• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Van Buren Job

Started by Busman, May 03, 2011, 12:43:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Busman

So now you have the Van Buren job open two weeks before spring practice is to start.  Is there an assistant aleady there ready to move in, or do they name an interim to get them through spring ball while conducting a "search"?

Earl is my Hero!!

Does anyone know if they ever finished installing that revolving door on the Head Coach's office at Van Buren?

tmycjy

if the job is open for real u got the right coach there on staff that is
mike Guthrie he a asst. coach on the SR High Staff

footballfan4life

what happened to the head coach?

RGP

Quote from: footballfan4life on May 03, 2011, 07:31:10 pm
Bryant AD.

I propose they drop football.

Baitshop

Quote from: RGP on May 03, 2011, 09:01:14 pm
Quote from: footballfan4life on May 03, 2011, 07:31:10 pm
Bryant AD.

I propose they drop football.

I thought that they already did.....??

Brian G

There is a three year rotation at VB:

Year 1:  Hired a new coach threads
Year 2:  Multiple threads about the "New and Improved Season" that will occur.
Year 3:  Silence
Year 4:  Hired a new coach threads start again

footballman

Just don't have the horses to be competitive, if they did Hill would have at least stayed another 6 months. ;)

mrknowitall

Adam Pendergrass is there OC, i think he may get promoted...

Baitshop

Van Buren football has turned into a coaching graveyard....they are gonna have to throw crazy money at someone who can make a difference to get them to stay around long enough to make them relevant again....

husky

I know that this late in the game, with Harrison, Arka, and other jobs open, that Van Buren will be hard pressed to get a splash coach.  Sure, your gonna get an assistant from a few 7A schools, and probably a greenwood coach apply, but those are not the answers. 

And the only coach on staff who is qualified is Guthrie.  Who will keep it in perspective, and he is tough.  Not saying Lee wasn't, but he's not Guthrie.  If Mann or Pendergrass got the job, you would have a coach thinking he was coaching college ball, and the amount of hours that the players have to put in there is insane enough. 

They need to hire a person that wants to raise his kids there, will FINALLY give up on the triple option, and not try and be trendy.  Develop a system that will be in place for years, that every team they play knows their gonna run it, but that is why it works. 

But with all that being said, Van Buren is a graveyard for a reason.  Who they hire? and it will be no different this time.

FBC1979

GotInfo?

Have heard that they will take outside apps, but will probably promote from within...

Earl is my Hero!!

I heard Ronnie Peacock is the leading candidate...

Hoghead

The Harv Welch phone is ringing !!!!

Hogskin

The last thing they need to do is give up on the option with the talent they have year n and year out that will allways give them a chance. just ask Alma

husky

The Option is DEAD.  please make an honest list of things that could go wrong with the triple option.  then list the things that could go wrong with say, the 'inside zone'.  the back has 3 options on the inside zone on where to run, so make that comparison. 

Hogskin

If the option is dead then dont tell Oregon and Auburn because they rode it to the national championship. The only thing that could go wrong with the option is getting stopped once or twice for 3 yds instead of 4.

husky

If your calling the 'inside zone' that auburn and oregon use the option, then your correct, but that is not the triple, and that is not what Van Buren hung their hat on forever.  those are apples and oranges.  not even close to being the same offense. 

Hogskin

I thought VB was zone read, but if your talkn bout the flex it is hard to run in HS because def rarely give true reads.

husky

Zone read, is not really an option game.  At Nike COY clinic this year, Kelly stated that he recruits a throwing quarterback that has the capability to run, but would prefer him to never have to.  Mazzone at ASU, doesn't even drill a QB pull, he says it just happens.

I agree, in HS, the old triple is more headache than it is worth.  But I heard that VB was going to that next year. of course, this was before the search for new coach began.

FBC1979

the zone option is not anything like the triple, when van buren ran the triple option back in the 80's and 90s they were extremely good at it because that is what they sold out to do, they ran the same thing, same formation same terminology 7-12 and the kids were like machines by the time they got to high school, this is what van buren needs to do again, doesnt have to be with the triple option, but they need to find an offense and stick with it, make it the same at both jr highs and in the high school it will take a few years to get it down, but once they do they will be successful

Baitshop

Anything going on with this job.....I heard that the pool of applicants wasn't/isn't stellar....

Brian G

Did a semi real discussion about football break out on a VB football thread?

ladypointerfan

Does anyone know they have hired a coach yet?  If not....who are the candidates?

GotInfo?

3 names I've heard are Van P, Robert Day, and Marc Jones.  Just names that are going around the coaching circuit.

Baitshop

I know that they have made a couple of calls to inquire if there was any interest and were told "no"....

GotInfo?

Bait, I know a few coaches that they called as well, and they all said thanks, but no thanks...

Valleysports

To coach Van Buren - would be like coaching a NWA 7A, playing in a Texas 5A Conference.  ;D 

Baitshop

VB has turned into a coaching graveyard....they have nice facilities, good kids and parents, and good commuunity and administrative support....

Doesn't make sense to me...

Valleysports

Well I was hoping for a little more sass than that!  :(

Tech signed the QB & WR from my high school - can't wait to show him Arkansas Football.  :D  He's already asked me about Shiloh - who played Trinity the week before he did.  ::)

BigPoppaHog

V B Porker

Whatever happened to the idea that VB combine its two 9th grades into one and having one Jr High team. I wonder if they could beat either Alma or Greenwood if they did that.

Rida4Life

Quote from: Fisherman68 on May 13, 2011, 08:41:54 am
the zone option is not anything like the triple, when van buren ran the triple option back in the 80's and 90s they were extremely good at it because that is what they sold out to do, they ran the same thing, same formation same terminology 7-12 and the kids were like machines by the time they got to high school, this is what van buren needs to do again, doesnt have to be with the triple option, but they need to find an offense and stick with it, make it the same at both jr highs and in the high school it will take a few years to get it down, but once they do they will be successful

biggest difference is the old triple option is a frontside read where the zone option is a backside read.  It's still a triple option if you run it with a two back scheme just that your reads are opposite the dive.  Other difference is that the old school triple read the 1st lineman past the guard where the zone reads the end. 
both are effective with the correct athletes but VB was MUCH better in the old school wishbone.
but back then they also had athletes like Pendergrass, Drew Cone, and some guy named Matt Jones that helped make them pretty competitive.

5 Johnny Bench

Didn't Matt Jones graduate from FS Northside?  Pretty sure he did.  And the the zone option does not always have a backside read.  Inside zone option does.  Anyway, there are similarities with the old bone triple option, buddy of mine that has coached 25 years says that most everything is related when you start talking about different offenses and that there really are no secrets in football.......just differences is in styles of teaching it

husky

Jones graduated from Northside, but only played there is his senior year.  He learned everything option wise from Van Buren.  His dad was the Junior High Coach for years.

As far as offenses, the triple is designed to not have to maintain blocks for a long time.  The zone read is built on double teams and combo's, and blocks must be maintained longer.  It is not the quick hitting play.  Regardless of who you read.  Paul Johnson will read the PS LB when playing a 3-4 team, and then pitch off the OLB.  It is more about philosophy than scheme.

Any word on the actual coaching search?

GotInfo?

AD has said that they will have Spring Ball without a head coach, which tells me that someone on staff will probably get this job.  Other wise, you are screwing with the kids and the coaches for that matter.  In fairness, they did potition the AAA to move back SB to try and buy time to hire someone first...

Valleysports

Quote from: GotInfo? on May 19, 2011, 11:43:17 am
In fairness, they did potition the AAA to move back SB to try and buy time to hire someone first...

Idk the lingo - what's SB?  Hope Rslv don't have to move back SB - that's VB's BS.

ricepig

I may be all wet here, but what does the AAA have to do with SB? I mean besides limiting it to 2 weeks and finishing before school is out, what else would there be?

GotInfo?

SB - short hand for Spring Ball...
And the AAA limits when it takes place.  Each school has to submit when they will practice to them.  Van Buren is asking to move the dates they turned in.

ricepig

I assume VB is like most schools, it waited until baseball was over except for the championships. That only leaves 2 weeks of school left anyway, or are y'all going all June?

LH_DAD

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2011, 11:11:05 pm
I assume VB is like most schools, it waited until baseball was over except for the championships. That only leaves 2 weeks of school left anyway, or are y'all going all June?
I think you're right.  Lake Hamilton doesn't start until Monday.  Too many football players playing baseball. 

Valleysports

Wish Baseball Season ran parrallel with Basketball Season!  ::)

thebigshot

Just give the job to the guy that works at the local tire shop like how the minnesota twins did in major league. Maybe his what VB needs right now.

V B Porker

Hey that guy is the AD and tries to coach Basketball

Brian G

Lloyd is a good basketball coach.

V B Porker

He took the best talent he will have this year and crashed and burned. I wish someone else would take the guy.

V B Porker

B.G. Please accept my apology. I should not be so critical.

3up3down

May 23, 2011, 02:58:20 pm #48 Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:06:30 pm by 3up3down
Like against Batesville

My bad wrong thread

nike1029

Van Buren hires Brooks Coatney from Ozark.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas