• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charleston

Started by Road_Dogg, January 31, 2019, 08:39:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

punisher

Quote from: punisher on February 16, 2019, 12:24:15 pm
I've heard May from Waldron/Booneville being rumored if that is the person "down the road" you were referring too.  I'm sure he's a good coach, don't know how well he'd fit in Charleston going from a spread to a veer offense and trying to out Booneville, Booneville with fewer players.  I'd imagine he'd have to take a pay cut too, so don't think he'd be an actual option.

Obviously that had some legs to it.  I really am shocked by this hire not due to May's qualifications, but because you had quality coaches like Smith with ties to the program available to step in.

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: punisher on February 16, 2019, 04:06:26 pm
Obviously that had some legs to it.  I really am shocked by this hire not due to May's qualifications, but because you had quality coaches like Smith with ties to the program available to step in.

You would think think that was the obvious choice. Charleston Guy and a resume and a passion for the program. I guess it just made to much sense. We'd hate to do the right thing.

i40traveler

FBGFDRUM

Charleston administration is an absolute joke.

gitrdone

You got a good one, your team will be DICIPLINED and in shape

goodday1

Personally glad Smith didn't get it. Two Smith's trying to run things would be too much. May will do a good job. My choice would have been Doc.

Longfellow

I'm curious to know what the old heads of Charleston think of the hire

doggieskoot2

So do all the kids that "moved in" to run the spread offense leave to go back to Van Buren, or follow Kendrick to Alma?

4real

If all folks are concerned about is the entertainment factor for offensive fireworks and the ball being slung around then they will be disappointed.
If they care about having their program run the right way by a right minded man and coach, then they will love him. I can't predict what he will run, but whatever he runs it will fit his athletes and it will be run with discipline, precision and toughness. He will make men out of boys.  He will support all the programs in the school and build relationships.
I haven't seen a Chucktown game in a while. So I figure they must not have an excessive amount of talent laying around if Kendrick bolted for an assistant job. So perhaps May will bring back a brand of football that Charleston used to be good at before depending on transfers and a once in lifetime QB in Storey.

punisher

Quote from: 4real on February 18, 2019, 02:38:06 pm
If all folks are concerned about is the entertainment factor for offensive fireworks and the ball being slung around then they will be disappointed.
If they care about having their program run the right way by a right minded man and coach, then they will love him. I can't predict what he will run, but whatever he runs it will fit his athletes and it will be run with discipline, precision and toughness. He will make men out of boys.  He will support all the programs in the school and build relationships.
I haven't seen a Chucktown game in a while. So I figure they must not have an excessive amount of talent laying around if Kendrick bolted for an assistant job. So perhaps May will bring back a brand of football that Charleston used to be good at before depending on transfers and a once in lifetime QB in Storey.

Storey was an unbelievable leader and QB.  He QB'd back to back Charleston championships in 2013 and 2014. I forget who the impact transfers were on those teams or the 2005, 2008, and 2011 state championship teams when those teams were Quarterbacked by Stewart and the Shelby boys? Those were the wing T, 141 power and sweep days.  We've always had tough teams with homegrown talent.  I don't know where this narrative started, but it's not accurate.

AlumniLights

February 18, 2019, 04:54:51 pm #60 Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:59:10 pm by AlumniLights
Great hire. Anxious to see if May brings his offensive scheme with him. Stewart ran it well in his years. I am sure they will be able to do multiple. For those who seem to think Charleston has won with transfers, keep reaching.

nastynice

Looky here, Looky here

Tigers be running the Veer! 😂

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: nastynice on February 20, 2019, 01:58:05 pm
Looky here, Looky here

Tigers be running the Veer! 😂

I'll start wearing CL Red if that happens.
I swear it's like we're in a twilight zone.

attaboy

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on February 20, 2019, 02:30:29 pm
now you are talking!!!!!!!!!!!

punisher

Quote from: ChucktownTiger on February 20, 2019, 02:30:29 pm

It certainly seems like we are trying to out smart ourselves?

ChucktownTiger

Quote from: punisher on February 21, 2019, 09:10:14 am
It certainly seems like we are trying to out smart ourselves?

I guess that's what happens when the answer is so easy and right in front of your face. Shoulda been the easiest decision admin has ever made. Shoulda been introducing former alum Smith as HC. Instead we drew the Wild Card.

WarriorFan

The move-in train has ended.

AlumniLights

Redlinebacker32

I think Coach May was a great hire. He is a great leader and motivator of young men, and y'all are all worried about offense, but I believe the ship will sail just fine. It will most likely be a multiple offense with some triple and spread mixed in depending on the strengths of the players and the defenses Charleston faces that week. None of you have mentioned anything defensively as well. Ricky May is a great defensive tactician, and will implement a tough, hard nosed defense. I played for Coach May, and I would run through a brick wall for that man. He loves his players and wants to see them succeed not only on the gridiron, but in life as well. I'm proud to say that I played for Coach May in my high school career. Best of luck to Coach May and the Charleston Tigers this fall!

Mark Few's pupil

Quote from: doggieskoot2 on February 18, 2019, 08:55:35 am
So do all the kids that "moved in" to run the spread offense leave to go back to Van Buren, or follow Kendrick to Alma?

Of those two kids, one moved back to VB and the other is still at Charleston.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas