• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Schools After Coach Reed

Started by cfan07, January 25, 2011, 11:43:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cfan07

heard from a good source that Scott Reed has been contacted by a number of schools to run their program.  It doesn't surprise me when you have a guy come in and do the things he has and is the third lowest paid coach in his conference.  Is it me or does El Dorado not care about it's football team.  I hope he comes here cause we will take care of him.

Brian G

SantaHog

If Jerry Jones couldn't lure him to Dallas, I doubt Notre Dame or Michigan could get him.

cfan07

No still in Arkansas just a little farther north.

Scorp

If Reed was ever considering leaving Eldo ... this might be the year for him to make the move.   His oldest son is graduating and I think (gate will know for sure) that his younger son will be entering the 10th grade next year.

Brian G

gatecrasher

Son will be a junior, and the likely starter at QB.

Every year one of these threads pops up, ala wishful thinking.

The dude had a beautiful home built just west of the El Dorado city limits. Built. Not bought.

His son is guaranteed a free ride through college as long as he maintains a 2.5 gpa, thanks to the El Dorado Promise.

Oh yeah, there's that matter of a three-peat too......

I'm gonna make one phone call later. This person would tell me whether Reed is a candidate for any job.

Scorp

Won't both of his sons be pretty much guaranteed a free ride through college from football scholarships?  The older son should I'd think.  Guess it's too early to say for the younger son.

Baitshop

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 25, 2011, 04:02:17 pm
Son will be a junior, and the likely starter at QB.

Every year one of these threads pops up, ala wishful thinking.

The dude had a beautiful home built just west of the El Dorado city limits. Built. Not bought.

His son is guaranteed a free ride through college as long as he maintains a 2.5 gpa, thanks to the El Dorado Promise.

Oh yeah, there's that matter of a three-peat too......

I'm gonna make one phone call later. This person would tell me whether Reed is a candidate for any job.

Gate....doesn't the Arkansas Lottery Scholarship Program take a bit of the "advantage", that Eldo had over other state schools, away from Wildcat athletics..??

Also, if you think that money won't eventually be a factor for Reed, you are fooling yourself....

Reed, if he is as good as you say he is, can win somewhere other than Eldo....

I say that you guys should get ready to pony up with the $$$ or you might find yourself looking for another complete staff i.e. the Southside defection.....

gatecrasher

The Promise is more lucrative than the lottery scholarships if I have been told correctly. It is cut and dried....any student that attends grades 9-12 and maintains the 2.5 has college paid for. All of it.

And I just talked to a very reliable source down there. EVERYTHING is 100% rumors. Nobody has contacted Coach Reed. He may have been mentioned on someone's short list, but nobody has made any kind of serious overture. We know he likely won't be around forever, but he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

And whoever posted that stuff earlier about his salary is full of crap. Guarandamnteed...

GotInfo?

Sorry Gate...he ranks number 6 out of 8 in your conference.  That is what the ADG posted.  Only schools he beats is LR schools.  And from what I have read on The Promise, he doesn't get all of it. My math tells me 60-65%.  I can guarantee you that he will get calls.  The question is, are any of them worth the move?  Unfortunately, only SR knows that...Anytime you go to WM 3 straight years and win back to back, everyone on that staff, HC included, becomes interested in better opportunities.

GotInfo?

Trust me, from a guy who use to be in the coaching business, jobs are always interesting.  Some guys coach and set their roots for life in jobs.  Most coaches want to move up in the profession.  So, when a better opportunity comes along, they take it.  Not saying Reed is leaving, but I promise, he always has opportunities to move...the good ones always do.

gatecrasher

The ADG? Really?

I would trust the word of someone in the administration down there, whom I have known for ages, than the frickin Demazette. Just sayin...

gatecrasher

And I know he likely won't be down in El Do forever, but he ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Besides a three-peat run, there's a matter of some unfinished business with some school in NWA that has to make that march into Da Pound in Week 2. Trust me...we may be the 2-time defending state champions but guarantee you that night left a sour taste in Coach's mouth.

I can't wait for that rematch either....

Scorp

QuoteBesides a three-peat run, there's a matter of some unfinished business with some school in NWA that has to make that march into Da Pound in Week 2.

Awright...here we go!!!   Getting an early start on it this year, huh Gate?   ;D

cfan07

Salary is a matter of public record gate so your inside sorce doesn't mean squat. I can understand that you want to make it look like he will not leave but I promise you, he has been contacted by schools wo will take care of him much better than El Do has.  My friend on the board is one who has called so I think I would know.

MarionTiger

Since Taylor is going to play at Memphis, maybe a move to NEA is in order?

cfan07

By the way Gate, do you really think the president of the football booster club would really know if reed had been contacted?

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: cfan07 on January 26, 2011, 08:42:56 am
Salary is a matter of public record gate so your inside sorce doesn't mean squat. I can understand that you want to make it look like he will not leave but I promise you, he has been contacted by schools wo will take care of him much better than El Do has.  My friend on the board is one who has called so I think I would know.
Yes it is. You stated earlier that he made less than everyone else in the conference with the exception of the Little Rock schools. Your info is incorrect. Reed makes $77,819 and Bolding from PB makes $75,789. Now I could care less just pointing that out. I didn't even bother checking the others after seeing that. Just go to each schools websites, it is public info...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 26, 2011, 09:08:39 am
Quote from: cfan07 on January 26, 2011, 08:42:56 am
Yes it is. You stated earlier that he made less than everyone else in the conference with the exception of the Little Rock schools. Your info is incorrect. Reed makes $77,819 and Bolding from PB makes $75,789. Now I could care less just pointing that out. I didn't even bother checking the others after seeing that. Just go to each schools websites, it is public info...

Texarkana's coach miller makes a little under $77,000

gatecrasher

Now Scorp...I did not say anything about winning...;D

As for the dood on here that thinks he knows more than I do about whether Coach Reed has been contacted...if it makes you feel better about yourself to act like you think you know, by all means go ahead....;)

I know what I was told last night. At least for the next year or two, Reed will be the coach of the El Dorado Wildcats. Like I said, we know he won't likely be around forever. But he ain't goin anywhere right now.

And do not think the district and others won't open their pocketbooks when that serious offer does come around.

barberkev

All for seeing him in eastern ark!

gatecrasher

Sorry yall. He will still be using the rest of 6A as a whipping post. He ain't going anywhere right now.

Brian G

gatecrasher

Irrelevant to this topic.

We will address this around the 9th of September....;)

Brian G

No need too.  Point proven in spades.  Time to get out of the Rec League

xtremewildcat

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 26, 2011, 05:59:04 pm
Irrelevant to this topic.

We will address this around the 9th of September....;)

Thanks for taking the high road Gate!!!

gatecrasher

Wrong. We have unfinished business.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: B.G. on January 26, 2011, 06:05:54 pm

I just wonder if the ex volleyball/softball player could have made the team(not start) but just make the team of any of these Rec League teams. Sure woulda been funny to watch.

Brian G

Quote from: xtremewildcat on January 26, 2011, 06:24:33 pm
Quote from: B.G. on January 26, 2011, 06:05:54 pm

I just wonder if the ex volleyball/softball player could have made the team(not start) but just make the team of any of these Rec League teams. Sure woulda been funny to watch.

You as well?  Wow that Spam error filled email went to every fool in Arkansas.

LH_DAD

Quote from: gatecrasher on January 26, 2011, 03:50:09 pm
Sorry yall. He will still be using the rest of 6A as a whipping post. He ain't going anywhere right now.
I hope he stays.  I would like to see him on the sideline when we come down there in Oct.

Pat Swilling

Post like these aren't good for a Head Coach.  Kids read FF.  Players will read this and believe it.  Creates a tough environment for coaches.  If its true a coach is leaving great.  Lets make a million comments.  But accusing a coach of looking without facts isn't fair.  I could care less if Coach Reed is looing but I can garantee you that Wildcat fb players are reading FF.  Ya'll have a great day.

redwolf143

January 27, 2011, 11:49:31 am #32 Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:08:54 am by redwolf143
Taylor is entitled to 65% of the highest priced tuition in Arkansas for his 4 years at EHS
his younger brother will be entitled to 75% when he completes his 6 years there.  Look for Reed to follow his sons into college ball when the youngest graduates.

SantaHog

It is my understanding that Taylor will not receive anything from the El Dorado promise because of NCAA rules not allowing additional scholarships to scholarship athletes.  The rule is intended to prevent the perception of players being paid to play athletics above their athletic scholarship.  Now the kids from El Dorado that get scholarships to UAPB, UAM, SAU, etc. still receive the El Dorado promise which acts like an allowance while they're attending college.

gatecrasher

Pat Swilling....+1.

Every year some nimrod has posted this topic, and like in the past, it is baseless. Nobody ever produces anything to validate what they are saying.

Scott Reed ain't going anywhere right now. Yall can put that in your pipe and smoke it.

More titles await. Sorry haters....;)

LH DAD...it is likely we will be on a 26 game home winning streak when yall go down to El Dorado next year. Simply...we don't lose at home. Been three years since we lost down there.

So come on down....;D

Scorp

Quote...it is likely we will be on a 26 game home winning streak when yall go down to El Dorado next year.

Really?  I hadn't heard that the HarBer game had been cancelled!!!   ;D   I must have missed the announcement.

gatecrasher

spurrr

Please don't get Gate going this early on his Harber vs  Eldo tirade.
Unfortunatly I'll have to make that trip. Good news is I'll stay around Saturday and eat Catfish and visit with some relatives I haven't seen in a couple of years.

xtremewildcat

Quote from: SantaHog on January 27, 2011, 01:02:28 pm
It is my understanding that Taylor will not receive anything from the El Dorado promise because of NCAA rules not allowing additional scholarships to scholarship athletes.  The rule is intended to prevent the perception of players being paid to play athletics above their athletic scholarship.  Now the kids from El Dorado that get scholarships to UAPB, UAM, SAU, etc. still receive the El Dorado promise which acts like an allowance while they're attending college.

Not UAPB, if my source is correct. But what you reported is the very reason some of the players are not being offered full scholarships from some bigger schools. I was told many of the players over the past few years are being told to walk on for the first year and they will be given a full ride after that. UAPB is doing the same thing to a couple of players this year.
What this accomplishes?
The attrition rate for first year players is pretty high. If a kid is gonna be a good fit the program, the coaches will know that after the first year. In the case of a player from ED, they are trying not to roll the dice with them by telling them to walk on the first year, because they already have money coming from the Promise.
The division II schools have differant rules that allow the kids to use funding outside of athletic scholarships. Which is why so many ED players are playing D II ball.
If you have more info about UAPB, please post it.

gatecrasher

Don't worry spurr. Im not gonna get into all that right now...

But we're gonna be good. And it won't be the debacle from last year either...

spurrr

redwolf143

Quote from: SantaHog on January 27, 2011, 01:02:28 pm

Forgot about that requirement, you are correct although I don't really consider Memphis football D1 right now.... post altered.

thebigshot

I done some checking myself and found out today that Reed is very happy at El Dorado. #1 Don't believe everything you read in the ADG, it might be a decent source to look at but if you wanna find out the truth just call Reed for yourself or call the El Dorado Office. Reed will be staying at El Dorado for another four more years. He wants to have the same thing with his youngest son.  You people can get on here and make statements saying by comparing lottery to the promise. Promise is a done deal, the lottery you actually got to wait to get approved and all the paper work, etc..... Oh wait... Money isn't everything, money can't buy a happiness, people have failed to understand that in today's world. It shows your right there that life isn't about money and greed.

GotInfo?

SantaHog is right.  At D-1 schools, other aide is not allowed except for pell grants.  Even those are limited to how many guys on your team can get money back.  1-AA, UAPB and UCA, only has 63 full scholarships.  They, like D2 schools, have to split them into pieces to field a full team.  Some guys may get full athletic schollys, others may just get 1000 bucks.  The players at El Dorado are at a big advantage, because if they are full promise and also get lottery money, school wont cost them a dime, nor will said school have to use football money on them.  They get good players for free. 

GotInfo?

Unfortunately, kids these days get caught up on getting that "Football Scholarship" and lose the Big Picture when it comes to college football at the 1-AA and D2 levels.  They see D1 schools give full rides and think they all are like that and they are not.  Trust me, one of the best players I ever coached, didn't cost us a dime because he was on academic money and full pell grant.  Made All-Conference his last 2 years. 
About Reed, I'm certain he gets calls every year and will this year.  That's what happens when you are one of the good ones.  I mean, how do you think he got the ElDo job in the first place...Administration just needs to keep the man happy.  I know that he and the other coaches have had to bust their tails to raise money for the program to work every year and to buy rings...that is just sad...

bigeldofan

#1 lucas reed is gonna be a junior so if he is waiting on him to graduate it will be 2 years not 4 also coach reed isnt the only one with a career in that family his wife mrs. connie reed is the principal at hugh goodwin school and also gets a nice income. it is my belief and i could be wrong they are happy here they are within an hour and a half from retired coach bill reed and i believe they are going to stay pretty close to them i go to practice all the time and bill reed drives down and watches his grandkids i don't think they will do anything to mess that up. also like gate said coach reed built a very nice house and he built it during the time that the economy wasnt looking that good so i believe he made a big commitment to stay here. you cant just sell a house when you want to. also spring practice is around the corner if coach reed was going to leave he would have already done it he believes in being prepared.

Baitshop

Quote from: thebigshot on January 31, 2011, 06:11:20 pm
I done some checking myself and found out today that Reed is very happy at El Dorado. #1 Don't believe everything you read in the ADG, it might be a decent source to look at but if you wanna find out the truth just call Reed for yourself or call the El Dorado Office. Reed will be staying at El Dorado for another four more years. He wants to have the same thing with his youngest son.  You people can get on here and make statements saying by comparing lottery to the promise. Promise is a done deal, the lottery you actually got to wait to get approved and all the paper work, etc..... Oh wait... Money isn't everything, money can't buy a happiness, people have failed to understand that in today's world. It shows your right there that life isn't about money and greed.

Again, your overestimating Eldo's position.....if ANY 7A West school called with $90K in their hand, Reed would run, not walk, to take that job.....and that is the NWA PROMISE....

xtremewildcat

Quote from: Baitshop on February 01, 2011, 03:37:23 pm

Again, your overestimating Eldo's position.....if ANY 7A West school called with $90K in their hand, Reed would run, not walk, to take that job.....and that is the NWA PROMISE....

Just speculating, what team would/could pony up that kinda money for him and get rid of who they have?
And OBTW, I can say the same thing about any school in Texas buying any of those coaches in NWA, if they wanted to!

gatecrasher

February 01, 2011, 09:39:05 pm #48 Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:41:10 pm by gatecrasher
Coach Reed is doing just fine financially. I'll just leave it at that.

And he dadgum sure ain't going anywhere until his other son graduates at the absolute earliest.

redwolf143

Quote from: Baitshop on February 01, 2011, 03:37:23 pm

Bait in most cases you would be right but in this one you just arn't.  Yes he'd show interest but I have little doubt that Murphy would respond with a matching offer if not better for him to remain with the team he's led to three strait state championship games.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas