• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monk commits to Kentucky

Started by Maclin on your girl, November 18, 2015, 10:29:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Maclin on your girl

WPWells

I hope he doesn't expect any love at high school games this year

pioneers

Instead of being angry at the kid how about you be happy for him. This is a big deal for a young kid he will essentially go where he feels more at home and obviously MA and staff didn't do a very good job at that.

bdubyab60

I dont how they didnt. had free access to every game, practice facilities job for big brother at one point. Hes not going to Kentucky to feel at home. Something was said about Marcus saying gong to the Hogs would be a distraction. Not sure how true that is but it really goes against what Marcus has said all along of letting it be Maliks decision. Unless he is covering for Malik but all they had to do was wait until the late period to announce. i think hes gonna get booed in about every gym he plays in this year.

I wish him luck until he plays the Hogs and when they do I hope he doesnt score a point.

ricepig

Quote from: pioneers on November 18, 2015, 10:58:42 am
Instead of being angry at the kid how about you be happy for him. This is a big deal for a young kid he will essentially go where he feels more at home and obviously MA and staff didn't do a very good job at that.

Nope, it's a business decision for team Monk. I never begrudge someone/family for doing what they think is in their best financial interest. I only watch Arkansas basketball and the NCAA tournament, so, I'll catch him when we play KY.

Missco

Wow, I don't see how anybody could see fault with his choice. He is just doing what he thinks is best.

pioneers

Quote from: Missco on November 18, 2015, 11:32:57 am
Wow, I don't see how anybody could see fault with his choice. He is just doing what he thinks is best.
But it's not what THEY think is best. the fans being upset is one thing but people like Bobby Portia tweeting about it is another. I thought hobby was classier than that.

WPWells

A lot of people are sour for how he used the NWA area to gain exposure and then just discarded it

Missco

That's their fault not his....Heis the real deal. He would still be big-time even if he had stayed in Lepanto.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 11:40:11 am
A lot of people are sour for how he used the NWA area to gain exposure and then just discarded it

Bentonville shouldn't recruit 1 and done types....I kid I kid

WPWells

November 18, 2015, 12:00:40 pm #10 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:07:03 pm by 12th Man CHS
Obviously this was the best decision. It was clearly the fact that he played at Arkansas that caused Portis to drop all the way to #20 ::)

pioneers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 12:00:40 pm
Obviously this was the best decision. It was clearly the fact that he played at Arkansas that caused Portis to drop all the way to #13 ::)
A lot of money difference in lottery pick and 13 but that's none of my business ☕️🐸

WPWells

November 18, 2015, 12:05:46 pm #12 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 12:07:26 pm by 12th Man CHS
Malik is better than Bobby. My point was Portis still went in the first round at Arkansas

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 12:00:40 pm
Obviously this was the best decision. It was clearly the fact that he played at Arkansas that caused Portis to drop all the way to #13 ::)

Go to Kentucky...play with a bunch of future nba guys, compete for a national championship....I'm failing to see the downside for him here...

Moonshiner

Was Arkansas even a close 2nd?  Kept hearing Oregon. 
Selfishly I wanted him to be a hog.  He's the type of player that could turn your program around quickly.  But it's his decision to make and he made it.  Just like we as fans have a decision to make as to whether we praise him or criticize.   Regardless, Kentucky is an enemy of this state and he joined forces with them.

Maynard G Krebs

Good luck and good bye.. Moving on, he made what he feels is best for him.  Can't fault him.

pioneers

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 12:05:46 pm
Malik is better than Bobby. My point was Portis still went in the first round at Arkansas
He may have went in the first round but he isn't getting any playing time at Chicago? He has played in 2 games all year.

urban legend2

It's really good to see no one is bashing this kid on herr. He has the right to go where he chooses. I can't and won't fault him for that. He's a good kid from what I know and have seen of him. As a Hog fan, it's disappointing and I'll root against him when we play UK. Aside from that, I'll root for him and hope he has a great career there and beyond. Wish him nothing but the best.

Silky Johnson

Yeah go tell Portis how to get more playing time on the Chicago Bulls. I'm sure you've logged enough NBA minutes in your day.

rskyb33

Another one and done for a team full of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catfish

Quote from: pioneers on November 18, 2015, 01:48:09 pm
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 18, 2015, 12:05:46 pm
He may have went in the first round but he isn't getting any playing time at Chicago? He has played in 2 games all year.

The Bulls are one of the best team in the east, with a stacked front court. What exactly are you expecting him to do 10 games into the season? lol He will be just fine

Moonshiner

Yeah I'm not really sure which veteran player this rookie is supposed to play in front of immediately.  His time will come.

Head Lion

I wish him well on his decision. Fact, he is 0-2 vs. The Manila Lions!

Razorback Red

I have been quiet on this topic for almost a week, trying to rationalize how I feel about it.  I don't ever think it's bad when any young man in AR is highly ranked and highly recruited; that is good for our state.  As a die-hard Hog fan, it hurts.  As a die-hard Bentonville Tiger fan, I am very happy for Malik. 

It is tough to fault any athlete for making the decision they feel is best for them.  That still doesn't take the sting away. 

Will I root for Malik this season, absolutely.  I hope he can bring a title to Bentonville.  As for next season, I will root for him to play well every game, while rooting for BBN to lose every game.  I guess that's part of being a Hog fan. 

If it had not been UK, I'm not sure some fans would have reacted the way they did.  I think Kansas or Duke or UNC would have been easier to take for Hog fans. 

Just my two cents, but on that note, go Malik and go Bentonville!

mrcptkirk

Quote from: pioneers on November 18, 2015, 11:37:06 am
Quote from: Missco on November 18, 2015, 11:32:57 am
But it's not what THEY think is best. the fans being upset is one thing but people like Bobby Portia tweeting about it is another. I thought hobby was classier than that.

I agree, his didnt stay at Arkansas.

Busman

We in AR don't like to hear this, but if a kid is offered by OSU, Notre Dame or Bama in football, or Kentucky, Duke or Kansas in BB, you can't fault a kid for going. Arkansas MAY be one of those schools in baseball now.

WPWells

Arkansas is one of those schools in baseball, but baseball recruiting is a little strange because of the fine line between wanting to sign the best prospects vs signing the best prospects that you actually think will come to campus

Hornet4ever

Don't blame him. Arkansas basketball is in a current struggle, if you were in his shoes why would you commit to the Hogs. He knows his future would be better off with Kentucky? Doesn't suprise me one bit. Hopefully the hog basketball program can achieve better things and we can improve so we don't lose any more recruits.

Busman

The only reason I said "may" for baseball is the absence of a National Championship. We are kind of like one of those golfers that are the best golfers never to win a major.

always88

He chose to follow the money and play for the team he believes to be his best opportunity at a National Championship and ultimately more money!

bdubyab60

pioneers

Silky Johnson

Bentonville lost to Chaminade in St. Louis 76-57. Monk had 36 pts and 6 reb. Jayson Tatum had 40 points and 17 rebounds, I think he's a Duke commit.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Malik Monk isn't stupid, he made a very smart decision...congrats and good luck to him...

Moonshiner

I'm sure folks are still lining up to see him play.  My question though, is he still getting the rock star treatment since signing with Kentucky?  Are the opposing teams giving him a hard time?

mack

Quote from: Moonshiner on December 14, 2015, 08:27:49 am
I'm sure folks are still lining up to see him play.  My question though, is he still getting the rock star treatment since signing with Kentucky?  Are the opposing teams giving him a hard time?
us

Marcus who?

jr17

Can't fault the kid. But my question is to the recruiters on the hill. When are we going to start getting these in state recruits. (Monk, Archie, Allen) just to name a few. To turn the program around, we gotta start getting these guys up there. Just my opinion.

Silky Johnson

The program is in shambles lol it might be awhile before there's a turnaround of any sort.

bdubyab60

The crowd was mostly for Monk in Jtown. There were a few boos when he was announced though. Every player from Arlington that got a play on him their bench went crazy. One kid they had picked his pocket twice in a row and you would have thought they won a state title. No such luck in the second half though.

Place emptied out as soon as he left the court with people in line to get autographs.

Hornet4ever

Monk will probably be a one and done

ISU7

Arkansas lost to Mercer @ home last night. :o  Monk chose the right team.. :-X 8)

ricepig

Quote from: ISU7 on December 20, 2015, 07:22:46 am
Arkansas lost to Mercer @ home last night. :o  Monk chose the right team.. :-X 8)

Game was in NLR, who did ISU lose to at home?

Missco

Northern Iowa is a better program than most SEC basketball programs at this time.

ricepig

Quote from: Missco on December 20, 2015, 11:06:28 am
Northern Iowa is a better program than most SEC basketball programs at this time.

So is Mercer........

gameoflife

kid just did what was in his best interest, how do you blame him. Now I will say, I don't care one way or the other how he does at Kentucky. Non interest to me now.

Eagle20

Quote from: jr17 on December 14, 2015, 09:33:01 am
Can't fault the kid. But my question is to the recruiters on the hill. When are we going to start getting these in state recruits. (Monk, Archie, Allen) just to name a few. To turn the program around, we gotta start getting these guys up there. Just my opinion.
You have to have program they want to come and be a part of with a reasonable expectation of being in the NCAA tourney every year!

gameoflife

UA basketball isn't going to attract a lot of really good kids right now.

BrianfromCarlisle

Next years team with him would have been an immediate contender.  Without him they will still be poised for a deep run. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas