• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 second play clock in High School ball

Started by Walter, February 17, 2019, 05:13:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

February 17, 2019, 05:13:25 pm Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:15:14 pm by Walter
40 second play clock

Not a sure thing for us but who knows.

Does this mean everyone huddles now? The game will have fewer plays and be shorter. Does this favor the bigger schools more than the smaller. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Walter on February 17, 2019, 05:13:25 pm
40 second play clock

Not a sure thing for us but who knows.

Does this mean everyone huddles now? The game will have fewer plays and be shorter. Does this favor the bigger schools more than the smaller. Would love to hear what everyone else thinks.
It will go into effect with the 2019 season. It means once a play is called dead, the 40-second clock starts for the next play. The previous rule was a 25-second clock to start once the ball was placed after a play was called dead.
Teams can still rush to the line once the ball is placed and try to keep things going up-tempo.
A referee friend of mine said he loves the change and can't wait for it to be used.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

It will probably only affect games where teams play fast. It will be like NFL and NCAA where the clock will start as soon as previous play is over instead of 25 seconds once the ready for play whistle starts.  I would say on average it took 12-16 seconds for most crews to spot the ball, but I've seen some take over 20.  Now, theoretically, that won't matter.

Hogman2018

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on February 17, 2019, 06:28:14 pm
It will probably only affect games where teams play fast. It will be like NFL and NCAA where the clock will start as soon as previous play is over instead of 25 seconds once the ready for play whistle starts.  I would say on average it took 12-16 seconds for most crews to spot the ball, but I've seen some take over 20.  Now, theoretically, that won't matter.
I love this rule we (Texarkana ) get to use when we play the Texas schools. Takes it out of the referees hands!  Some are real slow spotting the ball it will be more consistant

Walter

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on February 17, 2019, 06:24:39 pm
It will go into effect with the 2019 season. It means once a play is called dead, the 40-second clock starts for the next play. The previous rule was a 25-second clock to start once the ball was placed after a play was called dead.
Teams can still rush to the line once the ball is placed and try to keep things going up-tempo.
A referee friend of mine said he loves the change and can't wait for it to be used.
According to the article it is only a recommendation. AAA can do what ever they deem best.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Walter on February 17, 2019, 08:18:14 pm
According to the article it is only a recommendation. AAA can do what ever they deem best.
This change was one of seven rules revisions recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee at its January 13-15 meeting in Indianapolis, which were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.

I believe the only thing the AAA will have a say in on these rule changes is whether to allow instant replay in the playoffs.  Complete guess here, but I think they will approve it for the championship game only.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

So would this give teams the ability to run wordier play calls?
"West Right Slot 72 Y Bingo U Split Can It with 58 Lexus Apple 314 Hammer Dummy Snap Count on One"

Wonderdog

Quote from: GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over on February 21, 2019, 12:52:13 pm
So would this give teams the ability to run wordier play calls?
"West Right Slot 72 Y Bingo U Split Can It with 58 Lexus Apple 314 Hammer Dummy Snap Count on One"
If there is a group of high school athletes that can learn a playbook that calls like that I would like to meet them! Haha

Footballguy11

It will be inconsistent this year but will eventually speed up the game.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas