• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former El Dorado Coach has passed away

Started by thebigshot, April 30, 2011, 12:56:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigshot

Former El Dorado football coach Garland Gregory passed away at 92 on Thursday at his home in Ruston, La. Gregory served as El Dorado's head football coach for 13 years, compiling a 101-43-6 record. He led the Wildcats to the state championship in 1958.

Gregory and that state championship team returned to Memorial Stadium in 2008 for a reunion.

"One of the first names you learn about when you come to El Dorado, if you have anything to do with athletics or El Dorado High School or the history, especially football, would be Coach Gregory," said El Dorado coach Scott Reed.

True Believer

gatecrasher

Sad news for the El Dorado football family....

Busman

When my father was head coach at Hot Springs in that era, one of the teams he could never beat was Coach Gregory and the Wildcats.  Had them down one time, and his punter kicked the ball into the back of the upback and El Dorado recovered it in the end zone to win 10-7.

Coach Gregory, Coach Matthews, Coach Stancil, Coach Burnett, had some great guys coaching in the old Big 8 and later Big 10.

spurrr

I talked with one of his former players today on his the state championship team. Some good stories about about a good coach and person.

CoachBates

My Uncle played for Coach Gregory and was always like a second father to him.  I know the Wildcat community well and Coach Gregory was a special person to EHS.  Prayers with his family.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas