• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A dose of reality

Started by JessieP, November 25, 2018, 09:51:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JessieP

November 25, 2018, 09:51:55 am Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 10:16:29 am by JessieP
By chance did anyone see the highlights of the Mater Dei vs St John Bosco game? It was the Nations top ranked team against the Nations 3rd ranked team. It featured 7 Top 10 skill players on offense, not lineman skill players. The attendance was 14,000. Mater Dei defeated IMG earlier this year, Bosco is an offensive powerhouse. Can you imagine the score? It was 17-13 Mater Dei. Now it was for the CIF (California) Private school Championship (Those weirdos acknowledge it's unfair for private schools to compete against public schools) but that's not my point. My point is that they play defense. Yes, outside our walls defense is still being taught. Those blue state kids that want to play at the next level are instructed that scoring is simply half the game, stopping the other team is the other half.

We, as a die hard football state, should take no pride if our championship produces a game that combines for triple digit points.

South 45

Good Lord...I see eye to eye with JesseP and a bunch of Californians...What's the temperature in he'll today?!?!?
:D :D ;D :D :D

JacketFan

Quote from: South 45 on November 25, 2018, 10:50:06 am
Good Lord...I see eye to eye with JesseP and a bunch of Californians...What's the temperature in he'll today?!?!?
;D ;D Ditto, defense trumps offense always, I would rather watch a 10-7 game any day

JessieP

Quote from: South 45 on November 25, 2018, 10:50:06 am

It's raining cats and dogs South. Now let's both enjoy a nice Kale and Soy salad and go hug some trees, lol.

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on November 25, 2018, 09:51:55 am
By chance did anyone see the highlights of the Mater Dei vs St John Bosco game? It was the Nations top ranked team against the Nations 3rd ranked team. It featured 7 Top 10 skill players on offense, not lineman skill players. The attendance was 14,000. Mater Dei defeated IMG earlier this year, Bosco is an offensive powerhouse. Can you imagine the score? It was 17-13 Mater Dei. Now it was for the CIF (California) Private school Championship (Those weirdos acknowledge it's unfair for private schools to compete against public schools) but that's not my point. My point is that they play defense. Yes, outside our walls defense is still being taught. Those blue state kids that want to play at the next level are instructed that scoring is simply half the game, stopping the other team is the other half.

We, as a die hard football state, should take no pride if our championship produces a game that combines for triple digit points.

Its not complicated IMO; just a numbers game. Arkansas numbers are small and most talent gets allocated to offense. Result is that any sophisticated, multi-dimensional, read offense-type scheme will shred a defense with a lot of weak spots. Large schools in large states have "players" in all positions both offense and defense so the D can compete

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on November 25, 2018, 01:32:04 pm
Its not complicated IMO; just a numbers game. Arkansas numbers are small and most talent gets allocated to offense. Result is that any sophisticated, multi-dimensional, read offense-type scheme will shred a defense with a lot of weak spots. Large schools in large states have "players" in all positions both offense and defense so the D can compete

Yes, I think that is a very large part of it. And it's not apples to apples. Southern California has a drawing pool of 17 million so a lot of teams are loaded with 6'5 studs. But to an extent I do feel that some teams here lean a little to hard on offense.

OB11

Quote from: JessieP on November 25, 2018, 09:51:55 am

The only problem with your post is that Arkansas is no longer a die hard football state IMO. The state has been producing top notch basketball talent (boys and girls) and has been leaning towards being a basketball state for several years now.

JessieP

Quote from: OB11 on November 26, 2018, 02:59:01 pm
The only problem with your post is that Arkansas is no longer a die hard football state IMO. The state has been producing top notch basketball talent (boys and girls) and has been leaning towards being a basketball state for several years now.

True. Arkansas high school football has dropped dramatically in the talent pool rankings over the past decade. 247 sports had it at 43rd, down from 21st. Basketball has jumped to 19th. I wonder what caused the tailspin?

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on November 26, 2018, 03:16:22 pm
True. Arkansas high school football has dropped dramatically in the talent pool rankings over the past decade. 247 sports had it at 43rd, down from 21st. Basketball has jumped to 19th. I wonder what caused the tailspin?

Dang, basketball state, sometimes I am glad to be old  ;D

JessieP

Quote from: Overdahill on November 27, 2018, 01:54:07 pm
Dang, basketball state, sometimes I am glad to be old  ;D

Maybe this next summer a few of us can get together and play some hoops. I can picture us now, shorts 16 inches above the knee, knee high white socks with 2 inch color stripes at the top, high-top Converse Chuck Taylors and the smell of Ben-Gay filling the gym. I hear Maynard is deadly with the underhand free throws.

Overdahill

Quote from: JessieP on November 27, 2018, 02:14:37 pm
Maybe this next summer a few of us can get together and play some hoops. I can picture us now, shorts 16 inches above the knee, knee high white socks with 2 inch color stripes at the top, high-top Converse Chuck Taylors and the smell of Ben-Gay filling the gym. I hear Maynard is deadly with the underhand free throws.

the same Maynard that starred in White Men Can't Jump?

Overdahill

I would foul out of games b4 halftime in the day....never could turn off the football season

Maynard G Krebs

Modesty demands I not wear short shorts.

South 45

I want to run the clock....

JessieP

Quote from: South 45 on November 27, 2018, 03:00:55 pm
I want to run the clock....

Clock? The only clock needed would be for the medic checking heart rates. The games would be to 15, by 1's. Loser takes out. Oops, this is the new pc America, let me rephrase. The team that scored last will hand over the ball and play defense.

Overdahill

November 28, 2018, 09:09:33 am #15 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 09:16:15 am by Overdahill
Quote from: JessieP on November 27, 2018, 04:59:16 pm
Clock? The only clock needed would be for the medic checking heart rates. The games would be to 15, by 1's. Loser takes out. Oops, this is the new pc America, let me rephrase. The team that scored last will hand over the ball and play defense. ???

errr, sorry Jess, its a new era and we don't play defense no mo :D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas