• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Contenders Make Your Case

Started by incogneto, December 05, 2018, 08:43:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

incogneto

What did your team lose what is returning.  Possible coaching shake ups?  Etc.  who is going to be a contender and why?

Greyhands

Harrison

We lose a CB, nose, DE, Saftey, OLB and two Linemen

Everything else is coming back

Maynard G Krebs

Harrison definitely a contender with the return of several key skill players.  Also expect Morrilton to make a deep run in playoffs should Criswell remain healthy

Greyhands

Go Postal

Harrison had 12 boys and 1 girl Seniors graduate this season.  I believe that the 9th through 12th grades has only lost 4 games in the last 4 years as the 9th grade football team.  They play in the River Valley conference with Alma, Greenwood and other teams.  I did find this post on the Junior High forum from October.

Arkansas River Valley Conference-Harrison and Greenwood
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
Watched this game last night.  For a Freshmen game WOW.  Greenwood took a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and Harrison started to battle back.  The final was 28-27 Harrison.  Greenwoods running back was an absolute beast and is going to be a monster in high school ball.  The Jr Goblins however are a great team.  Not a single standout just a solid team.  The future looks bright in Harrison and of course Greenwood continues to just reload every year.  That win does however put Harrison in the drivers seat for the conference title.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Greyhands on December 05, 2018, 10:04:10 am
Harrison

We lose a CB, nose, DE, Saftey, OLB and two Linemen

Everything else (***Huskey***) is coming back

Fixed it.

AT

Harrison, Morrilton, PA will all be contending. LRC loses their stud, do they have much else coming back?

Can't speak for anyone else. I think Batesville swings back up. Alma will have a bit more of an upswing.

Roscoe

any foreseen coaching changes in the 5A West?

Maynard G Krebs

I've already picked Harrison as a major contender and stand by that.  I just looked over the roster from PA to see the graduation losses: 19 seniors including 3 starting OL, 2 key receivers and a couple of other very reliable receivers.  Defense will take a hit with 5-6 starters moving on.  (I may be off on some the #'s).

Returning is the QB and 4-5 RB/WR's that had significant playing time.  22 juniors and 15 sophomores return.

PA should make another run despite the talent that will graduate.  At the first of this season, I did not expect PA to be in the state championship game or even win conference, but the team improved immensely throughout the season.  Hats off to the coaching staff and players for a great season.

makessense

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 06, 2018, 10:14:09 am
I've already picked Harrison as a major contender and stand by that.  I just looked over the roster from PA to see the graduation losses: 19 seniors including 3 starting OL, 2 key receivers and a couple of other very reliable receivers.  Defense will take a hit with 5-6 starters moving on.  (I may be off on some the #'s).

Returning is the QB and 4-5 RB/WR's that had significant playing time.  22 juniors and 15 sophomores return.

PA should make another run despite the talent that will graduate.  At the first of this season, I did not expect PA to be in the state championship game or even win conference, but the team improved immensely throughout the season.  Hats off to the coaching staff and players for a great season.

I believe PA had 3 seniors that started most of the year on defense, it was not static.  The championship game PA had 2 starting seniors on defense.  OL size will be a real issue next year as well as speed from the WRs.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: makessense on December 06, 2018, 10:29:13 am
I believe PA had 3 seniors that started most of the year on defense, it was not static.  The championship game PA had 2 starting seniors on defense.  OL size will be a real issue next year as well as speed from the WRs.

Thx

#1 Hog fan

I don't particularly know right now but I'm thinking about Little Rock Mcclellan and Camden Fairview I know they lose a lot of seniors but their underclassmen talent is eye-catching and for some odd reason I'm getting chills for next year ???

Hogman2018

Quote from: #1 Hog fan on January 25, 2019, 08:24:26 pm
I don't particularly know right now but I'm thinking about Little Rock Mcclellan and Camden Fairview I know they lose a lot of seniors but their underclassmen talent is eye-catching and for some odd reason I'm getting chills for next year ???
I would get chills too if I picked CF to be a contender!!

tmycjy

I saying wynne has a chance next year wynne ran a bunch so last year and had everyone returning this year we may lose one player

The_Pioneer

Its just PA till someone can make them stop being the owner of 5A.

InYoGrill

Keep an eye on Vilonia. Finished 4-6 in Coach Todd Langrell's first season. Eagles lost to Harrison, Motown in OT, and Christian 1st game of year. Eagles returners will have a good season under their belts with Coach. We should be very competitive in most all games. Don't know much about the roster but just seeing a good brand of football on the field last year was very encouraging!

MDXPHD

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 02, 2019, 09:23:33 pm
Keep an eye on Vilonia. Finished 4-6 in Coach Todd Langrell's first season. Eagles lost to Harrison, Motown in OT, and Christian 1st game of year. Eagles returners will have a good season under their belts with Coach. We should be very competitive in most all games. Don't know much about the roster but just seeing a good brand of football on the field last year was very encouraging!

Who?

Burks

Harrison is the front runner with best backfield in the State. PA a close 2nd. Going out on limb here but I think the Parkview Patriots could crash the party. They lose a All State running back but everyone else is back and their sophomore class has several college players.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Burks on February 17, 2019, 08:01:09 am
Harrison is the front runner with best backfield in the State. PA a close 2nd. Going out on limb here but I think the Parkview Patriots could crash the party. They lose a All State running back but everyone else is back and their sophomore class has seveiral college players.
I agree Harrison should be the front runner

Partsman

Magnolia. I've seen how kids respond to King.

GotInfo?

PA and Harrison. 
Then it's probably everyone else...

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: #1 Hog fan on January 25, 2019, 08:24:26 pm

May want to go get swabbed. I think you may have the flu.  :)

Bought

InYoGrill

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 04, 2019, 04:05:48 pm
Who?

U know RUNDMX, THE Vilonia Eagles from the best conference in 5A- WEST.  ;D

JessieP

PA and Harrison. Harrison will be hyped and talked about all year, deservedly so, and everyone will be on board until they lose by 28 to PA. Morrilton? Possibly the best player in the state but the other 10 are not. Parkview? Swinging up but nowhere near PA. Batesville/Wynne? Better seasons but see Parkview. LRCA? Unless they cloned JH it's a 2nd round playoff defeat by a mercy rule.

incogneto

Quote from: JessieP on February 25, 2019, 08:32:50 pm
PA and Harrison. Harrison will be hyped and talked about all year, deservedly so, and everyone will be on board until they lose by 28 to PA. Morrilton? Possibly the best player in the state but the other 10 are not. Parkview? Swinging up but nowhere near PA. Batesville/Wynne? Better seasons but see Parkview. LRCA? Unless they cloned JH it's a 2nd round playoff defeat by a mercy rule.
There is a clone. 

JessieP

Quote from: incogneto on February 25, 2019, 10:11:29 pm
There is a clone.

That's going to be a problem, I'll change my pick. I wonder why JH isn't leading the Hawgs to the NCAA Tournament? Let me state this is not directed at you, I admit you never went over the top with the reverential praise. Some LRC backers did, they went over the top and placed a trampoline with a ladder on it in the JH praise. Now there has been high school kids who enrolled early and played Basketball right away, within day's of enrollment, Toby Bailey at UCLA slayed Arkansas in the 95 final, enrolled in UCLA in January of 95. Now that the dust has settled can some people finally realize he was a spectacular high school athlete, a special freak talent but he is a good 2 years from contributing to the Hawgs and he'll never play SEC football.

HeberFan

I think the Cleveland Browns will do well !

Air Raider

March 27, 2019, 10:13:46 am #28 Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:07:34 pm by Air Raider
What are the thoughts on Greenbrier?  I watched them play their regular season game against LRCA and then drove over and watched the last game against Vilonia. 

It looks like they are only losing 3 starters total 2 from offense and 1 defense?   One being the QB but they will fill that spot very easily with the kid that transferred in last year that I mentioned before season started.  I noticed he was starting on defense, will be a junior this year, heck of a QB.

Returning 19 starters though SHOULD count for something, thoughts?

Lionheart88

youhavenoidea

HeberFan

Quote from: Air Raider on March 27, 2019, 10:13:46 am
What are the thoughts on Greenbrier?  I watched them play their regular season game against LRCA and then drove over and watched the last game against Vilonia. 

It looks like they are only losing 3 starters total 2 from offense and 1 defense?   One being the QB but they will fill that spot very easily with the kid that transferred in last year that I mentioned before season started.  I noticed he was starting on defense, will be a junior this year, heck of a QB.

If G really does return 19 starters, look out!

incogneto

Quote from: HeberFan on March 28, 2019, 12:25:45 pm
Not sure how scary that is unless they find some speed.  That team was really slow. 

HeberFan

Experience can overcome speed in many cases... just gotta be in the right place and the right time. It's like Wayne Gretzky always said... since he was never very fast, he had to figure where the puck was going to be, and meet it there.

Air Raider

Quote from: HeberFan on March 28, 2019, 12:25:45 pm

I ended up at a baseball tournament this weekend and talked to a fellow that has a grandson that will be a senior.  He confirmed they will only be losing 3 starters.  Said they had a couple of sophs starting and several sophs that were rotated in.  He said at one point during the LRC playoff game they had 5 or 6 sophs on the field on defense.

His comment was it is a heck of a bunch of kids returning and tremendous potential, but we don't have a QB.  Hopefully I made him feel a little better :) He knew the Collins kid started on defense but didn't know he was a QB too. I filled him in and told him they'll be crazy if they don't move him back offense then.  I've seen film of the kid and he can flat out play.

I didn't notice the team being slow, i watched the first game against LRC and then came back and watched the Vilonia game cause I have a buddy who has a son playing there, and they seem to have some decent speed. 

purpleswag

Yeah. Greenbrier will win state...unless they have to play anyone from the east then it's gangbusters

Air Raider

Not sure how far they'll go but I can see them being pretty good.

Too hard to compete in that classification with LRC and PA being able to cherry pick players, easy to win with 'select' teams.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Air Raider on April 05, 2019, 08:31:44 am
Not sure how far they'll go but I can see them being pretty good.

Too hard to compete in that classification with LRC and PA being able to cherry pick players, easy to win with 'select' teams.
Either that, or your team sucks and you just are a person that makes excuses.

Hogman2018

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on April 08, 2019, 10:07:49 pm
YAWN!!!!

Air Raider

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on April 08, 2019, 10:07:49 pm

LOL such a great post.

I live in Cabot, so I fully understand the impact of having a good coach. And one that is well outdated...

On the other hand, if you don't think that being able to have a select group of players versus whoever happens to live in your district is an advantage, you are fairly out of touch with reality.

Hogman2018

Quote from: Air Raider on April 09, 2019, 06:14:54 pm
LOL such a great post.

I live in Cabot, so I fully understand the impact of having a good coach. And one that is well outdated...

On the other hand, if you don't think that being able to have a select group of players versus whoever happens to live in your district is an advantage, you are fairly out of touch with reality.
Raider give it up you can't argue with stupidity!!Private schools will never admit they have an advantage you might as well be talking to a wall

#1 Hog fan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on February 19, 2019, 10:00:38 pm
May want to go get swabbed. I think you may have the flu.  :)
If I have that than a lot of people have a cold because people are saying magnolia and white hall :-X

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: #1 Hog fan on April 27, 2019, 09:57:45 am
If I have that than a lot of people have a cold because people are saying magnolia and white hall :-X

I mean it was going around and was highly contagious. I hope they prove me wrong. Except White Hall - they can win all the other games as long as they lose to Maumelle. Same goes for everyone else.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Air Raider on April 09, 2019, 06:14:54 pm
LOL such a great post.

There are literally hundreds of posts on this board on this topic, many of which admit that there are advantages that private schools have. I'm not going to add to them here.

Air Raider

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on May 03, 2019, 08:17:38 am
There are literally hundreds of posts on this board on this topic, many of which admit that there are advantages that private schools have. I'm not going to add to them here.

No point in it. It's just a fact that when you can pull kids from wherever you have a huge advantage.  Does a private school always win?  No, plenty of examples of that.  Some of them have great coaches too, I'm a huge fan of Kevin Kelly. I consider him one of the best coaches in high school football.

To stay on topic though, no I wasn't necessarily saying that Greenbrier would win it all, I just know they have a load of players returning. That will amount to something and I do know that they could potentially have one of the best QBs if they move that kid back on the other side of the ball.

JacketFan

Not sure about 2019, but in 5a football in 2020, I say Brookland will win it all.  Could not help myself guys, Go Bearkats

Jwolf12

Quote from: JacketFan on May 14, 2019, 04:16:43 pm
Not sure about 2019, but in 5a football in 2020, I say Brookland will win it all.  Could not help myself guys, Go Bearkats

10/10 for the optimism. I would love to see them eventually compete on the football field

The_Pioneer

They ought to be happy just to win all of their Greene County games for this coming season. 

bigchief72455

Quote from: The_Pioneer on May 14, 2019, 09:11:29 pm
They ought to be happy just to win all of their Greene County games for this coming season.
The Battle for the Basement just got more competitive.

x14113

Quote from: Air Raider on March 27, 2019, 10:13:46 am

A certain football team off Exit 57 is trying to use the same argument.

I wonder what will become of them if they don't turn the corner...?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas