• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rings

Started by The_Preacher, December 11, 2006, 11:25:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Preacher

hey there was a post by someone that addressed the rings and championship. Why can't the guys get a ring that has runner-up on it and it be white gold. I myself think it is a great Idea and would do what I could to help out. They deserve them, and we all know that.

sam

Bad idea.  We want to turn football into a band competition where everyone gets a trophy.

To the winner goes the spoils. 

Plus who wants the embarrassment of answering "no it's actually a runner up ring" their whole life?

ea cat

There is no state rule against it. You got the money, get them.

sam

Well then, I want one too. 

I did go to 2 Warren games you know. 

The_Preacher

and let it say that,  and this is not about the band Sam this is about  guys that worked  hard and did everything to get that big ring and had it pulled away. so don't start the band stuff.

ea cat

In 20 years only the champion is remembered. Runner-up rings only remind you that you came in second.

sam

I'm just saying, the great thing about football is it's not a "feel good" sport like some of these other things going today.  Football is brutally honest. 

Everyone's not a winner. 

Warren was not a winner. 

Rings are for winners.

The_Preacher

and yes Warren was the winner still the winner, and  will remain the winner.  and why have there been no nashville players on here  to say  what they saw during the play. that may  be the question that needs to be addressed

stina_ar

Look, the final score says NASHVILLE won.
Regardless of what everyone saw (or did not see), NASHVILLE came out on top.

We might as well give every team in the 4A a ribbon for their participation.

Garo

Quote from: The_Preacher on December 11, 2006, 12:11:17 pm
and yes Warren was the winner still the winner, and  will remain the winner.  and why have there been no nashville players on here  to say  what they saw during the play. that may  be the question that needs to be addressed

I'll address it for you...Nashville players are not allowed to post by the coaches at ANY time of the season.

EddiesMustache

This is the most ridiculous thread ever on Fearless Friday

sam

It's like arguing balls and strikes. 

What's the true definition of a strike?  When the umpire says a pitch is a strike.

The officials said Nashville won.............So, Nashville won.

archaic

Just because the umpire says it's a strike doesn't mean it is. If it is across the plate, it's across the plate.

Orange rush

heck...we have five silver rings in nashville. I got one myself and i am very proud of it. Nothing is guaranteed in life. You are always "one" failed two point conversion from not making it to the next round.  

I say get a ring lumberjacks..you earned it by playing hard and having a great season.

EddiesMustache

Quote from: Orange rush on December 11, 2006, 12:21:28 pm
heck...we have five silver rings in nashville. I got one myself and i am very proud of it. Nothing is guaranteed in life. You are always "one" failed two point conversion from not making it to the next round.  

I say get a ring lumberjacks..you earned it by playing hard and having a great season.

Can I have a ring too?  I drove 7 hours to watch the game.

sam

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 12:21:09 pm
Just because the umpire says it's a strike doesn't mean it is. If it is across the plate, it's across the plate.

You are very, very wrong.  If the ump says it's a strike, it's a strike.  I don't care if it hits the 3rd base coach.  If the officer says you were speeding, I don't care if you are in a wheelchair, you'll pay the ticket.

That's one of our main problems today.  We have no respect for authority.

If you are claiming a state championship for Warren, and I'm not saying you are, archaic, you are setting a horrible example for all young people saying that "authorities have no authority".

Orange rush

normally the rings are reserved for the people who played and coached in the game, but hey if you think driving is a good enough reason by all means

stina_ar

Quote from: Orange rush on December 11, 2006, 12:36:13 pm

normally the rings are reserved for the people who played and coached in the game, but hey if you think driving is a good enough reason by all means

::)

I want a participation ribbon for cheering my team on all season.

archaic

Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 12:26:59 pm
Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 12:21:09 pm

You are very, very wrong.  If the ump says it's a strike, it's a strike.  I don't care if it hits the 3rd base coach.  If the officer says you were speeding, I don't care if you are in a wheelchair, you'll pay the ticket.

That's one of our main problems today.  We have no respect for authority.

If you are claiming a state championship for Warren, and I'm not saying you are, archaic, you are setting a horrible example for all young people saying that "authorities have no authority".

I'm not saying you should challenge authority. It's not like the officials are the police stopping me for running a red light.

sam

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 12:38:33 pm
I'm not saying you should challenge authority. It's not like the officials are the police stopping me for running a red light.

But that's the thing, they are the authority.  They are the "authorities" overseeing the football game. 

You can't choose to respect some in the position of authority and ignore others. 

Ask anyone involved in the Marked Tree / Earle game this year and tell me if not respecting the football authorities can get out of hand.

archaic

December 11, 2006, 12:46:33 pm #20 Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 12:48:49 pm by archaic
All I'm saying is that this is a totally different situation. Let me give you a quote from a former President of the United States:

"The spirit of resistance is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all."

Thomas Jefferson

sam

The difference between this and the other probably 50 games I've seen that the outcome was dramatically changed by an official's call is one thing..............a 70 ft. jumbotron. 

The resistance isn't going to change anything. 

"Griping about the weather is only going to get you closer to your dying moment."

sam

archaic

I can assure you whoever that quote is from.....his brain isn't even in the same class as Thomas Jefferson's

EddiesMustache

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 12:46:33 pm
All I'm saying is that this is a totally different situation. Let me give you a quote from a former President of the United States:

"The spirit of resistance is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all."

Thomas Jefferson

"Nobody likes a sour-puss."

Unknown author

sam

It was from me, and I promise you it's just as true as Jefferson's. 

nville_SCRAP

im sorry warren fans nashville did win.  Im sure that if it was the other way around, nashville would be the same way.  But the SCRAPPERS did earn their rings, im sorry jacks.

archaic

I bet.......................................................This is a losing battle isn't it?

stina_ar

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 01:06:45 pm
I bet.......................................................This is a loosing battle isn't it?

There are a few things "loose"...

sam

Grammar police strikes again.   

archaic

Thanks for pointing that out there. I appreciate it.

stina_ar

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 01:08:50 pm

Oh, anytime.

I'm sick of seeing the same posts over and over and over from both sides.

Let's all get along.
;D

EddiesMustache

Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 01:08:22 pm
Grammar police strikes again.  

She's here to serve and protect, and protect the servants.

archaic

Quote from: fairweather_bobcat_fan on December 11, 2006, 01:11:32 pm
Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 01:08:50 pm

Oh, anytime.

I'm sick of seeing the same posts over and over and over from both sides.

Let's all get along.
;D

You're right................Don't y'all just love high school sports though?

nville_SCRAP

I LOVE THE NASHVILLE SCRAPPERS!!!

sam

Quote from: EddiesMustache on December 11, 2006, 01:12:35 pm

The quote was I'm here to serve protection and protect the servants. 

EddiesMustache

Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 01:19:45 pm
Quote from: EddiesMustache on December 11, 2006, 01:12:35 pm

The quote was I'm here to serve protection and protect the servants. 

I'm soooo embarrassed.

Garo

I bet.......................................................This is a losing battle isn't it?
Yes it is archaic...I'm sorry that it had to turn out like this for your guys.  And I'm sorry that it had to turn out like this for our guys.  It is what it is and to argue anything else is just tainting the reputation of the fine football program that Warren has.

stina_ar

Either way...I'm here.

archaic

Quote from: Garo on December 11, 2006, 01:29:08 pm
Yes it is archaic...I'm sorry that it had to turn out like this for your guys.  And I'm sorry that it had to turn out like this for our guys.  It is what it is and to argue anything else is just tainting the reputation of the fine football program that Warren has.

I'll go ahead and say what another person said:

'Least the officials won't have to win it for me.

Garo

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 01:32:01 pm
Quote from: Garo on December 11, 2006, 01:29:08 pm

I'll go ahead and say what another person said:

'Least the officials won't have to win it for me.
To prove my point, I'll let you have the last word.  I'm done with this issue.  Thanks for a great season to all schools!!

archaic

Last Word...........................Garo let me have it.

sam

last wo.............dang it!

I hate dial-up.

dc24

Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 11:30:35 am
Bad idea.  We want to turn football into a band competition where everyone gets a trophy.

Plus who wants the embarrassment of answering "no it's actually a runner up ring" their whole life?

Yeah I agree, I don't think they deserve rings, because they did "lose", no matter how bad we got shafted.  It would be nice to get the seniors something that says "The real state champs" on it or something, but the coaches just need to use it as fuel for next year for the returning players.

archaic

Quote from: dc24 on December 11, 2006, 02:14:23 pm
Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 11:30:35 am

Yeah I agree, I don't think they deserve rings, because they did "lose", no matter how bad we got shafted.  It would be nice to get the seniors something that says "The real state champs" on it or something, but the coaches just need to use it as fuel for next year for the returning players.

I agree............I think that if there is clear evidence that the player scored........Maybe a formal statement saying that they don't recognize the legitimacy of the championship is in order.

sam

Warren not recognizing championships?  Does that mean you have no state titles now?

archaic

No........I'm talking about the 4A State Title game Saturday December 9, 2006.

sam

That would be a great idea.  I suggest everyone from warren write a letter to the AAA and let them know that 1/198  of the Arkansas HS football world doesn't recognize this championship. 

By the way, of course you wouldn't recognize the championship.  You never saw it. 

archaic

I did see it. I was there.

As for the statement........I'm talking about from the Warren Athletic Department. Not the entire city.Sam, you can think can't you?..................................

sam

Quote from: archaic on December 11, 2006, 02:37:03 pm
Sam, you can think can't you?..................................
Quote from: sam on December 11, 2006, 02:32:59 pm
By the way, of course you wouldn't recognize the championship.  You never saw it. 

How did you miss this joke?

softballash25

Quote from: ea owl on December 11, 2006, 11:44:15 am
In 20 years only the champion is remembered. Runner-up rings only remind you that you came in second.

There is nothing wrong with state runner-up rings.   I am sure there are30+ schools who would gladly trade places to be runner-up to the state champs.   I have one for state runner-up in basketball.  Who cares that we lost to  CAC(and yes by a big margin) , we were still 2nd best in 3-A last year and there were 50+ teams who would have traded places with us to get the "honor" of state runner-up.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas