• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texarkana goes to Greenwood

Started by The Future, November 11, 2017, 12:31:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AT

November 15, 2017, 08:26:17 pm #50 Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:28:04 pm by Almatrackster
I wish we could all have our down years like Greenwood's down years.

That being said, I had to jog my memory on how each Greenwood team of the past has ended their season:

2013 - The heartbreaker. Pine Bluff makes a long field goal to end the streak. I remember PB had the benefit of some pass interference calls on that last drive, but Greenwood also had a touchdown at the end of the half that wasn't a touchdown. What a game.

2014 - The headscratcher. El Dorado is never to be played around with in the playoffs, but Greenwood came off a bye and lost to an El Dorado squad that didn't do much that year. I know Greenwood was unfamiliar with the bye week that year.

2015 - The one time Greenwood isn't a favorite. I'm still not sure that GW and PB were the 2 best teams in the state that year, but the more I go back and look the more someone could convince me of that.

2016 - The "other team could do no wrong". That RV QB played insane while Greenwood couldn't catch anything that day.

Strange to see them lose these games, but they'll right the ship. Probably this year.

rona

I agree, this is The Year for the Bulldogs!

The Future

It's crazy to think that its been that long since Greenwood has won a title looking at the quality of teams they've had. But that just goes to show how good our opponents have been I guess.

I was at all 4 of these games.  That 2013 game I felt we overlooked a bit. We had the streak. We had Home field advantage. We had Rick Jones. No way we were losing. We were already looking ahead to Eldorado and that 4 peat. I remember watching Pine Bluff warm up before the game. Boy they looked good. Then I saw their kicker. He was barely making 20 and 30 yard field goals. I told my buddy if it came down to a 3 point or less game I feel confident in our kicking game and I was sure they wouldn't rely on kicking bevause their kicker wasn't all that great. Well apparently he was yanking us. Cause when that field goal went through the uprights the whole stadium was just deflated. On one hand I was obviously disappointed we lost but I was somewhat a little glad to see the streak over. Takes some pressure off the kids and it gets rid of a huge distraction.

2014 was as you said a huge headscratcher. Greenwood on paper wins that game by 21. But Eldo came out and played their best game of the season and was up 24-0 just like that. And just like any other time Greenwood was down, there was no urgency. And that was part of the downfall that game I believe. Greenwood gets down in a game, it's all good. We can still come back.  We have time. We can do it. That mindset was present the whole time we were down. But eventually that clock runs out. Eventually you run outta time. We finally got into full gear and scored 2 late scores to come within 10. We had it going. Just ran out of time. We had the we still got time mindset the whole time. We just kicked started it too late. I believe had we had one more quarter we woulda won. I know also that years group got a lot of bad wraps due to only 7 wins and no playoff wins. First time since 03 I believe we didn't win a playoff game. But that years group was great and had plenty of talent. Eldo just came out and played their hearts out and wanted it more.

2015 was simple. Pine Bluff was the best team in 6A. Hands down. I knew that game was gonna be great. Being down 7 at half I was feelin pretty good. We were hanging with them. Then that second half was just nuts. No scores at all. One of the few few times I've disagreed with a Jones decision. I really thought we shoulda just went for it on that 4th down. If we don't get it then we still have to hold them to a three and out. Greenwood is one of the best clutch teams in the state. But either way that was a great game and no shame in losing by 7 to that great Zebra team.

2016 I really thought we could beat them. They were very good. But I kept telling myself the only reason they almost beat us during the regular season was due more to us slacking off and less them being good. At state they came out and just punched us and never let up.

I'm hoping this year we can get the job done as well. I remember giving Batesville a hard time when they went 3 straight runner ups. Maybe this would be my life giving me a bit of karma lol.
Jones can't stay at Greenwood forever. We know that. Would be nice to give him a coupon more rings before he steps down.

rona

Excellent overview. This time around Greenwood is stacked and especially on Defense. PB or ElDO will meet us in WMS. Both good Teams , but young and limited this year. GWd. By 2-3 TDs in Championship Game.

WeRFootball

It makes me laugh when I hear how the Greenwood defense has carried the team all year.  It's crazy to think that when your offense is leading 6A in scoring eith an average of 42 a game.  Can not win a game with only defense nor can you win a game with only offense. 

PrivateLesson

Quote from: The Future on November 15, 2017, 09:03:37 pm

Jones can't stay at Greenwood forever. We know that. Would be nice to give him a coupon more rings before he steps down.
Coupon??   ;D    I know Greenwood has money to pay for those rings!   :) 

Greenwood will defeat Texarkana but I'm a little concerned if G plays PB.   That team is always scary.   

The Future

Haha!! Classic! I hate to be the guy who blames autocorrect but it was definitely autocorrect!  I usually catch mistakes like that lol.

And yea Pine Bluff is definitely a team that no matter how good you are you can not overlook any aspect of them.

Pr8hd

November 16, 2017, 07:49:25 pm #57 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:01:41 pm by Pr8hd
My .02 cents on the the last 4 runs at a title....

2013- Heartbreaker

Group had mediocre results in earlier ranks. Pretty appropriate moniker. GW up by 11 in the 4th qtr is almost $ in the bank, but GW had played with karma a few times (SS & Conway both last second wins on FG) that year and been on the winning side. This time they were on the losing end of a last second FG. PB's youth played well, and GW's experience faltered at the end. If it had gone to OT, I would have liked our chances, but it should not have gotten to that point. PB kicker (who signed with Purdue) made a heckuva kick. The streak was over, but it would have ended in 2014 anyway.  Sr group left with 2 titles and a crazy 40-1 record that record cannot be touched even if this 2017 version wins it all. 98% winning percentage.

2014-Underachiever

Group was very successful in earlier ranks. Lots of things went on behind the scenes before/during the season, that I am not going to talk about. Senior leadership was not strong on or off the field though. Not enough focus on the team concept. Many had gotten complacent from the 2012 title and many who should have still been playing  that could have contributed had quit. They destroyed the 6A teams they had faced until ED came in off the bye. GW tried to mail it in and ED came to play. Not the first time that season GW spotted a team several TD's and tried to come back in the end (LR Catholic comes to mind). They had too many going both ways, with some injuries. It was a very strange year lots of things that were different that year, which had not been that way in years past, nor have they been since that year. At best,  they were a semi's team likely. Instead, they gave CRJ most losses of any other team in his tenure at GW , least amount of wins at 7-4, and a team without a single playoff win.  However, this sr. group was the last group that left with rings though from 2012 title and had a  33-5 overall record  or 87 % winning percentage as a class.

2015-Overachiever

This group reminded me of the 2004 group- Jones first. Both groups had little success in the early ranks as a class, but played well as a team with really good leadership as seniors with good supporting classes. Also, like 2004, they both ran into superior athletic teams in the finals and played close, but lost. In 2015, coaches figured out we could not  have as many go both ways in 6A and developed some depth. Still believe other than PB and GW, the 6A was way down this year and even the 7A teams in their conference were not as good (Conway, Bryant, LRC, Southside, Northside all not that good or as good as they were in 2014). Best team in 6A won it that year as the PB Sophs. of 2013 had reached their full potential and defended the title in the closest game they had been played all year. GW was not the favorite this year despite what some might have said or thought. Thought PB made the adjustments needed at half that year in title game and GW did not. First sr. group (since that same 2004 group) under CRJ that graduated with no titles or rings. 31-6 overall record as a class and 84% winning percentage.

2016-Headscratcher

May not be a completely fair name, but most thought the championship was GW's to lose, so to come up short was a bit of an underachievement. This group was deep, very successful in earlier ranks. They definitely  were the favorites, should have won it all, and was very surprised they did not. I cannot explain what happened on this one. Their loss in the title game felt similar to the loss in the 2013 semi game to PB only it did not come down to a last second play and title was on the line. Russ played excellent to their strength and GW did not play to their potential. The weather did not help that day, first time CRJ failed to control the weather (inside joke), but Russ handled it just fine. On a personal note, first time I missed a title game GW played in since 2000 and it was because of the lousy weather.  Hales being hurt down the stretch I think hurt GW. He basically was unable to throw with shoulder issue from about week 7 or 8 thru rest of year. That injury IMO changed the dynamics up that year of what had been pretty successful earlier with both QB's alternating series.  31-6 overall record as a class and 84% winning percentage.

2017-?
<To be decided>

maxswine

I know one of the media guys that covered the state title game last year for Russellville.  He told me after he did an interview with Billy Dawson, he was about to leave when Dawson told him they would win.  His quote, "We are better than they are."
I admit, I didn't believe that when I heard it.  But turns out, he was right.

Seems like a collision course for Greenwood and Pine Bluff this year.  But I bet El Dorado may have something to say about that.

Pr8hd

Quote from: maxswine on November 16, 2017, 09:36:27 pm
I know one of the media guys that covered the state title game last year for Russellville.  He told me after he did an interview with Billy Dawson, he was about to leave when Dawson told him they would win.  His quote, "We are better than they are."

No offense, I don't think they were better...they were just better on that night and that's all it takes.

Personally, I would believe GW wins that match-up at a high percentage if you play out of 10 times, but again just takes 1 to take home the hardware.

In the regular season match-up, GW was in control from the onset and let off the gas late to let Russ close the gap in that one. Sometimes we have gone to a play not to lose  conservative approach and it bites us (see 2013 PB semi game in the 4th qtr and I thought in might in the PB semi in 2016 as well). I never felt like in the first match-up that their QB and tall receiver could get on track. In the second match-up those 2 controlled the game.

Russ and staff used that game to develop a better game plan, and played excellent. GW played more like they did in the 4th qtr of the regular season match-up and less like the first 3 qtrs that they fully controlled.

GW went all in on the PB game in the semi's on their side then came out like they had already played for the title and forgot that Russ wasn't just going to hand them the title because they had beat them once before.

I had Russ pegged as the sleeper team to look out for in the playoffs and I was right.

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 11, 2016, 09:34:34 am
I'd say Russellville, but I am not sure based on their success this year they are a really a "sleeper" pick.

6ASOUTHPURPLECAT

November 17, 2017, 12:04:56 am #60 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:06:45 am by 6ASOUTHPURPLECAT
Quote from: Pr8hd on November 16, 2017, 07:49:25 pm
My .02 cents on the the last 4 runs at a title....

2013- Heartbreaker

Group had mediocre results in earlier ranks. Pretty appropriate moniker. GW up by 11 in the 4th qtr is almost $ in the bank, but GW had played with karma a few times (SS & Conway both last second wins on FG) that year and been on the winning side. This time they were on the losing end of a last second FG. PB's youth played well, and GW's experience faltered at the end. If it had gone to OT, I would have liked our chances, but it should not have gotten to that point. PB kicker (who signed with Purdue) made a heckuva kick. The streak was over, but it would have ended in 2014 anyway.  Sr group left with 2 titles and a crazy 40-1 record that record cannot be touched even if this 2017 version wins it all. 98% winning percentage.

Ironically the PB kicker that beat you guys was a transfer from Eldo.  His Mom moved to Pine Bluff area to work and he went with her to school.  LOL

catfish1

maxswine

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 16, 2017, 10:53:31 pm
No offense, I don't think they were better...they were just better on that night and that's all it takes.

None taken. It was a quote from Dawson. 

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: TTofGreenwood on November 15, 2017, 07:44:17 pm
Did I read that the Browning kid isn't playing this Friday?

he's not at QB anymore...but i haven't seen where he's not playing at all. 

The Future

Safe travels to the Texarkana team, cheer squads, band, and fans who are making the trip.
Hope you all enjoy your stay at Smith Robinson.

Pr8hd

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 17, 2017, 05:40:51 pm
Texarkana stream away games?

nope.  i'm listening online. 
7-0 greenwood. mid first qtr.

The Future

14-0 Greenwood
4:16 left in first half.

This stadium with the exception of the two scores is too quiet...

Texarkana_Piggie

38-0 greenwood. 8:19 to go. Mercy rule in effect when play resumes.

Baitshop

Greenwood's defense starting to separate the Bulldog's from the rest of the field....

Texarkana_Piggie

Ballgame. Congrats greenwood. Go win it all.

Pr8hd

November 17, 2017, 09:36:50 pm #71 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:02:27 am by Pr8hd
Nice job Hogs, hung tough and never quit. Best of luck in 5A next year. I am sure PA will get a run for their money with you all down there next year and what you have coming back. A great year under new coach.

Congrats to the Dogs ! CRJ  has guided GW to semi finals appearance or better 12 out of 14 years another amazing stat. Always blessed when you get to practice on Thanksgiving.

The Future

Even though the score don't show it, that was a good game.
Texarkana always battles hard and never quits.
Good luck next season down in 5A. Go take that title from PA!! Lol

I hit on this earlier. Was this just the quietest Greenwood home game in recent history or was it just me?? Just kinda seemed like we were excited yea but had gone days without sleep and just kinda woohooed our way through the game.

Pr8hd

Quote from: The Future on November 17, 2017, 10:15:14 pm
Even though the score don't show it, that was a good game.
Texarkana always battles hard and never quits.
Good luck next season down in 5A. Go take that title from PA!! Lol

I hit on this earlier. Was this just the quietest Greenwood home game in recent history or was it just me?? Just kinda seemed like we were excited yea but had gone days without sleep and just kinda woohooed our way through the game.

Crowd had the BYE week hangover, ironically similar crowd in 2014 ED after bye. Think the fans mailed it in and assumed GW would win.....going to need everyone next week to be loud and get into the game. They need to not watch the Hog game earlier, that will just put you in a foul mood likely and make you in a stupor from the leftover turkey sammiches full of tryptophan (actually a myth but sounds good).

High Voltage

Quote from: WeRFootball on November 16, 2017, 07:02:53 am
It makes me laugh when I hear how the Greenwood defense has carried the team all year.  It's crazy to think that when your offense is leading 6A in scoring eith an average of 42 a game.  Can not win a game with only defense nor can you win a game with only offense. 
Hmmmmmm, and the defense is the best in 6A!

Trojan

Quote from: bulldogger15 on November 13, 2017, 02:53:31 pm
Not this year. No one will beat the Greenwood Bulldogs! I'm already getting the trailer out so I can start working on the championship parade float.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Pr8hd

November 17, 2017, 10:44:41 pm #76 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 07:31:16 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: High Voltage on November 17, 2017, 10:31:37 pm

Earlier in the year I would have said the offense would lead the team, but man the defense has been very impressive. Kudos to Coach Chick/Gill and the players. After tonight. they have given up an incredible 10.9 ppg thru 11 games. That's outstanding and that 2000 team may have some company in the best defense category/talk for sure. Reality is the ppg allowed is even lower because many of the points GW has given up has been to the backups in mop up duty. Likely, it's actually single digits in points allowed per game, but on the record books its a little higher. Still very, very stout. An opponents margin of error with GW is even lower with a defense like that.  Only way you win is maybe keeping GW to 2-3 scores which is tough to ask most teams. Alma scored the most points on them all year and I would not have thought that.

Offensively, Wood has been a workhorse all year. Think he gets lost in the spotlight sometimes because most think we are a pass first spread team but we are really well balanced most nights. Noland, Holt, Oline all been solid....receivers thought would be their biggest strength have struggled at times.

Trojan

I was on the GW sideline a couple of weeks ago. I have played several sports at many levels and have never witnessed the arrogance and bad sportsmanship I witnessed that night . From the coaching staff to the majority of players. With a three touchdown lead in the forth quarter, the coaches continued to whine about something every other play. Right in front of where I was standing a GW player pulled his helmet off on the field. When the official made him leave the field for a play, the coaches started telling the official the a player from the other team pulled the kids helmet off and "swung" at him. This was a lie, and they all knew it was. I have really enjoyed watching them play the last few years, but they lost a fan by what I witnessed that night. I would be happy if they never won anogame, until their attitude changes. Totally Classless. I have watched several games this year. I predict Pine Bluff will beat them by at least two touchdowns. They Will be out coached and out classed

Baitshop

Quote from: Trojan on November 17, 2017, 10:55:23 pm
I was on the GW sideline a couple of weeks ago. I have played several sports at many levels and have never witnessed the arrogance and bad sportsmanship I witnessed that night . From the coaching staff to the majority of players. With a three touchdown lead in the forth quarter, the coaches continued to whine about something every other play. Right in front of where I was standing a GW player pulled his helmet off on the field. When the official made him leave the field for a play, the coaches started telling the official the a player from the other team pulled the kids helmet off and "swung" at him. This was a lie, and they all knew it was. I have really enjoyed watching them play the last few years, but they lost a fan by what I witnessed that night. I would be happy if they never won anogame, until their attitude changes. Totally Classless. I have watched several games this year. I predict Pine Bluff will beat them by at least two touchdowns. They Will be out coached and out classed

LOL....you need to go get you a ham sammich and some redbull, the blue storm is about roll in on you...

Jeep71

Baitshop

Quote from: Jeep71 on November 17, 2017, 11:16:06 pm
The creepers are back ::)

Really? I haven't seen Bulldogger15 or bulldogfan44 all nite...

Not to worry, we both know that they will show up soon and prove me right.

Pr8hd

November 17, 2017, 11:21:38 pm #81 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:27:23 pm by Pr8hd

Someone got their feelings hurt at LH a few weeks back, I think? That game seemed pretty chippy on both sides. I will get you started off with a good smack on the bottom though.... Welcome to the board  ;)

Unfortunately, I don't think you will get your wish about GW not winning another game. As for some of the rest, GW and their coaches are not complacent that's why they win, because coaches expect their kids to execute every play, every second till the end when the final seconds tick off. Yes, even with a 3 score lead they don't expect their kids to stop executing no matter if its the first team or the backups. So, it's not uncommon for them to stop coaching, stop yelling, etc.  Don't know about the helmet thing, but as said it was chippy all night on both sides and on a football field lots of things happen- spitting, grabbing, pinching, etc. (esp out of frustration)  that goes unnoticed by refs, coaches and sideline spectators who see one thing, but not the whole story.

GW has plenty of bandwagon fans according to many on the board, so one less will not upset the cart. Relax, it's round ball time for you all and if its the same to you, will still play out the rest of the games to see how the chips fall.

AT

That's the "Rick Jones rematch" results I'm used to seeing. Russellville rematch was an anomaly.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Baitshop on November 17, 2017, 11:10:57 pm
LOL....you need to go get you a ham sammich and some redbull, the blue storm is about roll in on you...

+1  ;D

Pr8hd

November 17, 2017, 11:42:04 pm #84 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:32:36 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Almatrackster on November 17, 2017, 11:23:38 pm
That's the "Rick Jones rematch" results I'm used to seeing. Russellville rematch was an anomaly.

It wasn't as pretty though as score might show, very sluggish offensively I thought in first few quarters. Defense played well start to finish. Survive and advance- pretty or not pretty. So many West teams went out tonight, feeling a little lonely now with so many gone.

See you guys had a basketball game in Alma with all the points put up. If only Alma would show up for the first half like they did all year in the second half, they could have likely punched a ticket to the title game they way they storm back in the second half. I really thought Alma would win that one tonight.

AT

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 17, 2017, 11:42:04 pm
It wasn't as pretty though as score might show, very sluggish offensively I thought in first few quarters. Defense played well start to finish. Survive and advance- pretty or not pretty. So may West teams went out tonight, feeling a little lonely now with so many gone.

See you guys had a basketball game in Alma with all the points put up. If only Alma would show up for the first half like they did all year in the second half, they could have been likely punched a ticket to the title game. I really thought Alma would win that one tonight.

I thought we would too until I saw McClellan averaged over 300 pounds on the O-Line and were a rich man's Clarksville. Our offense almost went tic for tac with them and our defense almost made enough timely plays.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 18, 2017, 12:05:39 am
I thought we would too until I saw McClellan averaged over 300 pounds on the O-Line and were a rich man's Clarksville. 

+1 this cracked me up...

AHS06

This game went as expected.  With the changes in our offense, we knew there would be a struggle on that side of the ball.  The game played out similar to the first meeting and the game was better than the final score.  Good Luck against PB if you make it by Searcy.

Good season Hogs.  6-6 record, beat Texas High,  and losing to GW in the playoffs is not bad with a first year coach after many suffering seasons.  We all know around here you have to do at least one win state or beat Texas.  Down to 5A we go for at least one cycle.

Pr8hd

Quote from: AHS06 on November 18, 2017, 05:37:05 am
This game went as expected.  With the changes in our offense, we knew there would be a struggle on that side of the ball.  The game played out similar to the first meeting and the game was better than the final score.  Good Luck against PB if you make it by Searcy.

GW gets WM @ home and PB gets Searcy...expect both will be good games.

AHS06

Quote from: Pr8hd on November 18, 2017, 07:03:50 am
GW gets WM @ home and PB gets Searcy...expect both will be good games.
You're right! Interesting games with two new teams in the semi's.

Hogman2018

Im proud of my boys from Texarkana they had a decent year! With 19 starters back and going to 5A Iooking for great things next year! Greenwood  is on a total different level than everyon else right now!!  People just dont know how good there defense is! I met some very nice people at the game last night with a lot of class from Greenwood! Good Luck Bullgogs rest of the year! P S everyone except Bulldogger15 has CLASS!!

WeRFootball

Quote from: High Voltage on November 17, 2017, 10:31:37 pm
Yep that's my point. Takes both sides of the ball

WeRFootball

Apparently you did not see what happened... we all could see him take a swing at our #53 after ripping at his fm.  Go back and watch some tape on the game if you care to know the truth.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Hogman2018 on November 18, 2017, 08:32:58 am
Im proud of my boys from Texarkana they had a decent year! With 19 starters back and going to 5A Iooking for great things next year! Greenwood  is on a total different level than everyon else right now!!  People just dont know how good there defense is! I met some very nice people at the game last night with a lot of class from Greenwood! Good Luck Bullgogs rest of the year! P S everyone except Bulldogger15 has CLASS!!
Have a happy Thanksgiving HogGirl2018! Good luck in 5A.

By the way, your Razorslaps sucked last night and were DOMINATED!!! Is that more like it?

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Hogman2018

You suck!! What a classy guy! What an idiot

AT

Something that tells me how explosive the Alma offense was this year: Alma with 28 points has still been the most points scored on Greenwood this year.

RD™

Quote from: Almatrackster on November 18, 2017, 02:39:13 pm
Something that tells me how explosive the Alma offense was this year: Alma with 28 points has still been the most points scored on Greenwood this year.
Tells me how watered down and bad the 6A is too. 5A/6A need to combine.

rona

Heard possibility that top 16 from 5-A will join 6-A. Top 16 in 4-A would join 5-A, etc. etc.. They would leave 7-A alone. Then drop the As down one with highest Classifiation being 6-A. Someone floated this idea recently???

RD™

Quote from: rona on November 18, 2017, 06:22:25 pm
Heard possibility that top 16 from 5-A will join 6-A. Top 16 in 4-A would join 5-A, etc. etc.. They would leave 7-A alone. Then drop the As down one with highest Classifiation being 6-A. Someone floated this idea recently???

So it would be
-Jonesboro
-West Memphis
-Benton
-Russellville
-Lake Hamilton
-El Dorado
-Siloam Springs
-Sylvan HIlls
-Marion
-Sheridan
-Pine Bluff