• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chucktown

Started by 4real, January 09, 2018, 10:54:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4real

OK, what's the deal? Where are all the Charleston posters at these days?  Not trying to start any trash, just curious why I can't find anything to read on here about the Tigers?
Thought Ross, Rucker and Co. had some decent teams this year?  How are they doing?

501Arkansas

Good question I haven't heard anything about chucktown this year. I know they are 6-4 and played tonight. I don't know if they won tonight or not.

4real

I still hear crickets...

C'mon Chucktown folks. Remember, before that 91 team, you were a basketball school in reputation.  Let's get some updates on the State of the Tiger address.  I know you guys have good teams in both girls and boys.  Maybe not state title contenders, but definitely solid teams.  So, you've lost a handful of boys and girls games, but those were to quality teams, often in larger classifications.
Are you too busy working on your outside shot, so you don't have to drive in the lane with Coach Storey waiting on you while hoopin it up in the old gym on a Sunday evening?
Seriously, how's the chemistry working out for the new look Tigers and Lady Tigers?  Has Ross and Rucker got any entertainment worthy T's?  Maybe the Paris games will help you guys remember what's important here... talkin bout those Tigers!

Ctucker

They only post if their teams Is revilant!

4real

Quote from: Ctucker on January 10, 2018, 02:10:00 pm
They only post if their teams Is revilant!
revilant...
isn't that the movie with Leo Dicaprio that's a remake about a man surviving back in the olden days?

Ctucker

I'm sure I messed spelled but I think you know what I mean!

4real

Quote from: Ctucker on January 10, 2018, 02:53:48 pm
I'm sure I messed spelled but I think you know what I mean!
LOL  YUP! 

501Arkansas

Are they still down from that Osceola lost in football?

4real

They are too proud to go down like that baby!  Tradition doesn't die baby.

I got a feeling Friday's showcase with Paris will get some tiger folk riled up!  If not,  I may have to offer a $50 gift card good at Kats Kitchen, or if you like pizza, I'll throw in a $50 Steffey's card! 

4real

Not even any Paris folks or Lamar folks chiming in...
has an emp hit that didn't affect the rest of the RV?

Anyway, anybody know the name of the restaurant on the east end of town, on the southside of hwy 22?  That place has some great chili cheese and bacon fries.

lostintheweeds

Are you thinking of MainStreet BBQ?

I think we are still learning what we have tbh - and they are learning each other.  The girls are deep, and are probably farther ahead in the learning curve having returned most of their depth, and they have added some excellent young talent.
The boys had to replace more personnel, and I wasn't sure what to expect. But with a close loss to Bryant in the Coke Classic, as well as a win over Jessieville on a neutral court, they've proven they can compete.

4real

Quote from: lostintheweeds on January 12, 2018, 12:46:52 pm
Are you thinking of MainStreet BBQ?

I think we are still learning what we have tbh - and they are learning each other.  The girls are deep, and are probably farther ahead in the learning curve having returned most of their depth, and they have added some excellent young talent.
The boys had to replace more personnel, and I wasn't sure what to expect. But with a close loss to Bryant in the Coke Classic, as well as a win over Jessieville on a neutral court, they've proven they can compete.
Thanks man.  What i expected to hear.  Just glad to hear something.  I need your address to forward the gift certificate.  Maybe I could talk Coach Terry and Billy Jack to bring back their BBQ catering operation for you. :)

lostintheweeds

LOL, I appreciate the thought... but can't give up my annual New Year weight loss failure quite yet.
Hoping for a good game tonight!  Go Tigers!

4real

We should get an interview with one of the greatest Tiger ball players and coaches ever, Randy Terry, and get some excitement back on the boards.
Miss watching that man coach.  What a difference he made not only in developing good players into great teams, but the impact he had on becoming a strong young men.  If he had been a more politically motivated person, the entire state would know more about that guy in a positive way.

AlumniLights

Without a doubt the biggest impact on me as a player and young adult was Coach Terry. He'd ride you every day and push you until you wanted to go to blows, but he knew what he was doing. He was perhaps the smartest person I have ever met. If you took a charge, you'd have a chocolate milk shake waiting on you in his office the next day. He did a lot with not a lot in the years of 05-08, and that's where I gained a lot of respect for him. Great person with a great family. The relationship he has with his players and how he brings his wife into the mix breeds a family atmosphere you can't touch. Here's to RT!!

4real

Quote from: AlumniLights on January 12, 2018, 04:33:36 pm
Without a doubt the biggest impact on me as a player and young adult was Coach Terry. He'd ride you every day and push you until you wanted to go to blows, but he knew what he was doing. He was perhaps the smartest person I have ever met. If you took a charge, you'd have a chocolate milk shake waiting on you in his office the next day. He did a lot with not a lot in the years of 05-08, and that's where I gained a lot of respect for him. Great person with a great family. The relationship he has with his players and how he brings his wife into the mix breeds a family atmosphere you can't touch. Here's to RT!!
I got fired up reading this! Then I got hacked... I tried to give you enough claps to help you break even, and I forgot that we can only do one per day. So, I salute you and will give you many claps one day at a time.

I listened to a conversation Coach Terry was having with Bill Taylor of BIC at the All star practice the year James Anderson put on a show. Side note, watched James nail 7 jump shots from the Hogs tail in a row after that practice. He was the real deal.  Anyway, after hearing Randy quiz Taylor about how to attack these various defenses and how to adjust defenses with various offensive attacks, Bill looked like a SPED kid in an AP Chemistry class.  Bill admitted Randy was one of the smartest coaches he' Ever seen. He also had a couple of alum years in mid 90's talent wise.  Him and his wife are the very best. I hate to think about some of the butt clowns, and self righteous coaches who win and talent alone having rings and Randy having missed out as a player and a coach. I was sick for him when VJ hit that shot after the whistle, and when Verkamp hit the floor and got staples/stitches, and when Jeff and that bunch couldn't hold off Taylor's BIC run.

AlumniLights

I will applaud that as well! He was able to adapt to the talent he had. Albeit he had extraordinary talent with VJ and on through the early 2000's. But it was his years when he battled with his wife's cancer, a 5-19 season in 05-06, some 15 wins in 06-07, then in 07-08 I think Chuck eclipsed 20 wins but those were the three years he did not make it to the state tournament. However, he has always been a winner in my book regardless of the W/L he accumulated those years.  I just happened to be in the stands at Danville when VJ hit the shot after the whistle against Marked Tree, I was a wee lad. I also remember at the old NEWARK gym when they went into overtime against Pangburn after Robinson tipped that 3 pointer, only to have the guy throw it back up. Great memories! Just happy I got to be influenced by someone like RT.

4real

Idoknow

Quote from: 4real on January 12, 2018, 07:47:28 pm
I got fired up reading this! Then I got hacked... I tried to give you enough claps to help you break even, and I forgot that we can only do one per day. So, I salute you and will give you many claps one day at a time.

I listened to a conversation Coach Terry was having with Bill Taylor of BIC at the All star practice the year James Anderson put on a show. Side note, watched James nail 7 jump shots from the Hogs tail in a row after that practice. He was the real deal.  Anyway, after hearing Randy quiz Taylor about how to attack these various defenses and how to adjust defenses with various offensive attacks, Bill looked like a SPED kid in an AP Chemistry class.  Bill admitted Randy was one of the smartest coaches he' Ever seen. He also had a couple of alum years in mid 90's talent wise.  Him and his wife are the very best. I hate to think about some of the butt clowns, and self righteous coaches who win and talent alone having rings and Randy having missed out as a player and a coach. I was sick for him when VJ hit that shot after the whistle, and when Verkamp hit the floor and got staples/stitches, and when Jeff and that bunch couldn't hold off Taylor's BIC run.
One every hour!

AT

Love reading these Charleston stories. You guys keep them coming.

Chucktown vs. Hillbillies tonight. Not sure you'll find a better doubleheader in this part of the state. Not small schools at least. Both could be great games.

Charleston is excited for the challenge. I got a sense that the players are anxious, but ready today.

AT

Girls

Ozark - 7
Charleston - 9

end of 1st

AT

Girls

Ozark - 14
Charleston - 13

Halftime

Both teams cold from the field in the first half.

AT

Girls

Ozark - 22
Charleston - 24

end of 3rd

AT

Girls

Ozark - 34
Charleston - 34

end of Regulation

AT

Girls

Ozark - 48
Charleston - 37

Final/OT

NEA Razorback olfan

lostintheweeds

Charleston boys up on Ozark 34-28 at the half.

lostintheweeds

Quote from: lostintheweeds on January 16, 2018, 08:49:21 pm
Charleston boys up on Ozark 34-28 at the half.

Charleston boys win 59-55 over Ozark.

4real

Nice job bringing guys, even if it's not Dynasty, or other devoted Tiger brethren. Split for the Franklin Co shootout

4real

Seriously, is Dynasty OK?  Haven't heard that guy on here in forever.  He is the epitomy of a proud Tiger, win or lose, up or down, thick or thin.  That guy was one of those guys like a Christian Laettner, maybe not in the way of being the best player, but someone who could hit a big shot, challenge and fire up teammates, and make the folks from Lavaca madder than a wet hen...

4real

Seriously, Dynasty was a blast to watch as a player and fan.  Wish that guy was still on here.

lostintheweeds

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:53:32 am
Seriously, Dynasty was a blast to watch as a player and fan.  Wish that guy was still on here.

I saw him at the game last night. Looked to me like he could still suit up and play if called upon.

The Dynasty

Quote from: 4real on January 17, 2018, 09:47:55 am
Seriously, is Dynasty OK?  Haven't heard that guy on here in forever.  He is the epitomy of a proud Tiger, win or lose, up or down, thick or thin.  That guy was one of those guys like a Christian Laettner, maybe not in the way of being the best player, but someone who could hit a big shot, challenge and fire up teammates, and make the folks from Lavaca madder than a wet hen...

KLA 4 Life!

4real

Quote from: The Dynasty on January 17, 2018, 02:53:42 pm
KLA 4 Life!
WOooo.  I can hear the Nature Boy call right now baby!  Jeez, it was a lot of fun listening to Lavaca folk talk about how ya'll cheated at everything.  The Lamar folk, last few years have tried to imitate the Lavaca rivalry.  But, its just not the same.
Does Charleston still have a great elementary program?  I'm sure they do.

lostintheweeds

We host Booneville tonight, and then the boys go to Subi on Saturday.
The Booneville boys are playing well, so I'm expecting another good contest.

4real

Quote from: lostintheweeds on January 18, 2018, 12:51:10 pm
We host Booneville tonight, and then the boys go to Subi on Saturday.
The Booneville boys are playing well, so I'm expecting another good contest.
Should be competitive. 

lostintheweeds

Girls win by a large margin. Boys come back from a 6 point deficit at half to win by 15.

4real

Par the course then.

CoolBreeze

What happened to the Tigers? How did Subi boys beat Chuck by 19?

AT

Quote from: CoolBreeze on January 21, 2018, 01:52:55 pm

Excuses these may be, playing two of your biggest opponents in three days, beating both of them, and then getting up again on a Saturday against another solid team for the third time in five days probably took its toll.

Subi played well and just not the best set of circumstances. Hopefully they rebound from this.

4real

Maybe so, but that's also what post season tournaments are like.  Not saying the sky is falling, sometimes you need a wake up call to get the focus sharpened

AT

Quote from: 4real on January 21, 2018, 02:11:56 pm
Maybe so, but that's also what post season tournaments are like.  Not saying the sky is falling, sometimes you need a wake up call to get the focus sharpened

Good point. I think the boys will have more motivation by the time state rolls around, but playing a 4A school on a Saturday for your 3rd game of the week might have led to some weird mojo.

This game has been an exception so far for these guys and they will play 3A schools again this week, so hopefully this past week, as tough as it was, prepared them. They'll get Subi at home later and they can get revenge for that loss.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: 4real on January 21, 2018, 02:11:56 pm
But it postseason tournaments, the other teams are in the same boat.

4real

Quote from: CoolBreeze on January 22, 2018, 12:27:06 pm
But it postseason tournaments, the other teams are in the same boat.
In some post season tournaments, a top seed gets a bye.  Point is, you look at is a getting prepared

teachers pet

Jessieville has 3 games in 4 days starting tonight, it's good preparation for the playoffs.

fbisgreat

Quote from: CoolBreeze on January 21, 2018, 01:52:55 pm
It was just one of those night's Subi played really good hit about 9or10 three's and Charleston missed about 9 or 10 lay-ups or shots right under the goal.it was a really bad shooting night for the tigers.

dentist15

Quote from: 4real on January 12, 2018, 07:47:28 pm
I was sick for him when VJ hit that shot after the whistle, and when Verkamp hit the floor and got staples/stitches, and when Jeff and that bunch couldn't hold off Taylor's BIC run.

More like the refs held off the 04-05 Tigers from winning it that year. I went to dental school with a guy that was on that BIC team, and he said Charleston would've easily beaten Bigelow in the next game....

4real

Quote from: dentist15 on January 29, 2018, 09:28:24 am
More like the refs held off the 04-05 Tigers from winning it that year. I went to dental school with a guy that was on that BIC team, and he said Charleston would've easily beaten Bigelow in the next game....

very true on both arguments.

WPWells

I haven't been on here much at all since moving away, but I want to echo my praise for RT. That man was an amazing coach and mentor to me as well in my time in high school. I was on the only team that he ever took to the state championship game. But honestly, I was not even close to the best player on the team, but I'm thankful that RT still poured into me and made me feel loved and appreciated for what I did bring to the table. I excelled in the classroom, and he was always up for an intellectual conversation outside of the gym. In fact, most days I spent my lunch hour talking with him about everything from sports to politics to religion (he is a devout Catholic as well) to everything in between. I learned so much from watching him draw up new plays. He's a big reason that a shy kid with glasses gained confidence in high school. I can't say enough good things about him. I may share another story about him later.

lostintheweeds

Rematch with Subiaco planned for Saturday.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas