• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Clarendon ever return to it former Glory in Football.

Started by Lions84, February 09, 2016, 12:02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesus Saves

big E

I think the glory thing is kinda confusing some . The question should be will they be competitive. You must crawl before you walk.

Lions84

Quote from: big E on March 28, 2016, 04:40:04 pm
I think the glory thing is kinda confusing some . The question should be will they be competitive. You must crawl before you walk.

Glory to me was winning District 2 times in 3 years , Being respected when we went on the road, the believe we could play with anybody , full stands on Home games on Friday night.  We had a great run with Mike Gray and another with Coach Hart. with our up and down seasons in-between. I remember when winning less than 6 games put the staff on the hot seat unless we had a bad case of the Injury bug.  I not seen a Clarendon Lion win in Person in over 20 years,  Both Homecoming weekends as part of our 10-20 year reunions we got thumped by Carlisle and Des Arc.

WPWells

I find it interesting that you say "put the staff on the hot seat" because it feels to me that in high school coaches simply don't get fired that often because of poor on-field performance.

purpleswag

Quote from: Fred Bird on March 30, 2016, 01:47:53 pm
I find it interesting that you say "put the staff on the hot seat" because it feels to me that in high school coaches simply don't get fired that often because of poor on-field performance.

And they usually quit before they can get fired  ;D

Lions84

Quote from: Fred Bird on March 30, 2016, 01:47:53 pm

Most call a buddy and get another job and resign before the board cans him.

big E

Or like a certain Coach they hide behind the teachers union and hold a program hostage because they know the school want pay 2 head football coaches.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Lions84 on March 21, 2016, 10:45:10 am
We sent Rodney Scaife to the NFL via Delta State , Kerry Owens to the NFL via UA  and Cedric Houston via the UA  Then Tank Daniels to the NFL via Harding.  That all I remember since 1984.

Kerry Owens graduated from Stuttgart.  :)

Lions84

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on March 22, 2016, 09:16:26 pm

Ummm, I'm not the best clarendon sports historian,  but I do know enough to know Cedric went to university of Tennessee,  not the U of A

He went to UA for one year was buried on the Depth chart and Phat Phil got him to transfer to Tenner.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Lions84 on April 01, 2016, 11:58:53 am
He went to UA for one year was buried on the Depth chart and Phat Phil got him to transfer to Tenner.
So two NFL players on the same roster in 2000-01 and no conference title

Lions84

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 01, 2016, 09:59:29 am
Kerry Owens graduated from Stuttgart.  :)

Yep but he went to school at Clarendon till his SR year when he moved to Stuttgart cause the UA recruiter told him they could not recruit him if he stayed at Clarendon due to Frank Broyles bais against small town schools.

BrianfromCarlisle

Cedric Houston never went to Arkansas.   He played from98-00 at Clarendon 01-04 at Tennessee then was drafted in 05

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Lions84 on April 01, 2016, 12:01:42 pm
Yep but he went to school at Clarendon till his SR year when he moved to Stuttgart cause the UA recruiter told him they could not recruit him if he stayed at Clarendon due to Frank Broyles bais against small town schools.

Kerry Owens played for Ken Hatfield, not Frank.  If Frank had a bias against small schools, how did Harold Horton (Dewitt) Billy Ray Smith, Sr. (Augusta) Jon Brittenum and Jerry Eckwood (Brinkley), Micheal Forrest (Earle), Brad Shoup (Carlisle), Tommy Harris and Jerry Saxton (Des Arc) and numerous others that played at small schools ever make it to Fayetteville? 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

I'm pretty sure he went straight to Tennessee

big E

I'm pretty sure he went to Tennessee also The Howard kid went to the hill and Cedric went to Rocky top.

BrianfromCarlisle

big E

Glad we cleared that up 84 been in Texas to long lol.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on April 02, 2016, 09:56:08 pm
He absolutely never went to Arkansas.

And that's because Frank had a bias against players from small schools. :)

Lions84

He committed to Ark as a HS Jr and then signed with Tinner on NS day. 

purplehajj

But you said he went to Arkansas for a year get it straight 84

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Lions84 on April 04, 2016, 11:55:10 am
He committed to Ark as a HS Jr and then signed with Tinner on NS day.

Then how did he spend one year at Arkansas buried on the depth chart? 

big E

Tigerdad2

Should Marvell have this same topic . They did win a state title in 85

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 05, 2016, 09:01:21 pm
Should Marvell have this same topic . They did win a state title in 85

Situation at Clarendon and Marvell aren't all that different.  Clarendon still has some semblance of parental involvement and support, Marvell has none.  Students, behavior, test scores are VERY similar.  Clarendon does make an effort to hire assistant coaches in all sports (trying to hire another currently), to provide financial support for athletics and to create a positive culture around their programs.  Marvell athletics get no support from the school district or community.  Neither school is going to be relevant in football again.

big E

It won't be long and it will be a Philips County school District Marvell,Barton and Helena West Helena. At least that's the buzz going around.

Lions84

Quote from: big E on April 06, 2016, 05:32:39 am
It won't be long and it will be a Philips County school District Marvell,Barton and Helena West Helena. At least that's the buzz going around.

They floated a county wide school board in the delta counties since the 1970's according to Buddy Harding who was a Coach and Principal at Clarendon for nearly 40 years.  He said the state laid out the framework but it had no support with the voters so they just let it set in a file since that time.

As for my errors, I lived out of state since 1993 and I only share what I have read and I was told that Cedric went to the Hill with Scott Davenport by a Coach on the staff at that time. Then I was told he never went after talking to Coach Grimes and Danny Nutt cause he was going to ride the pine for one or two years.  So Phat Phil offered him a chance to start at Tinner and to Rockey Top he went.  Bottom Line for me is he one of the former Lions who went to the NFL.

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 06, 2016, 08:14:00 am
They floated a county wide school board in the delta counties since the 1970's according to Buddy Harding who was a Coach and Principal at Clarendon for nearly 40 years.  He said the state laid out the framework but it had no support with the voters so they just let it set in a file since that time.

As for my errors, I lived out of state since 1993 and I only share what I have read and I was told that Cedric went to the Hill with Scott Davenport by a Coach on the staff at that time. Then I was told he never went after talking to Coach Grimes and Danny Nutt cause he was going to ride the pine for one or two years.  So Phat Phil offered him a chance to start at Tinner and to Rockey Top he went.  Bottom Line for me is he one of the former Lions who went to the NFL.

So you had an NFL-caliber RB and he never led you to a state championship?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 06, 2016, 09:16:30 am
So you had an NFL-caliber RB and he never led you to a state championship?

And he was running behind an O-line that included a four-year letterman for the Hogs.

WPWells

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on April 06, 2016, 09:33:17 am
And he was running behind an O-line that included a four-year letterman for the Hogs.

Sounds like wasted talent more than glory

beach bum

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 06, 2016, 03:17:22 pm
Sounds like wasted talent more than glory

Easy now... I have been told I was a terrible person before for just questioning why people don't win more games with so much college level players at small schools like 2A or 3A schools, even 4A!

big E

Other than Davenport on that O line I don't remember the rest of them being that big. Cedrics fullback was smaller than he was.

Lions84

Quote from: big E on April 07, 2016, 05:26:18 am
Other than Davenport on that O line I don't remember the rest of them being that big. Cedrics fullback was smaller than he was.

Yep and Ced still holds the most TD's in a Career in Ark HS Football.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: big E on April 07, 2016, 05:26:18 am

I think the point is they failed to bring home the hardware despite having two SEC players on a 2A team.

Tigerdad2

mtindian42

Marked tree beat him and Clarendon 40-14 one of his years. I thank it was his sr year.

Lions84

Yes we had some strange things happen but folk we all got to remember 2 studs can not always take a team to the crown.  Dixon at Strong was a rare one.

big E

Quote from: mtindian42 on April 08, 2016, 06:10:53 am
Marked tree beat him and Clarendon 40-14 one of his years. I thank it was his sr year.
Wrong Ceds Sr year was the year they went to semi's and beat Marked tree at Marked tree don't take my word for it look it up.

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2016, 07:39:18 am
Yes we had some strange things happen but folk we all got to remember 2 studs can not always take a team to the crown.  Dixon at Strong was a rare one.

Why not?

Idoknow

Quote from: big E on April 08, 2016, 09:40:16 pm
Wrong Ceds Sr year was the year they went to semi's and beat Marked tree at Marked tree don't take my word for it look it up.
Clarendon beat Marked Tree 41-24 in 2nd rd. in 2000, then lost to Shiloh Christian 40-28 in Semifinals.

wake up

Quote from: Idoknow on April 09, 2016, 10:13:25 am
Clarendon beat Marked Tree 41-24 in 2nd rd. in 2000, then lost to Shiloh Christian 40-28 in Semifinals.
Thank's for clearing that up!

mtindian42

In 01 we beat them 40-14 he may have already been gone...

big E

Idoknow

Quote from: big E on April 09, 2016, 07:55:47 pm
And it was Rison not shiloh that beat them.
You're right big E, Rison beat Clarendon 26-7 and then beat Shiloh 30-29 in ot in Championship Game.

big E

I can remember Shiloh wouldn't take that 140 pound nose out of the game and Rison ate them up from b gap to b gap.

Lions84

Folks at home say we are snake bit cause we had several pairs of college and NFL talent on our team and never won a state title.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Lions84 on April 11, 2016, 10:04:51 am
Folks at home say we are snake bit cause we had several pairs of college and NFL talent on our team and never won a state title.

That's insane.

Lions84

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on April 11, 2016, 10:08:14 am
That's insane.

It will drive you insane.  We not been to the state title game since 1972   With Kerry Owens and Rodney Scaife we got knocked out our Jr year in the 2nd round against McGhee .  Later with Cedric and Davenport we got to the final 4 and got knockedout.  We did win state a in Track  the past 20 years or so  but Football and even Basketball we always seem to come up short.

big E

WPWells

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on April 11, 2016, 10:08:14 am
That's insane.

All ties back to a lack of coaching among other things. There's no reason NFL/D1 players shouldn't be able to win a state championship in the smallest classification. Seems glory days may be an exaggeration

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 11, 2016, 01:22:15 pm
All ties back to a lack of coaching among other things. There's no reason NFL/D1 players shouldn't be able to win a state championship in the smallest classification. Seems glory days may be an exaggeration

Perhaps because football is a TEAM sport.    More so than most other major American team sports.

People like to bring up Kenneth Dixon at Strong.    IIRC Kenneth's state title team at Strong had at least 7 other All Conference players besides him.   At every major position on the team.   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas