• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

By The Way #2: Russellville Boys is Open

Started by Brian G, May 05, 2015, 09:13:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

AT

scoutteamshoota

What is the word on this job.  I am hearing different stories.  Supposedly the new coach was a done deal.  Shoes all shined up ready to introduce but then it has gotten really quiet.  Lotta good coaches out there for a good program such as Russellville to be hiring someone so fast.  Who are they looking at?

Valleysports

Both the new Boys and Girls Coaches will get to coach in a very nice gym this year.  Cody Mann was one heck of a coach - had those boys in tears a lot, but I'm sure he'll tone it down for the girls.  ha ha  Good Luck Cody!  Scoutteam - did you think the Football Coach was a done deal?   ;)

scoutteamshoota

Dont know anything about a football coach....not from there.  Just heard through the grapevine early on that the AD already had his mind made up on a coach and the higher ups said no and made him interview other candidates.  I hear there are some good candidates now being looked at.  That is happening around a lot lately....ADs wanting to just hire someone they know and Soups and Boards are vetoing.

scoutteamshoota

Did they announce their new hire yet....?

Mother Theresa

For the record, Johnny Johnson, the Russellville AD, is one of the best AD's in the state.  So, if he has people in mind to try to bring in, then why would he not do so.  His job is to make sure they have the best people possible being hired to get results.  Anyone in the coaching ranks will know who he is.  He will know who the most talented coaches are up front any way.  Two of his biggest problems will be 1)  parents that want to gripe, 2) getting the best coaches to take a job that doesn't pay a huge amount, doesn't have great athletes, and plays in a tough conference.

ricepig

Quote from: Mother Theresa on May 19, 2015, 01:44:06 pm
For the record, Johnny Johnson, the Russellville AD, is one of the best AD's in the state.  So, if he has people in mind to try to bring in, then why would he not do so.  His job is to make sure they have the best people possible being hired to get results.  Anyone in the coaching ranks will know who he is.  He will know who the most talented coaches are up front any way.  Two of his biggest problems will be 1)  parents that want to gripe, 2) getting the best coaches to take a job that doesn't pay a huge amount, doesn't have great athletes, and plays in a tough conference.

Tough conference?? Lol

Mother Theresa

For Russellville?   Yes,  ;)
Good place to live and raise a family.  Nice arena on the way.  Great AD to work for.
Just not a place to ever win a state title, unless you want minor sports.

ricepig

Quote from: Mother Theresa on May 19, 2015, 02:10:32 pm
Good place to live and raise a family.  Nice arena on the way.  Great AD to work for.

You get Siloam and Greenwood, not exactly basketball powers, but I agree on not winning a title there.

AT

May 19, 2015, 03:16:12 pm #10 Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:29:02 pm by Almatrackster
Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2015, 02:31:59 pm

You get Siloam and Greenwood, not exactly basketball powers, but I agree on not winning a title there.

Siloam had a down year this year, but they are definitely a respectable basketball school. The year before this past one, they were very competitive against the 7A West.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 19, 2015, 03:16:12 pm

Siloam had a down year this year, but they are definitely not a bad basketball school. The year before this past one, they were very competitive against the 7A West.

I don't remember them doing much at the state tournament, lol, and outside of Bentonville and Fayetteville, that conference wasn't much in 2013-2014. That's like saying VB was doing good in their conference in 6A a few years ago and got sent home by the #8 seed.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2015, 03:31:22 pm

Siloam had a down year this year, but they are definitely not a bad basketball school. The year before this past one, they were very competitive against the 7A West.

I don't remember them doing much at the state tournament, lol, and outside of Bentonville and Fayetteville, that conference wasn't much in 2013-2014. That's like saying VB was doing good in their conference in 6A a few years ago and got sent home by the #8 seed.

Yes, they lost to Parkview in the 2nd round. Siloam is definitely not in the same sentence as Greenwood basketball though and it seemed you implied the the Panthers are some type of rent-a-win each year.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 19, 2015, 03:42:08 pm

Yes, they lost to Parkview in the 2nd round. Siloam is definitely not in the same sentence as Greenwood basketball though and it seemed you implied the the Panthers are some type of rent-a-win each year.

Well, we'll see in the new format starting in 2016 if they make the state tournament, that, and if any of their good players go to Har-Her, lol.

AT

Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2015, 03:49:36 pm

Well, we'll see in the new format starting in 2016 if they make the state tournament, that, and if any of their good players go to Har-Her, lol.

Yeah, they very well may be in for a dry spell.

AT

Quote from: Almatrackster on May 19, 2015, 04:04:07 pm
Quote from: ricepig on May 19, 2015, 03:49:36 pm

Yeah, they very well may be in for a dry spell.

Honestly, it will be very interesting how the 6A Central Boys shape up this year. Since Alma turned around their basketball program in 2009, they've had a couple of years like this, as you are apt to do, where they lose the core of their team. Losing Lee (best scorer and overall player), Folkerts (best post-presence and rebounder), and Parker (best ball handler) are huge losses for the Airedales. The good thing is that they've always pleasantly surprised me those years.

sevenof400

...especially on the girls side....

...just seeing if TT still lurks the halls of FF

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 19, 2015, 04:18:40 pm

...especially on the girls side....

...just seeing if TT still lurks the halls of FF

Good thing SWNA is busy with softball, lol. Of course, I think he's graduated to all college ball now.

Valleysports

Russellville needed Johnson - and there is still more in the works.  Almatrackster - got some news coming your way shortly lol.  I've heard Russellville's $14 million new basketball gym is awesome and huge.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 19, 2015, 05:30:50 pm

Russellville needed Johnson - and there is still more in the works.  Almatrackster - got some news coming your way shortly lol.  I've heard Russellville's $14 million new basketball gym is awesome and huge.

Well, at least they'll have a nice gym to get drummed in......

AT

Quote from: Valleysports on May 19, 2015, 05:30:50 pm

I've heard Alma's may not be the nicest in the state after Russellville gets finished with theirs. We're going to have to trademark The Palace

Valleysports

Oops I mixed that news up Alma, I meant Ozark - you'all look the same to me. lol  Ricepig the gym was built for Volleyball Championships.  And the future.  I hate to say it, but Russellville is growing.  I just talked with the pilots of a big cooperation - came in looking for the building site.  One of several, 2 more hotels, and 6 more restaurants, going up now.  You'll also be seeing that Convention Center, beside I-40, in the next 2 years. And TECH pacing up on ASU - guessing 12,500 this fall.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on May 19, 2015, 07:39:21 pm
Oops I mixed that news up Alma, I meant Ozark - you'all look the same to me. lol  Ricepig the gym was built for Volleyball Championships.  And the future.  I hate to say it, but Russellville is growing.  I just talked with the pilots of a big cooperation - came in looking for the building site.  One of several, 2 more hotels, and 6 more restaurants, going up now.  You'll also be seeing that Convention Center, beside I-40, in the next 2 years. And TECH pacing up on ASU - guessing 12,500 this fall.

Yawn.......what's a cooperation, is that anything like a corporation?   ;D

Mother Theresa

Why would a gym be built for volleyball's benefit?  Let's not even get into the fact that volleyball is a rich lazy kids game.  Lets just talk bottom line facts.  Regardless of how good a volleyball program is, and how weak the basketball program is, at any school volleyball makes a fraction of the profits basketball makes.  Administrators are not going to build an amazing arena just to seat a few extra volleyball watching perverts; the only reason a man would go to watch volleyball is 1) his daughter, or 2) he is a pervert.  Title IX was meant to give women more opportunity to compete!  Unfortunately, many young ladies today are just happy with iphones, cheer, or volleyball.  The very sports men wanted us to do forty years ago so we would shut up and they could watch us jump up and down!

Brian G

Quote from: Mother Theresa on May 19, 2015, 08:58:53 pm
Why would a gym be built for volleyball's benefit?  Let's not even get into the fact that volleyball is a rich lazy kids game.  Lets just talk bottom line facts.  Regardless of how good a volleyball program is, and how weak the basketball program is, at any school volleyball makes a fraction of the profits basketball makes.  Administrators are not going to build an amazing arena just to seat a few extra volleyball watching perverts; the only reason a man would go to watch volleyball is 1) his daughter, or 2) he is a pervert.  Title IX was meant to give women more opportunity to compete!  Unfortunately, many young ladies today are just happy with iphones, cheer, or volleyball.  The very sports men wanted us to do forty years ago so we would shut up and they could watch us jump up and down!

Tone it down. 

AT

Quote from: Mother Theresa on May 19, 2015, 08:58:53 pm

Is this a parody account?

PrivateLesson

I would certainly hope that her being a woman and calling herself a mother wouldn't ever criticize young HS girls who devote their time to play a sport they love such as Volleyball or whatever it is they may choose.   Shameful...IMO.

scoutteamshoota

Surely Mother Theresa was misquoting herself.  Well...unless that account was made just to say something good about the AD at Russellville.  Wonder how that Board meeting is going over there.....

Valleysports

Mother Theresa?  Ricepig was teasing me and I joked it off in a positive way - buy a clue!

PrivateLesson

May 20, 2015, 08:20:10 am #29 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 11:38:54 am by PrivateLesson
According to her profile....Shes a 104 calcuttaian???   Is a clue even a possibility?  lol! (~:

PrivateLesson

May 20, 2015, 11:13:14 am #30 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:35:05 pm by PrivateLesson
BTW.....The proper spelling is Mother Teresa.....she was named after her patroness St. Therese of  Lisieux.   She was a devote catholic who helped many in the missionary world.  I wouldn't make light of such a catholic figure if I were yall.

SNWA

Almost done with softball ricepig. One more ring to collect.  ;D ;D ;D Then ill be lurking.

ricepig

Quote from: SNWA on May 20, 2015, 04:12:53 pm
Almost done with softball ricepig. One more ring to collect.  ;D ;D ;D Then ill be lurking.

Good luck!

SNWA

Bondfan4ever

FreeMoney

Who would want this job?? In the last five years they have reassigned four or five coaches. Two major sport coaches (one that is fresh off a state championship last year in baseball) have left for what they say are better jobs. I'd have to say buyer beware.

PrivateLesson

Wouldn't the AD and School essentially be the buyer??    I mean they would be paying a Coach to come and try to fix their program.     Are you saying...it can't be done??

Valleysports

All is well - the new (2.5 yr) AD was to hired to do a job - not to come in and be everyone's buddy.  He has taken his time, evaluated all programs for himself, and has implemented a path forward.  Slower than I had hoped, but very methodical and professional.  While I'll miss some of my friends, who've moved on, I can't help but be impressed with Johnny Johnson (Athletic Director).  Those day's of hiring - someone who wants the job - are over!

FreeMoney

Johnny Johnson did try to hire one of his buddies/ former players and that move got nixed. Check it out its the truth. And nixing that move was a good one. Guy had one winning season in probably last five or six.

Valleysports

Ha ha - well yes I think that one warranted a team decision.  But we hired the other one!  ;D

SNWA

Hey Valley, thanks for the good mojo sat I think. Lol. Girls played great.

Valleysports

Ha ha - I didn't say anything, but I was keeping up with it.  Congratulations!   The River Valley picked up a Boys State Soccer also.   ;D

Easy

Quote from: FreeMoney on May 26, 2015, 12:21:14 pm
Johnny Johnson did try to hire one of his buddies/ former players and that move got nixed. Check it out its the truth. And nixing that move was a good one. Guy had one winning season in probably last five or six.
He did try to hire a former player and he has a great record, you don't have a clue about this person and what his record is.

Rudehog

scoutteamshoota

PrivateLesson

Since we know where he's going....where is he from??   Any clues?

FreeMoney

Quote from: Easy on May 27, 2015, 01:56:08 pm
Quote from: FreeMoney on May 26, 2015, 12:21:14 pm
He did try to hire a former player and he has a great record, you don't have a clue about this person and what his record is.
Uh yes I do know. He couldn't win consistently at the 5a level and we won't go into his  public relation skills which is a very high priority in Russellville. Again I do know!!

ABRLSBCR

Well maybe you and others are talking about different coaches? The coach the AD recommended for hire had been coaching in the 5A for the last 5 years. In that time went to the state tournament 4 years in a row. Had three 20+ plus winning seasons and had a 41-15 record in the 5A East conference in four years. Made it to the state semis and quarterfinals along with a conference championship and two runner-ups. Has had only one losing season in 5A and that was this past year in the 5A central. Also is 2-0 in state tournament v. the coach that looks like will be taking the job. Also, if your not around this person day in and day out I don't think you can comment on public relations. Not sure were you got your facts but seems like they are skewed.

NWA Hawg

FreeMoney

Marshall from Beebe. They didn't hire him. Wouldn't have worked out. Somebody did their homework and it wasn't the AD. Who is in line?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas