Year after year, you hope for the best only to be dissapointed.  Last year was good.  It is true that the NWA schools, with sizeable advantage, look down on VB - at least on this board.  Must be some history I don't understand, cause I've never figured that out. It's just kicking a dog when it's down, the littlest dog at that.  And see to me, being from E Texas, well several schools here have a great thing going - big dogs in a little state, with little competition.  I mean, winning a 6A or 7A Arkansas State Championship is just what it is, to be honest.  I respect VB's team and the fact that their players work as hard as anyone else, but play at a distinct disadvantage.  It is a whole lot harder to play for a losing team than a winning team.  Takes more guts, dedication, and determination, to hang in there when it isn't fun.  This is a forum for Airbags - and like you've said in the past, most of these people havn't been on much more than a Jr High gridiron themselves.  Here's to the underdog!           
Thanks for the post, Valley.  It would be good for Van Buren to be in a conference again with Northside and Southside, people don't get as fired up to play a bunch of schools that are located so far away.  Russellville is the only school Van Buren has consistently been in a conference with since VB moved up to 4A in the early 90's. 

Hopefully Coach Coatney will stick around for at least five years or so, obviously some continuity would be good and I seriously doubt that he will have a lot of pressure put on him to get wins right away. 

Baitshop

Quote from: PointerAlum on June 11, 2011, 01:36:08 am
Quote from: Valleysports on June 10, 2011, 10:35:26 pm

Thanks for the post, Valley.  It would be good for Van Buren to be in a conference again with Northside and Southside, people don't get as fired up to play a bunch of schools that are located so far away.  Russellville is the only school Van Buren has consistently been in a conference with since VB moved up to 4A in the early 90's. 

Hopefully Coach Coatney will stick around for at least five years or so, obviously some continuity would be good and I seriously doubt that he will have a lot of pressure put on him to get wins right away. 

From what I understand, you guys have paid Brooks enough that he will be able to fight through the loses for a few years....

husky

money or not, Coatney has to see the conference proposals, and where Ozark is proposed to go.  Wonder if he is regretting his decision.  Berryville, Pea Ridge, Gentry vs Harber, Bentonville, Rogers. 

Smithian

Van Buren should merge their coaches with Northside's players. Maybe then those schools would be worth a darn.

Valleysports

NLR-Central, HarBer-Springdale, small schools playing big schools, all have obvious reasons for being lopsided.  What is the deal with Northside?  Same as Central?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas