Welcome to FearlessFriday.com! Today is Saturday, June 23rd, 2018.
New 2018 Football Schedules are out
FearlessFriday
Order your 2018 Basketball Finals DVD today
Spring Football coming up

Author Topic: New shot clock rule  (Read 1742 times)

Offline BannerMountainMan

• Starter
  • USA
New shot clock rule
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:24:04 am »
35 seconds for tourney, probably go to regular season the year after. Looks like the stalling days are over

Offline thebigman3

• 2nd String
  • Fearless Friday--The Online Home of Arkansas High School Sports!
Re: New shot clock rule
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 06:45:00 pm »
I donít believe it

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:04:18 pm »
35 seconds for tourney, probably go to regular season the year after. Looks like the stalling days are over

So we don't have to watch basketball anymore that looks like its 1950 still? Wow, they did figure out it is almost 2020 after all and to get with the times....

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:27 am »
What's sad is there are still coaches that don't want a shot clock.  Joystick coaches

Offline Flobbito

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:01:22 am »
This will be a nightmare, at least at first, too many schools have trouble keeping up with the game clock and all of the other information on the scoreboard, adding a shot clock will be a chore for many schools, IMO.  BUT, I am glad to see it coming too.

Offline thebigman3

• 2nd String
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 11:15:24 am »
I wanna know where you found it.

Offline Informant

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 11:56:45 am »
The object of the game is to win correct?  Why is stalling so hated? With the addition of the shot clock, you will see less and less well coached teams.  So now how do you all feel about paying $60,000 for an AAU style coach in your respective districts? 

I completely disagree with you have to "win playing real basketball."  Real basketball is dribbling, passing and shooting.  Having more points than the other team when the game is over.  Real basketball does not require a certain number of points or require a team to shoot it within a certain amount of time.  Shot clocks are used for entertainment value in college and pros.  High school basketball is not enterainment. 

Furthermore, the times now are AAU style, shoot, dunk, fancy dribble, only pass when it looks cool, i wanna be scouted.  The "times" isn't teaching anyone about how to play the game of basketball.  Thats why so many 1 and done players that are so great in high school are never heard from again once they meet players that actually know how to play the game. 

Im rambling i know.  But my point is this.  A shot clock will not solve your problems with stalling or playing "real basketball."  It will only give you something else to complain about.  Many games and championships were won by players knowing how to play the game and coaches doing what your tax dollars pay them to do. 

Last note... this is a 1A thread. If you don't like stalling, move to 5A.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:59:01 pm »
The object of the game is to win correct?  Why is stalling so hated? With the addition of the shot clock, you will see less and less well coached teams.  So now how do you all feel about paying $60,000 for an AAU style coach in your respective districts? 

I completely disagree with you have to "win playing real basketball."  Real basketball is dribbling, passing and shooting.  Having more points than the other team when the game is over.  Real basketball does not require a certain number of points or require a team to shoot it within a certain amount of time.  Shot clocks are used for entertainment value in college and pros.  High school basketball is not enterainment. 

Furthermore, the times now are AAU style, shoot, dunk, fancy dribble, only pass when it looks cool, i wanna be scouted.  The "times" isn't teaching anyone about how to play the game of basketball.  Thats why so many 1 and done players that are so great in high school are never heard from again once they meet players that actually know how to play the game. 

Im rambling i know.  But my point is this.  A shot clock will not solve your problems with stalling or playing "real basketball."  It will only give you something else to complain about.  Many games and championships were won by players knowing how to play the game and coaches doing what your tax dollars pay them to do. 

Last note... this is a 1A thread. If you don't like stalling, move to 5A.

Sir, yes sir  ::)

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 01:01:12 pm »
What's sad is there are still coaches that don't want a shot clock.  Joystick coaches

They still think its the 1950's and the movie Hoosiers... And they probably want you to pass the ball 5 times before you shoot too even if they have a wide open transition lay up.

Offline Informant

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
They still think its the 1950's and the movie Hoosiers... And they probably want you to pass the ball 5 times before you shoot too even if they have a wide open transition lay up.

You do not know anything about what you're talking about.

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 03:27:18 pm »
Yep see this all the time.  Hoosiers set basketball back 30 years for some coaches. 

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 03:32:45 pm »
Heard a coach yell 10 passes before you shoot this year.  Dumbest possible thing a coach can say.

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:10:17 pm »
Stalling is boring, but can be effective.  I don't see a ton of teams doing it. 
Losing a game because you're not good enough defensively to take the ball from the other team? 
So speed up the teenagers and make the schools hire a third person at the scorers table, just to please the fans.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

Offline thebigman3

• 2nd String
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 12:02:14 pm »
Iíve looked all over the Triple A rule book and rule changes and cannot find it.

Offline Oxford Cat

• Water Boy
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:21 pm »
Schools have been told that they can apply to use shot clocks during classics and tournaments. These applications must be submitted by September 1. Do you guys think that teams will be drawn to tournaments that use the shot clock or will they try to avoid them?

Offline footballfan-tastic

• Assistant Coach
  • I love Fearless Friday!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 02:33:51 pm »
Afraid I agree that the shot clock is an intrusion in the game.  I see posters on here talk about good coaching all the time. Coaching is using your kids to the best of their ability to figure your best way to win.  Shot clock takes that away. Now a basketball coach is forced to an up tempo still whether they like it or not.  It would be like telling football coaches you must go no huddle hurry up and pass at least 70% or the time.  Fans, and rules should not dictate strategies. IMO  The fun of the game is to see better coached, better prepared teams get those wins against superior talent because of hard work execution of a great game plan.

Offline WPWells

• Formerly 12th Man
  • Hall of Famer
  • Be strong in The Lord and never give up hope
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 02:48:21 pm »
It would be like telling football coaches you must go no huddle hurry up and pass at least 70% or the time.

How so? The lack of a shot clock is a way for less talented teams to try level the playing field. I, for one, am for the better team winning games...

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 02:53:58 pm »
The lack of a shot clock allows both teams, both coaches to give their kids the best chance to win and that's what the game is about. I you have better kids and a better plan with better execution you will win. You don't need to force the other team into playing your tempo by rule, if you want an up tempo pace then use full court pressure to keep the tempo upbeat and run the floor when you have the ball. It can be done with coaching and doesn't require a rule.

Offline Informant

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:24 pm »
How so? The lack of a shot clock is a way for less talented teams to try level the playing field. I, for one, am for the better team winning games...

Can you explain what you mean by "better team winning games"

Offline ZacAttack

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 05:37:45 pm »
Are you saying the "better team" is simply the most athletic team?  Maybe we should just let them run sprints and measure their vertical jump.  Why bother with all of this dribbling, passing, and defense to decide the better team.  I think the better team is the team that can execute a coach's game plan.   

Offline BannerMountainMan

• Starter
  • USA
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:22 pm »
The ones talking about making it an AAU game, it will be a 35 second shot clock in tournaments, so you might not be a better team but if you have a good game plan and run plays that get people open it could be an advantage, better some more athletic teams that are better will most likely get off a bad shot when it comes down to it. 

Offline Flobbito

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 08:32:06 am »
Schools have been told that they can apply to use shot clocks during classics and tournaments. These applications must be submitted by September 1. Do you guys think that teams will be drawn to tournaments that use the shot clock or will they try to avoid them?

I know that Quitman sent out some feelers to see if teams would be interested in participating in a shot clock tournament there, but I don't know what their response was.

Offline Backboard Shattered

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:51 am »
Heard a coach yell 10 passes before you shoot this year.  Dumbest possible thing a coach can say.
Well to be honest I think if he yelled 83 passes before you shoot it might be more dumberer

Offline Bigleague

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 11:58:32 am »
No kidding.  Can you believe we still only play with 10 players on the floor.  I mean that has been going on forever.   Letís put 20 out there.  Times are changing man

Online OlGuyWicker

• 2nd String
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 12:38:20 pm »
Maybe we should also lower the goals about a foot.  It is not fair when only tall and athletic people can dunk!!

Offline Bigleague

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »
I agree.   Thatís so 1950ís.   I say raise the goal.  20 feet

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 02:13:00 pm »
No kidding.  Can you believe we still only play with 10 players on the floor.  I mean that has been going on forever.   Letís put 20 out there.  Times are changing man

You guys are the ones being drama queens acting like this is as significant as making the goals 20 feet tall when over time this will prove to be a minor change that will only impact lazy coaches who don't want to improve their own players offensive skill sets and just hold onto the ball instead. Adding 20 players to the court is not the same as a shot clock and you know that which only proves you just are having a tough time swallowing the reality pill that this is headed to a court near you. 20 players on the court makes it an entire different game and you know it. The next time I go to a high school game without a shot clock I am going to count how many times a shot is taken after 35 seconds. I bet it is maybe once all game so what are you guys even complaining about cause it is barely even impacting what is already happening.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:20:45 pm by beach bum »

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 03:20:19 pm »
Maybe play less players at once 4 on 4.  Give more room to Jam it in the Hole!

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 03:56:12 pm »
It is amazing to me how many people do not want a shot clock.  Lot of joystick coaches out there I guess who want their players playing like robots.  30 second shot clock like the college game would be perfect.  Nobody cares about how great your set plays are coaches. 

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:46 pm »
Maybe play less players at once 4 on 4.  Give more room to Jam it in the Hole!

I almost choked, laughing. 😂😂

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 04:40:29 pm »
But 30-35 seconds doesn't allow enough time for each parent to yell "shoot it"!!!
Maybe 40 seconds

• Assistant Coach
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 10:06:13 pm »
You guys are the ones being drama queens acting like this is as significant as making the goals 20 feet tall when over time this will prove to be a minor change that will only impact lazy coaches who don't want to improve their own players offensive skill sets and just hold onto the ball instead. Adding 20 players to the court is not the same as a shot clock and you know that which only proves you just are having a tough time swallowing the reality pill that this is headed to a court near you. 20 players on the court makes it an entire different game and you know it. The next time I go to a high school game without a shot clock I am going to count how many times a shot is taken after 35 seconds. I bet it is maybe once all game so what are you guys even complaining about cause it is barely even impacting what is already happening.

You are entitled to want a shot clock so you as a fan can see a more fast paced game but in reality it has nothing to do with lazy coaches.  Got to teach same skills regardless.

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 09:41:20 am »
You are entitled to want a shot clock so you as a fan can see a more fast paced game but in reality it has nothing to do with lazy coaches.  Got to teach same skills regardless.
Nope.  Stick to football

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2018, 11:51:09 am »
I'm with the no shot clock crowd.  Some teams need every weapon they can get.

Offline beach bum

• Head Coach
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2018, 12:44:48 pm »
I'm with the no shot clock crowd.  Some teams need every weapon they can get.

Weapons as in they have no offensive weapons? So they just run away from the other team?

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:34 pm »
It is amazing to me how many people do not want a shot clock.  Lot of joystick coaches out there I guess who want their players playing like robots.  30 second shot clock like the college game would be perfect.  Nobody cares about how great your set plays are coaches.
And exactly how many wins do you have in your so far stellar career?? ;D ;D ::) ::)

Offline nuttinbuthogs

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2018, 04:27:44 pm »
Weapons as in they have no offensive weapons? So they just run away from the other team?

Weapons as in strategies.  Guys that cannot coach depend on superior talent because they have no answer to the opposition coaches strategies, so change the rules. Some very good coaches and teams over the years have made use of the ball control and delay game, some have won titles.  I quess they could not coach.

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:29 pm »
LOL

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 02:08:28 pm »
And exactly how many wins do you have in your so far stellar career?? ;D ;D ::) ::)
Oh I forgot if you aren't a coach you can't have an opinion.  If you would like to compare your coaching record to mine just send me a PM. 

Offline SackAttack

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 02:36:45 pm »
Oh I forgot if you aren't a coach you can't have an opinion.  If you would like to compare your coaching record to mine just send me a PM.
Youd just add to your loss column! Have a Sacktacular rest of your day

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 06:07:30 am »
Lets just compare on hear.  No need to PM.  I got 1983 wins

Offline SCHawg

• Water Boy
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 01:03:17 pm »
Lets just compare on hear.  No need to PM.  I got 1983 wins
With that spelling I'm guessing NOT

Offline Moonshiner

• Starter
  • Formerly luvthegame
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:37 pm »
[/quote

Do you Coach?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas