• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-2018 NBA Season

Started by beach bum, September 23, 2017, 12:49:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

The season is less than a month away and big news just hit so I'll start the new season thread..... Carmelo has just been traded to the Thunder for McDermott, Kanter, and a 2nd round pick. I really am excited to see how the Thunder and also the Timberwolves gel with Jimmy Butler in the West.

NEA Razorback olfan

September 24, 2017, 05:39:30 pm #1 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:13:16 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Who cares, I won't watch overpaid thugs, play with a ball

beach bum

September 24, 2017, 05:47:15 pm #2 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:49:36 pm by beach bum
Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on September 24, 2017, 05:39:30 pm
Who cares, I won't watch overpaid thugs play with a ball

We found the racist nimwit. Most of those "thugs" give more money to charity in a month than your whole family at the trailer park will in their lifetime....If you haven't noticed the "dumb athlete stereotype" that sadly seemed to be true from the 80's and 90's that did not know how to handle their money has changed completely with this generation of athlete. They have learned wisely from their previous generation and are investing it in business and charity. You can choose to be ignorant about that, but it is true.

NEA Razorback olfan

September 24, 2017, 05:52:26 pm #3 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:11:21 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
I never mentioned race

WPWells

"Thug" has a racial implication

NEA Razorback olfan

Sorry , I'm not PC , I really don't care what snowflakes think

Thug is a noun

Violent person, especially a criminal
You can find cimes at NBACrimelibrary.com

beach bum

Quote from: NEA Razorback olfan on September 24, 2017, 06:49:21 pm
Sorry , I'm not PC , I really don't care what snowflakes think

Thug is a noun

Violent person, especially a criminal
You can find cimes at NBACrimelibrary.com

You are the one who sounds like a snowflake how much we have had to read your complaining today.... Can the mods delete this crap so they rest of us can talk sports again? I'll argue all day about sports on here, but if I want to read this stuff I'll go to facebook or twitter lol.

NEA Razorback olfan

September 24, 2017, 06:59:40 pm #7 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:05:57 pm by NEA Razorback olfan
Quote from: beach bum on September 24, 2017, 06:52:29 pm
You are the one who sounds like a snowflake how much we have had to read your complaining today.... Can the mods delete this crap so they rest of us can talk sports again? I'll argue all day about sports on here, but if I want to read this stuff I'll go to facebook or twitter lol.

We can agree on one thing , sports is supposed to be about entertainment, a way of relaxing and getting away from everything in the world , but ESPN and professional athletes made it political ,
Empty stadiums and low ratings will hurt this monster organization

Everyone knows the NBA is not worth watching until the playoffs

beach bum

Dwayne Wade is probably going to the Cavs after the Bulls buying out his contract.... He might help a little bit in the postseason actually. I think he has one more good postseason in his tank.

Romeo

Saw Bobby Portis the top trending topic on Twitter and got worried. Found out he apparently got into a fight with another player at practice and put him in the hospital.

beach bum

Quote from: Romeo on October 17, 2017, 06:07:49 pm
Saw Bobby Portis the top trending topic on Twitter and got worried. Found out he apparently got into a fight with another player at practice and put him in the hospital.

Probably got in a fight with Robin Lopez lol....

beach bum

Wow just took a look for myself.... He apparently broke a bone in Mirotic's face..... I am sure he is going to be suspended a fairly lengthy amount of time. And be traded possibly because Mirotic is more valued by the Bulls. Not good at all for Bobby.

beach bum

October 17, 2017, 07:47:40 pm #12 Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:13:30 pm by beach bum
Gordon Heyward has broken his leg/ankle just minutes into the new season for his new team..... Wow. That is just sad. If you do not have a strong stomach cause I don't then do not make the mistake I did and look it up online. I am mortified now.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: beach bum on October 17, 2017, 07:47:40 pm
Gordon Heyward has broken his leg/ankle just minutes into the new season for his new team..... Wow. That is just sad. If you do not have a strong stomach cause I don't then do not make the mistake I did and look it up online. I am mortified now.

That was absolutely disgusting. Definitely feel for him

Romeo

October 18, 2017, 12:34:09 pm #14 Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 12:46:39 pm by Romeo
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21064604/chicago-bulls-forward-bobby-portis-suspended-eight-games

Portis officially suspended 8 games by the league. The other guy he hit is expected to be out 4-6 weeks. There's conflicting reports on what happened, but according to this article, Mirotic charged at Portis twice before being getting punched. 

beach bum

EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS

(1)Toronto Raptors
(8)Washington Wizards

(4)Cleveland Cavaliers
(5)Indiana Pacers

(2)Boston Celtics
(7)Milwaukee Bucks

(3)Philadelphia 76er's
(6) Miami Heat

beach bum

WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS

(1)Houston Rockets
(8)Minnesota Timberwolves

(4)Oklahoma City Thunder
(5)Utah Jazz

(2)Golden State Warriors
(7)San Antonio Spurs

(3)Portland Trailblazers
(6)New Orleans Pelicans

beach bum

April 14, 2018, 06:03:52 pm #17 Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 06:14:38 pm by beach bum
Exceeded expectations of note for this year...

-I thought Philadelphia would make the playoffs but they exceeded expectations and jumped all the way up to the 52 win mark which is great for such a young team

-Utah Jazz have to be here, I am not sure many people had them in the playoffs and they solidly got in

-Houston Rockets having the best record

-Anthony Davis took the Pelicans to the playoffs even with Demarcus Cousins getting hurt, he flat out carried them

-I did not think the Pacers would get anywhere near the playoffs but they easily did

======================================================================

Some disappointments......

-Khawi Leonard and the Spurs?? What in the world is going on there??

-The Grizzlies were an injury rittled mess

-not really their fault but no Heyward or Kyrie for the Celtics in the playoffs stinks for them which probably means Lebron turns it on and cruises to the finals again

-last but not least, TANKING. I hate this new trend. When will American sports adopt promotion/relegation we see in soccer around the world? It keeps the competitve integrity in check big time having promotion/relegation!! I have a feeling they will change the lottery process after this draft to keep tanking more in check.

BigLion10

Prayers going up to Coach Popovich and the Spurs. Pop lost his wife last night who had been battling a long term illness, and will not coach game 3 tonight

beach bum

May 22, 2018, 10:32:49 pm #19 Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:32:18 pm by beach bum
The Rockets just won a few minutes ago in Oakland to make that series 2-2.... The Cavs and Celtics are sitting at 2-2 as well ensuring both Conference Finals go at least 6 games. Its about time these playoffs started getting fiery.

beach bum

Chris Paul puts on a show in the Rockets win to take a 3-2 series lead over the Warriors.... He did seem to injure his hamstring in the final minutes. This series is as close as it gets and they need him. I am sure in the morning we will find out if he can play or not in the rest of the series. If he can not play Harden and company better come out blazing from the three point line in one of the next 2 games for them to pull a win out in one of them.

Redwolves8526

What a game last night. It is impressive that the Rockets are switching on almost every screen whether it be on ball or off. I think that is the way you have to guard the Warriors. They made them go into too much isolation.

However, If I were a betting man, I think I'd still put my money on the Warriors. Especially if Chris Paul is done

Redwolves8526

And for those of you in the older crowd that always say that the NBA doesn't play defense or isn't physical, I don't see how you could argue that last night. Keeping two of the greatest shooting teams in history under 100 points for two consecutive games is extremely impressive.

AirWarren

I just cannot stand Steph Curry. The media portrays him as this "swell" guy but all I see is a foul mouth, punk. Most NBA players are though, he is just portrayed as a good guy too much and his "stardom" has gone to his head. Green of GS is also one of those that is unlikeable.

Go Rockets.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: AirWarren on May 25, 2018, 10:44:28 am
I just cannot stand Steph Curry. The media portrays him as this "swell" guy but all I see is a foul mouth, punk. Most NBA players are though, he is just portrayed as a good guy too much and his "stardom" has gone to his head. Green of GS is also one of those that is unlikeable.

Go Rockets.

I definitely get it. I'm personally a fan of both. I love their competitiveness they're definitely entertaining. I don't mind a little trash talk when you can back it up. However, I do have a problem with just about all players in the NBA and their actions on the court. I think it is the NBA's fault they let players whine and cry about every call. Start giving them a T and give out suspensions. Maybe when they lose some game checks they'll get the point.

I know that I do not want my players or my own kids to act the way they do on the court after a call doesn't go their way

beach bum

May 25, 2018, 01:32:17 pm #25 Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 01:41:31 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on May 25, 2018, 10:44:28 am

Go Rockets.

I have to totally agree with you. Golden State is the biggest collection of whiners. The only one I like is Klay Thompson who is very down to Earth and the only one out of the big 4 they have that is that way. It goes to show too that you can tell Chris Paul and the Rockets look so much more hungry right now than the Warriors. You can see it in their new found defense the Rockets are playing. You can tell Paul is starving to finally get a ring. I hope he can play again this playoffs.

AirWarren

beach bum

I am now rooting for a Cavs and Rockets final.... If Chris Paul can not return this playoffs and they play the Cavs we are looking at a 6 or 7 game finals that is extremely competitive. I do not want to see Celtics vs Warriors which won't be competitive whatsoever. Even Cavs vs Warriors might only go 5 or 6 in favor of the Warriors. Like I said, a Cavs vs Rockets series without Paul would be so good to watch. The Rockets don't have a defensive matchup for Lebron when Durant, Draymond, and Thompson matchup better with Lebron.

beach bum

The Rockets have come out completely on fire and have a 10 point lead in game 6 at the half.... If anyone can do it the Warriors could cut this lead down and take this game back. I hope not, but I am worried they are going to go on a 2nd half run..... Go Rockets though!!

beach bum

The refs totally swung this game for the Warriors. How many times can Harden get undercut on a three and they call no foul? One time he got a potential 4 point play and they took it away. They did it to Gordon too. Then the three pointer by Curry that started the run for the Warriors was a blantant moving screen. Houston understandably has folded through all that. I can not stand the Warriors outside of Klay Thompson.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: beach bum on May 28, 2018, 09:54:23 pm
The refs totally swung this game for the Warriors. How many times can Harden get undercut on a three and they call no foul? One time he got a potential 4 point play and they took it away. They did it to Gordon too. Then the three pointer by Curry that started the run for the Warriors was a blantant moving screen. Houston understandably has folded through all that. I can not stand the Warriors outside of Klay Thompson.

That game was not swung by the refs in the Warriors favor. How many times this series did Harden use his push off step back and not get called for it? They let them play physical last night, as they should. There were a few missed calls just like any game. But no way did the Warriors get helped out by the refs. They were just a better team, especially without CP3 handling the ball on the other side.

RATTLER43

Let me preface this by saying I have enjoyed the playoffs.  I am a Lakers fan, but watching these Celtics was fun.   Now, to the point of this post:  Threes, threes, threes.  Houston and Boston cut their own respective throats and died by the three. Yes, they won with it all year long, but as someone above posted, the officials are letting them play more physical basketball and the threes were not falling.  Meanwhile, the Cavaliers had a veteran team that could drive, hit some free shots, etc. and not exactly live by the three all of the time.  The Warriors can do most anything on offense better than opponents so they had the advantage while Houston just lived outside for the most part.  I just did not understand why Houston and Boston would not attack a little more.  Just my opinion.    I try to stay out of the officiating arguments.

Boston's future looks very bright.  Lebron might actually have some competition in the East if he is in Cleveland.   Right now, he is a man among boys in the east.   The Warriors, on the other hand, whether hated or not, are pretty tough.   If they win another title, they move into the elite teams of all-time in my opinion.

beach bum

The Cavs literally blew their chance to even make this series go 6 or 7 games.... Lebron goes for 50 and it does not matter as George Hill misses the game winning free throw in regulation. And what was JR Smith doing? My word he is a dingus not knowing they were tied still. Then Warriors could not miss in OT. This series will be over in 5 now probably. If not a sweep how dejecting that has to be for the Cavs to lose that way.

beach bum

And Let's hear Redwolves8526 defend the refs again at the end of the game? That was pathetic how much they favored the Warriors again. You won't ever hear me complain about refs in high school games cause we are even lucky to have guys put up with what they deal with for little pay in the high school game.... But these are professional games where refs are paid 200-400K a year in the NBA. They were a joke again for the Warriors.

VHSCoach2

As someone said on Twitter:

"In the end, it only took the Golden State Warriors' four All Stars, home court advantage, the referees, JR Smith, Michael Jordan's Secret Stuff, and Thanos' Infinity Gauntlet to put away LeBron James in Game 1."

AirWarren

I nearly jumped off the couch when Smith......did that crap.

Dear Good Lord above.

RATTLER43

Great opportunity for me to teach my kids/athletes that doing the right thing matters.  Smith didn't and the Cavs let it get away. Hill missed a free shot and the Cavs let it get away.

From the snarky side, one might say that Lebron just keeps getting karma for his garbage of "quitting on Cleveland" way back when, for his "in your face" ESPN announcement, in his ridiculous pronouncement of not 1, not 2, ....., or his incredible play in game 7 vs. the Celtics this year and he stands taunting on that end of the floor while his teammates and the Cs continue playing while he celebrates himself for his greatness instead of just hustling down the court (something done by lots of NBA players), or his decisions in games to just decide not to play defense on some plays, or.......   He is the best player in the past decade and one of the ten greatest ever, but I struggle cheering for him.   

I have no love for these Draymond Green Warriors, but I am happy any time that Lebron loses.  In a 48-minute game, the refs did not cost the Warriors. They blew many calls during the game.  I agree it was not well-officiated; but, what game is?  Officiating is so difficult.  When the players commit zero turnovers and they make every shot then discuss referees missing 5 or 6 calls....  at least that is the way I teach my teams about respecting the game.

Very entertaining game and the J.R. Smith gaffe will be remembered for a looooooong time unless Lebron leads them all the way back (like a couple of years ago).   Great players respond.  Let's see what he has for the Warriors now.

BigLion10

I see Crybaby James and the Cavs got tool to the woodshed 4-0 in the finals. 3 our of 4 titles for the GS Warriors. Congrats to Kerr and the Dubs on the victory

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: BigLion10 on June 10, 2018, 10:19:30 am
I see Crybaby James and the Cavs got tool to the woodshed 4-0 in the finals. 3 our of 4 titles for the GS Warriors. Congrats to Kerr and the Dubs on the victory

Yep.  Now Lebroom won't need to worry about declining the WH invite.

beach bum

Lebron is headed to the Lakers for the next 4 years.... If Kwahi Leonard does not end up in LA too with him this is a little bit of a head scratcher as I see the Lakers being a 4 to 7 seed type team out in the West if they don't land Kwahi too. Now the East will be the Celtics vs 76er's for the next 6 to 8 years in the finals with nobody else in the East. The West will have 9 or 10 solid teams.

AirWarren

Lebron to lakers makes me want to vomit.

beach bum

So Demarcus Cousins now goes to the Warriors... Does anyone want competition anymore? I guess not....

HorseFeathers

If the reports are true....The warriors we're the only team to offer cousins...

RATTLER43

Big man injuries are a little scary for GMs in the NBA.  History is replete with such:  Bill Walton, Sampson, Oden, Manning, Yao, etc.   In today's NBA, where 3s have replaced big men, the risk of spending BIG money on a big man might be the reason for few offers and him signing for a smaller contract.   Just food for thought.

RATTLER43

On a separate note, all the NBA talk on forums, FB, etc. is so negative about the Warriors signing him.   Things seem to be going back to a similar way that it was with what I consider the glory days of the NBA:  the 80s.   The Lakers and Celtics gobbled up talent.  Philadelphia did the same but on a smaller scale.  Then you had the Milwaukee Bucks and SA Spurs who were good.  Then a few other teams would rise and fall.  But the NBA had titans and was top-heavy.   It seems to have been evolving or cycling back to that.  The "superteams" approach.  The Warriors have won with it so I believe a few others will try it.  I think the Lakers are not finished putting together their own version.   That gives you the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets who are loaded. I think the Lakers, if they don't sign enough, will be like the Bucks of the 80s (soooooo good but could only get past either Dr. J Sixers or Bird Celtics in a playoff series but couldn't beat both in the same season.)   The NBA will be top-heavy again.  Been that way for about 10 years now.   Lakers-Celtics-Spurs, then Heat-Spurs, then Warriors-Cavs.     Some other good teams but really top-heavy.  From 1988-2007 you had so many different teams that competed to get to the finals and different names vying for titles.  I know the Bulls won 6 but look at all the different names that got to the finals during those years.   MJ just separated the Bulls from the others.  Back then you had Knicks, Daugherty-led Cavs, Sonics, Suns, Orlando, Sacramento, Jazz, Portland, Sixers, Nets, Mavs along with Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, Bulls, and Rockets who won titles.   Much more spread out and open for teams to get to finals.  I am not saying we are going back to glory days.  Just saying it bears a resemblance to the dynamics of that time.   Just my thoughts.

Longfellow

Quote from: RATTLER43 on July 05, 2018, 08:37:49 am
On a separate note, all the NBA talk on forums, FB, etc. is so negative about the Warriors signing him.   Things seem to be going back to a similar way that it was with what I consider the glory days of the NBA:  the 80s.   The Lakers and Celtics gobbled up talent.  Philadelphia did the same but on a smaller scale.  Then you had the Milwaukee Bucks and SA Spurs who were good.  Then a few other teams would rise and fall.  But the NBA had titans and was top-heavy.   It seems to have been evolving or cycling back to that.  The "superteams" approach.  The Warriors have won with it so I believe a few others will try it.  I think the Lakers are not finished putting together their own version.   That gives you the Warriors, Celtics, Rockets who are loaded. I think the Lakers, if they don't sign enough, will be like the Bucks of the 80s (soooooo good but could only get past either Dr. J Sixers or Bird Celtics in a playoff series but couldn't beat both in the same season.)   The NBA will be top-heavy again.  Been that way for about 10 years now.   Lakers-Celtics-Spurs, then Heat-Spurs, then Warriors-Cavs.     Some other good teams but really top-heavy.  From 1988-2007 you had so many different teams that competed to get to the finals and different names vying for titles.  I know the Bulls won 6 but look at all the different names that got to the finals during those years.   MJ just separated the Bulls from the others.  Back then you had Knicks, Daugherty-led Cavs, Sonics, Suns, Orlando, Sacramento, Jazz, Portland, Sixers, Nets, Mavs along with Lakers, Pistons, Celtics, Bulls, and Rockets who won titles.   Much more spread out and open for teams to get to finals.  I am not saying we are going back to glory days.  Just saying it bears a resemblance to the dynamics of that time.   Just my thoughts.
I often wonder how history would've turned out if the Sonics wouldn't have given Sam Perkins so much money and signed an actual big man to play alongside Kemp

RATTLER43

Maybe a title or two.   A really good team so close to greatness.  Which big man would they have been able to get in your opinion?

Longfellow

Shawn Bradley would've been one. The 76ers traded him to New Jersey that year, so I don't know if Seattle could've made the trade without giving up Detlef Schrempf. Jordan had his worst finals series in 1996, but their ridiculous frontline made up for it. I mean, Gary Payton was the only player to ever hold Jordan to less than 25 points in a playoff game

RATTLER43

I remember those years well.   I always thought the SuperSonics were so close.   Giving up Schrempf would have been a mistake in my opinion.  But Bradley might have been a solution. 

BigLion10

I never cared for a Bradley honestly he was like Yao y'all, but nothing else really. He got dunked on so many times it isn't funny and had no offensive moves and barely rebounded

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas