• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Started by True Believer, January 22, 2014, 06:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

Lions84

bleudog

bleudog

True Believer

AirWarren

It's early but it seems that Two more Warren Lumberjacks have committed to the Red Wolves.

Jaylon Marshall WR
Darveon Brown WR

Both will be Seniors this year.

I think that makes 5 Lumberjacks since 2001 to go to ASU. Congrats guys.

Hero

......the last of Roberts recruits will be seniors this year. The man did a heck of a job with the program.

dc24

Quote from: Hero on June 22, 2014, 11:23:59 am
......the last of Roberts recruits will be seniors this year. The man did a heck of a job with the program.

Heck of a job recruiting.  Average to below-average as a head coach.

Uncle Ivan

Roberts did stabilize things.  Remember the Hollis years.

Hero

Quote from: dc24 on June 22, 2014, 03:39:42 pm

you'll never be able to convince me he is below average, or even average. Just saw an interview where Malzahn talked about how much more respect he has for him after seeing what he had to work with. It always appeared that stAte was an injury or two away each year from having a break out year. It just took the year he left for stAte to have an injury free season.

dc24

Quote from: Hero on June 23, 2014, 09:35:30 pm
Quote from: dc24 on June 22, 2014, 03:39:42 pm

you'll never be able to convince me he is below average, or even average. Just saw an interview where Malzahn talked about how much more respect he has for him after seeing what he had to work with. It always appeared that stAte was an injury or two away each year from having a break out year. It just took the year he left for stAte to have an injury free season.

I'm not buying it.  Roberts was great at evaluating talent and was just what Arkansas State needed when he was hired.  He did stabilize the program and if anyone tells you we'd be where we are without the foundation he laid, they're crazy.  That being said, we would have never gotten to where we are with him either.  We just couldn't win road conference games under him.  We couldn't quite win that big game at home either under him.  We just couldn't get over that hump.  Yes, there were a few unfortunate injuries, but I'm not remembering any that were just season-ruining for us.  I don't think we were abnormally hit by the injury bug during his tenure.  Also, you could tell by the 2010 season he was so burnt out.  Look at how much he aged over the years.  It was so stressful on him.  I also was told by several players that he was kind of disconnected from the team the last couple of years and the players really started to question if he could get them over the hump.  We probably waited one year too long to force him out.  The team that went 4-8 in 2010 was basically the same team that Freeze took to 10-2 and lost in the GoDaddy Bowl.  We needed that spark and Freeze had that motivation and fire in him that Roberts just didn't have, especially towards the end.

Like I said I'm thankful for what Roberts did and I'm sure he's a nice guy, good person, but he was at best an above average coach on his best day, especially gamedays.  It's also hard to know how much of his success or failure should be attributed to his staff.  The best coaches are usually able to surround themselves with great assistants.  He may be a lot better coach than I'm giving him credit for, but he may be worse.  I have respect for Coach Roberts but I'm also realistic.  I know there are people that are still upset he was forced out and I guess they think that since he took us to a bowl game that he deserved a lifetime contract and that just simply isn't true.

But feel free to point out some big injuries we had.  I'm curious now because I'm drawing a blank and would like to know because it could have been a factor.

Hoghead

June 24, 2014, 01:35:18 am #11 Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:37:23 am by Hoghead
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 22, 2014, 05:51:00 pm

Oh boy do I ?  That guy was a football cancer to ASU. Wasn't current Steeler HC Mike Tomlin on his staff at ASU ?

dc24

Quote from: Hoghead on June 24, 2014, 01:35:18 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 22, 2014, 05:51:00 pm

Oh boy do I ?  That guy was a football cancer to ASU. Wasn't current Steeler HC Mike Tomlin on his staff at ASU ?

Yes he was.

Hollis was able to recruit some talent to Jonesboro as well such as Cleo Lemon, Robert Kilow, and Garry Johnson, but he couldn't win at all.  I think the 2000 game against North Carolina State was the big downfall.  We were up late in the game and there was a bad call either late or in the first overtime that cost us the game.  Had we won that game it could have made all the difference that year, but we didn't.

Redwolf

Joe Hollis was to the redwolves what John L Smith was to the razorbacks. A complete program killer.

Hoghead

Quote from: Redwolf on July 23, 2014, 10:06:10 pm
Joe Hollis was to the redwolves what John L Smith was to the razorbacks. A complete program killer.

John L. Smith owes the UA some money !!!!!

bleudog

True Believer

Hoghead

Coach Beliema seen in Marked Tree discussing putting ASU on the Hogs Schedule ASAP !

True Believer

Naw.  He was  however seen in Trumann eating at Jerry's Steakhouse.

You know playing the Red Wolves won't help the hogs program at all....lol! 

Lions84

bleudog

Hoghead

wildcat_x-mgr

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Hoghead on September 01, 2014, 12:11:11 am
Coach Beliema seen in Marked Tree discussing putting ASU on the Hogs Schedule ASAP !

Why not?  It'd look like today's game.

True Believer

Now who did the Hogs play???  Never heard of them.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: True Believer on September 07, 2014, 02:56:54 pm

Oh, just a cupcake that ASU has a losing record against.

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 07, 2014, 10:17:12 pm
Quote from: True Believer on September 07, 2014, 02:56:54 pm

Oh, just a cupcake that ASU has a losing record against.

Actually, we don't. You must've been thinking of UofA's record against William and Mary. ;D

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on September 07, 2014, 11:06:04 pm

Actually, we don't.

Actually, they do.

Got Joe Hollis fired...on a Thanksgiving, nonetheless.  There might've been a couple hundred in attendance.

bleudog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 08, 2014, 06:28:42 pm

Actually, we don't.

Actually, they do.

Got Joe Hollis fired...on a Thanksgiving, nonetheless.  There might've been a couple hundred in attendance.

I was surprised they've only faced each other once.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sunbelt/arkansas_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=2254

True Believer

We played a SEC team. 

Yep.  Cupcake.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: bleudog on September 08, 2014, 06:48:32 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on September 08, 2014, 06:28:42 pm

Actually, we don't.

Actually, they do.

I was surprised they've only faced each other once.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/sunbelt/arkansas_state/opponents_records.php?teamid=2254

Which is precisely where I went to look it up before I mentioned it.

wildcat_x-mgr

My mistake, I was looking at McNeese State instead of Nicholls State.

AirWarren

September 10, 2014, 09:44:32 pm #32 Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:58:42 pm by AirWarren
Hope my Hurricanes crush asu.

True Believer

AirWarren

September 13, 2014, 05:09:50 pm #34 Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:45:27 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: True Believer on September 12, 2014, 10:35:51 pm
LOL....you people are too funny. 

U people 41
The other school 14

AirWarren

All about the U! GO CANES!!!

U people 41
The other team 20
Final.

True Believer

Tailgating next weekend!   Hope the weather is as nice as this weekend.

Wearing our CROSS t-shirts!!

Howl Yes!!!   

bleudog

September 13, 2014, 11:16:29 pm #37 Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 08:13:08 pm by bleudog
Quote from: True Believer on September 13, 2014, 08:41:03 pm
Tailgating next weekend!   Hope the weather is as nice as this weekend.

Wearing our CROSS t-shirts!!

Howl Yes!!!   

Here's an article about the shirts:

http://thefox1049.com/news/036630-asu-football-decal-controversy/

Uncle Ivan

Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said Wednesday afternoon an attorney contacted the school concerned about a religious symbol on a public university's equipment.

Oh?

Out the guy.  Let's see who it is.

AirWarren

True Believer

Aw.  No problem!   The Design Shop is selling Cross T-shirts for $5.   The Jonesboro Radio group is giving away 1000 of them this coming weekend.  Howl Nation has them for $10. 

All the money made is going to scholarships in Barry Don's and Markel's name.

You can't keep this University or this town down.  Even if you are a liberal.

I have 3 ordered. 

True Believer

This is the cross that our players put on their helmets to honor their brethen.  ASU football is a very tight knit group.

Someone complained and well you know how that goes.  No one wanted them taken off.

But now instead of just a cross on the helmet.  We have our Red Wolf community coming together to stand up for our rights.  And someone will be able to afford an education so all good works toward the Glory of God.

:) 

AirWarren

Not an asu fan but a fan of Christians who take stand. Make some noise up there for the rest of us Christians. Make headlines!

Jack1990

Quote from: True Believer on September 14, 2014, 07:42:39 pm

This is the cross that our players put on their helmets to honor their brethen.  ASU football is a very tight knit group.

Someone complained and well you know how that goes.  No one wanted them taken off.

But now instead of just a cross on the helmet.  We have our Red Wolf community coming together to stand up for our rights.  And someone will be able to afford an education so all good works toward the Glory of God.

:)
To this...I will say HOWL YES!

birdman16

They had to cut the vertical line on the decal but it is still on the helmet.

True Believer

Whoever this player is........I applaud him.   I feel like he is doing the right thing for our rights.  A lot of us don't have the guts to follow through.   We just feel like giving up.  I do sometimes.

Prayers for this Red Wolf.  And way to go!!

https://libertyinstitute.org/arkansasstatefootball

True Believer

Today I went to pick up my t shirts.  I am not lying.  1000 people lined up to get t shirts today to  support the team and to support the right to wear a cross.

And that was just today!

And yes.  Even though they may still  be sued.  Any player who voluntarily places the cross on his helmet will be allowed to wear it.

Go Red Wolves!

birdman16

Yeah they can put it on there as long as they BUY it. It can't be given to them that is considered an improper benefit because they receive something with monetary value. All helmets have to match so they would all have to buy one to put on there. I think it's pretty much a done deal that they are not going back on the helmets. You don't want that potential controversy to mess with the team no matter what the cause could be.

True Believer

Quote from: birdman16 on September 20, 2014, 07:24:18 am
Yeah they can put it on there as long as they BUY it. It can't be given to them that is considered an improper benefit because they receive something with monetary value. All helmets have to match so they would all have to buy one to put on there. I think it's pretty much a done deal that they are not going back on the helmets. You don't want that potential controversy to mess with the team no matter what the cause could be.

LOL....whatever.   It's a done deal that they are on the helmets. 

Proud of my University and the Red Wolves!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas