• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What’s up with Batesville?

Started by PA Dad, October 06, 2018, 12:04:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

This is a serious question.

I've always admired Batesville because of their consistency.  They are always the one or two seed from the East.  They are always a factor in November.  What happened this year?

Is the talent down?  Are injuries a factor?

The_Pioneer

Talent is certainly down.  We had a year like this about 10 years ago too.  That one had some chemistry issues but don't think that's the case this year.

RunninJoe

Young. Very young and inexperienced.

Rick Swines

Wynne and batesville lost so much last year. Both played brutal non con schedules. And both start about 50% sophomores. Wynne has a little more jr. High talent the past few years though.

Gravelbar

October 06, 2018, 08:36:04 am #4 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:37:38 am by Gravelbar
Quote from: PA Dad on October 06, 2018, 12:04:52 am

I've always admired Batesville because of their consistency.  They are always the one or two seed from the East.  They are always a factor in November.  What happened this year?

Batesville is very small and can't move the ball.  Defense is acceptable, but offense is really having trouble moving the ball..passing is a no go and one kid that can run...pretty easy to configure a game plan against them.  It doesn't appear the talent is there.  They had a chance last night to march down the field and get within field goal range for the win, but couldn't move the ball---Interception resulted in a score with seconds left....Bottom line--no playoffs for the Neers this year...On a good note though--there is some talent on the way--be patient--they're coming.

JessieP

I agree with everything posted so far except the talent coming up issue. The one thing no one is addressing is the total refusal to work on the passing game. Batesville never participates in summer 7 on 7's, ever. They don't practice it and when they need to turn to it the kid's are lost. The offensive line is tiny and teams are loading the box. The qb is very talented but he is outgunned. They have a bruising fast rb that is getting hit in the backfield on almost every carry. The ultimate head scratcher is that there are 2 kids on the sidelines that could address these issues immediately and the coach will not shuffle the deck, why not? Is it not Hail Mary time? There is serious murmuring in the stands about this, the rumor is that the coach doesn't like the 2 kids but that's hearsay so massive grain of salt on that one, the people in the stands are not always in the know. The only irrefutable fact is that moral is down.

RunninJoe

I think to say morale is down is a bit dramatic. Maybe it's down where you're sitting, but where I sit we realize that this year is a "rebuilding" year and there is a talented group of sophomores out there with some talented junior high kids coming. The boys are moving forward every week with good attitudes and if some fans can't get over having a down year then they need to give up on high school sports. This season in the 5A East is crazy! It's interesting to see different teams stepping up and having success. Batesville football will recover. Maybe not this year, but they will recover.

Hoghead2

It's a cycle every school goes through. Some schools stay stuck in the cycle. Batesville will be back.

The_Pioneer

That's true.  Not all of us can recruit and pay our free agents to turn it around quickly, right?

JessieP

Quote from: RunninJoe on October 06, 2018, 10:02:15 am
I think to say morale is down is a bit dramatic. Maybe it's down where you're sitting, but where I sit we realize that this year is a "rebuilding" year and there is a talented group of sophomores out there with some talented junior high kids coming. The boys are moving forward every week with good attitudes and if some fans can't get over having a down year then they need to give up on high school sports. This season in the 5A East is crazy! It's interesting to see different teams stepping up and having success. Batesville football will recover. Maybe not this year, but they will recover.

Dramatic? Really? I am as big a Pioneer supporter as anyone but please don't condescend by simply writing it off as a rebuilding year. 4 years ago the roster was 90 players, 3 years ago 81, 2 years ago 80, last year 75 and this year 61. Do you see a pattern? Over the past few years we have relied on talented sophomores and they helped us make the semi's year after year. Truly talented sophomores are not popcorn kernels, they contribute as sophomores. Over the past 3 years Batesville has been hit with a rash of players quitting, some were projected starters. I'm not going to include the few that run to Southside because the coach won't kiss their boo boo's. In years past we have been able to line up and cram it down people's throats. You can't do that with an O-line that's is smaller than the linebackers it faces, the D-line dwarf them. Batesville refuses to do summer 7 on 7's where the passing game and passing defense is refined. We have a talented qb but must lead the state in dropped passes. I hate to break it to you but the East has caught on, load the box and you beat Batesville. That is not a simple rebuilding cycle.

RunninJoe

Jessie, you talk so much crap it's hard to keep up. But until you've spent actual time with the team then keep the Debbie Downer talk to yourself. The team morale is fine. Like I said, if some fair weather fans (I'm looking at you, Jessie) are sweating, then they need to give up on high school sports. And for the record, every poster on here knows you're dramatic. Embrace it. It's who you are.

JacketFan

Ding, ding.  Got my popcorn out to watch this, lol.  ;D ;D

JessieP

October 06, 2018, 02:50:16 pm #12 Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:22:05 pm by JessieP
Quote from: RunninJoe on October 06, 2018, 12:08:52 pm
Jessie, you talk so much crap it's hard to keep up. But until you've spent actual time with the team then keep the Debbie Downer talk to yourself. The team morale is fine. Like I said, if some fair weather fans (I'm looking at you, Jessie) are sweating, then they need to give up on high school sports. And for the record, every poster on here knows you're dramatic. Embrace it. It's who you are.

Ok Running your mouth Joe, Riddle me this simpleton. Am I being dramatic about the sharp decline in roster? It's not opinion, it's fact. The not participating in 7 on 7's, is that me being dramatic? Going from 90 players to 61 in 4 years is a rebuilding cycle? Seeing as how you speak for everybody on this board, you claimed you do, explain Wynne. They are much younger, they had to replace 19 starters. They run a Flex Bone, an offense not geared towards the pass, and they do 7 on 7's. Wynne didn't have the number of players quit that we did. Wynne has righted the ship, they figured what the heck, let's go ahead and win some while we start over. What you call fair weathered I call a very loyal supporter who is concerned. I love my wife with all my heart but if a 7 inch hairy mole appeared overnight on her forehead I would tell her to get that looked at, Am I a fair weathered husband? So do you want to address the FACTS or simply wave your pom pom and celebrate 9 offensive touchdowns over 6 games?

beach bum

October 06, 2018, 08:26:22 pm #13 Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:28:11 pm by beach bum
Quote from: RunninJoe on October 06, 2018, 12:08:52 pm

You must have a tiny Timmy on the team and took this a little too personal? Or even worse a coach with an ego that has been hurt? If not you are taking the honest criticism way too seriously.

MDXPHD

Quote from: The_Pioneer on October 06, 2018, 11:35:28 am
That's true.  Not all of us can recruit and pay our free agents to turn it around quickly, right?

Pretty spot on here. While Batesville has money and the town is growing, the cost of acquiring the free agents is at an all time high. We've just fallen behind. I'm hoping we can land just one or two in the next year to help us out. Maybe a QB or TE. Maybe both!

Maynard G Krebs

There is an old saying about washing dirty laundry in public.  Batesville is above this. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 06, 2018, 08:52:56 pm
There is an old saying about washing dirty laundry in public.  Batesville is above this.

Sometimes Jessie will air out the laundry for everyone to see. Im not sure why, but it's entertaining sometimes. Seems like he gets along with you and the P.A. fans great though! Lol

RunninJoe

Quote from: beach bum on October 06, 2018, 08:26:22 pm

You must have a tiny Timmy on the team and took this a little too personal? Or even worse a coach with an ego that has been hurt? If not you are taking the honest criticism way too seriously.

Awwww, beach bum comes swooping in thinking he knows anything about me. You know what they say about making ASSumptions, right?

Batesville is having a down year. It's true. All of Jessie's rants and name-calling aren't going to change that. It happens. Be men and let it play out.

JessieP

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 06, 2018, 08:55:38 pm
Sometimes Jessie will air out the laundry for everyone to see. Im not sure why, but it's entertaining sometimes. Seems like he gets along with you and the P.A. fans great though! Lol

Air out laundry? What is this omerta? I can't speak for you but I never pricked my finger then rubbed out a burning card of St Christopher. I, As a die hard Pioneer fan. simply stated that in a world where football has become a passing game Batesville seems late to the party. I never questioned the ability or determination of our players or the acumen of our coaches. All I ever said was that things are tough right now and I think there is more to it than a once every 10 year down cycle. We are in fact losing players, why? The morale issue is based on fans frustration in the stands and what seems like a bigger issue. I mean PA fans have expressed frustration when PA loses, Wynne fans are critical when Wynne loses. When I say we have problems I'm a dramatic fair weathered fan?

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 06, 2018, 09:32:02 pm
Air out laundry? What is this omerta? I can't speak for you but I never pricked my finger then rubbed out a burning card of St Christopher. I, As a die hard Pioneer fan. simply stated that in a world where football has become a passing game Batesville seems late to the party. I never questioned the ability or determination of our players or the acumen of our coaches. All I ever said was that things are tough right now and I think there is more to it than a once every 10 year down cycle. We are in fact losing players, why? The morale issue is based on fans frustration in the stands and what seems like a bigger issue. I mean PA fans have expressed frustration when PA loses, Wynne fans are critical when Wynne loses. When I say we have problems I'm a dramatic fair weathered fan?

Well, yeah. That's what runninjpe says.

Take it easy big fella. We will make it through this year - just hang in there.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: PA Dad on October 06, 2018, 12:04:52 am

I was told that the good players in the area go to Southside now. Better fans and better facilities.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Ball Hawk on October 07, 2018, 12:22:19 pm
I was told that the good players in the area go to Southside now. Better fans and better facilities.

😂😂😂

The_Pioneer

Quote from: Ball Hawk on October 07, 2018, 12:22:19 pm

Gotta have better bait than that.

JessieP

Quote from: The_Pioneer on October 07, 2018, 01:23:44 pm

Thank you Pioneer. I mean talk about remedial. That one was the FF equivalent of "I got your nose", Infants will fall for it but anyone above age 4 just shakes their head in sympathy.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: The_Pioneer on October 07, 2018, 01:23:44 pm

No bait. Just telling everyone what I was told. The culture at Southside is supposedly better. Kids have fun and are actually winning over there. No idea if it's true or not but the wins thing is true this season.

RunninJoe

Kids are actually winning over there? Ok.

JessieP

Quote from: RunninJoe on October 07, 2018, 06:23:46 pm
Kids are actually winning over there? Ok.

Joe, Don't take the bait. He is a FF troll with zero knowledge of football. The boy knows his 2A basketball but beyond that he looks for takers. He wasn't told any such thing, no one talks to him. Don't respond and he'll go away.

Ball Hawk

Quote from: JessieP on October 07, 2018, 07:08:41 pm
Joe, Don't take the bait. He is a FF troll with zero knowledge of football. The boy knows his 2A basketball but beyond that he looks for takers. He wasn't told any such thing, no one talks to him. Don't respond and he'll go away.

It's really scary at how upset you get over a football message board. Let's talk about all the knowledge you've spit out over the past few games, "Batesville wins this game and we have turned the corner, if we lose, we suck".....

Stick to playing in the band Jessie.....heard you was a great flute player.

Yellowcake

Quote from: JessieP on October 07, 2018, 02:26:33 pm
Thank you Pioneer. I mean talk about remedial. That one was the FF equivalent of "I got your nose", Infants will fall for it but anyone above age 4 just shakes their head in sympathy.

Equivalent of "I got your nose".

Dudes, that is FUN-NEE!!

Grond

So, what is happening to Batesville football?

A) Down year. It happens. But I would not count them out of a playoff appearance just yet.

B) Some credit must be given to improvements in the programs at Blytheville and Nettleton. I fear that the coaches at these schools have 'figured some things out', and will be a challenge for Batesville (and Wynne) for a while.

Here's the curve ball........... :o

C) The Batesville Band. Not normally a topic on the Fearless Friday football boards, the Batesville Band has also been winning trophies in the past couple of years (band marching competitions). Given the dip in roster mentioned previously, it may be that some young men rather be a Starter in the Band for 4 years, as opposed to starting on the football team for 1 year.

The_Pioneer

Quote from: Grond on October 07, 2018, 11:16:42 pm

C) The Batesville Band. Not normally a topic on the Fearless Friday football boards, the Batesville Band has also been winning trophies in the past couple of years (band marching competitions). Given the dip in roster mentioned previously, it may be that some young men rather be a Starter in the Band for 4 years, as opposed to starting on the football team for 1 year.

Nah, we're just a school that poops out excellence.  For whatever reason, the only thing we aren't any good at is boys basketball.

SouthsideSouthernerDad

Quote from: The_Pioneer on October 08, 2018, 06:25:35 am
Nah, we're just a school that poops out excellence.  For whatever reason, the only thing we aren't any good at is boys basketball.
So that's what excellence smells like!  ;D

pioneer_fella

Batesville has been loaded with three year starters the past two years, which puts you in a position where the seniors haven't had any experience over the years. The offensive line has took some major hits over the summer with players moving away and quitting, which puts the talented QB and RB in a bad situation. The defense has been solid, it just seems they get deflated when the offense can't move the ball. I wouldn't say it's time to jump the ship, but definitely time to right the sail.

NEASPORTSFAN

October 12, 2018, 08:26:44 am #33 Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:40:53 am by NEASPORTSFAN
Quote from: Ball Hawk on October 07, 2018, 06:19:00 pm
No bait. Just telling everyone what I was told. The culture at Southside is supposedly better. Kids have fun and are actually winning over there. No idea if it's true or not but the wins thing is true this season.

If you call winning beating Cave City and getting a trophy for it....then yeah....but if you are talking about beating the mighty lonoke jackrabbits or heber springs panthers then no......give it a rest. I mean, this may be the worst batesville team in two decades, and supposed to be the best southside team ever, and the JV score was 40-0 Batesville.

Batesville is having its first true "down" year in a decade and everyone is losing their minds. The program is fine. One of the best coaching staffs in the state, a really good sophomore class, and most importantly linemen coming in the jr. high. Batesville will be just fine. Southside will too. But comparing the programs is assinine.

Overdahill

Granted I don't live in the area and have any firsthand knowledge but Batesville is the last program I would worry about long term. Those coaches and players know how to work and grind and win and their tradition will be back

Redwolves8526

Is Batesville losing kids to Southside?

pioneer_fella

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 12, 2018, 08:48:56 am
A few. Not many difference makers though.

RunninJoe

I'll agree with Pioneer fella. The kids that went to SS were no loss. The only one who had potential already quit. SS has come a long way and hopefully they'll have some consistency in being a 4A contender. Batesville is down but never out. Football fans are fickle. Both programs will be fine but they play on 2 different levels.

Gravelbar

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on October 12, 2018, 08:48:56 am
Yes and no...I think both schools enrollment is up--I think SSide's is up from around 1,700 to around 2,000 now and Batesville is hovering around 3,500...someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this, but as far as athletics....Southside has pulled a few out of Batesville for sure.  Someone can maybe shed some light as to why, but probably more playing time for some of them.

RabAlumni

Quote from: NEASPORTSFAN on October 12, 2018, 08:26:44 am
If you call winning beating Cave City and getting a trophy for it....then yeah....but if you are talking about beating the mighty lonoke jackrabbits or heber springs panthers then no......give it a rest. I mean, this may be the worst batesville team in two decades, and supposed to be the best southside team ever, and the JV score was 40-0 Batesville.

Batesville is having its first true "down" year in a decade and everyone is losing their minds. The program is fine. One of the best coaching staffs in the state, a really good sophomore class, and most importantly linemen coming in the jr. high. Batesville will be just fine. Southside will too. But comparing the programs is assinine.

Southside didn't beat Lonoke, Just saying!

NEASPORTSFAN

That's my point...they cant beat heber or lonoke

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: Gravelbar on October 12, 2018, 09:15:05 am
Yes and no...I think both schools enrollment is up--I think SSide's is up from around 1,700 to around 2,000 now and Batesville is hovering around 3,500...someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this, but as far as athletics....Southside has pulled a few out of Batesville for sure.  Someone can maybe shed some light as to why, but probably more playing time for some of them.

The kids they have "pulled" have not been contributors. Would not have played at batesville.

JessieP

Quote from: NEASPORTSFAN on October 12, 2018, 08:26:44 am

+100. That sums it us in a nutshell. In our downest of years we are still the Tog Dog in Independence County. That's also the bummer about this year, being better than Southside is setting the bar pretty low.

MikeDiesel™

Even in bad years, Batesville improves during the year. That's always been a frustration about getting to play them later in the year. It's a team that always improves as the year goes on. Definitely well coached.

NEASPORTSFAN

Proof in the pudding tonight. Wynne had 31 at half, and didn't score in the second half. Coaching and adjustments.

JacketFan

Quote from: NEASPORTSFAN on October 12, 2018, 10:13:25 pm
Proof in the pudding tonight. Wynne had 31 at half, and didn't score in the second half. Coaching and adjustments.
Well said, Wynne was definitely out coached tonite, it's was painfully apparent Mr. King done his homework and executed a good game plan, congrats Pioneers on a good win

PA Dad

Quote from: JacketFan on October 12, 2018, 10:48:18 pm
Well said, Wynne was definitely out coached tonite, it's was painfully apparent Mr. King done his homework and executed a good game plan, congrats Pioneers on a good win

Classy post.

CIA

Talent, talent and talent.  It happens at times and the well is dry for now.  It will pick back up.  Plus there has been some turnover in coaching and there is a chemistry that was lost there as well. 
All the issues will work themselves out. 

RunninJoe

Youth, youth, youth. They're learning and getting better every week. The retirement of Stu Smith has been hard to get used to but the boys seem to really click well with the new, young coaches on the staff. The Pioneers are looking better every week.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas