• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alma Vs. Watson Chapel

Started by AIREDALE25, November 11, 2016, 10:17:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AIREDALE25

Alma will come out strong after winning 5 back to back and win this one to move onto the Semis 35-17

PA Dad

Alma should win this game, but I was impressed with WC's comeback against Sylvan Hills.  That showed lots of grit.

Maynard G Krebs

Have to pick Alma here.  Looking at WC schedule, their only quality win is the Sylvan Hills  game in round 1, which could be interpreted as that they are peaking at the right time, but my suspicion is that they just got lucky tonight.

walkingguy72396

GuvHog

November 12, 2016, 08:09:42 am #4 Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:22:20 am by GuvHog
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 11, 2016, 11:42:06 pm
Have to pick Alma here.  Looking at WC schedule, their only quality win is the Sylvan Hills  game in round 1, which could be interpreted as that they are peaking at the right time, but my suspicion is that they just got lucky tonight.

Your suspicion is wrong. WC spotted Sylvan Hills 21 points and Sylvan Hills led 21-0 at the Half. WC then out scored Sylvan Hills 36-14 in the second half to win 36-35. WC's offense came out on fire the second half and Sylvan Hills couldn't stop them while WC's defense shut the Bears running game down in the second half, forcing them to win with the pass which they couldn't do.

Yellowcake

Either way, this is the semi-final game for these two teams. PA v FC winner will be in WMS.

Jackets3

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 12, 2016, 08:59:41 am
Either way, this is the semi-final game for these two teams. PA v FC winner will be in WMS.

Batesville would disagree with this.

AT

Will be interesting to see how exactly the PA-FC winner will effect either of these teams from going to WMS.

walkingguy72396

I'll post my thought again.  That Forrest City mistakes huge difference in the Batesville game.  I think Batesville still would of won at home by 7.

If they meet again, due to seeding another home game for the neers.

Whats the term Boat Raced, FC has boat raced two decent football teams in a row.

ricericebaby

November 12, 2016, 05:10:37 pm #9 Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:12:33 pm by ricericebaby
Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 11, 2016, 11:42:06 pm

No luck here.  WC is loaded with talent and Dorsey has really been stepping up to help the team.

The Future

P.F.G.

I'm interested in how good WC plays after a long trip. Alma played decent against the state's best rushing attack last week. I'll say Alma 28 WC 21 in a close game.

AT

Don't know much about WC this year other than they lost their QB. Great win for them in the 1st round.

Deuceswild

Overdahill

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 13, 2016, 02:06:57 pm
I'm interested in how good WC plays after a long trip. Alma played decent against the state's best rushing attack last week. I'll say Alma 28 WC 21 in a close game.

I thought Morrilton played Wynne? ???

Absolut

This should be a very good game between Watson Chapel and Alma. I don't know much about Alma but I'm in the process of finding out. I do know that this is a rare matchup in Arkansas high school football. I only know of one other meeting between WC/Alma which was is 1996 when I saw my Wildcats handle Alma in the semifinals on their way to winning the state championship.

TNT_15

P.F.G.

Quote from: Absolut on November 13, 2016, 07:45:16 pm
This should be a very good game between Watson Chapel and Alma. I don't know much about Alma but I'm in the process of finding out. I do know that this is a rare matchup in Arkansas high school football. I only know of one other meeting between WC/Alma which was is 1996 when I saw my Wildcats handle Alma in the semifinals on their way to winning the state championship.

One of my friends played on that WC team I think. Crazy that we haven't played since then.

sportsguy80

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 14, 2016, 06:51:04 am
One of my friends played on that WC team I think. Crazy that we haven't played since then.
I can't believe these two haven't played since either.

Trojanball24

WC has twice the talent as Alma. It will come down to the defense to stop them. WC is the most talented team

AlumniLights

Quote from: Absolut on November 13, 2016, 07:45:16 pm

Gosnell coach, and former Charleston Tiger Defensive Coordinator in 2006, Brandon Barbaree, was on that team I believe.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Trojanball24 on November 14, 2016, 11:06:14 am
WC has twice the talent as Alma. It will come down to the defense to stop them. WC is the most talented team

The most talented team does not always translate into the team that wins the game. Being well coached and executing properly, plays a role too and that has normally been an Alma team trademark since Vines. 

AT

Have you seen Alma play?

zebradynasty

WC has talent but not so much along the OL and DL. Alma should be able to match them there. WC might have the edge in overall talent but not by much.

Pioneerman68

Quote from: Yellowcake on November 12, 2016, 08:59:41 am

Batesville will have something to say about who goes to WMS. They are getting healthy and playing well.

P.F.G.

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 14, 2016, 11:20:53 am
The most talented team does not always translate into the team that wins the game. Being well coached and executing properly, plays a role too and that has normally been an Alma team trademark since Vines. 

Not comparing Alma to greenwood but that's the same for GW. They aren't the most amazing athletes but coaching goes along way. Alma doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has been playing pretty good the last couple weeks. It should be a good game. I'll refrain from saying Alma is the clear favorite because I'm not familiar with WC.

Pr8hd

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 14, 2016, 12:10:23 pm

Not comparing Alma to greenwood but that's the same for GW. They aren't the most amazing athletes but coaching goes along way. Alma doesn't make a lot of mistakes and has been playing pretty good the last couple weeks. It should be a good game. I'll refrain from saying Alma is the clear favorite because I'm not familiar with WC.

GW is definitely in the same boat, normally they have a few (2-3) really good athletes and the rest are kids that are taught from day one what to do. They also have coaches that adjust and exploit a teams weakness really well. They aren't there to win a beauty contest and style points don't matter. The scoreboard is all that matters.  Talent without great coaching does not always achieve superior results. A team that plays as one with superior coaching & execution often exceeds expectations. 

BTW, the 1996 WC team beat GW under Peacock for that title referenced previously. I think that was GW's first trip to the finals.   

P.F.G.

I miss the Peacock days. Heck, I miss the Harvey Welch days.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 14, 2016, 01:10:38 pm
GW is definitely in the same boat, normally they have a few (2-3) really good athletes and the rest are kids that are taught from day one what to do. They also have coaches that adjust and exploit a teams weakness really well. They aren't there to win a beauty contest and style points don't matter. The scoreboard is all that matters.  Talent without great coaching does not always achieve superior results. A team that plays as one with superior coaching & execution often exceeds expectations. 

BTW, the 1996 WC team beat GW under Peacock for that title referenced previously. I think that was GW's first trip to the finals.
I was at that game. WC had lost the previous year to a great Osceola team in the title game. WC was loaded with talent but I can't remember who was their coach then.

Pr8hd

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 14, 2016, 01:13:24 pm
I miss the Peacock days. Heck, I miss the Harvey Welch days.

Lol, I bet you guys really do miss Harv.  ;D

I miss Frankie. He was a great coach and I always respected him. When you beat an Alma team with him as HC, it was a good accomplishment.

Devil Dog 17

I'm 100% pulling or the west, but I'm a realist.  Alma bets Watson Chapel, then losses to Wynne by 40.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on November 14, 2016, 03:14:59 pm
I'm 100% pulling or the west, but I'm a realist.  Alma bets Watson Chapel, then losses to Wynne by 40.

Alma42
WC 21

then in a different scenario....if Motown had upset Wynne(but you didn't.....not even close)
Alma would have beaten Motown by 3 TD's.

promise you.

I never thought Morrilton was that good to begin with. They were a decent team. Alma decided to get it in gear after they overlooked Morriton.

Pr8hd

November 15, 2016, 10:31:02 am #32 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:34:36 am by Pr8hd
So, given the "controversy" out there now about the Alma/Blytheville game does it have any bearing or affect on this game?

I should add that I know of several people that were at the Alma game and they say it is unsubstantiated. Even still, these two schools will now have to deal with this as they meet up. 

AT

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 15, 2016, 10:31:02 am
So, given the "controversy" out there now about the Alma/Blytheville game does it have any bearing or affect on this game?

I should add that I know of several people that were at the Alma game and they say it is unsubstantiated. Even still, these two schools will now have to deal with this as they meet up.

I'll seriously doubt it. Unless Watson Chapel uses it as some sort of extra motivator. I don't see the Alma players getting down about this...

Actually, I could see the Alma players getting pretty emotional about this and playing with some fire.

Good question, though.

Pr8hd

November 15, 2016, 10:47:25 am #34 Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:27:47 pm by Pr8hd
My guess is they won't allow the Trump head and sign back in though. Personally, I think a Trump and Hillary big head would be pretty funny looking given some of the expressions they had memes and such on during the election. I know the Trump head was the only one used ....but I think the Hillary one with her gawking at the balloons would have been really funny if they were just going for affect and for laughs. It's a good thing they did not use the very popular "Crying Jordan" big head you see on lots of stuff. 

Unfortunately, I think it will definitely increase the tensions to some degree. I wish that it wouldn't and it would all calm down, but all of this, not just the claims on that particular game, seem to be affecting lots of things it should not be.

I bet the officiating crew has some trigger happy flags to maintain control possibly and it will be officiated tightly.

P.F.G.

I doubt it will hurt/help anyone this week. The officials will be aware of the situation but will not effect how they call the game. The student section will be monitored even closer this week.

Pr8hd

Quote from: P.F.G. on November 15, 2016, 11:41:59 am
I doubt it will hurt/help anyone this week. The officials will be aware of the situation but will not effect how they call the game. The student section will be monitored even closer this week.

Maybe so....it'll be an interesting game with or without the extra drama.

AT

I believe the mods have made it clear that the situation is done with, even if all the consequences are not, so let's talk about this game itself.

Do Watson Chapel and Alma have a common opponent?
No

What are points per game and points allowed per game for both teams?
Alma - 33.727 points per game.
Alma - 17.909 points allowed per game.

Watson Chapel - 32.545 points per game.
Watson Chapel - 26.182 points allowed per game.

What is Alma's biggest win in terms of quality and margin combined?
One could argue last week's Blytheville win was.

What is Watson Chapel's biggest win in terms of quality and margin combined?
The Sylvan Hills win last week for sure.

Worst loss?
For Alma, probably Springdale.
For Watson Chapel, probably Magnolia

Calpreps?
Alma with a 33.2 rating.
Watson Chapel with a 22 rating.

Rich Sanders prediction?
Alma - 31
Watson Chapel - 19

Steve Perry 2.11

I see the other topic got axed.

I figured that thread would head for derailment and eventually into the abyss.

Devil Dog 17

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 15, 2016, 08:22:59 am
Alma42
WC 21

then in a different scenario....if Motown had upset Wynne(but you didn't.....not even close)
Alma would have beaten Motown by 3 TD's.

promise you.

I never thought Morrilton was that good to begin with. They were a decent team. Alma decided to get it in gear after they overlooked Morriton.
Your right, Morrilton wasn't a very good team, but they were good enough to beat an average Alma team.  I hope yall beat WC, because yall will get rolled by Wynne. Promise you.

Steve Perry 2.11

Lol....you sound like someone that lost in the first round.

P.F.G.

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 15, 2016, 03:49:37 pm
Lol....you sound like someone that lost in the first round.

That made me chuckle. +1.

CARDINAL PRIDE!!!

One thing I would like to see from Chapel is to start the game off fast the same way they end games If Chapel get off to a fast start in the beginning I think they will be heading to Wynne

Chapel 42
Alma 38

AT

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 15, 2016, 05:45:39 pm
One thing I would like to see from Chapel is to start the game off fast the same way they end games If Chapel get off to a fast start in the beginning I think they will be heading to Wynne

Chapel 42
Alma 38

I don't see Alma giving up 42 points to Chapel. They didn't even do that against Greenwood.

Steve Perry 2.11

Quote from: CARDINAL PRIDE!!! on November 15, 2016, 05:45:39 pm

Chapel 42
Alma 38

Wynne's not a shoe in. Favored...yes.

That game intrigues me.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 16, 2016, 08:46:17 am
Wynne's not a shoe in. Favored...yes.

That game intrigues me.

Without Strong, it could get out of hand.

Steve Perry 2.11

Wynne is missing Jessup also. Don't know that those two are equal contributers to their respective offenses though.

Wouldn't think Jessup would be, but still a big loss.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Steve Perry 2.11 on November 16, 2016, 11:42:29 am
Wynne is missing Jessup also. Don't know that those two are equal contributers to their respective offenses though.

Wouldn't think Jessup would be, but still a big loss.

Big loss on defense it seems, but offense they are loaded and he isn't one of their primary playmakers.

walkingguy72396

All right another Wynne thread

Youngsta71701

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas