• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mark Uhiren named Head Coach of the Carlisle Bison

Started by BrianfromCarlisle, February 23, 2016, 02:54:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianfromCarlisle

How bout let's move the discussion out of the other thread?

Carry on

HorseFeathers

BrianfromCarlisle

Surely he does.  you can definitely pass out of the Diamond T.  The main focus has to be discipline with the kids.  and the weight room.  Which they have been hitting hard since Coach R has been in charge of them

LC sports

Chad Wise used to pass out of it when he was the Lonoke QB in 2000 and they went undefeated in the regular season.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle link=topic=146513.msg3321472#msg3321472 date=14562623
/quote]The main focus has to be discipline with the kids.

You do know this is what EVERY person who ever coached high school sports says don't you?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HF on February 23, 2016, 03:10:56 pm
Does he know that the forward pass is legal?

Ask him about the 50 yd beauty he threw for a TD just before half in a playoff game at Earle.  Put the nail in the coffin of the defending state champs.  A steady run game can set up easy pass plays.

Since the defense has been spotty at best the past couple years, a time consuming ground game is probably what they need.  Shorten the game to compensate for weak spots.  Throwing it 20-25 times a game doesn't allow for that.

BrianfromCarlisle

There were reasons the defense was spotty at best.  It could have been way better.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on February 23, 2016, 03:45:11 pm
Ask him about the 50 yd beauty he threw for a TD just before half in a playoff game at Earle.  Put the nail in the coffin of the defending state champs.  A steady run game can set up easy pass plays.

Since the defense has been spotty at best the past couple years, a time consuming ground game is probably what they need.  Shorten the game to compensate for weak spots.  Throwing it 20-25 times a game doesn't allow for that.

Yes....but the forward pass post is something of an ongoing subject with me and the 2A-6 board oldtimers....

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on February 23, 2016, 03:40:00 pm
You do know this is what EVERY person who ever coached high school sports says don't you?
Just saying it won't work. It has to be preached. These kids have sorely lacked discipline the last few seasons

BrianfromCarlisle

The forward pass is always a testy subject around Carlisle. You say it and many start thinking run and shoot. Lol. It is absolutely necessary to keep defenses honest. Screens will be sufficient. Slant patterns something to keep 11 out of the box on every play

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on February 23, 2016, 03:52:20 pm
Just saying it won't work. It has to be preached. These kids have sorely lacked discipline the last few seasons

Wouldn't a better question to ask would be WHY have the kids sorely lacked discipline the last few seasons?

For one,   do the parents and the team supporters REALLY want discipline?    Or is it more a case of "those other kids need discipline"?

And,  what kind of discipline are they talking about wanting?   

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: HF on February 23, 2016, 03:51:45 pm
Yes....but the forward pass post is something of an ongoing subject with me and the 2A-6 board oldtimers....

I knew where you were going.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on February 23, 2016, 04:48:56 pm

I knew where you were going.

You  have to admit that McCrory kinda proved it this year 8)

Anyway, back to the subject of the thread...Good Luck to Carlisle with this Hire, hopefully he sticks around and Carlisle doesn't become just another program that's seen better days...Just wouldnt be right to see the Bison at the bottom of the pile every year instead of being a contender most years...

BrianfromCarlisle

Previous head coach didn't hold players accountable.  Hopefully that is addressed. That will be a massive step in the right direction.

BrianfromCarlisle

The more I think about it, the more I think a hometown guy is exactly what was needed. Someone who understands what it means for Carlisle to win. I'm optimistic.

bigworm

I heard a guy say coaching in your home town is the most difficult position to be in. He said that because fans and parents always had their opinions and were very willing to voice them since he was a "home town boy". I still think this is a good hire for the Bizen. But if he is a true disciplinarian, don't expect instant results. There will be kids who can't take it. It may take a couple of years to get it going.

Ventman

Quote from: bigworm on February 23, 2016, 10:42:03 pm
I heard a guy say coaching in your home town is the most difficult position to be in. He said that because fans and parents always had their opinions and were very willing to voice them since he was a "home town boy". I still think this is a good hire for the Bizen. But if he is a true disciplinarian, don't expect instant results. There will be kids who can't take it. It may take a couple of years to get it going.
I agree with worm, it may get rougher before it gets better. I hope he can get the ship back on track. Good luck to the Bison in the future.

Idoknow

Quote from: Ventman on February 24, 2016, 06:59:30 am
I agree with worm, it may get rougher before it gets better. I hope he can get the ship back on track. Good luck to the Bison in the future.
I've seen it before, the border line kids that have quitting on their minds probably will guit. The real FB players will be there, to much pride and tradition in Carlisle! The ones that quit would be a drag on the ones that want to play.
Good luck to Coach Uhiren and the Bison!

Lions84

whippersnapper

Have always been a big fan of the Diamond T, glad to see it make it's way back to arkansas football.

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: Idoknow on February 24, 2016, 09:42:51 am
I've seen it before, the border line kids that have quitting on their minds probably will guit. The real FB players will be there, to much pride and tradition in Carlisle! The ones that quit would be a drag on the ones that want to play.
Good luck to Coach Uhiren and the Bison!
There will either be addition by subtraction, or the ones that want to slack will get on board.  It's going to be nice to watch a football team that will be strong and disciplined for a change. 

And Lonnie Roberson deserves a TON of credit for having the boys in offseason tearing that weight room up.  He has been putting it on them since Keith left

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on February 24, 2016, 03:53:51 pm
There will either be addition by subtraction, or the ones that want to slack will get on board.  It's going to be nice to watch a football team that will be strong and disciplined for a change. 

And Lonnie Roberson deserves a TON of credit for having the boys in offseason tearing that weight room up.  He has been putting it on them since Keith left

According to this former player, they better get used to it.

I know his offseason program is no joke.  It is extremely tough (or it was when I was playing), but he gets results.  We had guys 170-200 pounds who were benching right at 300 or better by the time they were seniors.  One of our best running backs, Deopolis Smith, weighed 160 pounds soak and wet, and dead-lifted right at 600 pounds if I remember correctly.  Very rarely were we naturally bigger than our opponents but we were stronger and tougher, and beat many teams that were more athletic, faster, etc. 

tmycjy

Want to congratulate mark uhirons on getting the job and want to wish them luck

Ventman

Bump anymore news in Bisonville? How is the offseason going?

Big Dave

Uhiren won't be there till after Spring Break. But, I can tell you Roberson is working them hard.

FD4

That sounds sweet for the Herd.  Come to Wynne and look at the stadium.  You will see 01 and 04 State Titles in the northeast end zone.  They got there with the Diamond T.  And your absolutely right about one thing, strength and discipline go hand in hand with this offense.  Many have tried it, several have failed with it, most if they actually know how to run it win with it.  It is more about timing, double team blocking, and most of all, quickness, not speed, but quick.  Wynne had a great run with it from 99 to 06 and honestly if you ask "The General" he would tell you, he should have had five in a row.  But enough of the past.  If your a Bison, listen up, this thing will work but your gonna have to buy into it lock, stock, and barrel and commit yourself.

Ventman

The bison know about ground and pound. They did it for a lot of years. I hope the kids will buy into it. It sure is fun to grind for 7-8 minutes and then put it into the endzone. Do that a few times and get few stops on defense and you can win a lot of games. I'm ready for fall!

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Ventman on March 02, 2016, 05:34:41 pm
The bison know about ground and pound. They did it for a lot of years. I hope the kids will buy into it. It sure is fun to grind for 7-8 minutes and then put it into the endzone. Do that a few times and get few stops on defense and you can win a lot of games. I'm ready for fall!

That depends if your personnel are right for it.

I think the biggest mistake a new coach makes is trying to fit his players into his system rather than develop a system that is optimized for his available talent.

Ventman

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 02, 2016, 07:51:20 pm
That depends if your personnel are right for it.

I think the biggest mistake a new coach makes is trying to fit his players into his system rather than develop a system that is optimized for his available talent.
Your right DK, gotta have the right players for sure.

Lions84

The Diamond T and even the Wing T has brought a many of State Titles to Eastern Ark the past 30+ years. 

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 04, 2016, 12:02:24 pm
The Diamond T and even the Wing T has brought a many of State Titles to Eastern Ark the past 30+ years.

Many?

OT15

Wing T offense brought home 8 titles at Barton alone.

Sonofasonofasailor

Has he made it Carlisle yet and if so, any feedback?

Ventman

I think he started Monday, I haven't heard any feedback yet. According to some Marion posters he runs a tough offseason. Coach Roberson has been working the boys hard in the weight room already. Be interesting to see what they do this year. Some good talent moving up from the jr high.

Big Dave

From what I'm being told, the kids are giving positve feedback so far.

Ventman

Quote from: Big Dave on April 13, 2016, 09:21:05 pm
From what I'm being told, the kids are giving positve feedback so far.
Thats good news

Lions84

JJYahoo

as long as he remembers that this is NOT 1985....There are other sports and activities at Carlisle besides football.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas