• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Relocation of State Basketball Finale

Started by mrcptkirk, March 16, 2015, 09:18:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcptkirk

2ND year back at Hot Spring and problem that a lot of us for seen came about. Big game and not enough space to watch the game.......was at the game 2 hours before doors open, standing room only people pushing, small arguments start about places in line......inside there was also standing room only, this was for the 11:00 game, people was turned away and this was the best place to have the state finales, WHAT A JOKE.

AAA shame on you :-[

DerekOxford

Quote from: mrcptkirk on March 16, 2015, 09:18:47 am
2ND year back at Hot Spring and problem that a lot of us for seen came about. Big game and not enough space to watch the game.......was at the game 2 hours before doors open, standing room only people pushing, small arguments start about places in line......inside there was also standing room only, this was for the 11:00 game, people was turned away and this was the best place to have the state finales, WHAT A JOKE.

AAA shame on you :-[

Back to Barton!

Rocket23

Just not feasible for anywhere else.  Verizion is just too big.  When most of the other match ups have two to four thousand, the atmosphere wouldn't be there like in 6,200 summit arena.

I understand the frustration.

Cabotred

March 16, 2015, 10:05:25 am #3 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:07:55 am by Cabotred
Verizon has hosted it in past, 2004 I think.  Th attendance for 7A boys final was over 14,000. From what I understand it is an expense issue with AAA.  Verizion is just to costly compared to Summit.  The increased ticket sales would not offset the additional cost of having it in NLR. 

Pulaski County owns Verizion.  It seems that the economics impact would justify working with AAA to be able to host tournament in their county. Ask Verizion to cut profit for this weekend to help county as a whole. We are talking the about the students and general population of AR benefiting from this not some promoter from LA.

I read or heard some where the economic impact of the SEC Ladies tournament was 2.5 million. Surely the High School finals weekend would generated similar attendance and therefore similiar impact.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: Cabotred on March 16, 2015, 10:05:25 am
Verizon has hosted it in past, 2004 I think.  Th attendance for 7A boys final was over 14,000. From what I understand it is an expense issue with AAA.  Verizion is just to costly compared to Summit.  The increased ticket sales would not offset the additional cost of having it in NLR. 

Pulaski County owns Verizion.  It seems that the economics impact would justify working with AAA to be able to host tournament in their county. Ask Verizion to cut profit for this weekend to help county as a whole. We are talking the about the students and general population of AR benefiting from this not some promoter from LA.

I read or heard some where the economic impact of the SEC Ladies tournament was 2.5 million. Surely the High School finals weekend would generated similar attendance and therefore similiar impact.

Good point, I went to the championship that was held at Barton, rmbr reading some likes/dislikes of that, the most was about the rest rooms, I was there for all 3 days, parking was good alot didn't have to park off the fairgrounds, they even had carts going around to pickup the handicap people too.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

I liked it at Barton, myself. Centrally located, and as already been noted, plenty of parking. But, if I remember correctly, the games on the fact day of the 7A game, believe it was N.L.R. abd Fayetteville boys, it was still packed. You would think, Verizon could do it for "cost"  and right it off of their taxes.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 16, 2015, 10:46:04 am
I liked it at Barton, myself. Centrally located, and as already been noted, plenty of parking. But, if I remember correctly, the games on the fact day of the 7A game, believe it was N.L.R. abd Fayetteville boys, it was still packed. You would think, Verizon could do it for "cost"  and right it off of their taxes.

Yes 100% on that, 7A game was the game of the nite.

businesstron

March 16, 2015, 04:21:49 pm #7 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:25:21 pm by businesstron
It sounds like it's going to be in Hot Springs until 2021. I liked it better in Barton.  I believe they set or almost set a record for attendance at Barton.  Plus it's was easier to find a decent hotel room in Little Rock versus finding one in Hot Springs. 

http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-ozark-native-rippy-becomes-emotional-following-siloam-springs-loss

mrcptkirk

Quote from: businesstron on March 16, 2015, 04:21:49 pm
It sounds like it's going to be in Hot Springs until 2021. I liked it better in Barton.  I believe they set or almost set a record for attendance at Barton.  Plus it's was easier to find a decent hotel room in Little vs Hot Springs. 

http://swtimes.com/sports/basketball-ozark-native-rippy-becomes-emotional-following-siloam-springs-loss

Agree, also when a team has the last game at night driving from Hot Spring is rough with no light drivng.

ballmember

The area around Barton is not safe!! In fact, Little Rock is a very unsafe city; and should no way be a place to reward the teams for having an excellent year.  Why does it have to be a central location, why not northwest arkansas:  Barnhill for example.    Barton is the pits.   When they gave up having all the games at Barton and moving them around the state, basketball got exciting again.  It is about the kids and the schools.  Never hurts anyone to stand for one game.   Little Rock is not a sports town.   

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: ballmember on March 16, 2015, 04:51:55 pm
The area around Barton is not safe!! In fact, Little Rock is a very unsafe city; and should no way be a place to reward the teams for having an excellent year.  Why does it have to be a central location, why not northwest arkansas:  Barnhill for example.    Barton is the pits.   When they gave up having all the games at Barton and moving them around the state, basketball got exciting again.  It is about the kids and the schools.  Never hurts anyone to stand for one game.   Little Rock is not a sports town.

Why NWA?  Its forever and a day away from most schools. Little rock is located pretty close to the center making travel for fans easier. I didn't here anybody get robbed or shot at Barton.

businesstron

I'd love it if they had it at Bud Walton arena. That's the best basketball arena in the state, and lots of hotels. That's also only a 20 minute drive for me.  It might be convenient for everyone else in the state but I think just the experience of playing in that Arena would be the most rewarding.   Fayetteville would be the best city to handle that type of crowd.   I don't know the reason why but it appears that'll never happen.

The neighborhood OUTSIDE  Barton Arena is bad.  Not on the grounds.  Little Rock is pretty much the only place in the state where people can get to it in 2 or 3 hours.  That's why it makes the most sense to have it there.

mrcptkirk

Quote from: ballmember link=topic=141296.msg3148219#msg3148219memorial ate42715

Fun all those years that the hoggs came to play at Barton & War Memorial Statadium football games there wasn't a problem. Oh don't forget there where people turn away that couldn't get in before the lower classifications games.

Burks

March 16, 2015, 09:58:02 pm #13 Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:11:56 pm by Burks
UALR or PB convention center?

Rocket23

UALR's arena is smaller than Summit Arena, 6,200 to 5,600.

Bearcatparent

The Convocation Center at ASU in Jonesboro, although not centrally located, would work as well as or better than PB or UALR. Along with possibly moving it why have none of the games ever been televised? It looks to me like the kids would get great exposure and have a lasting memory if it was televised by someone so that anyone that could not get in Summit or make it to the game could watch it on the tube. I know it is more about the money to AAA but Sat morning was very disappointing on the AAA's part. They should have never sold more tickets than they had seats in the first place but money talks I guess. There is the concern of not filling up Verizon but if people could travel to Little Rock and not all the way to Hot Springs it might draw more for all the games as well. Not likely that it will move but it would be nice to know they at least cared about the people that go to the games and their concerns about the facility used.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Burks on March 16, 2015, 09:58:02 pm
UALR or PB convention center?

I wish the PB Convention Center could host the state tournaments it's slightly bigger than the Summit. But Sadly the place and the hotel attached to it is in need of some major renovations and I don't see anyone lined up to pay for it. In it's current state it's not going to happen. Maybe by the time the contract with the Summit is over someone will have step up.

Tripod1

The area around Barton is not safe!! In fact, Little Rock is a very unsafe city; and should no way be a place to reward the teams for having an excellent year.  Why does it have to be a central location, why not northwest arkansas:  Barnhill for example.    Barton is the pits.   When they gave up having all the games at Barton and moving them around the state, basketball got exciting again.  It is about the kids and the schools. Never hurts anyone to stand for one game.   Little Rock is not a sports town.
I think the problem was the doors were locked due to overcrowding so those folks did not see the game at all.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Marblehog

Rocket23

Interesting article with numbers from 2004 tournament at Alltel Arena.

http://www.couriernews.com/view/full_story/15338216/article-Alltel-Arena-provides-boost-for-high-school-basketball-championships

14,601 for 5A ( then largest) boys title game between West Memphis and NLR.

Saturday attendance 49,573 for two-day total of 68,092.

DerekOxford

Barnhill would have to be completely refigured for basketball and they won't do that for just one weekend.

Honestly, if someone was willing to pump some money in to completely renovate Barton Coliseum and clean up the area around it, it would be perfect. The floor and the lighting was great, and the parking ample, but everything else was woefully lacking. It does have way more room than Hot Springs, however, yet isn't too big like Verizon or Bud Walton would be. And central location.

Chalant

I have attended the finals at all the previous locations and can say that in terms of an exciting atmosphere Summit is the best. Some of the other places while "more comfortable" in terms of locations, parking, seating just do not provide the excitement and state final should have.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Chalant on March 18, 2015, 06:25:18 am
I have attended the finals at all the previous locations and can say that in terms of an exciting atmosphere Summit is the best. Some of the other places while "more comfortable" in terms of locations, parking, seating just do not provide the excitement and state final should have.

I disagree.  I thought the Pine Bluff Convention Center was perfect as far as atmosphere.  Just didn't like Pine Bluff.  But that's just my opinion.  I do however like Hot Springs

ballmember

Anyone that thinks there is not a crime problem in Little Rock?????????  a top 10 city!!!!!
Reward kids, it does not hurt the adults to drive.    Jonesboro would also be a good location.  Reason LR had the big crowds at Barton was because LR teams playing.  Terrible experiience for the kids to be rewarded with that.   

blueandwhite

The kids really don't care where it is played. If it is for the state championship, they would play it on the playground. It is the adults and parents that whine and moan about the parking and the bathrooms and the concession stands. The only issue I really see is making sure the arena is big enough.

ballmember

Mainly the news media want it in LR, so they dont have to drive so far.  If Little Rock is so popular why do fans not attend women UALR games?  they have the best womens coach  in Arkansas.  That is why so many cry about football, Razorbacks.  LR is not a sports town.   Like Hot Springs ok; wish it could rotate with Jonesboro and Fayetteville.     I think however Hot Springs works.   Anywhere but Little Rock and Pine Bluff. 

CathywithaC

March 19, 2015, 06:19:51 pm #26 Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:07:12 am by CathywithaC
We kick this old dead horse around.  I still maintain that it could be at Verizon every year if AAA would get off their butts and hustle up some corporate sponsors to give them whatever guarantee they think they need.  But oh wait!  That would require work on their part.  I could write a 20 page epistle on simple things that would improve state tournaments.  Most of it would benefit kids and fans.  Therefore, AAA wouldn't be interested.

Grizzlyfan

Verizon is too big.  It would seem empty even with a decent high school crowd.

4real

Verizon was fine, especially for the big games.  Getting 14K in for a game is pretty awesome like that WM/NLR game back when.  We don't get that many for the 7A football finals very often either. 

I don't hear people complaining about having the football finals at War Memorial...

One of the good things about Verizon was how the teams were treated.  They had more time for their shoot around and didn't have to split the floor with another team.  There was also a big luncheon served to all the teams together, giving them recognition for their success and having guest speakers.  I also remember there being a ticket that read "Road to the Rock," or something along those lines, following the semifinal games.  The kids loved that stuff.  For the teams that were lucky enough to experience both arenas, the kids felt let down after experiencing what Verizon offered.

Fanofsports

Years ago the state championships were held at different colleges. For example, 4A was the highest classification at the time and the state was held at ASU and the overall state championships were held at UCA.

urban legend2

Quote from: blueandwhite on March 19, 2015, 11:15:34 am
The kids really don't care where it is played. If it is for the state championship, they would play it on the playground. It is the adults and parents that whine and moan about the parking and the bathrooms and the concession stands. The only issue I really see is making sure the arena is big enough.
+100...You're exactly right.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas