• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

8 Man Football

Started by playmaker04, May 30, 2018, 01:38:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Legend

If is official. Seven Arkansas High Schools will be playing 8-man football, as a club sport, for the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 cycle.
Class 2A schools Hermitage, Decatur, Woodlawn, and Augusta, will join Class 3A Episcopal Collegiate School, and the Arkansas School for the Deaf and Arkansas Christian School in the 8-man league this season. All seven schools will play each other one time, so the ASD and ACS will have a six game season. Hermitage, Decatur, Woodlawn, Augusta, and ECS will play each other twice and will have 10-game schedules. The drop to 8-man will have serious impact on Class 2A schedules, with the 2A-8 being most affected (Woodlawn and Heritage). Augusta is a member of 2A-3 and Decatur the 2A-4. Episcopal Collegiate is a member of the 3A-6. All schools will continue to play other varsity sports in their respective classifications.

42 Sports just posted this. Well it's official Arkansas is now in the 8 man game.

SouthpawSensation

There has been no announcement made by the AAA. Therefore, how can it be official?

MT Legend

I don't personally like it myself. I don't see how this is a positive for the sport in a whole. I believe this should be for 1A only when you open it up to higher then 1A I just believe it will do more harm to a 11 man football at the lower classifications then good.

AirWarren

Quote from: MT Legend on July 09, 2018, 06:03:32 pm
you may want to look at Michigan and Nebraska where it is dyeing dayly. Yes football is fading and the more these concussions keep happening the more mothers you have joining the fight to end it.

Nebraska is fading because they are living in the 80s. They also jetted to the big 10 to get away from Texas. Which has killed them over the years. They used to live off Texas recruits.

Michigan is also in the same boat. Minus moving conferences. Michigan used to get the best WRs out of the state of Ohio(see Mario Manningham). Urban Meyer has changed that.

Michigan and Nebraska have been mediocre and irrelevant for some time now. Not sure that is soccer's fault but better football in the south. 

beach bum

July 09, 2018, 07:45:04 pm #154 Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:46:51 pm by beach bum
Quote from: MT Legend on July 09, 2018, 05:54:36 pm
yes sir this is correct the "soft" Sports will now become more popular.Football is a tough mans sport those times are long gone. When we was growing up you laid a hard hit both sidelines and stands got fired up. Now you lay that same hit it becomes a debate rather or not it was malicious attempt to hurt the kid. Lol

You do realize that in professional soccer games they have to be fit enough to move anywhere between 6 and 10 miles on a given match? I am not sure that classifies as being "soft". You don't just wake up one day and be that physically fit to handle that much daily mileage. I say that as a person who has ran multiple marathons and logged up to 70 miles running per week. There is no sport that you can be "soft" in and be elite at it. It just sounds like you only think a sport can be tough if that means crashing into each other with pads. I love practically every sport there is on this planet including football and soccer, but they all require their certain skill sets. We just live in a culture conditioned to value big things. That goes for sports, cars, houses, etc..... I used to see kids in football that got in trouble and for their punishment they would be asked to jog 2 miles before or after practice. They would be moaning and crying by the end by simply being asked to jog for almost 20 minutes consecutively. Those "tough kids" did not seem so tough when asked to do that. Football players with their body sizes could never log 6 to 10 miles a day in training or games just like soccer players could not handle being tackled by a college or pro linebacker so I am not sure what you even mean by "tough" sports?

MT Legend

Quote from: AirWarren on July 09, 2018, 07:13:13 pm
Nebraska is fading because they are living in the 80s. They also jetted to the big 10 to get away from Texas. Which has killed them over the years. They used to live off Texas recruits.

Michigan is also in the same boat. Minus moving conferences. Michigan used to get the best WRs out of the state of Ohio(see Mario Manningham). Urban Meyer has changed that.

Michigan and Nebraska have been mediocre and irrelevant for some time now. Not sure that is soccer's fault but better football in the south.
however you want to spin it. I doubt Nebraska leaving the Big 12 is the reason. It had already started before they joined the the Big 10. Mothers against football is killing it. It's here in Colorado it's everywhere. Arkansas is always last to the party in everything.so give it sometime and you will feel the wrath of these mothers as well.

MT Legend

Quote from: beach bum on July 09, 2018, 07:45:04 pm

You do realize that in professional soccer games they have to be fit enough to move anywhere between 6 and 10 miles on a given match? I am not sure that classifies as being "soft". You don't just wake up one day and be that physically fit to handle that much daily mileage. I say that as a person who has ran multiple marathons and logged up to 70 miles running per week. There is no sport that you can be "soft" in and be elite at it. It just sounds like you only think a sport can be tough if that means crashing into each other with pads. I love practically every sport there is on this planet including football and soccer, but they all require their certain skill sets. We just live in a culture conditioned to value big things. That goes for sports, cars, houses, etc..... I used to see kids in football that got in trouble and for their punishment they would be asked to jog 2 miles before or after practice. They would be moaning and crying by the end by simply being asked to jog for almost 20 minutes consecutively. Those "tough kids" did not seem so tough when asked to do that. Football players with their body sizes could never log 6 to 10 miles a day in training or games just like soccer players could not handle being tackled by a college or pro linebacker so I am not sure what you even mean by "tough" sports?
my son is a and all state goalkeeper here in Colorado so your preaching to the choir. Good post though

beach bum

Quote from: MT Legend on July 09, 2018, 07:46:40 pm
however you want to spin it. I doubt Nebraska leaving the Big 12 is the reason. It had already started before they joined the the Big 10. Mothers against football is killing it. It's here in Colorado it's everywhere. Arkansas is always last to the party in everything.so give it sometime and you will feel the wrath of these mothers as well.

I have lived in Colorado also and am about to move back.... It has nothing to do with mothers against football. Colorado is the fittest state in the country and they value different things than the south. Endurance sports are massive in Colorado on the Front Range between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. We live in a world of more variety than ever and that includes sports. I think it's great the south values football and I think it's great other regions value other things. There is nothing wrong with either.

MT Legend

Quote from: beach bum on July 09, 2018, 07:51:03 pm
I have lived in Colorado also and am about to move back.... It has nothing to do with mothers against football. Colorado is the fittest state in the country and they value different things than the south. Endurance sports are massive in Colorado on the Front Range between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. We live in a world of more variety than ever and that includes sports. I think it's great the south values football and I think it's great other regions value other things. There is nothing wrong with either.
they just held a mothers against football get together the other day. I know this cause my wife was invited by a friend and went to the get together. She said there was over several mothers and grandparents at the get together. So...... you may want to pump the brakes on that.

AirWarren

Quote from: MT Legend on July 09, 2018, 07:46:40 pm

Dear Lord.

MomaLion

big E

It's that kind of liberal thinking that ruins everything. If you don't want your child to play football then don't let him play. Don't try to ruin a sport just because you don't agree with it. I don't like soccer but am I gathering support to ban it in schools . Goodness.

MT Legend

July 10, 2018, 06:17:54 am #162 Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 06:20:08 am by MT Legend
Quote from: big E on July 10, 2018, 04:57:47 am
It's that kind of liberal thinking that ruins everything. If you don't want your child to play football then don't let him play. Don't try to ruin a sport just because you don't agree with it. I don't like soccer but am I gathering support to ban it in schools . Goodness.

It is real. CTE is the driving force

AirWarren

I thought that's what parents were doing all along?

And as human beings, we naturally want to know "why are our football numbers low"? So when kids choose other athletics it all the sudden becomes soft, sissy, liberal etc. which I don't understand the mentality. Especially because I'm a non-"liberal" to the T.

I guess I missed the part of my first career application post college that had me debrief on a high school football "career".
The fear of football dying is about as silly as global warming to me.

beach bum

CTE is real and medical science is not liberal or conservative. Medical knowledge has no political agenda... only to eventually seek the truth. I am not sure how trying to make a game safer for kids became political. Me and Airwarren have had plenty of political banter back and forth, but I know his medical background and knowledge has him leaning with me on this topic. They are never banning the game so relax. It always needs to be tinkered to make it safer as times change and we gain more knowledge. That goes for all sports.

beach bum

Quote from: AirWarren on July 10, 2018, 08:02:44 am
I thought that's what parents were doing all along?

And as human beings, we naturally want to know "why are our football numbers low"? So when kids choose other athletics it all the sudden becomes soft, sissy, liberal etc. which I don't understand the mentality. Especially because I'm a non-"liberal" to the T.

I guess I missed the part of my first career application post college that had me debrief on a high school football "career".
The fear of football dying is about as silly as global warming to me.

I have never understood the other sports are soft mentality either. I don't care if its football, basketball, tennis, track, soccer, hockey, etc......  no one will be successful if they are soft. All of them require a certain tough mindset to be great or elite and to dominate the competition.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on July 10, 2018, 09:10:51 am
I have never understood the other sports are soft mentality either. I don't care if its football, basketball, tennis, track, soccer, hockey, etc......  no one will be successful if they are soft. All of them require a certain tough mindset to be great or elite and to dominate the competition.

Me either.

Take the World Series for example. Those kids at bat had robocop sized elbow guards and shin guards at bat. Things I have never seen before growing up watching baseball. Even the commentators made mention to it. One guy even said, "yeah it makes it easy to lean into a pitch and get hit when you have that armor on your arm". Heston leaned in to take a hit on the arm from the pitcher and it was on the arm that had the big shield on it. Casey Martin had that awful face guard on his batting helmet. Big leaguers never wore that kind of crap in the baseball I grew up with. Guess that makes them soft and liberal.

I've seen tennis players blow their knee out trying to make a play. Tiger woods has never been the same since he has screwed his back up playing golf, baseball players go to the plate looking like robocop. I saw that kid from Louisville go up for a jumper a few years ago in March madness and he about made me vomit at the sight of his leg he broke. Same with an ankle I saw break this past year in the NBA.

So I don't understand this whole backwards mentality of sissy sports vs non sissy. I've played football and swam competitively. I've vomited in two a days. Had my pinky smashed between two helmets and I've swam so many laps and sprinted in the pool until I vomited. I found nothing sissy about either when your puking your guts up from hard work.

I just don't understand it, we have known for a long time the possible implications of contact sports like football. If you choose to play or allow your kid to play. Great! I love high school football and college football. But just be aware of the possible complications/implications.

MT Legend

I don't believe anyone has suggested that all other sports doesn't take mental toughness. Let's keep it real though,all other sports are not near as physical as football.thats the problem the physically.

When someone calls something soft it could mean a number of different reasons why they believe the sport is soft. Each individual is different so it's to hard to pinpoint anyone's reasoning. I've watched my son play soccer for many years and yes compared to football it is a very "soft sport"

clipping

Decatur is going to have to get some coaches since they all
Have left.

MomaLion

Quote from: beach bum on July 10, 2018, 09:02:17 am
CTE is real and medical science is not liberal or conservative. Medical knowledge has no political agenda... only to eventually seek the truth. I am not sure how trying to make a game safer for kids became political. Me and Airwarren have had plenty of political banter back and forth, but I know his medical background and knowledge has him leaning with me on this topic. They are never banning the game so relax. It always needs to be tinkered to make it safer as times change and we gain more knowledge. That goes for all sports.
Nicely said....there is new technology all the time to evaluate and treat concussions.  If those safety measures are implemented, the chances of having CTE are quite small.  I know that in small programs, there aren't trainers to evaluate and advise, but the coaches and staff should be able to implement these safety measures. Also, we as parents need to be informed and aware of symptoms of concussion so as to seek medical help when necessary.

big E

It's standard protocol now for the Coaches to diagnose concussions.  I would say 99%of the time the coach leans to the side of caution . But the thing about cte is these kids are being turned into missles,  bigger , faster , stronger which equals more violent and potentially harmful collisions.  If you run a Sherman tank into a Volkswagen bug bad things will happen. It's know different with kids. If you turn these kids into essentially is battering ram then there are going to be injuries and unfortunately cte is one of those injuries. As for the comment made about people thinking that kids that specialize in other sports than football are soft , well maybe they just don't want to be that Volkswagen bug in front of that Tank. Some would say that is genius not softness.

MT Legend

Quote from: big E on July 11, 2018, 05:30:12 am
It's standard protocol now for the Coaches to diagnose concussions.  I would say 99%of the time the coach leans to the side of caution . But the thing about cte is these kids are being turned into missles,  bigger , faster , stronger which equals more violent and potentially harmful collisions.  If you run a Sherman tank into a Volkswagen bug bad things will happen. It's know different with kids. If you turn these kids into essentially is battering ram then there are going to be injuries and unfortunately cte is one of those injuries. As for the comment made about people thinking that kids that specialize in other sports than football are soft , well maybe they just don't want to be that Volkswagen bug in front of that Tank. Some would say that is genius not softness.
this protocol can only take place if the kid tells the coach he is hurt. If you got daddy or uncle down on the fence telling him to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game so daddy can live out his dream through his son.Then that's what's going to happen.in this case you can't blame the coach if the kid chooses to lie so he can stay in the game to make daddy happy.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: MT Legend on July 11, 2018, 06:02:50 am
this protocol can only take place if the kid tells the coach he is hurt. If you got daddy or uncle down on the fence telling him to rub some dirt on it and get back in the game so daddy can live out his dream through his son.Then that's what's going to happen.in this case you can't blame the coach if the kid chooses to lie so he can stay in the game to make daddy happy.

Exactly, well put. Daddy had a crappy life, is divorced and remarried, and now he is trying to achieve his dreams through his son.

AirWarren

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on July 11, 2018, 09:28:53 am
Exactly, well put. Daddy had a crappy life, is divorced and remarried, and now he is trying to achieve his dreams through his son.

Mommas in the baseball field stands aren't much better.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: AirWarren on July 11, 2018, 10:39:10 am
Mommas in the baseball field stands aren't much better.

Nope you are right. Same story, different gender. More to life than sports. Sports are great, but doesn't erase your crappy life (Crappy Spouse,Debt,Car,House,Job). Just numbs it.

MomaLion

Quote from: MT Legend on July 11, 2018, 06:02:50 am
Wrong...it's the coaches job to evaluate the kid after a hard hit regardless of what he says.  If they are staggering around on the field, that's a big clue that he's got a concussion.  Fortunately the refs are also looking for these things and force the kid out for a play to be evaluated.

big E

Coach knowlton has the ball boy take the players helmet to the locker room so they don't try to go back in.

MT Legend

Quote from: MomaLion on July 11, 2018, 11:37:43 pm
Wrong...it's the coaches job to evaluate the kid after a hard hit regardless of what he says.  If they are staggering around on the field, that's a big clue that he's got a concussion.  Fortunately the refs are also looking for these things and force the kid out for a play to be evaluated.
in a perfect world this would be correct.were far from a perfect world though.

MT Legend

Quote from: big E on July 12, 2018, 05:16:45 am
Coach knowlton has the ball boy take the players helmet to the locker room so they don't try to go back in.
if little Johnny is a beast his helme ain't going anywhere except back on his head. Well depending on the ball game if your up 40 easy for the coach to keep him out.However if your in a major football game with a lot on line.oh, you can be sure he is playing.

AirWarren

Maybe in little folk football like 2a and now 8 man ball....but Not at programs like Warren.

You have neuro symptoms, your butt is on the bench. I've seen it plenty of times. "Star athlete" or not.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: MT Legend on July 12, 2018, 08:48:44 am
if little Johnny is a beast his helme ain't going anywhere except back on his head. Well depending on the ball game if your up 40 easy for the coach to keep him out.However if your in a major football game with a lot on line.oh, you can be sure he is playing.
You assume that every coach could care less about the safety of his kids. Coaches are now aware that playing a concussed kid COULD be fireable. It is my experience that coaches have been overly cautious out of protection for themselves and the kid.

We have a Dr on the sideline and if he says a kid is done, he is done. Period.

MT Legend

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 12, 2018, 02:19:53 pm
You assume that every coach could care less about the safety of his kids. Coaches are now aware that playing a concussed kid COULD be fireable. It is my experience that coaches have been overly cautious out of protection for themselves and the kid.

no I didn't say every coach. Some coaches put the right thing ahead of wins and losses.some put wins and losses ahead of the right thing.im not at liberty to say who is doing what. They know who they are though.Thats all that matters.

AirWarren

July 12, 2018, 04:03:28 pm #182 Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:40:49 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: MT Legend on July 12, 2018, 03:16:10 pm
no I didn't say every coach. Some coaches put the right thing ahead of wins and losses.some put wins and losses ahead of the right thing.im not at liberty to say who is doing what. They know who they are though.Thats all that matters.

Warren also has an MD on the sidelines.

You must be using little folk football as your example. But Im here to tell you, In higher level football, coaches don't play around anymore with concussions.

AirWarren

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 12, 2018, 02:19:53 pm

Good post Eddie.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: AirWarren on July 12, 2018, 04:03:28 pm
Warren also has an MD on the sidelines.

You must be using little folk football as your example. But Im hear to tell you, In higher level football, coaches don’t play around anymore with concussions.
And in Crossett, we baseline test ALL athletes before the season begins. Even teachers are taught how to spot concussions. A concussed kid has a very difficult time hiding it these days.

big E

Quote from: MT Legend on July 12, 2018, 08:48:44 am
I promise you it don't matter if you are the starting qb , you get a concussion or he even thinks you have one tour helmet is taken away from you.  Nothing you can do on a football field is more important than a child's well being.

MT Legend

Quote from: big E on July 13, 2018, 05:15:19 am
I promise you it don't matter if you are the starting qb , you get a concussion or he even thinks you have one tour helmet is taken away from you.  Nothing you can do on a football field is more important than a child's well being.
oh,I agree with you 100%. coach's that go by the book are out there.Lets not kid ourselves here though.you also have coaches who don't go by the book as well out there.

MT Legend

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 12, 2018, 05:35:55 pm
And in Crossett, we baseline test ALL athletes before the season begins. Even teachers are taught how to spot concussions. A concussed kid has a very difficult time hiding it these days.
you may want to look at the code of silence high school players are using all across the country. I'll give you time to do your research and wait for your rebuttal.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: MT Legend on July 13, 2018, 04:02:08 pm
you may want to look at the code of silence high school players are using all across the country. I'll give you time to do your research and wait for your rebuttal.
Sure kids try and hide it. That has never changed in the history of the game. That is why you baseline test and teach the adults in charge to spot symptoms.

MT Legend

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 13, 2018, 05:37:32 pm
Sure kids try and hide it. That has never changed in the history of the game. That is why you baseline test and teach the adults in charge to spot symptoms.
i did my own research while waiting for your rebuttal. What I found is most people believe the baseline test is a waste of money and time.

AirWarren

Quote from: MT Legend on July 13, 2018, 06:24:43 pm
i did my own research while waiting for your rebuttal. What I found is most people believe the baseline test is a waste of money and time.

Yeah. Kids can change the results of a neuro exam(pupil dilation, reaction to light) in an instant.

But hey, if da intanet says so.

MT Legend

July 13, 2018, 08:21:58 pm #191 Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:23:54 pm by MT Legend
Quote from: AirWarren on July 13, 2018, 07:22:19 pm
Yeah. Kids can change the results of a neuro exam(pupil dilation, reaction to light) in an instant.

But hey, if da intanet says so.
you have to much faith in your fellow man. Your the kinda guy I would love to sale some ocean front property to. It's out in Arizona if you will buy that I tell you what I'll throw the golden gate in free. What do ya say?

AirWarren

Quote from: MT Legend on July 13, 2018, 08:21:58 pm
you have to much faith in your fellow man. Your the kinda guy I would love to sale some ocean front property to. It's out in Arizona if you will buy that I tell you what I'll throw the golden gate in free. What do ya say?

No. I just know how to do a neurocheck on a kid who is exhibiting normal PERRLA, a neuro check of a kid with a concussion and sadly neuro checks for kids who have suffered a traumatic brain injury. I've worked in pediatric intensive care and emergency room.

I may not know much about 2a football or da intranet but I know that the neuro system is one of the systems in the body that doesn't lie or is subtle when something is off.

MT Legend

Quote from: AirWarren on July 13, 2018, 10:54:52 pm
No. I just know how to do a neurocheck on a kid who is exhibiting normal PERRLA, a neuro check of a kid with a concussion and sadly neuro checks for kids who have suffered a traumatic brain injury. I've worked in pediatric intensive care and emergency room.

I may not know much about 2a football or da intranet but I know that the neuro system is one of the systems in the body that doesn't lie or is subtle when something is off.
the people wasn't saying the procedure didn't work.They was saying it's not very reliable and it's results are inconsistent.they felt for the most part if give the athletes a false sense of security.

Eddie Goodson

Dude, you're arguing for the sake of argument now.  Nothing is perfect. People are doing the best they can to get a handle on it. I really don't have time to argue over what the internet thinks about anything.

bleudog

July 14, 2018, 10:11:05 pm #195 Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:26:01 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 14, 2018, 05:11:50 pm
Dude, you're arguing for the sake of argument now.......

It's a recurring theme.

MT Legend

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on July 14, 2018, 05:11:50 pm
Dude, you're arguing for the sake of argument now.  Nothing is perfect. People are doing the best they can to get a handle on it. I really don't have time to argue over what the internet thinks about anything.
why does it have to be and argument when someone disagrees with people on here? It's a public forum it wasn't created for arguments. It was created for conversation.im sure you're School does take precautions like any other school would.Still don't make the results of the test consistent.

MT Legend

Quote from: bleudog on July 14, 2018, 10:11:05 pm
It's a recurring theme.
your 0-2 vs Rivercrest no argument to be had.no stats,School size non sense is going to change that. Except it and move on.

bleudog

July 16, 2018, 08:50:52 am #198 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:35:23 am by bleudog
Quote from: MT Legend on July 16, 2018, 05:58:26 am
your 0-2 vs Rivercrest no argument to be had.no stats,School size non sense is going to change that. Except it and move on.

"Dude," getting a laugh out of stringing a newbie troll along passes the time.  ;D

But something no one should ever "except" on FF is when that troll shows their true "colors."

Even if a mod didn't assign the vacation, at least one of them took out the trash.

Carry on.

MT Legend

Quote from: bleudog on July 16, 2018, 08:50:52 am
"Dude," getting a laugh out of stringing a newbie troll along passes the time.  ;D

But something no one should ever "except" on FF is when that troll shows their true "colors."

Even if a mod didn't assign the vacation, at least one of them took out the trash.

Carry on.
facts is your 0-2 vs Rivercrest. Move on and be glad your back in the 2A.where you can at least compete with the top teams.carry on

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas