• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bentonville vs. Texas High (Texarkana)

Started by AHS06, July 13, 2010, 06:08:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AHS06

Bentonville will get a chance to flex their 7A muscles against 4A power Texas High.  Given Texas High has had much success against Arkansas teams in the past I hope Bentonville will take care of business.  They have beaten cross town rival (Texarkana, AR) 9 years straight and has beaten Lake Hamilton the past two seasons.  This should be a close game and I give Bentonville the edge only because its an Arkansas thing.  Gate-why your wildcats didnt schedule these Tigers?

gatecrasher

July 13, 2010, 07:49:21 pm #1 Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:50:58 pm by gatecrasher
Not sure.

Initially, discussions were with West Monroe, Shreveport Evangel (who I thought we were gonna get for a few days), FS Souhside, Bentonville, and Greenwood. We wound up with LR Catholic , but that got blown out of the water when Scooter left. Then Chris Wood came calling, and we wound up with a marquee NC opponent after all....

We've played Texas High twice. We won in 1987 (my senior year) 13-9, and lost to them in 1999 by a 38-24 count in one of the most controversial games I've ever seen on any level....I'll touch on it later if you wish....;)

Valleysports

Was digging through some old junk, last week, and found the Letter and Patch off my Dad's 1957, Texas High, State Championship Jacket.

Bentonville should whoop up on Texas High - A David and Goliath.  This isn't the 50's and Texas High isn't known as a Power, in Texas, anyway.   ::) 

True Believer

Go Bentonville.  Billlyo should be proud. 

Earl is my Hero!!

Sorry Boys and Girls, but I'm afraid it will be a down year for the Tigers.

And I'm afraid we have lost BillyO as well...

AHS06

Quote from: Valleysports on July 14, 2010, 05:16:55 am
Was digging through some old junk, last week, and found the Letter and Patch off my Dad's 1957, Texas High, State Championship Jacket.

Bentonville should whoop up on Texas High - A David and Goliath.  This isn't the 50's and Texas High isn't known as a Power, in Texas, anyway.   ::) 

This will be no David and Goliath.  This should be a close game.  THS has a powerful running back that Bentonville is not use to seeing in the 7A.  In Texas 4A,  Texas High is considered a power.

Valleysports

July 14, 2010, 11:11:28 am #6 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:13:22 am by Valleysports
In Arkansas 5A, Monticello Billies are considered a Power House! 
You Arkies have such Low Self Esteem!  :P

Tigersr1

I think it will be closer than people think. I am afraid that our defense will be a little down this year unless we make a few changes at certain positions. I do believe that we will be able to stop the run pretty well however, but a good passing game could give us some trouble. On offense we should still be able to put up some points and outscore most teams. I see a 7-3 season for the Tigers.

Baitshop

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on July 14, 2010, 08:20:55 am
1.) Sorry Boys and Girls, but I'm afraid it will be a down year for the Tigers.

2.) And I'm afraid we have lost BillyO as well...

1. That's not what I heard from 2 prominent Tigger parents.....said that both lines were huge, ala '08, and that the Tiggers were going to return to the Blackman days of pounding the ball...

2. I thought that he had been too quite this summer....did he move..??..??

Valleysports

Hey Tigersr1 - good to see you on here!  Fellow Red Raider here, from the day.  Bentonville is a Texas 5A Large.  Second Half is where the difference is, when they're alternating their 3rd, 1st string! 

There is quiet a big jump from Arkansas 6A South to 7A West.   ;D   ;D    ;D 

AHS06

Its obvious you know nothing of Texas High.  They are on the border of moving up to 5A in Texas.  The size of Bentonville school is not going to play a factor.  Texas High is 4A in Texas and would be in the top tier of 7A schools in Arkansas (Population).  Texas has the same dept as Bentonville with better athletes.  I am pulling for Bentonville being from the Arkansas side, but Texas High is no fluke and they have the track to prove it.

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Tigersr1 on July 14, 2010, 11:28:16 am
I think it will be closer than people think. I am afraid that our defense will be a little down this year unless we make a few changes at certain positions. I do believe that we will be able to stop the run pretty well however, but a good passing game could give us some trouble. On offense we should still be able to put up some points and outscore most teams. I see a 7-3 season for the Tigers.

which tigers?  aren't bentonville the tigers too?  that's confusing! 

Valleysports

July 14, 2010, 06:32:47 pm #12 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:50:15 pm by Valleysports
Texarkana, Texas, is basically my hometown ASH, although I played for Tyler through High School.  Spent a lot of days working out at Tiger Stadium with my Buddies (Texas High Football Graduates) while we were playing College Ball.  Pretty much heard about every Texas High game since I can remember my Grandfather talking football or my dad's teamates talking Watty Myers!  ;)

And I'd bet I've dated more Texas High Girls than you.  There are some pretty good looking girls in that school - guess my dad thought that about my Texas High Cheerleader Mom! Don't say nothin bout my momma!

I know a lil somthin bout em - what are your credentials? 
How many times did you play against Texas High? 

Valleysports

We always go here - I just can't get over how the 6A South worships Texas High. 
Guess it's all about perspective! Well it's an Arkansas Board - so I'll give!  ::)

spurrr

From the 2 times I watched Bville this spring they are going to be pretty good!

Quite Frankly

When Lunney has a team that is not talked about as much as others, it often leads to surprising people.

7AFBFAN

Bentonville playing the underdog and surprising people would definitely be a new role. The 7A West will be loaded next year so even the 6th place team might surpise people. :)

Baitshop

I don't see how that a school with 2700 students shouldn't be dominating schools with 40% less students every year.....

Barry ought to win it every year....he has more students, more move ins, the best facilities, the biggest coaching staff, and his booster club is littered with Fortune 500 businesses who are anxious to prove their undying love to the hometown of WalMart......

ricepig

July 14, 2010, 11:05:50 pm #18 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:13:10 pm by ricepig
This is a little bit off subject, but our basketball team played in a tournament last weekend in the Dallas area. They played several games at Duncanville High School, a buddy who went said they
had 6 gyms and supposedly 3000 students per class? I can't believe there would be that many at a high
school. By the way, the Canes came in second in their division.

Well, after a little surfing, I found he missed it by 1/2. They only have 6000 students in 9-12.

Quite Frankly

Quote from: Baitshop on July 14, 2010, 10:22:41 pm
I don't see how that a school with 2700 students shouldn't be dominating schools with 40% less students every year.....

Barry ought to win it every year....he has more students, more move ins, the best facilities, the biggest coaching staff, and his booster club is littered with Fortune 500 businesses who are anxious to prove their undying love to the hometown of WalMart......

Hard to play everyone's son there.  Even the rich ones.

gatecrasher

Don't mess with Texas....

Texas High will win the game.

Baitshop

Quote from: QF© on July 14, 2010, 11:07:20 pm

Haha....I think that that happens even at Hackett....everybody's boy ought to be a starter.....and rich is relative.....there's rich, and then there is the richest in your town.....

Either way, if you have 40% more kids in your school, tremendous facilities, and what ever you ask for from a coaching standpoint, and  you don't win it 70% of the time then you are underperforming....

JMHO

gatecrasher

Numbers and facilities don't necessarily equal titles....

Just sayin....

Baitshop

Well, Bentonville has numbers, facilities, AND a HOF coach......

No excuses left.....

gatecrasher

True....
But the coaches can only do so much. The players still have to perform.

Quite Frankly

July 14, 2010, 11:27:42 pm #25 Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:45:49 pm by QF©
Quote from: Baitshop on July 14, 2010, 11:20:56 pm

Haha....I think that that happens even at Hackett....everybody's boy ought to be a starter.....and rich is relative.....there's rich, and then there is the richest in your town.....

Either way, if you have 40% more kids in your school, tremendous facilities, and what ever you ask for from a coaching standpoint, and  you don't win it 70% of the time then you are underperforming....

JMHO

I should say it better.  There are more rich kids with parents than available slots on the field(22).  Of course I'm being a little facetious (surprise), but all schools deal with Booster Club dads and bankers sons.

BHS is a melting pot though.  Move-ins from all over the country with big money come and go yearly.  Lots of major donors and their company.  Even the great Lunney has to face some things that he really shouldn't have too.

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on July 14, 2010, 11:11:28 am
In Arkansas 5A, Monticello Billies are considered a Power House! 
You Arkies have such Low Self Esteem!  :P

I wouldn't go that far my friend. No one but people in Monticello think they are a powerhouse program haha.

Valleysports

As QF would say - I was being facetious!  ;)

Quote from: AHS06 on July 14, 2010, 09:16:12 am
In Texas 4A,  Texas High is considered a power.
Well in Arkansas 5A . . . . . . . .

Baitshop

Quote from: QF© on July 14, 2010, 11:27:42 pm
Quote from: Baitshop on July 14, 2010, 11:20:56 pm

JMHO

I should say it better.  There are more rich kids with parents than available slots on the field(22).  Of course I'm being a little facetious (surprise), but all schools deal with Booster Club dads and bankers sons.

BHS is a melting pot though.  Move-ins from all over the country with big money come and go yearly.  Lots of major donors and their company.  Even the great Lunney has to face some things that he really shouldn't have too.

I agree with that also.......BUT, if I had 2700 students to choose from versus 1500......I would like my chances.....

AHS06

Quote from: Valleysports on July 15, 2010, 07:19:24 am

Valley as I stated earlier you know nothing of Texas High.  For the 2010-2012 UIL (sports) numbers Texas High has 1,989 student enrollment.  I played against Texas High my whole football career at Arkansas High.  And if your a Tyler resident or ball player, you know Texas High whips John Tyler 5A every year (they dont play Tyler Lee anymore).

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Baitshop on July 15, 2010, 08:45:07 am
I agree with that also.......BUT, if I had 2700 students to choose from versus 1500......I would like my chances.....

Yeah, but 90% of that extra 1,200 students skews to either the Pocket-Protector/Slide-Rule crowd or the emo faction.

You gotta remember, not everyone up here is as rugged as The Earl. We do have quite a few computer geeks and bean counters to support the hundreds of billions of dollars in commerce that flows through our beloved little hamlet...

Baitshop

Valleysports

Quote from: AHS06 on July 15, 2010, 08:53:44 am
I played against Texas High my whole football career at Arkansas High.
Nough said - not beating them in a decade would definitely lead to different perspectives!

Quotethey dont play Tyler Lee anymore.
Yeh I played for Lee - Texas High dropped to a smaller school conference after my time.

I am definitely glad to know you played on the drunk side of stateline.  ;D

AHS06

Quote from: Valleysports on July 15, 2010, 12:00:57 pm
Quote from: AHS06 on July 15, 2010, 08:53:44 am
I played against Texas High my whole football career at Arkansas High.
Nough said - not beating them in a decade would definitely lead to different perspectives!

Quotethey dont play Tyler Lee anymore.
Yeh I played for Lee - Texas High dropped to a smaller school conference after my time.

I am definitely glad to know you played on the drunk side of stateline.  ;D
How does Lee measure up to Longview, Lee is the biggest school in that district.  Yeah I am a proud graduate of Arkansas High School.  Coach Norton is doing a great with those guys over there at THS.  Drunk side never....we are the wet side

AirWarren

Quote from: Valleysports on July 15, 2010, 07:19:24 am

I figured so. Powerhouse and monticello shouldn't be in the same sentence!  ;D

businesstron

I want to give Bentonville the nod just because they playing the game in Tiger Stadium.  But as far as I know.  They 12 starters from last year coming back. Six on offense, six on defense.  THS's running back is a stud he's been on varsity since his sophmore year.  I think they have two other who are also good  They have decent size on both lines and they have alotta speed and experience coming back on defense.  They played Longview to a 3 point game last year.  If you didn't know Longview was the 4a division I runner up last year.  They also lost be 6 to Marshal another decent east Texas team.  They would've probably went deeper into the playoffs if they wouldn't of been bit by the injury bug. 

In some ways they are similar to North Little Rock but I'd say NLR has more size this year.  I'm interested to see how Bentonville's gonna deal with THS's speed.  The last couple of time's they've historically played a school with good speed and decent size they've lost.  (NLR a couple of years ago). 

Highlights of THS's running back.

gatecrasher

Marshall and Longview would pound Bentonville into smithereens....

Just sayin....

Texarkana_Piggie

as much as it absolutely kills me to say this....and it mean it makes me throw up in my mouth a little....i have to go with texas high in this game.  barry and the tigers are not going to accept losing to an arkansas team.

7AFBFAN

So since apparently Marshall, Longview, and Texarkana are pretty comparable and evidently it is being said Bentonville can't even get close to Marshall or Longview that would mean some think that Bentonville will get slaughtered by Texarkana. Even if Bentonville happened to have a down year that is still laughable. I bet Bentonville gives them a run for their money.   

Texarkana_Piggie

i don't think it will be a run away, but a very close game.  but i do think ths will pull it out.

gatecrasher

I've said it before.....with a few exceptions (04 LR Central, 05 Springdale), ain't nobody from our state got any business in Texas playing the real BIG BOYS of high school football.

The Big Boys do not reside in NWA....sorry folks.

THS will win by two scores, as I said earlier in the thread.

zebradynasty

Quote from: businesstron on July 17, 2010, 03:50:44 pm
I want to give Bentonville the nod just because they playing the game in Tiger Stadium.  But as far as I know.  They 12 starters from last year coming back. Six on offense, six on defense.  THS's running back is a stud he's been on varsity since his sophmore year.  I think they have two other who are also good  They have decent size on both lines and they have alotta speed and experience coming back on defense.  They played Longview to a 3 point game last year.  If you didn't know Longview was the 4a division I runner up last year.  They also lost be 6 to Marshal another decent east Texas team.  They would've probably went deeper into the playoffs if they wouldn't of been bit by the injury bug. 

In some ways they are similar to North Little Rock but I'd say NLR has more size this year.  I'm interested to see how Bentonville's gonna deal with THS's speed.  The last couple of time's they've historically played a school with good speed and decent size they've lost.  (NLR a couple of years ago). 

Highlights of THS's running back.

Running back reminds me of current hog Dennis Johnson. If THS has a OL it will be hard to stop him.

businesstron

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 17, 2010, 11:29:16 pm
Marshall and Longview would pound Bentonville into smithereens....

Just sayin....

Last year I would totally agree with you.  I'm not too sure yet this year.  Longview lost ALOT from last year.  Even though they usually do a great job of reloading they'll still be young.  So they'll have a bunch of unknowns suiting up in August.  I can't speak for Marshal...I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

businesstron

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on July 18, 2010, 05:42:49 pm
So since apparently Marshall, Longview, and Texarkana are pretty comparable and evidently it is being said Bentonville can't even get close to Marshall or Longview that would mean some think that Bentonville will get slaughtered by Texarkana. Even if Bentonville happened to have a down year that is still laughable. I bet Bentonville gives them a run for their money.  

If THS finds a QB (which is basically their only unknown right now)  Bentonville's defense won't stop em.   The last two QBs to come through THS have been Ryan Mallet(you should know about him) and Alan Sorenson (4 year starter playing for Oklahoma State now).  It'll be scary if Norten finds a QB to balance out to offense.. They've already got some solid receivers..

Valleysports

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 18, 2010, 06:08:43 pm
I've said it before.....with a few exceptions (04 LR Central, 05 Springdale), ain't nobody from our state got any business in Texas playing the real BIG BOYS of high school football.

Marshall, Longview, Texarkana, aint' real BIG BOYS in Texas - that's the reason they dropped to 4A. Gate if you don't think Eldo has any business playing these Texas 4A teams, then Har-Ber is fixing to rip your team a new one!!!!  And trust me, I havn't had much respect for Arkansas Football in the past!  8) 

AHS06

Valley do you know anything about high school football?  Texas High dropped from 5A years ago due to enrollment numbers.  They are currently like 50 students from being 5A.  Longview is back in 5A.  Longview the #1 4A last year beat Allen #1 5A.  Eldorado is going to beat up on Har-Ber.  I hate to say this but Texas High is going to roll Bentonville.  They always have a big lines and they have to much speed for Bentonville.

SantaHog

If they're playing in Texas, it should be an eye-opening experience for Bentonville.  Texas plays by NCAA rules, so holding calls on the line are different.  It's probably a bigger game for Bentonville than Texas High.  I know Texas High did not get up for the games with Lake Hamilton.

Smithian

Quote from: gatecrasher on July 13, 2010, 07:49:21 pm
We've played Texas High twice. We won in 1987 (my senior year) 13-9, and lost to them in 1999 by a 38-24 count in one of the most controversial games I've ever seen on any level....I'll touch on it later if you wish....;)
No thanks.

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on July 14, 2010, 08:20:55 am
Sorry Boys and Girls, but I'm afraid it will be a down year for the Tigers.

And I'm afraid we have lost BillyO as well...
1. BS

2. Double BS

Quote from: QF© on July 14, 2010, 07:15:32 pm
When Lunney has a team that is not talked about as much as others, it often leads to surprising people.
I think Mr. Earl got pulled into an office and told to stop riling up the masses on Fearless. The morale of Lunney's kids was dropping when they read Bait's prognostications.

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on July 15, 2010, 09:54:25 am
Yeah, but 90% of that extra 1,200 students skews to either the Pocket-Protector/Slide-Rule crowd or the emo faction.

You gotta remember, not everyone up here is as rugged as The Earl. We do have quite a few computer geeks and bean counters to support the hundreds of billions of dollars in commerce that flows through our beloved little hamlet...
Don't forget the bandies. You should be more proud of your son's chosen path in high school.

Quote from: Baitshop on July 15, 2010, 10:03:36 am
Where did Billyo go..??..??

Somewhere in the dark yellow area.

Pop Tart

SantaHog- game is Sept.17 at Bentonville.

ricepig

I always put BillyO as an Overland Park type of guy, but who knows, I haven't been in that are in 15 years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas