• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP(FRIDAY 7:00) Greenwood vs Pine Bluff

Started by Brian G, November 24, 2017, 09:22:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think wins and who do you want to win?

Think Greenwood / Want GW
44 (43.1%)
GW/PB
18 (17.6%)
PB/PB
33 (32.4%)
PB/GW
7 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: December 01, 2017, 10:43:19 pm

The Future

Quote from: maxswine on November 29, 2017, 07:55:19 am
If Greenwood wins and I come on here and say, "Congrats to Greenwood.  They caught lightening in a bottle this year."  Would any Greenwood fans be offended at that?

;D

I would be!
Dude lightning is freaking scary!!
Lol

zebrafan

Quote from: WC-soccer dad on November 29, 2017, 06:43:48 am
Trying to do a little research before the big game.  Do any of know if either team have linemen that go both ways?  I see it more in the smaller classifications but no so much in the 6A and 7A.
PB has no lineman going both ways this year, usually we have one or so go both ways.

High Voltage

If Greenwood wins and I come on here and say, "Congrats to Greenwood.  They caught lightening in a bottle this year."  Would any Greenwood fans be offended at that?

;D
Haha, nice!

pinebluffzebra09

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 28, 2017, 08:23:41 pm
I agree. He has done a great job over the years. I honestly believe that 2015 team was very special but ran into a PB team that might have been the best in the state overall. Sometimes I think if CRJ would have made a qb change in that championship game we might had a different outcome. But who's to question a coach of his caliber. High school football fans will be in for a real treat Friday night.
+1 I really agree with that one if you ask me

Pr8hd

;D

I would say, not to stand too close to CRJ because lightning has struck more times than not to fill the aforementioned bottle.

Besides, as most GW fans know, CRJ controls the weather - except last year he fell down on the job some weather wise.  ;)

Pr8hd

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 28, 2017, 08:23:41 pm
I honestly believe that 2015 team was very special but ran into a PB team that might have been the best in the state overall. Sometimes I think if CRJ would have made a qb change in that championship game we might had a different outcome.

I think PB made better adjustments at half, than GW did. I am not sure a QB change would have decided the outcome any better. Hales struggled some with his passes, but he had no time nor would have Noland I believe. Perhaps so just not real sure, but that was a very very good PB team. I would have liked to see Noland play more than a series though. I was proud GW played them so close because I had thought it might not be close at all.

Take nothing from PB, I too (like Future and some others) believe they were the best team in the state across all classifications that year.

AT

I forgot about Holt. I did know his name.

I'm just honestly curious to see this game played out. I know about Greenwood this year, but have no clue on PB, so I'll be interested to see how these two matchup.

Does Greenwood feel good that PB (by the sounds of it) is a running team and Greenwood's strength is their D-line?

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 29, 2017, 06:04:30 pm

I'm just honestly curious to see this game played out. I know about Greenwood this year, but have no clue on PB, so I'll be interested to see how these two matchup.

Does Greenwood feel good that PB (by the sounds of it) is a running team and Greenwood's strength is their D-line?
+1

Holt is one you better account for and is nicknamed the "Ice Cream Man" because of his back to back sweetest plays getting the team Yarnell's. He has made some spectacular catches and plays this year.

I think that the game will be won or lost on both sides of the trenches. I won't feel good about it until the final horn sounds and the scoreboard shows GW by at least 1 point over them. It certainly sets up as what we do best vs what they do best potentially. The 2013-2015 PB version, I think we got manhandled some in the trenches. Last year, maybe not so much and not sure what to expect this year.

I haven't seen too many teams that have been able to do that to this defensive front this year, but that doesn't mean Bolding and staff won't have a scheme to account for them better. GW's LB's have done a really good job filling the gaps....not huge guys but quick and sure tacklers. The secondary also supports the run defense well, maybe better than they play the pass at times. They are solid group though overall front to back and play well together/swarm to the ball. 

Also as RD mentioned, one of their best weapons is Ennis and his touchbacks. Forcing a team to go 80, especially after a GW score, puts pressure on the opposition. Ennis deserves more praise in his role in setting up the defensive success.

Pr8hd

Quote from: WC-soccer dad on November 29, 2017, 06:43:48 am
Trying to do a little research before the big game.  Do any of know if either team have linemen that go both ways?  I see it more in the smaller classifications but no so much in the 6A and 7A.

GW only has Womack and Webb that are used on jumbo packages I believe.  Although I think last week, they used them a little more.

GW used to have a lot more going both ways especially skill guys.

Mr_Deb

Good lord, could you guys spice up this dang thing or either have Eddie close it. Right now I don't know if this is a state title football thread or couples therapy... bit too much nice talking and not enough of that tradition yodel we're accustomed to hearing.

The self proclaimed kings of football are both in here sitting on pins and needles trying their darndest not to offend each other. 😂

Mr_Deb

Had this been Bennie and Earl this thing would've probably had 10,000 views already.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 29, 2017, 06:04:30 pm

The Z's offense isn't one dimensional not able to pound it like we have in the past. Our passing game is solid GW will get tested deep and will need to be able to cover both short and deep throws.

zebradynasty

I would like to hear from Russellville and West Memphis opinion on who they think will win. Since they've played both. I know both played Northside but that was so early in the season don't think it would be as accurate as someone who played within the last few weeks.

Mr_Deb

Pr8hd

Quote from: zebradynasty on November 29, 2017, 07:45:15 pm
I would like to hear from Russellville and West Memphis opinion on who they think will win. Since they've played both. I know both played Northside but that was so early in the season don't think it would be as accurate as someone who played within the last few weeks.

I don't think you can totally dismiss the NS game, but one thing about all the common opponents mentioned is that PB had the luxury of hosting all 3 teams. Conversely, GW hosted 2 of the 3 and played Russellville on the road. Of the 3 games, GW played the most complete game of the 3 opponents against WM. GW's game with Russ was very chippy and there were lots of penalties. NS forgot to get off the bus against GW.

I thought the WM game might be a contest when the Devils answered GW's first score, then the wheels fell off for them.

zebradynasty

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2017, 08:39:47 pm
I don't think you can totally dismiss the NS game, but one thing about all the opponents mentioned is that PB had the luxury of hosting all 3 teams. Conversely, GW hosted 2 of the 3 and played Russellville on the road. Of the 3 games, GW played the most complete game of the 3 opponents against WM. GW's game with Russ was very chippy and there were lots of penalties. NS forgot to get off the bus against GW.

I thought the WM game might be a contest when the Devils answered GW's first score, then the wheels fell off for them.

The reason I wanted to leave the NS game out was that was so early in the season and our offense was very inconsistent breaking in a new QB. The score was close but very deceiving. PB totally dominated NS they may have got in the red zone once and the touchdown was on a deep pass in which their WR pushed our DB (almost like UA vs. Mizzou) to catch the ball. The games later in the season were much more representative of our play.

PA Dad

These are both storied programs.  Both have great coaches.  Both have great programs.  Both have great traditions.  This game is as good as it gets.

I love to watch both teams.  I have no idea which team will win.   Both teams are champions in my book.  These are the best teams in 6A and the winner will definitely earn the title of champion.

rona

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2017, 12:46:09 pm
I think PB made better adjustments at half, than GW did. I am not sure a QB change would have decided the outcome any better. Hales struggled some with his passes, but he had no time nor would have Noland I believe. Perhaps so just not real sure, but that was a very very good PB team. I would have liked to see Noland play more than a series though. I was proud GW played them so close because I had thought it might not be close at all.

Take nothing from PB, I too (like Future and some others) believe they were the best team in the state across all classifications that year.

+1 This 2017 PB Team is very talented. Maybe not to level of 2015 and 2016 Teams, but
excellent players up front on both sides of Ball. Skill players abound. If Soph is QB along with soph RB The other 9 players are going to required to be have their best Game. The two Sophs are outstanding players, but they are sophomores. Cannot put a price on experience at this level. If PB can move the chains with some consistency they have a chance. Their defense must play consistent with their athletic ability and be smart. PB will bring hard nose
Aggressive Football.

Greenwood really has no major weaknesses. Has maybe their best defense ever. Their O is going to score in the blink of an eye. And has already been mentioned their kicking Game is a real Weapon. And that is a Major problem for PB.

I see Gwd. By at least 2 TDs.

I also agree that a Gwd. QB change maybe late 3rd Qtr. In 2015 might have helped. Also the same can be said in 2016 to utilize the toughness of HALES running against a very bad weather night and senior laden and well prepared Russellville Team. But Coach Jones and his Staff are very Professional at what they do - in the meantime the rest of us are pretty good at second guessing if it doesn't work out to our liking.

zebrafan

November 30, 2017, 12:35:28 am #118 Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 12:51:55 am by zebrafan
Quote from: rona on November 30, 2017, 12:25:25 am
+1 This 2017 PB Team is very talented. Maybe not to level of 2015 and 2016 Teams, but
excellent players up front on both sides of Ball. Skill players abound. If Soph is QB along with soph RB The other 9 players are going to required to be have their best Game. The two Sophs are outstanding players, but they are sophomores. Cannot put a price on experience at this level. If PB can move the chains with some consistency they have a chance. Their defense must play consistent with their athletic ability and be smart. PB will bring hard nose
Aggressive Football.

Greenwood really has no major weaknesses. Has maybe their best defense ever. Their O is going to score in the blink of an eye. And has already been mentioned their kicking Game is a real Weapon. And that is a Major problem for PB.

I see Gwd. By at least 2 TDs.

I also agree that a Gwd. QB change maybe late 3rd Qtr. In 2015 might have helped. Also the same can be said in 2016 to utilize the toughness of HALES running against a very bad weather night and senior laden and well prepared Russellville Team. But Coach Jones and his Staff are very Professional at what they do - in the meantime the rest of us are pretty good at second guessing if it doesn't work out to our liking.

The soph RB doesn't get awhole lot of carries...#4 is a junior and the main back.

rona

Wow. That kind of quality depth says a lot about the PB Program now and in the future. Looking forward to watching the matchups.

sportsguy80

I really think points will come at a premium during this game. Depending on the flow and big plays, I wouldn't be surprised on a low scoring game.

rona

I expect Turnovers and untimely penalties will impact scoring level. Seems to me that officials try to " let them play" in most Championship Games. But agree Big Plays will be the major facto by either Teams O or D at the end of the night.

PrivateLesson

Have you noticed the results of the Poll?   

PrivateLesson

I think whoever can score and gain control the last few minutes of the half and the first 3 minutes of the second half will win.  Quick strike before and after should seal the fate of who wins...IMO.   I hope it goes down to the wire.  I love close football games!

zebradynasty

Quote from: rona on November 30, 2017, 07:59:05 am
Wow. That kind of quality depth says a lot about the PB Program now and in the future. Looking forward to watching the matchups.

Actually, the current starting running back was the second team running back at the beginning of the season. The projected starter (also a Junior) went down with a shoulder injury in a preseason scrimmage game against Parkview. Both played some as sophomores was really looking forward to having both in the backfield this season but the injury has helped us develop some depth at RB next year we should be set at RB.   

Jethro

Looking forward to this game. I've watched film on both teams and seen Greenwood in person a few times. I look forward to seeing Greenwood's defense vs PB offense. This should be a great one all the way around regardless. Interesting match ups all across the field. I believe though that just like the last time, this might be a game with many unexpected twist and turns.

I do believe GW has the advantage in this one and has the more impressive team. But this is starting to flourish into a rivalry so things like that mean nothing.

The real question is will GW play GW football and not try to outsmart themselves. The last two times they got away from their brand. Even others noticed that. GW game plan last week was great and if they will do similar to that again I believe they could win this one by at least 2 scores.

GreenwoodBulldog13

RDâ„¢

Pr8hd

Quote from: PrivateLesson on November 30, 2017, 08:58:31 am
Have you noticed the results of the Poll?   

It basically says a majority believe GW will win and it is almost a complete toss up on who they want to actually win.

Do we have an electoral college here to determine the winner?

Baitshop

December 01, 2017, 08:19:38 am #129 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:22:11 am by Baitshop
DixiePrep's official analysis and prediction:

Pine Bluff has to score 28 + points to have a chance of winning.....

This year's Bulldog defense won't allow that to happen.....

UofG   28
PB     14

bulldogger15

Atta boy zebrfantasy, leave off Northside since you barely beat them and Greenwood throttled them. You striped donkeys will see soon enough who is better and why. Your sophomore QB is about to get blasted and he'll fall apart.

The Greenwood Bulldogs will start fast and finish strong. 3 TD victory for Coach Jones and his Bulldogs!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Baitshop on December 01, 2017, 08:19:38 am
DixiePrep's analysis:

Pine Bluff has to score 28 + points to have a chance of winning.....

This year's Bulldog defense won't allow that to happen.....

UofG   28
PB     14
Wow, Baitshop woke up and finally got his head right. Welcome back!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

ClutchFactor62

Bradshaw

This is a special match up!
Greenwood may have their best team and should be favored in my meaningless opinion. However, these teams always play great games and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go down to the wire.  I'll predict a Greenwood win by 14.
We should all enjoy tonight's match up because there is a decent chance it is the last time these two teams will be coached by these two great coaches. It is very possible one or both move on after this year. (I know that is always a possibility, but I'd be surprised if they are both there next year)

Pr8hd

Quote from: Bradshaw on December 01, 2017, 09:36:56 am
Greenwood may have their best team and should be favored in my meaningless opinion. However, these teams always play great games and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go down to the wire.  I'll predict a Greenwood win by 14.
We should all enjoy tonight's match up because there is a decent chance it is the last time these two teams will be coached by these two great coaches. It is very possible one or both move on after this year. (I know that is always a possibility, but I'd be surprised if they are both there next year)

Must be going on the Malzahn to Arkansas rumor and taking CRJ on staff, maybe ??

CRJ has college coaching experience and is definitely well connected in the high school coaching ranks. I have heard this scuttle all week, but also heard it when Malzahn first went to Auburn as well. 

If it did happen, it would be great for Arkansas football, but a dark day for the Bulldogs.

pinebluffzebra09

Quote from: Pr8hd on December 01, 2017, 08:52:49 am
Additional analysis and breakdown of the game tonight:

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20171201/football-greenwood-vs-pine-bluff-keys-to-game

Remember what I said about those LBs. That is gonna be the difference in the game. Best LB group in the state is wearing the stripes!!!!!
GoZs

Bradshaw

Quote from: Pr8hd on December 01, 2017, 09:43:44 am
Must be going on the Malzahn to Arkansas rumor and taking CRJ on staff, maybe ??

CRJ has college coaching experience and is definitely well connected in the high school coaching ranks. I have heard this scuttle all week, but also heard it when Malzahn first went to Auburn as well. 

If it did happen, it would be great for Arkansas football, but a dark day for the Bulldogs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Jones go college or out of state after this team, he is so well connected. He has turned down jobs in the past but this year may be a little different.
Coach Bolding has looked around a little in recent years and seems to be ready to leave PB. He is very well connected also.

Those of us who have enjoyed watching these two compete against each appreciate the jobs each have done and look forward to what may be their last match up.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Bradshaw on December 01, 2017, 09:36:56 am
+1

7AFBFAN

Defense wins championships. PB has a good defense. GW has a great one. I don't expect PB to score much and there is no way to keep GW from scoring if they execute. I think GW wins this one convincingly sending CRJ to bigger and better things.

zebrafan

Quote from: Bradshaw on December 01, 2017, 10:54:31 am
I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Jones go college or out of state after this team, he is so well connected. He has turned down jobs in the past but this year may be a little different.
Coach Bolding has looked around a little in recent years and seems to be ready to leave PB. He is very well connected also.

Those of us who have enjoyed watching these two compete against each appreciate the jobs each have done and look forward to what may be their last match up.
Jesus Terry! Where do you have both Chip Kelly's going???🤔

protegewill

Honestly how good are Greenwood's secondary and linebackers this year? I have read and heard a lot about every other aspect of their team except these two particular groups? Notwithstanding  the missing information on Greenwood's secondary and linebackers I think both teams seem to be pretty much even (minus poor execution and good luck) except the quarterback position where Greenwood's Noland appears to have more experience but does not have as much raw talent as Foots.

bulldogger15

Quote from: 7AFBFAN on December 01, 2017, 02:36:59 pm
Defense wins championships. PB has a good defense. GW has a great one. I don't expect PB to score much and there is no way to keep GW from scoring if they execute. I think GW wins this one convincingly sending CRJ to bigger and better things.
+1

bulldogger15

Quote from: pinebluffzebra09 on December 01, 2017, 10:19:10 am
Remember what I said about those LBs. That is gonna be the difference in the game. Best LB group in the state is wearing the stripes!!!!!
GoZs
Lololololololololololol

Your whole defense is going to get blasted. You'll need much more than the "best linebackers in the state".

Noland, Holt, Wood and Greenwood's dominate D will be the difference. Chemistry + Confidence + Execution = Bulldogs 6A State Championship!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

FootBallar21

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 29, 2017, 06:28:26 pm
GW only has Womack and Webb that are used on jumbo packages I believe.  Although I think last week, they used them a little more.

GW used to have a lot more going both ways especially skill guys.

Yeah last week ,  they had a defensive starter in the secondary , playing a lot more WR,  and they had Womack and maybe webb as well playing both ways,   they have pulled out all the stops and want to get those 3-4 kids on the field as much as they can go.     

Should be an exciting game, I won't be able to make it but will be watching it live on Fox.   

Bradshaw

Quote from: protegewill on December 01, 2017, 02:48:58 pm
Honestly how good are Greenwood's secondary and linebackers this year? I have read and heard a lot about every other aspect of their team except these two particular groups? Notwithstanding  the missing information on Greenwood's secondary and linebackers I think both teams seem to be pretty much even (minus poor execution and good luck) except the quarterback position where Greenwood's Noland appears to have more experience but does not have as much raw talent as Foots.

The Foots kid is good but to say he has more raw talent than Noland is quite a stretch!
I think Greenwood's secondary is faster than normal for them. They may give up some big plays due to their aggressiveness though.

protegewill

Quote from: Bradshaw on December 01, 2017, 04:32:06 pm
The Foots kid is good but to say he has more raw talent than Noland is quite a stretch!
I think Greenwood's secondary is faster than normal for them. They may give up some big plays due to their aggressi
veness though.

I base my quarterback comparison off several sites using stats and videos of Nolan/Foots since I have not personally seen Nolan play this year but I have seen him play previous years though. I know this method is not always the most accurate but it is better than nothing. As far as the secondary goes, all armor has kinks just trying to find Greenwood's so I can cover the spread in a bet!!

N2DEEP

catfish1

pinebluffzebra09

Quote from: bulldogger15 on December 01, 2017, 03:39:33 pm
Lololololololololololol

Your whole defense is going to get blasted. You'll need much more than the "best linebackers in the state".

Noland, Holt, Wood and Greenwood's dominate D will be the difference. Chemistry + Confidence + Execution = Bulldogs 6A State Championship!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

you alright with me bulldogger15. you have yet to change your arrogant ways. Never change. Never Settle. lol.

GoZebras!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas