• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Team Changes(merged)

Started by fastdrop, November 26, 2011, 08:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

True Believer

Smithian

Quote"@FakeBobPetrino The Demacrat-Gazette sports secton has already reserved space for you on Page 12, Gus Malzahn!"
I laughed. Hard.

FT44

December 13, 2011, 09:38:36 pm #102 Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:42:13 pm by FT44
Gus signed presser in the morn ;D

ricefarmer

got to be some problems at auburn as well.  how do you turn down 1.3 mil as OC? 
dunno what asu is going to pay but wow.

does asu have to buy his contract too from auburn?

Smithian

What happens that last year he turns down around 2 million from Vandy and this year he takes a big pay cut to go to Arkansas State?

That's a "Hm" situation.

NEArkie

Gus Malzahn is the new Arkansas State head football coach.

Posted: Dec 13, 2011 9:05 PM CST Updated: Dec 13, 2011 9:45 PM CST
JONESBORO, AR (KAIT) - After just over a week of searching the Arkansas State Red Wolves have a new head football coach.

Late Tuesday night, multiple sources confirmed that former University of Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has been named the head football coach. There will be a press conference to introduce him Wednesday.

Malzahn is a graduate of Henderson State and an Arkansas native. He's considered to be one of Arkansas' best former high school coaches, winning state titles at Shiloh Christian and Springdale. He was the Razorbacks offensive coordinator in 2006, then took the same job at Tulsa in 2007 and 2008.

Malzahn's last stop was in the SEC. He was Auburn's offensive coordinator from 2009 to 2011, winning a national championship along the way with the Tigers.

We'll have more on this developing story as it becomes available.

Air_Bomber

"Vanderbilt got the much better end of the deal. James Franklin is the man. Gus Malzahn is high school." quote from smithian

I'm very sorry to say this, but I feel like it must be said. THAT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!

Smithian

Quote from: Air_Bomber on December 13, 2011, 09:55:37 pm
"Vanderbilt got the much better end of the deal. James Franklin is the man. Gus Malzahn is high school." quote from smithian

I'm very sorry to say this, but I feel like it must be said. THAT IS THE DUMBEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!
The Malzahn being high school part was sarcasm, but James Franklin is the man.

Smithian

Seriously though, excellent hire by Arkansas State.

True Believer

3:30 p.m. press conference at the Convo tomorrow.  Open to all. 

R. A.™

Statement from footballscoop

Arkansas State: I'm in disbelief even typing this; but Gus Malzahn has agreed to become head coach at A-State. "On Sunday these guys didn't think there was a chance in the world."

Wahls

I just don't understand why you reject 3 Million a year at Vandy, then accept less than a mill a year at Arkansas State...

True Believer

Quote from: R. A.™ on December 13, 2011, 10:14:31 pm
Statement from footballscoop

Arkansas State: I'm in disbelief even typing this; but Gus Malzahn has agreed to become head coach at A-State. "On Sunday these guys didn't think there was a chance in the world."

^^^  This is so true.

I know everyone in the Boro tonight is just in disbelief.   I say let's take this one game at a time.   Freeze was really good for this town.   I hope Malzahn does the same.  I hate to jump on the Gus Bus since I really didn't think too highly of him once upon a time.  I do know the team is just beyond excited and they are holding their heads very high after the disappointment of Freeze leaving.  Facebook is blowing up right now with their statuses.   There are some very happy students as well! 

Rulesman

Wahls

Quote from: Air_Bomber on December 13, 2011, 09:55:37 pm

After looking at the job James Franklin has done, you have no point. At all.

Peety

Arkansas State just took a huge step forward. This is nuts.

Bly-Vegas

Malzahn will make in the neighborhood of $800K-$850K per year.

zebradynasty

Quote from: ASU Rugby on December 13, 2011, 08:45:34 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on December 13, 2011, 06:31:20 pm
IF Gus takes the job my guess is it would be for family reasons not career. It is almost a guarantee that Gus gets a shot at a major d-1 program within the next 3 years. ASU (no offense) does nothing for his resume. I have no proof just speculation  :-\

Yeah...did nothing for Hugh Freeze.

To clarify for a person in Gus position this was not a career move. Although having head coach on the resume is a plus...that's not what has kept Gus from getting any offers. Like I said in less than 3 years he would have been offered a head coaching job at major D-1 school. I suspect he may not have been all that happy at Auburn. I can also see how the ASU job appeals to him because if he keeps his success going there he could take them where Lacewell left off decades ago! I am also excited cause I think this will give a few more kids in Arkansas a place to play that otherwise fall through the cracks. Freeze needed a head coaching on his resume, Gus not so much he's been on the radar a long time and a lot of people all over the country know him. Why you think Auburn paid him $1.3 mil? My only concern is will ASU put up the money to take the next step?

ASU Rugby

Quote from: Wahls on December 13, 2011, 10:20:15 pm
I just don't understand why you reject 3 Million a year at Vandy, then accept less than a mill a year at Arkansas State...

Its simple. That was this year. This is now.

Ex-HAplayer

Hoghead

My name is Gus Malzahn and Im the head coach at Arkansas State. Kristi ! Get a hold of yourself ! Yes we're putting Arkansas on the schedule. Needless to say this is my DREAM JOB. Kristi ! put your shirt back on and get off of that table. I'm trying to do a press conference here ! I'm proud to be a RED WOLF ! Get your popcorn ready because we're gonna kick some tail in the Sun Belt.

Romeo

Impressive that Malzahn and Freeze were both high school coaches in 2004 and now are head coaches of division I programs. I would think Malzahn will take Rhett Lashlee with him to be OC. Does he contact Josh Floyd to be an assistant?

InYoGrill

Quote from: Hoghead on December 14, 2011, 01:35:39 am
My name is Gus Malzahn and Im the head coach at Arkansas State. Kristi ! Get a hold of yourself ! Yes we're putting Arkansas on the schedule. Needless to say this is my DREAM JOB. Kristi ! put your shirt back on and get off of that table. I'm trying to do a press conference here ! I'm proud to be a RED WOLF ! Get your popcorn ready because we're gonna kick some tail in the Sun Belt.

LOL! She needs to be caged up a while in a straight jacket.

Bondfan4ever

According to one of the Little Rock TV stations, Rhett Lashlee will follow Coach Malzahn to ASU to be the offensive coordinator.  This is more than a home run or grand slam hire by Dean Lee.......this is a program impact hire.  If Hugh Freeze doesn't go 10-2 and win a Sun Belt Conference title, I truly don't believe all of this takes place.  Kudos to Mr. Lee for opening up the wallet to get a coach that will bring a new group of players/recruits to Jonesboro.  Not only does this help ASU, but this helps Jonesboro and NEA.  The impact that this hire and hopeful success will have on the economy potentially could be huge. You think about the exposure that ASU and Jonesboro is getting and will get, plus, the recruits and their families that will visit Jonesboro will open doors as far as more people visiting and moving to NEA.  As a graduate of the ASU system, I'm proud of the present success and am very optimistic of the future success of the program.  Go Red Wolves!!!

fastdrop

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNn ,,,,,,

I have been up north with the Cheese eating Wisconsin Packer Nation the last few days and I am just now getting this news.

Great Hire by ASU  ---- GREAT FRICKIN hire. Beats the dog poo out of what most folks sre finding out there as potential college head coaches.

Why would Gus turn down 2 mil.  --- Leave a school that was paying twice as much?

Simple answer ---- Not everything is about making more and more and more money. I think he will make plenty to keep his family fed.

FT44

AGREE!!!! Its not like $850.000 with house and other incentives is chump change. And who would want to coach Vandy except for the money. Finally a coach thats not about the dollar!

Smithian

Again, James Franklin is a really good coach and his staff is pretty darn good as well. He was a known name before taking the Vanderbilt job.

fastdrop

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 14, 2011, 12:46:52 am
Quote from: ASU Rugby on December 13, 2011, 08:45:34 pm
Quote from: zebradynasty on December 13, 2011, 06:31:20 pm
IF Gus takes the job my guess is it would be for family reasons not career. It is almost a guarantee that Gus gets a shot at a major d-1 program within the next 3 years. ASU (no offense) does nothing for his resume. I have no proof just speculation  :-\

Yeah...did nothing for Hugh Freeze.

To clarify for a person in Gus position this was not a career move. Although having head coach on the resume is a plus...that's not what has kept Gus from getting any offers. Like I said in less than 3 years he would have been offered a head coaching job at major D-1 school. I suspect he may not have been all that happy at Auburn. I can also see how the ASU job appeals to him because if he keeps his success going there he could take them where Lacewell left off decades ago! I am also excited cause I think this will give a few more kids in Arkansas a place to play that otherwise fall through the cracks. Freeze needed a head coaching on his resume, Gus not so much he's been on the radar a long time and a lot of people all over the country know him. Why you think Auburn paid him $1.3 mil? My only concern is will ASU put up the money to take the next step?
yep

R. A.™

Quote from: FT44 on December 14, 2011, 07:43:16 am
AGREE!!!! Its not like $850.000 with house and other incentives is chump change.

Is the house the President's house? ASU bought a house for the President in LR.

Astate37

Can I get a HOWL YES?!?!?! Welcome back to the Natural State Gus Malzahn!

GO RED WOLVES!!!

Wahls

People are bringing up the house and two cars, but if you subtracted what Arkansas State offered from what he makes at Auburn he could buy a house and two cars in one, maximum two, years.

He could have bought part of the campus from what Vanderbilt offered.

Chosen 1

Quote from: R. A.™ on December 14, 2011, 09:44:30 am
AGREE!!!! Its not like $850.000 with house and other incentives is chump change.

It's the former Chancellor Potts' former residence.

R. A.™

R. A.™

Peety

It's not all about the money. What a great hire. Go Red Wolves!

herws

Vandy deal WAS NOT for 3 million. It was 1.7 per year WITH INCENTIVES TO 3 million. Just to clarify all the confusion.

My father gave Gus his first head coaching job in Hughes in 1992. It's very ironic that he gets his first head coaching gig in college an hour up the road. Happy for Gus.

All the BCS jobs that passed over eveyone because they didnt have HC experience had a huge influence in this hire.

Kudos to A Stae for ponying up the money. Kudos to Hugh Freeze for his role in this as well. Gus and Hugh are good friends.

AirWarren

Great hire but he will leave soon. This will be the final stepping stone for a HC job. Proven assistant at Tulsa, proven assistant at auburn with a national title under his belt, and now a real HC job in a weak conference. He will win games and the big names will come calling. This is the final notch in his belt for a position to gain a big job.

Congrats to asu though.

Big Fan

Quote from: Chosen 1 on December 14, 2011, 10:11:53 am
Quote from: R. A.™ on December 14, 2011, 09:44:30 am

It's the former Chancellor Potts' former residence.
It's a home in the Ridge Pointe Subdivision valued at $505,000.

Wahls

Quote from: herws on December 14, 2011, 01:26:29 pm
Vandy deal WAS NOT for 3 million. It was 1.7 per year WITH INCENTIVES TO 3 million. Just to clarify all the confusion.

It's still 1 million guaranteed more.

And that 505,000 house could be paid off with the money he loses from moving to Auburn. Just saying.

Mulerider

Quote from: Smithian on December 13, 2011, 09:54:21 pm
What happens that last year he turns down around 2 million from Vandy and this year he takes a big pay cut to go to Arkansas State?

That's a "Hm" situation.

A few things happened:

1) No Cam Newton
2) 7-5 this year with worse to come
3) His wife
4) Michael Dyer suspended indefinitely at AU

Great hire for Dean Lee at Arkansas State!!! Congrats to the Red Wolfes.

RD™

Dooley is on the hot seat in Knoxville (them Vols are inpatient), I wouldn't be surprised to see Malzhan's name in the mix for at job at Tennessee in 2012-2013 Coaching Caoursel.

herws

Quote from: Wahls on December 14, 2011, 03:54:00 pm
Quote from: herws on December 14, 2011, 01:26:29 pm

It's still 1 million guaranteed more.

And that 505,000 house could be paid off with the money he loses from moving to Auburn. Just saying.

You win at stAte, that money becomes pocket change in the future. And knowing GM as well as anybody. it ain't all about the money.

Radiotalker

High school returns home to coach high school.

AirWarren

Quote from: RD™ on December 14, 2011, 04:00:43 pm
Dooley is on the hot seat in Knoxville (them Vols are inpatient), I wouldn't be surprised to see Malzhan's name in the mix for at job at Tennessee in 2012-2013 Coaching Caoursel.

He ain't there long term. Promise that.

True Believer

fastdrop

sevenof400

Quote from: AW on December 14, 2011, 05:08:18 pm
Quote from: RD™ on December 14, 2011, 04:00:43 pm

He ain't there long term. Promise that.

I don't see Dooley on the hot seat in Knoxville just yet. UcheaT was that bad and it is going to take time to rebuild. Dooley probably has 2-3 more years before his job is at risk.

Nemesis

Fulmer had some lackluster final years and Lane Kiffin butchered what was left in his "brief" pitstop.  Any coach coming in there was going to have to rebuild a proud but severely damaged program.

AirWarren

Quote from: Nemesis on December 14, 2011, 09:27:42 pm
Fulmer had some lackluster final years and Lane Kiffin butchered what was left in his "brief" pitstop.  Any coach coming in there was going to have to rebuild a proud but severely damaged program.
Regardless, Malzahn's last stop won't be ASU and he won't be there long.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas