• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2018-2019

Started by beach bum, November 07, 2018, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on December 08, 2018, 07:39:42 pm
It should have essentially been a home game for Seton Hall considering their campus is only 17 miles from MSG..... however when that guy made the half court shot to send it to OT you saw how well the Kentucky fan base travels and is national when 90% of the crowd was UK fans going nuts in excitement lol.

The two times I have seen us play Kentucky at the Bud there is about 500-600 Kentucky fans there. They are national fans and rabid.
They do travel well

DerekOxford

20-11 (10-8) would probably have Hogs in, depending on what they do in Nashville.

I bet a 22-12 Hog team would be a 9 or 10 seed. Maybe an 8 depending on what the bubble looks like.

Based on what they had to replace, would be terrific. And who knows, maybe they will make up for this loss by winning at Texas Tech or winning a couple of league games that they weren't supposed to. 22-9 wouldn't shock me.

bdubyab60

I wouldn't predict 20 wins. This is a wait and see year and has been since the start. There's already people saying wait til the 2020 recruits get in with this group.

There will be plenty of games like this with this group. No way around that. This is mainly a group of 4 year players that are going to have to develope and gel. Our bench doesn't produce in a consistent basis. Gafford is a beast but he's not unstoppable. 60% is not going to cut it at the line, it has to get better.

Every time we have stepped up in competition this year it's its been a 50/50 game pretty much. We are 1-2 in those games. Hoping we turn that around.

High Voltage

And the meltdown begins. This team is young and inexperienced. They are not a threat in my opinion. I did think we had the talent to lose only one noncon game. It looks like they are not mentally tough. MA has never been just a great floor coach as well. My question is, how many years does it take to rebuild. We as Hog fans keep saying wait until next year.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: High Voltage on December 09, 2018, 10:58:43 am
And the meltdown begins. This team is young and inexperienced. They are not a threat in my opinion. I did think we had the talent to lose only one noncon game. It looks like they are not mentally tough. MA has never been just a great floor coach as well. My question is, how many years does it take to rebuild. We as Hog fans keep saying wait until next year.

This is what I keep wondering.....

beach bum

Quote from: High Voltage on December 09, 2018, 10:58:43 am

I'd say we are past rebuilding when we have made 3 of the last 4 March Madness's ..... Outside of the blue blood programs, most would take that. The thing is getting to the second weekend every once in a while is the next step. People have to remember that in basketball there are 300+ teams unlike 130 ish for football. Getting to the last 8 or 16 teams is a big deal. That's the next step. We are obviously way past rebuild. It's about not going backward now, and getting to the sweet 16 or elite 8. I can live with every 3 of 4 years making the NCAA tourney as long as we do something there from time to time. Unlike, 1st round exits.

beach bum

Quote from: DerekOxford on December 08, 2018, 10:16:32 pm
20-11 (10-8) would probably have Hogs in, depending on what they do in Nashville.

I bet a 22-12 Hog team would be a 9 or 10 seed. Maybe an 8 depending on what the bubble looks like.

Based on what they had to replace, would be terrific. And who knows, maybe they will make up for this loss by winning at Texas Tech or winning a couple of league games that they weren't supposed to. 22-9 wouldn't shock me.

I worry about our SOS out of conference this year. I think it will take a 10-8 record as you predicted to get in cause 9-9 with the SEC not quite at last years level probably will not get us in. It may even take 11-7 if we lose another non conference outside of Texas Tech. Like bdubya 60 said in another post. I am not getting my hopes up until its February and we have a legit shot. Until then I don't want the let down.

bdubyab60

I kind of predicted NIT this year. Unless the wheels fall off I can still see that and possibly getting in the tourney.

At some point though there has to be a run in the tourney an SEC title or something. Just getting in is not going to cut it forever.

Gafford more than likely turns pro after this year. Leaving another huge hole for MA to fill. Wait until we get this guy or that guy isn't going to cut it either.

MA is stubborn to a fault. Today's rules aren't built for his style. Just when WKU was about to hit the wall they get a free throw stoppage, a timeout and then a media timeout. We were unable to play around that and put the game away. But that's today's game.

And just once draw up a play to get a good shot. We were lucky the kid stepped out to give Gafford a last shot.

bulldoghistorian

No tv for tonight's game in LR, radio only. I won't be able to listen.

bdubyab60

Probably best not to right now. Losing to a 3-6 team.

beach bum

December 15, 2018, 08:40:51 pm #60 Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:43:20 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 15, 2018, 08:33:18 pm
Probably best not to right now. Losing to a 3-6 team.

Gafford and Bailey have played horrendous two games in a row now. If not for Isiah Joe we would have lost by double digits last game to WKU and we would be down by at least 8 tonight without him. He is the only person who can consistently make a shot. The only one....

bdubyab60

Yeah this one was a lot closer than the score looks. Just glad to get a win. I'm still in the NIT and bubble bus after watching some other SEC teams today

bdubyab60

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 19, 2018, 08:19:32 pm
Struggling early

This is hideous to watch.... Georgia Tech is not even playing that good either and they are smoking us early. Again, if Isiah Joe is not scoring we can't score at all and he is not getting his shots to fall. Again, nothing from Bailey or Gafford for the third night in row.

beach bum

Just like that.... Joe gets us back in it.

bdubyab60

And back out and back in but to late I believe

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 19, 2018, 10:00:04 pm
And back out and back in but to late I believe

Ga Tech just lost to Gardner Webb in their last game.... If we play like this the rest of the way out we probably finish in the 11th or 12th spot in the SEC. Anyone can come in our place and win is the sad thing.

bdubyab60

I can't figure out why Gafford is playing over the top and outside of his man on defense and allows his man has a straight lane to the basket.

This really worries me for SEC play though. We haven't played well at home.

This right at a .500 ball team. Ive seen nothing to lead me to believe otherwise. 1-3 against major conferences. Yeah all close games, still losses though.

Youth is an issue. That's MAs fault for not balancing the roster to have some senior leadership.

Positive, team never quits. Hopefully we start to possibly win some of these close games

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on December 19, 2018, 10:06:30 pm

Ga Tech just lost to Gardner Webb in their last game.... If we play like this the rest of the way out we probably finish in the 11th or 12th spot in the SEC. Anyone can come in our place and win is the sad thing.
Im with you

bulldoghistorian

Back to back losses at home, definitely a rarity!

bdubyab60

Yes it is.

There were a lot of folks though, just talking to in general. On sites and out in public. That early on man this team may be Anderson's best team. I haven't seen that yet.

Everyone was cheering about this class in another site. That it was MAs highest ranked. We signed like 6 or 8 players. I wasn't overly impressed and got blasted for stating that it was ranked that high because or the number we took. Many teams ahead of us with fewer players. I think only one player in the top 100, he doesn't touch the floor hardly. Still some good players though.

There are old issues that still come up and it's the same with all MA teams.

1. Once the game is slowed down we are in for a fight. We don't have leadership this year unlike teams past to bail us out.

2. We have a bunch of athletes, not basketball players. Gafford is a beast because of his athleticism but still needs work offensively. If he ain't dunking he's not scoring consistently. Joe is a ball player, our best all around. Everyone else looks like an athlete playing ball.

3. The press has been neutralized for years now. MA still has not adjusted. GT looked fresher than us throughout the game.

4. Poor substitution patterns. We will be in a run and MA will pull hot hands and put in a wrought without a consistent scoring threat in a heartbeat.

5. As many close games as we been in yiu would think MA would be a better game manager. No go to this year.

6. Still no answer for a zone defense. If 3s are falling, got us back in the game, we are ok. If not there is no offensive flow at all.

There are more but these are hallmarks of an MA coached team. He refuses to change the slightest thing.

As I said we are 1-3 against out "better" competition. All close games so we are competitive. We usually are. That's not my issue.

We can spin this anyway you want to. Here we are year 8. With the youngest team in all of college basketball. Due to MA being unable to build a balanced roster, most coaches have this done by year 2-4. Basketball is easier to turn over players as it only takes one or two to make a difference. Zero conference titles and never really a threat to win it except for one year if memory serves. Yeah 3 of 4 in the tourney but it's still 3 out of 8 to me. MA chose to keep what he had when he got here instead of actually rebuilding the roster. Never passed the second round though. We can somewhat claim we almost did once. Not a single top 20 finish.

MA has ran a solid middling clean program. But that's not my expectations and I've posted them before.

DerekOxford

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 20, 2018, 06:44:59 am
Yes it is.

There were a lot of folks though, just talking to in general. On sites and out in public. That early on man this team may be Anderson's best team. I haven't seen that yet.

Everyone was cheering about this class in another site. That it was MAs highest ranked. We signed like 6 or 8 players. I wasn't overly impressed and got blasted for stating that it was ranked that high because or the number we took. Many teams ahead of us with fewer players. I think only one player in the top 100, he doesn't touch the floor hardly. Still some good players though.

There are old issues that still come up and it's the same with all MA teams.

1. Once the game is slowed down we are in for a fight. We don't have leadership this year unlike teams past to bail us out.

2. We have a bunch of athletes, not basketball players. Gafford is a beast because of his athleticism but still needs work offensively. If he ain't dunking he's not scoring consistently. Joe is a ball player, our best all around. Everyone else looks like an athlete playing ball.

3. The press has been neutralized for years now. MA still has not adjusted. GT looked fresher than us throughout the game.

4. Poor substitution patterns. We will be in a run and MA will pull hot hands and put in a wrought without a consistent scoring threat in a heartbeat.

5. As many close games as we been in yiu would think MA would be a better game manager. No go to this year.

6. Still no answer for a zone defense. If 3s are falling, got us back in the game, we are ok. If not there is no offensive flow at all.

There are more but these are hallmarks of an MA coached team. He refuses to change the slightest thing.

As I said we are 1-3 against out "better" competition. All close games so we are competitive. We usually are. That's not my issue.

We can spin this anyway you want to. Here we are year 8. With the youngest team in all of college basketball. Due to MA being unable to build a balanced roster, most coaches have this done by year 2-4. Basketball is easier to turn over players as it only takes one or two to make a difference. Zero conference titles and never really a threat to win it except for one year if memory serves. Yeah 3 of 4 in the tourney but it's still 3 out of 8 to me. MA chose to keep what he had when he got here instead of actually rebuilding the roster. Never passed the second round though. We can somewhat claim we almost did once. Not a single top 20 finish.

MA has ran a solid middling clean program. But that's not my expectations and I've posted them before.

Can't really disagree with anything you said. Fans expectations for what Mike would accomplish back in 2011 versus what has happened, there's really no way to spin it other than it's been disappointing.

That being said, I'll give them a chance to turn it around. Don't lose the last two non-cons, get off to a good start in SEC play and maybe try and pull an upset down in Lubbock and these two games would be forgotten.

beach bum

December 22, 2018, 01:17:07 pm #72 Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:18:55 pm by beach bum
Texas State up 19-6 early on us..... Yes, Texas State

beach bum

Lots of steals lead to us getting easy buckets and taking a little lead into the half

bdubyab60

Didn't watch but looks like we squeaked that out

bdubyab60

Struggling again. We literally have 3 1/2 basketball players and the rest are just athletes. One series looked like some per wee kids throwing up shots

bdubyab60

Trojanbird

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 28, 2018, 07:31:20 pm
Struggling again. We literally have 3 1/2 basketball players and the rest are just athletes. One series looked like some per wee kids throwing up shots
Athletes have to be coached in order to be good/great team players!  A good athlete without out coaching is just a player that never reaches their potential!  My question has always been -- Can Anderson coach good athletes and turn them into great athletes???

bulldoghistorian

beach bum

Hogs 73 Aggies 71

10-3 (1-0, SEC)

Free throws almost let them take this, and they will cost us probably 2 SEC wins at this rate.

Mason Jones 3 pointers in the 2nd half were the difference.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: beach bum on January 05, 2019, 07:06:10 pm
Hogs 73 Aggies 71

10-3 (1-0, SEC)

Free throws almost let them take this, and they will cost us probably 2 SEC wins at this rate.

Mason Jones 3 pointers in the 2nd half were the difference.
+1

bdubyab60

Trojanbird

Just don't understand why we can't shoot free throws!

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 05, 2019, 10:56:00 pm
Just don't understand why we can't shoot free throws!
I don't either! Almost cost us the game!

bdubyab60

We are what we are. FTs will more than likely cost us a few games. Especially against better opponents

Lumberjackfan1978

Gotta hit those free throws. Practice

DerekOxford

Have to beat LSU today or it could get really ugly. At Tennessee, at Ole Miss and at Texas Tech 3 of the next 4 after tonight.

beach bum

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 12, 2019, 10:38:26 am
Have to beat LSU today or it could get really ugly. At Tennessee, at Ole Miss and at Texas Tech 3 of the next 4 after tonight.

Ole Miss is so improved its probably now the toughest stretch in the schedule by a long shot.... Tennessee and Texas Tech are for real so we got no shot at their places. If we lose tonight you are right we could easily end up dropping 6 out 7 or something like that.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: DerekOxford on January 12, 2019, 10:38:26 am
No doubt!

beach bum

Down 12 with less than 10 minutes left and we send it to OT ..... We got to stop waiting until the end to finally play. Gafford has been a monster this half.

beach bum

Lose in OT to go to 10-5 (1-2 SEC)

Look at the schedule and we'll probably be 11-8 (2-4 SEC) in two weeks.....   :-X

bulldoghistorian

Love the effort to get it to OT, but the inability to make shots, especially freethrows, is killing us! Fixing to turn into a long season!

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on January 12, 2019, 07:21:24 pm

Look at the schedule and we'll probably be 11-8 (2-4 SEC) in two weeks.....   :-X
It's kindly looking that way

bulldoghistorian

We have to be the worst free throw shooting team in college basketball! No confidence! Ridiculous!

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 12, 2019, 07:21:24 pm

And that's if we have some things go our way. Serious question to everyone or more of my opinion I guess. This to me really looks like MAs first losing season.

Free throw shooting and consistently are not going away and will continue to cost us games.

bdubyab60

And it's not like other teams aren't going to get better either folks

beach bum

January 12, 2019, 10:50:49 pm #96 Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 10:54:18 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 12, 2019, 10:41:26 pm
And that's if we have some things go our way. Serious question to everyone or more of my opinion I guess. This to me really looks like MAs first losing season.

Free throw shooting and consistently are not going away and will continue to cost us games.

You look to be correct cause Texas Tech we are going to get wallopped so that means in total we will finish 9-4 in the non conference. That means we must go 7-11 in SEC play to avoid that and be 16-15 headed to the SEC tourney where a first game loss would finish us 16-16. I can't see us finishing 7-11 right now so that looks to be headed that way. Right now this is a 4 to 6 win SEC team that finishes between 11th-13th out of 14 SEC teams probably with what we are seeing as of now. Just getting to 7 or 8 conference wins seems like Mt Everest looking from the outside.

bdubyab60

I'm sure we will win a few but inconsistent play is not a recipe for winning

bdubyab60

Not to mention this team continues to hoist up threes at record pace and missing them. 3-16 no consistent deep threat. Yeah Joe and Mason have runs but they have horrible shot selection which leads to missing shots.

Just getting tired of watching the same thing year after year. Different teams, same mistakes and problems

Trojanbird

If I were the AD, MA would be in my office tomorrow for a talk!  Are we watching him do to basketball what Bielama did to football?  It appears to me that he is getting a little bit to comfortable, needs a little heat on his butt!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas