• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football Memories

Started by ReddieKnightTrojan, April 25, 2016, 10:40:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ReddieKnightTrojan

Describe your favorite memories of the greatest game of all time.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Mount Ida vs. Caddo Hills 1990
Caddo Hills homecoming. In the history of both schools, Caddo Hills had never beaten Mount Ida. Caddo won the toss and chose to receive. Coach Williamson worked in a man-to-man blocking scheme and Larry Don Hamilton returned the opening kickoff 85 yards for a TD 2pt missed 6-0 Caddo
Mount Ida got the ball and grounded out the first quarter with a score PAT good Mount Ida 7 Caddo 6
A few plays later, Larry Don Hamilton in for the TD 2pt good Caddo 14 Mount Ida 7
Mount Ida scores just before halftime 14-14 going into the locker room.
Coach Williamson, "Preston Stidman said 'Ben, I love you like a brother, but Caddo Hills has never beaten Mount Ida and they're not going to on my watch' I bet he's eating Rolaids about now.
Mount Ida get the 2nd half kickoff and eats most of the 3rd quarter before scoring Mount Ida 21 Caddo 14
Larry Don Hamilton returns the kickoff for another TD. The stadium was electric. 2pt no good 21-20 MI
Over halfway through the 4th with Caddo's defense stopping Mount Ida, Stidman elects to pass
What? Pass? Caddo's CB get there questionably early for a 15 yd penalty from the Mount Ida 35 - that moves the ball to midfield, Coach Williamson is appalled and argues the call for another 15 yards to the Caddo 35, on the next play - the stifling defense and emotional linebacking crew, #66 Rick Cowart gets an opportunity to punish a running back on a sweep play...unfortunately for Caddo it was a step out of bounds - you guessed it 15 more yards. This put the ball inside Caddo's 20 with a 320lb tackle on the sideline getting a breather and 235lb Cowart on the sideline because of the bonehead play, Mount Ida runs a simple dive play for their final TD PAT good Mount Ida 28 Caddo Hills 20
There is still time for a game tying drive. Larry Don gets the ball and was hemmed up. Caddo drives to the Mount Ida 15 as time is running out. Coach Williamson calls a  TE dump which was brilliant because it would have been a walkin TD, but the TE dropped the pass. With no more timeouts, Coach yelled "same play" and the Mount Ida defender stepped in front of the pass to secure the 28-20 victory.
This was the closest Caddo Hills ever got to beating Mount Ida.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Hartford at Magazine 2007
Hartford had prepared all week for the game - Magazines power offense deadT, double wing, etc. and went with a 6 man front to start the game. Magazine blocked down and kicked out and smiled all the way to the endzone for a 8-0 first quarter lead that had the stadium predicting an utter blowout.
Coach Cowart from Hartford told his DC that "we are going back to the 4-3 and if they score again, he was taking over the defense."
Hartford got in their spread defense and Magazine doubled up Hartford's goto receiver, Matt Murray. All night long, the CB was bump and run and the S was zoning over the top.
All Coach Cowart could call were short outs. Those were effective enough to get Brandon Davis within striking distance for a corner fade to Murray. The pass was tipped at the line and a ball meant to go to the back corner of the endzone was toppling end over end and just before falling right past the goal line, Murray got under it. TD Hartford 2pt no good Magazine 8 Hartford 6
The rest of the first half and all of the second half was spent between the 30s with not team threatening.
With just under 2 minutes left in the game, Magazine punted and touched the ball to down it. Mat Davis looked at Coach Cowart and smiled because Western Yell County had taken advantage of them with the same type of play. Davis picked up the ball and returned it to the 12 of Magazine. This put Davis and Murray in business. Coach Cowart called a timeout and rallied the boys. Hartford had tried to get the ball to Murray, but he was smothered. It was 3rd down and an opportunity was coming to an end. Coach Cowart had installed the ProI during offseason, but hardly used it. At this point in the game, Coach had an idea. The Hustlers got in the I and the Rattlers got in their base defense. Murray was single covered. Coach Jones called a monster blitz, but he realized that Hartford was in the I. He knew what was about to happen, the fans knew what was about to happen, the only person in the stadium who didn't know what was about to happen was the safety who had been doubling Murray all night. Coach Cowart called the perfect PAP, Davis released the ball as he was getting clobbered by a LB, Murray caught the pass in the back of the endzone for a 12-8 victory.

Ventman

Man you guys have some great memories!

ReddieKnightTrojan

Lions84

The fall after I got out (1984)Clarendon beat Barton at Home and that was the last time Barton lost a district game till 111th game later in District.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: Lions84 on April 26, 2016, 09:37:56 am
The fall after I got out (1984)Clarendon beat Barton at Home and that was the last time Barton lost a district game till 111th game later in District.
I remember that Barton run...that is a feat of historical proportions.
Another feat of historical proportions...Dierks had lost like 50 games in a row until they beat Caddo Hills in the late 80s...if Caddo Hills ever won another game it was at most 2.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: unbiased_fan on April 26, 2016, 10:24:46 am
Not 2A but any time i got to see Madre Hill was a blast.

Ola w/Bubba Nokes playing at Magnet Cove.  There was so much hype around that kid and Magnet put it on Ola.  The MC QB outplayed Bubba.

The playoff run Strong had with Dixon, not even finishing top 2 in their conference and him plowing them to a championship was fun to watch.
That's some good stuff!

Ventman

Quote from: ReddieKnightTrojan on April 26, 2016, 07:51:43 am
Talk to us, Ventman
I can't tell you play for play what happened and this is going to sound dumb. One of the best games I ever witnessed was a jr high game. I think it was 2013, Carlisle vs PW. It went to four overtimes I believe. Just fun to watch and ashame someone had to lose. Carlisle vs JC three years ago in the playoffs was awesome too!

bleudog

April 26, 2016, 08:15:47 pm #9 Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:05:43 pm by bleudog
Hands down the 1999 2A quaterfinal playoff game between U$C and JC.  AKA: The Night the Lights Went Out in Junction.

Somebody hit a transformer pole near the highway causing a power outage delaying the game. When power was restored, the clock didn't work so time was kept on the field. There are still Dragon fans who swear U$C scored the winning TD after the game should have been over.  The final score was 70-64 and there was NO overtime.

U$C couldn't stop the run. JC rushed for 628 yards lead by Marcus Godfrey's 308 yards on 22 carries.  In Godfrey's first five carries he had 238 yards and three TD of 39 yds, 93 yds and 79 yds. 

JC couldn't stop the pass. (Didn't help that the JC running backs who were putting up those gaudy rushing numbers were the same guys playing DB and guarding fly patterns all night.) 

Malzahn wrote about the game in his HUNH book.

http://grantland.com/features/gus-malzahn-offensive-evolution/

big E

Quote from: Ventman on April 26, 2016, 03:58:00 pm
I can't tell you play for play what happened and this is going to sound dumb. One of the best games I ever witnessed was a jr high game. I think it was 2013, Carlisle vs PW. It went to four overtimes I believe. Just fun to watch and ashame someone had to lose. Carlisle vs JC three years ago in the playoffs was awesome too!
Yeah that was a classic they played on the south end of course and both sides had crammed on that end of the track cool experience for the kids and the fans alike.

big E

2003 when PW actually went to the playoffs we were playing Lea Ridge in the second round at PW. They had shut bucksweep down to both sides. I can remember Coach Farmer telling the boys calm down we fixing to give something they ain't seen. Our qb Fred Leak hadn't carried the ball but twice all year on wedge keep both went for 6. Both were Real early in the year. The next series Farmer tells Freddy as he called him ride it in Tony s gut and watch the end he crashes your gone and he was write. He had 220 yards that night. And we won 32-14. The other one was in 2004 we were playing Barton and it was homecoming yeah crazy I know. They had went up on us 6-0 at half and we were all saying here we go again then Tony Leak breaks a 60 yarder on trap and we tie the game. Next series Freddy hit Brad Barton on the deep rout on waggle and we were up 13-6 . At the start of the 4th Brad Barton broke on bucks weep and we were up 19-6. That was the first time we had ever beaten Barton the scoreboard stayed on all weekend I think.  The next year we were playing Lavaca in the second round and our first play from scrimmage was going to be trap. I was keeping stats standing beside Farmer when Tony broke and Farmer looked at me and said big E this is gonna be a good night for us our guard didn't pull and trap turned into gut and it still went 80. Antonio had over 300 on the ground that night.

ReddieKnightTrojan

Good stuff guys...keep it coming

ReddieKnightTrojan

Quote from: unbiased_fan on April 28, 2016, 07:48:16 am
Oh this past season Magnet Cove vs Conway Christian.  Magnet lead the entire game.  Conway Christian scores to take the lead with less than 15 seconds to go in the game.  Magnet Cove gets 1 heave play, CC gets a pick 6 and wins by double digits.  Magnet lead the entire game and loses by 10+ at the end.
That's terrible...if you're a Magnet fan.

Rida4Life

Dixon's Sr. year vs Parkers Chapel.  Goes 99 on their first series and PC holds him to like 20 yards the rest of the night.  Philip Hay outplayed him that night and PC becomes the last team to beat them before they go on their title run.

The night the lights went out in JC.... what a game.... what a story!  Unreal offensive performances that night.

Got to see Basil Shabazz play El Dorado back in the day..... WOW what an athlete.... if he had gone Football out of high school instead of trying pro baseball he may have been the best player ever to come out of the state.

ReddieKnightTrojan

How about some Madre Hill stories, or DMac, or...

Jag-Class07

I cant remember the exact year maybe 05 or 06 . The year that Des Arc played Harding Academy at Des Arc . Now that was one heck of a game down to the wire.

Hornet4ever

Greenwood vs Pulaski Academy state title game in 2006. Rick Jones gambles on the 2 point conversion to win. Amazing football game, one that I and a lot of others will probably never forget..

BigLion10

One of the best 2A games I attended was the 2010 triple overtime Hazen and Carlisle game for the conference crown. That place was rocking and it was a heckuva game too

BrianfromCarlisle

May 08, 2016, 11:22:06 pm #19 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:28:30 pm by BrianfromCarlisle
Quote from: Rida4Life on May 05, 2016, 10:24:57 am
Dixon's Sr. year vs Parkers Chapel.  Goes 99 on their first series and PC holds him to like 20 yards the rest of the night.  Philip Hay outplayed him that night and PC becomes the last team to beat them before they go on their title run.

The night the lights went out in JC.... what a game.... what a story!  Unreal offensive performances that night.

Got to see Basil Shabazz play El Dorado back in the day..... WOW what an athlete.... if he had gone Football out of high school instead of trying pro baseball he may have been the best player ever to come out of the state.
To this day I firmly believe he is the best athlete EVER from Arkansas. He was voted the best athlete in the country his Sr year.

Idoknow

Quote from: unbiased_fan on May 09, 2016, 08:23:35 am
Best athlete ever?  Not a chance

Jermaine Taylor
Shawn Andrews
Basil Shabazz
We have some hall of famers from this state
I see you haven't been around very long, there's been hundreds of great athletes from Ar.! Brian was right about Basil, he was probably the best all around athlete the state has produced! Basil had his choice of scholarships in FB, Track, or Baseball, which he chose when he was drafted. He was also all-state in BB his senior yr. plus being All-State and All- American in the other Three Sports.
Basil still holds records in Track that probably will never be broken, like the 200 meters in 20.08 which was the fasted time in the nation his senior yr., also helped Pine Bluff set record in the 400 and 800 meter relays that still stand.
IMO the only thing that held Basil back was his mind set, because he was one of the most gifted athletes to ever come out of Ar.!

BrianfromCarlisle

Lol. I was about to say!  He was the fastest person I have ever seen with my own eyes. Marcus Thomas from Carlisle is second.

Lions84

Our 3 peat over Brinkley  81 don't remember the score 82 it was 58-16 and my Sr year 83 it was 8-6

Also the Night Basil Shabazz wrecked the vaulted Ark High D in the Rock.
Also 1990 the Cotton Belt Sweep , Pine Bluff , Dollarway  Fordyce and Rison all won state

big E

Shabazz was a man among boys.

ReddieKnightTrojan

jbtiger73

Brinkley vs. Marianna 1999. The trojans had the most talent in our league that year. But we had the heart, depth and #2 ranked defense statistics wise in class 3A. Pouring down, monsoon like rain. Flooded field. All the ingredients for a grind em out smash mouth game. 50 seconds left, we throw a 60 yard bomb to win the game 6-0. Soon as the game is over, it clears up and stops raining. They had clearly one of the best players in the state that year regardless of classification in Elliott Harris. Who went on to play at Arkansas and Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay. Btw, he had 28 tackles that game. And had two 60+yard punts that night. That was a night to definitely remember. And he was a nightmare to play against for 3 years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas