• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Omaha Boys

Started by thebigman3, January 18, 2018, 09:52:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yesteryearman

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 18, 2018, 12:30:24 pm
Would like to add this may be the second weakest region in the state for boys basketball. Omaha and deer pumped out great records last season and both layed giant goose eggs. Not even sure if region 1 won a game in state for boys last season. While it's a new year, keep in mind this region isn't all that great this season, and Omaha doesn't have it easy In state either.

Say they win region 1 and go to the top of quadrant 1. Their second game will be against region 3 runner up(Guy, Concord) possibly, or region 4 runner up (Kirby, County Line, Dierks)

Then if they were to win that game. They may end up catching the winner of region 4(Kirby county line)

For them to win state they'll go through a harder tournament than the winner from region 2 who will coast to the semis

Wishful thinking from a die-hard Kirby fan?  Just sounds like it will be the end of the world if Omaha is really this good the same year that Kirby has all of the move-ins and coach's son is a senior....this would be the year that Kirby finally breaks through....only to be thwarted by Omaha having their best team ever?

HorseFeathers

January 19, 2018, 10:52:56 pm #51 Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:00:31 pm by HorseFeathers
Nvm

Backboard Shattered

Quote from: thechampchamp on January 19, 2018, 09:05:44 am
Guy has a team full of shooters. DONT SLEEP!
Quitman beat them!?  Quitman must have had lots of caffiene and guarded well hahahah DO NOT SLEEP uuuuhhhhh

begpmat

Deer starts 2 seniors and 3 jrs.  And have no bench. Play 5 players unless someone fouls out and that don't happen at Deer. Probably toughest place in 1A to win.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: begpmat on January 19, 2018, 10:59:54 pm
Deer starts 2 seniors and 3 jrs.  And have no bench. Play 5 players unless someone fouls out and that don't happen at Deer. Probably toughest place in 1A to win.

Played 6 tonight before foul trouble started.

Shot 49% from the field and +10 on rebounding....if #25 applied himself a bit more inside he'd be really good for a 1a center/forward....seen em twice and he's had 8+ rebounds both times, just doesn't score much it seems

BannerChaser95

Quote from: yesteryearman on January 19, 2018, 07:26:29 pm
Wishful thinking from a die-hard Kirby fan?  Just sounds like it will be the end of the world if Omaha is really this good the same year that Kirby has all of the move-ins and coach's son is a senior....this would be the year that Kirby finally breaks through....only to be thwarted by Omaha having their best team ever?
Not quite sure where you picked all that out of the air, but as a Kirby fan obviously I'm routing for them. But, as a fan of the game in general I was making an observation that the Region 1 winner will have a different route to the State Finals as the Region 2 winner. Who's first daunting task would be in the Semis. Of course it's me thinking highly of the Region 4 runner up and the Region 3 runner up.  You look at the state tournament bracket and tell me how it's fair a 4-4 play each other, but a 2 and a 2 must play to just go to the Quarter Finals. Sure you have to win all your games in state to be state champions, but this isn't a final 8 teams are the best 8 teams playing type situation which I think it should be. So no, as a fan of the game and an opinionated one at that. I think Omaha has their hands full and if they made it to state finals they'd be my favorite by a generous margin.

ZacAttack

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 06:11:23 am
But, as a fan of the game in general I was making an observation that the Region 1 winner will have a different route to the State Finals as the Region 2 winner. Who's first daunting task would be in the Semis. Of course it's me thinking highly of the Region 4 runner up and the Region 3 runner up.  You look at the state tournament bracket and tell me how it's fair a 4-4 play each other, but a 2 and a 2 must play to just go to the Quarter Finals. Sure you have to win all your games in state to be state champions, but this isn't a final 8 teams are the best 8 teams playing type situation which I think it should be. So no, as a fan of the game and an opinionated one at that. I think Omaha has their hands full and if they made it to state finals they'd be my favorite by a generous margin.
Banner Chaser, do you think it's time to modernize the State Tournament bracket construction?  I hate to refer to a "plug in teams to slots" method as a seeding procedure.  I've said for a while the State Tournament should use some sort of ranking system similar to what MaxPreps uses.  This would also prevent the sandbagging some coaches have been accused of using to get a better tourney slot.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ZacAttack on January 20, 2018, 08:38:29 am
Banner Chaser, do you think it's time to modernize the State Tournament bracket construction?  I hate to refer to a "plug in teams to slots" method as a seeding procedure.  I've said for a while the State Tournament should use some sort of ranking system similar to what MaxPreps uses.  This would also prevent the sandbagging some coaches have been accused of using to get a better tourney slot.

I'd be fine with just flat out using maxpreps....do I disagree with their rankings....sometimes... But do I disagree to the point itd cause a problem with a team getting completely shafted in their seeding? Probably not

BannerChaser95

Quote from: ZacAttack on January 20, 2018, 08:38:29 am
THIS IS WORTH THE READ, I promise.

The "plug it in system" has major drawbacks especially in rural 1A basketball. 2015 shows you that with a 4 seed making semis. That'd never happen had you done the plug it in system. I like the basic system that follows. Beat the team and you are in. So if you win a game in your regional tournament you're in. However to me the mistake is that thinking 5 regions is the answer. Kirby drove 2 hours to play County Line in Regional finals. Which is actually further than teams they were already paird up with. AAA neeeds to do a basic demographic study, realize where the schools are! Divide the state down the middle north and south, then divide it again east and west and anyone with basic knowledge will show you that what, 70% of the population in this state is in little rock or above. So you hold all finals in Little Rock, case point and shut on that. It's the state capital with over 1+million in its surroundings areas. It can hold all state finals I promise!

Anyways you do a basic 3 regionals. 8 teams qualify for the regionals just like normal except you do 2 teams to state tournament as automatic qualifiers. (6 teams automatically qualified)

So at this point if we stopped the season and I predicted the regional final match ups for those three regionals

Your state tournament automatic qualifiers would be Kirby and dierks from region 3, Omaha and Couny Line  from region 1 and Guy  and ICC from region 2.

(Now I get the state isn't divided equally doing this, and 6 teams have been punched in, so how does a team like dierks get in after flying through the radar all year, well because they made the automatic qualifier and made that regional finals)

So you seed your other 6 teams (12 team tournament) by the rankings which is kept by actual people in the league (THE COACHES POLL) and then the press poll just like college ball. Which would give us 1) Concord (Region 2), 2) Deer (Region 1) 3) Nevada (Region 3) 4) Mt. Vernon-Enola (region 2) 5) Armorel (Region 2) 6) Wonderview (Region 1)

Then you seed them as so automatics rank 1-4 are given byes the other 2 are your 5-6 seeds automatically and they're voted on as well but obviously how regionals go will also help seed the first 6

So (Omaha 1 bye, ICC 2 bye, Coutny Line 3 Bye, and Kirby 4 bye) (Guy 5, Dierks 6)

First round match ups would go as such 8vs9 (Deer vs Nevada) 5vs12 (Guy vs Wonderview) 7vs10
(Concord vs MVE) and then 6vs11 (Dierks VS Armorel) so we will just say all the higher seeded teams win which would give us

1Omaha vs 8Deer
4Kirby vs 5Guy
2Icc vs 7Concord
3County Line vs 6Dierks again we will just say higher seeds win out giving us a Omaha vs ICC state championship

It's not perfect and I doubt anyone read it all. But I've thought about it for a while and basically all it takes is the people putting the show together to care, coaches have to vote for their poll, (Maxpreps or something else) gives us our media poll and you rank them as you go. It'll never happened I just wanted to explain my perfect state tournament. Sure theirs flaws but I like it, and it sure as heck beats 20 teams sure you're in. It should be an honor to play in state. 10-3 Woodlawn isn't going to pull off the run of the year and win state. Sorry rison folks, we will see you come baseball season.

thebigman3

I read it.. but what I'm taking from it is your wanting to make it like the NCAA tourney in a way?...

BannerChaser95

January 20, 2018, 12:20:11 pm #60 Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 12:23:06 pm by BannerChaser95
Quote from: thebigman3 on January 20, 2018, 11:51:03 am
I read it.. but what I'm taking from it is your wanting to make it like the NCAA tourney in a way?...
sorta, automatic qualifiers stink, but limiting it to 6 give chances to teams catching fire at the end of the season to do something. 6 at large gets your teams in that may not have had the best night ever at regionals but had a great regular season a chance for a state title. (2011 Bay was a 4 seed and won state) so I like 12 teams because I feel after 12 you're just searching for teams to fill the brackets. Sure 16 symmetrically makes since too. But I still like the at large. So if that's the number we like do 8 automatics and 8 at large teams. Like college but something for a rural lower division like 1A basketball.

thebigman3

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 12:20:11 pm
sorta, automatic qualifiers stink, but limiting it to 6 give chances to teams catching fire at the end of the season to do something. 6 at large gets your teams in that may not have had the best night ever at regionals but had a great regular season a chance for a state title. (2011 Bay was a 4 seed and won state) so I like 12 teams because I feel after 12 you're just searching for teams to fill the brackets. Sure 16 symmetrically makes since too. But I still like the at large. So if that's the number we like do 8 automatics and 8 at large teams. Like college but something for a rural lower division like 1A basketball.
I mean I like the idea. Wheather it's 12 or 16 teams. But I feel like the reason 1a has 20 teams go is because isn't 1a the biggest division as far as number of teams?

SackAttack

4 regions 8 teams! Winners and runners ups! Everybody else get out the balls bats and start off season! Making the state tournament as a 2 loss loser in regionals is a joke

BannerChaser95

Quote from: thebigman3 on January 20, 2018, 01:52:46 pm
I mean I like the idea. Wheather it's 12 or 16 teams. But I feel like the reason 1a has 20 teams go is because isn't 1a the biggest division as far as number of teams?
biggest division, and the worst too... sorry but after about top 6-7 it's a major drop off. I mean Kirby beat Nevada at Nevada by how much? Like 30 something. I'm just saying 12 is still plenty.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on January 20, 2018, 03:40:05 pm
4 regions 8 teams! Winners and runners ups! Everybody else get out the balls bats and start off season! Making the state tournament as a 2 loss loser in regionals is a joke
Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 03:51:49 pm
biggest division, and the worst too... sorry but after about top 6-7 it's a major drop off. I mean Kirby beat Nevada at Nevada by how much? Like 30 something. I'm just saying 12 is still plenty.

Byes are dumb

thebigman3

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 03:51:49 pm
Good point.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: SackAttack on January 20, 2018, 03:40:05 pm
alright dividing the old regions up like they were or will be next season as well. Kirby, Dierks, county Line, Omaha, icc, Guy, Concord and Armorel would most likely be the 8 teams in my best guess. How do you see them? Just by the eye test of record or like old times. Regional winners play regional runner ups? I like 12 because that's an extra round of games to watch. Do the 4 winners and the 3rd place. Winners of regionals get a first round bye in state. Idk it could be better than it is.

Region 4 runner up Vs region 3 runner up in the first rounds a joke.

BannerMountainMan

64 team 1a state tourney. Just like NCAA. 67 teams so 3 will not have to play. St Joe, Mt ida, umpire.

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 20, 2018, 04:29:18 pm
Byes are dumb
Moderating Jr. high JV Quiz bowl is dumb. But there's some poor soul doing that too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BannerMountainMan

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 07:25:41 pm
Moderating Jr. high JV Quiz bowl is dumb. But there's some poor soul doing that too. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Debating things that will never happen vs volunteering to do things that actually happen hmmm

BannerChaser95

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 20, 2018, 07:58:01 pm
Debating things that will never happen vs volunteering to do things that actually happen hmmm
Yet you're doing both...😂

HorseFeathers

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 07:59:09 pm
Yet you're doing both...😂

If I've said more than byes are dumb(which they are for the most part) then I've forgotten what I said lol

SackAttack

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 05:19:14 pm
alright dividing the old regions up like they were or will be next season as well. Kirby, Dierks, county Line, Omaha, icc, Guy, Concord and Armorel would most likely be the 8 teams in my best guess. How do you see them? Just by the eye test of record or like old times. Regional winners play regional runner ups? I like 12 because that's an extra round of games to watch. Do the 4 winners and the 3rd place. Winners of regionals get a first round bye in state. Idk it could be better than it is.

Region 4 runner up Vs region 3 runner up in the first rounds a joke.
My main point is that for the most part regional tournament has lost most of its high drama. it used to be almost as pressure packed as the state tournament. Now in a lot of cases its a week off in some areas. Finish 4th make the state tournament! finish third in some cases you get a better draw than the winner! Where is the fairness in that? One reason why basketball is trending backwards in my opinion but Ive said that before and Im in the minority but Im not offended!

JimmyChitwood

Quote from: SackAttack on January 20, 2018, 09:06:32 pm
My main point is that for the most part regional tournament has lost most of its high drama. it used to be almost as pressure packed as the state tournament. Now in a lot of cases its a week off in some areas. Finish 4th make the state tournament! finish third in some cases you get a better draw than the winner! Where is the fairness in that? One reason why basketball is trending backwards in my opinion but Ive said that before and Im in the minority but Im not offended!
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you sack. Back at Hickory, we had to win sectionals just to make regionals. Of course we won with the leadership of Coach Norman Dale.

SackAttack

Quote from: JimmyChitwood on January 20, 2018, 09:34:49 pm
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with you sack. Back at Hickory, we had to win sectionals just to make regionals. Of course we won with the leadership of Coach Norman Dale.
Oh crap Jimmy you might as well get on the Sack Train you weed through the bs and you know I'm right and spot on most of the time!! It's just crazy hard for everybody to admit! I realize few want to turn loose of their stubborn pride and admit I know what I'm talking about

yesteryearman

Quote from: BannerChaser95 on January 20, 2018, 06:11:23 am
Not quite sure where you picked all that out of the air, but as a Kirby fan obviously I'm routing for them. But, as a fan of the game in general I was making an observation that the Region 1 winner will have a different route to the State Finals as the Region 2 winner. Who's first daunting task would be in the Semis. Of course it's me thinking highly of the Region 4 runner up and the Region 3 runner up.  You look at the state tournament bracket and tell me how it's fair a 4-4 play each other, but a 2 and a 2 must play to just go to the Quarter Finals. Sure you have to win all your games in state to be state champions, but this isn't a final 8 teams are the best 8 teams playing type situation which I think it should be. So no, as a fan of the game and an opinionated one at that. I think Omaha has their hands full and if they made it to state finals they'd be my favorite by a generous margin.

The bracket is what it is.......and you are right that you've got to win em all to be champs.   My point is, Kirby likely has the best supported, most faithful fans of any 1A school.  Year after year the fans show up, and year after year Kirby (boys) have lost their last game.  Fans go away disappointed again.   But, this year, with all the talk about move-ins and with probably the best guard (coach's son) in 1A, this is their best chance to finally win it all.....but to be disappointed yet again, and this time by a "one time wonder" season by Omaha would be hard to swallow for Kirby fans.   I think that it would be easier to take if they lose to Guy or County Line, but to finally see the finish line and be stopped by an Omaha would be tough. 

BannerChaser95

January 21, 2018, 09:36:03 am #77 Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:39:57 am by BannerChaser95
Quote from: yesteryearman on January 21, 2018, 06:27:59 am
The bracket is what it is.......and you are right that you've got to win em all to be champs.   My point is, Kirby likely has the best supported, most faithful fans of any 1A school.  Year after year the fans show up, and year after year Kirby (boys) have lost their last game.  Fans go away disappointed again.   But, this year, with all the talk about move-ins and with probably the best guard (coach's son) in 1A, this is their best chance to finally win it all.....but to be disappointed yet again, and this time by a "one time wonder" season by Omaha would be hard to swallow for Kirby fans.   I think that it would be easier to take if they lose to Guy or County Line, but to finally see the finish line and be stopped by an Omaha would be tough.
Id be lying to you if I was to say I was ever Dissapointed, are we upset? Sure we are, don't know anyone who doesn't feel bad for the boys. Kirby teams this year have beat teams all around, Centerpoint, Caddo, Prescott, Nashville, Mt Ida, Blevins and more. They've played local teams well. I couldn't be happier for them, and if by chance Kirby were to make it to Morrilton and lose to an Omaha. I'd be upset for the boys, for a great coach and a great person in coach smith. But you're putting words in our mouth because I couldn't imagine a Kirby fan saying "I'm just dissipointed." Never have I ever heard another fan at a state tournament say "wow that team doesn't play very hard". They show up, they give their effort. None of us are disappointed they're not winning state titles every other season. They're good basketball players and we all know that lol Omaha is hving a heck of a season. We shall see how this plays out.

SackAttack

Hey just win your first game at regionals lose the next to on almost purpose and you too can go to the Class A state tournament! Good grief what a travesty we make out of competition these days

HorseFeathers

Quote from: SackAttack on January 21, 2018, 03:57:48 pm
Hey just win your first game at regionals lose the next to on almost purpose and you too can go to the Class A state tournament! Good grief what a travesty we make out of competition these days

Coaches losing games on purpose shouldn't be coaches

SackAttack

Quote from: HorseFeathers on January 21, 2018, 03:59:13 pm
Coaches losing games on purpose shouldn't be coaches
I agree but it happens to an extent!! It's the system that the AAA created

dunkman

Great article in the Northwest Arkansas Gazette today on Matlock.  For those who don't have opportunity to paper there is also on line youtube video of part of the interview and live game frontage this pass week. Matlock poured in 35 points Friday night against Kingston to finish up conference championship. Great to see some 1A talent getting some attention, wish that happened more often. Paper did also bring out he is 4.0 student and has aspirations of becoming a Dentist. Wow this kids got it going on!!!!!

HorseFeathers

Eagle_Mom_2

Quote from: dunkman on February 04, 2018, 04:17:08 pm
Great article in the Northwest Arkansas Gazette today on Matlock.  For those who don't have opportunity to paper there is also on line youtube video of part of the interview and live game frontage this pass week. Matlock poured in 35 points Friday night against Kingston to finish up conference championship. Great to see some 1A talent getting some attention, wish that happened more often. Paper did also bring out he is 4.0 student and has aspirations of becoming a Dentist. Wow this kids got it going on!!!!!

Dunk man reads the paper more than anyone I know of. I don't know if he watches many games, always reports on what he reads in the paper.
However, I have heard throughout the year this kid is the real deal. Nebraska is a little far out of the way for me to drive but hoping to see this kid play in state tournament. Dunk man or anyone up that way read anything in the paper 😉 about where he might be going to school? Has he decided?

dunkman

I do love to read the paper and keep up with the kids across the state. I have seen Omaha play couple times and try to keep up with them on facebook. Articles speaks of 3 colleges and then just NAIA schools and NCAA D II schools. I have no idea if he has made a decision yet. I heard that Drury University out of Springfield MO has been down a few times watching him and this past week Northeastern State University in Oklahoma was at the Decatur game. Both these would be NCAA DII schools. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: dunkman on February 04, 2018, 05:04:19 pm
I do love to read the paper and keep up with the kids across the state. I have seen Omaha play couple times and try to keep up with them on facebook. Articles speaks of 3 colleges and then just NAIA schools and NCAA D II schools. I have no idea if he has made a decision yet. I heard that Drury University out of Springfield MO has been down a few times watching him and this past week Northeastern State University in Oklahoma was at the Decatur game. Both these would be NCAA DII schools. 

Believe NorthArk is only official offer he has right now?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas