• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Clarendon ever return to it former Glory in Football.

Started by Lions84, February 09, 2016, 12:02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on April 11, 2016, 07:39:05 pm
Perhaps because football is a TEAM sport.    More so than most other major American team sports.

People like to bring up Kenneth Dixon at Strong.    IIRC Kenneth's state title team at Strong had at least 7 other All Conference players besides him.   At every major position on the team.
Two things, a SEC/ NFL runningback plus a SEC lineman should never lose a game in 2a Arkansas high school football.Also, all conference, there's hundreds of posters on here that were all conference high school players, it doesn't mean much

Ventman

Strong doesn't win the state title without Dixon. He was just a beast of a player and one or two good players make a real difference at the 2A level. Prime example is McCrory this year. They don't beat Rison without Rogo and Campbell.

Lions84

I expect if we can get back to winning district 2 times a decade. we would be fine.  Folks forget we were in district in the 1980's with Barton all but 2-years.  Barton didn't lose a district game from 1984 till the streak ended at 110 games in a row in District.

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 13, 2016, 09:11:03 am
I expect if we can get back to winning district 2 times a decade. we would be fine.  Folks forget we were in district in the 1980's with Barton all but 2-years.  Barton didn't lose a district game from 1984 till the streak ended at 110 games in a row in District.

Why do you think you'd ever be able to get back to that point?

beach bum

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on April 11, 2016, 07:39:05 pm
Perhaps because football is a TEAM sport.    More so than most other major American team sports.

People like to bring up Kenneth Dixon at Strong.    IIRC Kenneth's state title team at Strong had at least 7 other All Conference players besides him.   At every major position on the team.

Football is a team sport but I have seen plenty of 2A football to tell you half the guys on the field on defense were the size that I was in high school. If you have a furure NFL running back you should run through them with ease. We aren't talking about the 7A West.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: beach bum on April 13, 2016, 09:18:40 am
Football is a team sport but I have seen plenty of 2A football to tell you half the guys on the field on defense were the size that I was in high school. If you have a furure NFL running back you should run through them with ease. We aren't talking about the 7A West.

IIRC,  future NFL Hall of Famer John Riggins at Centralia Kansas High School averaged more than 60 yards per kickoff return and 40 yards per punt return  simply because he was so massive and powerful that opposing players were terrified of tackling him.

Still didn't win a state title though.

Lions84

I would love to see us get back to 6-9 wins every year or so and to win district again.   The 10th graders my Jr Year when we won district in 82 and then they won it again in 84.  It crazy we not won district since. My Sr class had the best record of the decade at 8-2.

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 19, 2016, 02:01:06 pm
I would love to see us get back to 6-9 wins every year or so and to win district again.   The 10th graders my Jr Year when we won district in 82 and then they won it again in 84.  It crazy we not won district since. My Sr class had the best record of the decade at 8-2.

Sooooooo something hasn't happened in 30+ years. Why do you think it will ever happen again?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 19, 2016, 02:36:27 pm
Sooooooo something hasn't happened in 30+ years. Why do you think it will ever happen again?
and my 11 year old calls me a dream crusher.

Lions84

Quote from: Fred Bird on April 19, 2016, 02:36:27 pm

Because DA and Hazen have.

WPWells

Quote from: Lions84 on April 25, 2016, 03:42:03 pm

I get it. You're delusional and live in the past. This isn't the same place as it was in 1984, so the answer to your thread title is NO because they never had any glory and will never even get back to that level.

Tigerdad2

It's obvious that Clarendon has athletes. I agree, I don't understand the glory. Try and be average or respectable. Small steps

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Lions84 on April 25, 2016, 03:42:03 pm

It's coaches,  player attitudes and parent support, which all 3 are lacking at clarendon. Until you improve in those areas, you will not be on the same level as carlisle, des arc, hazen or mccrory. Plain and simple.

Lions84

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on April 26, 2016, 08:27:29 am
It's coaches,  player attitudes and parent support, which all 3 are lacking at clarendon. Until you improve in those areas, you will not be on the same level as carlisle, des arc, hazen or mccrory. Plain and simple.

I was contacted last week that the Coach is reaching out to all former players. So we will see what happens we raised money a decade or so a go to get that new field house equipped.  We been sending kids off to play college sports every since I got out so we got some kids but I heard the past 15 years or so the support in the stands has died off.  Coaching we had folks win other places come here and struggle and go other places and win. So I pointing my finger at lack of Parental support.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Lions84 on April 26, 2016, 09:34:19 am
I was contacted last week that the Coach is reaching out to all former players. So we will see what happens we raised money a decade or so a go to get that new field house equipped.  We been sending kids off to play college sports every since I got out so we got some kids but I heard the past 15 years or so the support in the stands has died off.  Coaching we had folks win other places come here and struggle and go other places and win. So I pointing my finger at lack of Parental support.

The kids have to put in the work

MomaLion

That's a big part of the problem...they don't like the summer work.  I have seen increased efforts in building community support and getting the kids to more summer camps etc.  I think we'll be fine as long as we keep a coach and the kids buy into him.  We also have the issue with having several kids playing AAU basketball in summer...let's face it, basketball is their passion.  It's going to take time to bring football back to the forefront.

big E

Yall have problems keeping a coach we have a problem getting rid of one. We should trade.

Lions84

Quote from: big E on April 27, 2016, 05:22:09 am
Yall have problems keeping a coach we have a problem getting rid of one. We should trade.

LOL

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: big E on April 27, 2016, 05:22:09 am

I don't think changes coaches often is that big of deal, des arc has had 4 since the 2008 season.

Lions84

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on April 27, 2016, 04:40:58 pm
I don't think changes coaches often is that big of deal, des arc has had 4 since the 2008 season.

I been real proud of what going on at DA and it makes me envious cause I still believe we can have a winning program at Clarendon.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: Lions84 on April 28, 2016, 12:09:45 pm
I been real proud of what going on at DA and it makes me envious cause I still believe we can have a winning program at Clarendon.

You mentioned Des Arc and Hazen in comparison to Clarendon.  That is night and day.  Des Arc and Hazen are districts that are having success in multiple facets.  They still get good to very good support.  They have community involvement.  Clarendon doesn't get that.  Des Arc and Hazen have everything they need to be successful, Clarendon doesn't.  Clarendon is MUCH closer to the Marvell end of the 6-2A spectrum in terms of achievement, behavior, parental/community support, etc. than they are to the McCrory/Hazen/Des Arc end of the spectrum.

I'm a bit taken aback by some of the comments about coaching at Clarendon, too.  Meek is a good football coach.  He's not the problem.  Thrash wasn't the problem.  A continued downturn in expectation, support and patrons are the problem at Clarendon.

Ventman

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on April 30, 2016, 05:21:21 pm
You mentioned Des Arc and Hazen in comparison to Clarendon.  That is night and day.  Des Arc and Hazen are districts that are having success in multiple facets.  They still get good to very good support.  They have community involvement.  Clarendon doesn't get that.  Des Arc and Hazen have everything they need to be successful, Clarendon doesn't.  Clarendon is MUCH closer to the Marvell end of the 6-2A spectrum in terms of achievement, behavior, parental/community support, etc. than they are to the McCrory/Hazen/Des Arc end of the spectrum.

I'm a bit taken aback by some of the comments about coaching at Clarendon, too.  Meek is a good football coach.  He's not the problem.  Thrash wasn't the problem.  A continued downturn in expectation, support and patrons are the problem at Clarendon.
Everything starts at and community support is huge. I've been to many Lions home game and the Carlisle fans outnumbered the Lions fans three to one. Clarendon has the athletes, they just need support from the community and they could be a very good football program again!

MomaLion

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on April 27, 2016, 04:40:58 pm
But y'all weren't basically started at the bottom and rebuilding completely.  It helps to already have some structure in your program to build off of.

MomaLion

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on April 30, 2016, 05:21:21 pm

I don't think anybody has said that the coaches themselves are they problem...in fact, i've said many many times that Thrash had something good starting and I feel that Meek is building on that as well.  However when you have a revolving door of coaches and the kids really haven't had the chance to build any type of structure, it's a problem.  Nobody ever said the coaches weren't good coaches.
As for community support, you obviously haven't been to one of our basketball games lol...that said, I realize we are talking about football and it'll take time to build that support back. Trust me, those kids know who is there at every event both football and basketball.

MomaLion

Quote from: Ventman on April 30, 2016, 10:37:01 pm
Everything starts at and community support is huge. I've been to many Lions home game and the Carlisle fans outnumbered the Lions fans three to one. Clarendon has the athletes, they just need support from the community and they could be a very good football program again!
We're working on it for sure...Thrash and Meek have both done a good job at getting the community involved...we still have a long way to go but we are optimistic.

Lions84

I believe that the raw materials are their and the Community got to get back behind the Lions Football Program. 
Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 25, 2016, 09:24:20 pm
It's obvious that Clarendon has athletes. I agree, I don't understand the glory. Try and be average or respectable. Small steps

Glory for me was beating Brinkley 3 years in a row for the first time since the Sr Class of 62 Pulled it off. Also it was great to be County Champions beating Brinkley and HG in the same year.

WPWells

Clarendon will never "return" to their non-existent "glory" in football. That's just how it is.

Wonderdog

Quote from: MomaLion on May 02, 2016, 02:06:18 am
I don't think anybody has said that the coaches themselves are they problem...in fact, i've said many many times that Thrash had something good starting and I feel that Meek is building on that as well.  However when you have a revolving door of coaches and the kids really haven't had the chance to build any type of structure, it's a problem.  Nobody ever said the coaches weren't good coaches.
As for community support, you obviously haven't been to one of our basketball games lol...that said, I realize we are talking about football and it'll take time to build that support back. Trust me, those kids know who is there at every event both football and basketball.
As involved as you are in Clarendon athletic attendance, you are correct about the basketball support, but you are not very up to date on the football side of things. Hudson has as many kids as he wants in basketball and then some, parents show up to basketball games. The football team does not have that fortune. It is pitiful how few parents showed up to support their children in football this year. You have the dedicated few, which as great as they are, they are not enough to get the kids to the point where they feel supported. People like you, the ones that do show up, have to assist in getting others involved in the program even though it is not your "responsibility." That would be a good start in getting things heading back in the right direction in the community.

MomaLion

You obviously didn't read the entire thread. I know that football is lacking in fan support as I'm at every game...and I don't have a kid playing. I'm very aware of the uphill battle we're fighting. I personally update every game and do my best to get the info out on social media encouraging fans to come out and support...even peewee games. I have every confidence that it'll get better.

Lions84

Quote from: MomaLion on May 03, 2016, 12:42:24 am
You obviously didn't read the entire thread. I know that football is lacking in fan support as I'm at every game...and I don't have a kid playing. I'm very aware of the uphill battle we're fighting. I personally update every game and do my best to get the info out on social media encouraging fans to come out and support...even peewee games. I have every confidence that it'll get better.

Since I live out of State it going to depend alot on MomaLion and other folks who still live in Monroe County.

Ventman

I hope they get it going on the river! How is the off season going?

Tigerdad2

big E

purpleswag

MomaLion

Quote from: Ventman on May 03, 2016, 08:29:12 am
I hope they get it going on the river! How is the off season going?
Just finished up track so they should be getting to work on football.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: MomaLion on May 04, 2016, 02:06:48 am
Just finished up track so they should be getting to work on football.

That there is part of the problem,  regardless of what season it is, it's always football season.

MomaLion

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on May 04, 2016, 04:45:31 pm
That there is part of the problem,  regardless of what season it is, it's always football season.
In Clarendon it's always basketball season.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on May 04, 2016, 04:45:31 pm

I think track is a good compliment to football, especially the conditioning gained from workouts from March thru early May. 

Cheek

Clarendon girls were State Runner-up in track this year.   This is an awesome considering they had less than eight girls on the team.   

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Cheek on May 05, 2016, 07:11:37 am
Clarendon girls were State Runner-up in track this year.   This is an awesome considering they had less than eight girls on the team.

They had about 20 at district didn't they?

Dayton Kitchens

Wow!    Then the football team should definitely be competitive.

Tigerdad2

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on May 05, 2016, 08:33:29 pm
Yes they should, they're loaded with athletes

Cheek

I just mentioned since Clarendom had something to be proud of.  I would expect this from you Mr. Assistant.

BigLion10

Yea cheek the 2 mile run is what ultimately gave MC the title. I think they scored 23 to go up by 8 into the final event the 4x400 relay.

MomaLion

Yes, we are very proud of them  :)

MomaLion

Girls were runner up, not boys...last year our boys were pretty good...I think we won district with boys and girls.

Lions84

7AFball

Quote from: Jesus Saves on March 24, 2016, 03:21:47 pm
Former Glory?!?!  Do explain...... ???
Mid 50s through 1960s and 70s... Coach Buddy Harding coaching and being in administration. Our first Old Timer's game in about 1980-81 had hard practices with former players driving 3-4 hours to try to get involved at least 2-3 times to practice and get in "shape". We played Brinkley basically and they had 3 State Troopers on their team. Close game that we won. We had about 800 fans filling the stadium seats and lining the field all around with cars, like the old days in the 50s and 60s. Glory days? Everyone remembers the Holly Grove Thanksgiving Day game which often determined the Championship. Both were always in the top 2-3 in the conference. Yes, there were Glory Days but only old timers like me remember, and we are fastly becoming less and less and passing from this earth.  :-\

Clarendon has gone from a population of about 2548 ( as the bridge sign said ) to currently about 1500 people at best, almost ONE HALF the population of the 50s and 60s. People move because of jobs, closeness to bigger towns and so many other things. Nobody seems to come "back home" because no new business can survive and so few jobs are available. All this ends up with only 14-20 kids out for football. You can do that in basketball but not football, UNLESS tradition and community pride take back over again. If Des Arc and Hazen can do it then Clarendon can do it if a community committee will get involved. It's called a Booster Club. Does Clarendon have one?  After 35 more years have gone by and Coach Harding is a distant memory since his death years ago in Little Rock, the cycles continue and a newer, smaller Clarendon needs to reunite with a TOWN Booster Committee and not just one composed of Parents of students. Will stop here, as I have nothing else to offer on the matter.  I also live out of state but still care about my birthplace. Thanks to FF for the space to ventilate!  :)

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: Cheek on May 05, 2016, 09:55:35 pm
I just mentioned since Clarendom had something to be proud of.  I would expect this from you Mr. Assistant.

My point(s) are as follows:

1) Having "athletes" in a school doesn't by any means a football program will be any good.    Especially in other sports.

As I've pointed out.    "It is football.   Not a track meet".

2) Football is the ultimate team sport.    For success the majority of the players have to play to their best for no obvious rewards or accolades.

3) Football requires staggering amounts of self discipline.   A player has to be willing to force themselves not only to participate but to play and play well even if they are in considerable pain or terribly fatigued.

4) Football requires considerable intelligence by the players themselves.   General intelligence is good of course but also instinctive football intelligence.    Players to be successful need to be able to make key decisions on the field without direct oversight from their coaches.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas