• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ouachita Baptist stadium renovation campaign announced

Started by OPoraquê, December 14, 2013, 09:29:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

BTW, there's a bigger picture linked here:

http://www.obu.edu/news/2013/12/13/ouachita-unveils-plans-to-construct-new-stadium-in-honor-of-cliff-harris/

My thoughts...any improvement would be better than what's there now (it's sparse, to say the least).  I'm guessing this could be further built around if funds were ever available.  Facilities are such a draw, understandably.  OBU's wrestling team is kicking tail and taking names right now in only their fourth year of existence, and I think it's partially because they've got a nice new wrestling facility.

I hope the GAC becomes a "power conference" in DII.  (I hope they could expand but I'm not sure that's likely yet.)  Nonetheless, the "power" in football in the Great American seems to be right now in Arkansas, and largely between SAU and especially OBU, HSU and HU (congrats to the Bison on their bowl win; wish OBU and Tarleton State could have played their bowl game  :'( ).  Anything that can be done to improve that facility (and even though this isn't a spanking new facility it will be striking, particularly driving in from the northeast, seeing that, then heading up the hill to the rest of the campus) will help, I believe.  I just hope our economy (and the individual wrecking leading it right now) don't preclude the funds from being raised.

gatecrasher

So the guy that the current stadium is named after...(AU Williams?)....so his honor gets tossed to the side or what?

OPoraquê

Quote from: gatecrasher on December 15, 2013, 03:33:21 pm
So the guy that the current stadium is named after...(AU Williams?)....so his honor gets tossed to the side or what?

Great question, and I hope the school provides an answer on this soon.  Maybe they'll name it "A.U.Williams field"?

Gotta admit, though, it might be a bit more catchy to say: "The battle of the Ravine will be at 'the Cliff' this year rather than 'the battle of the ravine will be at 'the A.U.'"

Lionheart88

It is A. U. Williams Field currently, so "A. U. Williams Field at Cliff Harris Stadium" could be done.  Henderson's is officially "Carpenter-Haygood Stadium at Ruggles Field", though you rarely hear "at Ruggles Field" except in official announcements.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 15, 2013, 07:29:12 pm
It is A. U. Williams Field currently, so "A. U. Williams Field at Cliff Harris Stadium" could be done.  Henderson's is officially "Carpenter-Haygood Stadium at Ruggles Field", though you rarely hear "at Ruggles Field" except in official announcements.

Tech's field is Beurkle Field, @ Thone Stadium....

OPoraquê

Thanks, all.  I knew they'd be able to do this without offending anyone.  I CERTAINLY hope this happens for OBU!

Lions84

OPoraquê

It's hard to know how things will go, but looking at the OBU/OBU Alumni Twitter feeds:

1.  The alumni are very happy about this.  Probably long overdue, but I hope this comes to pass as it will make apparently make many happy Ouachitonians.

2.  OBU retweets when high school kids tweet their intentions to go to OBU, and it appears from this at least three Dallas area football players (all all-district selections) are committed for the 2014 class.  One young man is a running back from Mesquite Horn (9-3 in Texas 5A this past season) who had at least one Division I offer and was at least twice-all district.  The other two were first team all-district kids from Garland High school (one also a team defensive MVP).  I believe each school was its district's runner-up.  I don't thing OBU's gotten that many kids from D/FW in one season in the past 3-4 incoming classes (provided they all sign and come in).  They're pretty happy to be alongside Kiehl Frazier.  We'll see, but between KF coming in and this stadium build this looks to be a shot of high-potency vitamins in the arm for an OBU football program that has been fairly healthy as it is.

Lots of time between now and next season's end.  Time will tell.

Lions84

Valleysports

OPoraquê

Again, we'll see in time, but BOY, it appears as though OBU is learning how overdue a new stadium (or at least a renovation of it) was.

So far (9:30 AM) they've gotten something like 16 LOIs, 9 out of state, 7 from Texas and THREE from Houston.  OBU may sign as many players from Texas today as they've gotten in the last 2-3 years combined.  Best to them, and I hope the school continues to keep its greater priorities straight.

OPoraquê

More than 1/2 OBU's signees to date from out of state.  Most (not all) of the skill players from LR/South Arkansas (Howell, Jones and Oliver had nearly 200 TDs and over 15,000 yards between them).  Kicker Wooley is a three time all district selection from the largest classication district in the Monroe area.  Players like Harold, Klein and Leger were first team all district players on teams that went 2-3 games deep into the Texas playoffs, Klein being Whitehouse' leading tackler.  Looks like a strong class:

Cortez Akins, DT, Conway, AR
Cameron Alexander, OL, Nashville, AR
R J Bailey, DB, Dumas, AR
A J Burton, DB, Conway, AR
Michael Carr, WR, Liberty-Eylau HS, Texarkana, TX
Andrew Estes, OL, Arkansas Baptist HS, Little Rock, AR
Michael Farley, Lufkin, TX
Tyler Gahr, OL, Valley View HS, Jonesboro, AR
Jordon Harold, LB, Horn HS, Mesquite, TX
Cameron Haskins, LB, Garland HS, Garland, TX
Nick Hayes, DB, Central HS, Little Rock, AR
Jakahari Howell, QB, Arkadelphia, AR
Demetric Jennings, DE, Commerce, TX
Drake Jones, ATH, Warren, AR
Joseph Klein, LB, Whitehouse, TX
Chris Leger, DT, North Shore HS, Galena Park, TX
Kraft McLean, LB, Canton, MS
Jahlon Mitchell, LB, Arkadelphia, AR
Alex Myres, DB, College Park HS, The Woodlands, TX
Kris Oliver, RB, Arkadelphia, AR
John Rachal, DE, Channelview HS, Houston, TX
Tristan Walsworth, DL, Troup, TX
Shelton Wooley, P/PK, Ruston, LA

Lionheart88

I see packing the Arkadelphia staff with OBU guys is paying off. :D

OPoraquê

Apparently, the old press box at Ouachita Baptist's football stadium is coming down this Friday in preparation for the stadium renovations.

Also, Rex Nelson is saying that last week's football recruiting class may be the best one Ouachita Baptist has signed to date in school history.  He's very excited for OBU's football future.

OPoraquê

Heh, heh, heh...we may not see OBU get another USA Today high school football Player of the year in our lifetimes.  (Hope we do, but I must be realistic).

But I KNOW I'll likely never see a football stadium of any kind come down in this fashion, with an individual like this at the controls, ever again.  Only at Ouachita Baptist University.  Looking forward to seeing what rises up in this former structure's place.

Lions84

I am coming to OBU this summer with my daughter to make a visit.

OPoraquê

June 04, 2014, 12:16:49 pm #18 Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:18:53 pm by OPoraquê
There are both construction photos and (more significantly) a video rendering (in the Facebook feed from Dr. Wesley Kluck) posted of the new Cliff Harris Stadium on the Ouachita Gridiron Club's Facebook page.

This stadium is going to be a beautiful structure for a Division II campus.

Valleysports

Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 11:15:19 am

Does she have a particular focus Lions - sports, academics, ministry, boys?

OPoraquê

This structure is going to be TALL (compared to what OBU had).

FilmCrew

It looks like the new stadium goes all the way to the Brick Wall. I wonder if that is going to cause a problem with the cheer squad.

OPoraquê

Interesting article in the Arkadelphia paper today on the OBU new stadium, with LOTS of pictures:

Quote"At over 3,500 square feet of real estate, the press box boasts areas for both home and away coaching staffs, home and away radio, filming space, two bathrooms, storage, a larger buffet area for the coaches and press as well as the President's Box and the Athletic Director's Box. The majority of the press box, with the only exception being the film area, will have windows that can be opened, or the press and coaches can take advantage of the climate-controlled area."

http://www.siftingsherald.com/article/20140821/Sports/140829914#ixzz3B2qDWK45

Lionheart88

They are still trying to do some ancillary fundraising though.  I got an email a few weeks ago from the school (as did many other alums, I'm sure) with a link to this video:

http://vimeo.com/m/101732934

Hoghead

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 15, 2013, 07:29:12 pm

Southwest Arkansas State plays at Haskell Jones Stadium @ Red River Chevy Field.....

OPoraquê

T minus one day and counting for the new stadium...this illustration (and the stadium) look much better than the original atop this post, IMO.

phdefense

Lions84

Quote from: Valleysports on June 04, 2014, 07:21:43 pm
Quote from: Lions84 on April 08, 2014, 11:15:19 am

Does she have a particular focus Lions - sports, academics, ministry, boys?

Momma vetoed it she doesn't want our daughter that far from DFW.   She is a music major , She has 3 band classes this year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas