• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want Kevin Kelley to be the head coach of the Razorbacks

Started by Mijally2, October 04, 2017, 07:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 09:48:10 pm
Is it me or what?   It just seems wrong that Arkansas coaches and players are being successful at Auburn and out of state coaches and AD's are not being successful here in Arkansas.

It's not just you. Fire BB! Of course, half the state is still mad at Gus for some odd reason. So we can't hire him. It would be divided just like when Nutt was here.

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 09:40:10 pm
Haha true. Or when PA changed to dry uniforms because they didn't wanna be all wet and cold.

That's coaching.....
Always looking for an advantage that is within the rules.

For the record, I find myself agreeing with many of your posts of late. When you are being objective about a topic you are, well, dare I say, reasonable and pretty spot on?

I wish you knew the pain saying that causes me.... :)

PA Dad

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 04, 2017, 10:06:09 pm
That's coaching.....

For the record, I find myself agreeing with many of your posts of late. When you are being objective about a topic you are, well, dare I say, reasonable and pretty spot on?

Geez, Yellowcake, are you going to encourage him?

Mijally2

Bielema is done as far as Texas recruiting. 13 players including 2 kickers on the current roster is not going to cut it. Innovative spread offensive minded coach who will throw to athletic receivers and Texas 5 star receivers and QB's will sign with Arkansas. Kelley is Bobby Petrino with ethics 

Lefefe123#

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 10:14:40 pm
Bielema is done as far as Texas recruiting. 13 players including 2 kickers on the current roster is not going to cut it. Innovative spread offensive minded coach who will throw to athletic receivers and Texas 5 star receivers and QB's will sign with Arkansas. Kelley is Bobby Petrino with ethics

Agreed

Chief_Osceola™

Two things:

1.) I could see Coach Kelley have success at the college level, especially somewhere like Arkansas where he's not gonna have the best athletes year in and year out.  He does it right now at PA in a conference full of athletes, most of which are on the other sideline every Friday night.

2.) I never wanted Bielema at Arkansas.  I thought he was a huge douchy blowhard at Wisconsin.  One time in particular prior to playing FSU in the Champs Sports Bowl, he bad-mouthed Coach Bowden and the FSU players all week leading up to the game, and then the 'Noles proceeded to beat Wiscy 40-something to 14 or something like that.  I never liked the guy after that.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 04, 2017, 10:06:09 pm
That's coaching.....

I appreciate that, and I'm sure I can guess the pain and humility it took to say that about me, of all people.

Really though, I just like to get some of y'all fired up sometimes. I don't think I'm too bad of a person.. You PA fans are getting harder and harder to do that to these days though. Gotta find some others.

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 10:08:55 pm
Geez, Yellowcake, are you going to encourage him?

That's just what I needed!

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 10:25:31 pm
I appreciate that, and I'm sure I can guess the pain and humility it took to say that about me, of all people.

Really though, I just like to get some of y'all fired up sometimes. I don't think I'm too bad of a person.. You PA fans are getting harder and harder to do that to these days though. Gotta find some others.

That's just what I needed!

MDX, I love needling you (and you've tormented me many times) but you are a thoughtful poster and I admire that.  It just too bad that you're usually wrong!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 10:29:08 pm
MDX, I love needling you (and you've tormented me many times) but you are a thoughtful poster and I admire that.  It just too bad that you're usually wrong!

It is fun sometimes. Y'all have some pretty decent guys posting these days and it makes the board more enjoyable.

Subjectively wrong, yes. Because you disagree with me about most things I think haha. But, obviously, I'm usually right. I'll admit, I've been wrong once or twice about something on here I'm sure. I just can't think of it right now.

Mijally2

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on October 04, 2017, 10:23:42 pm
Two things:

1.) I could see Coach Kelley have success at the college level, especially somewhere like Arkansas where he's not gonna have the best athletes year in and year out.  He does it right now at PA in a conference full of athletes, most of which are on the other sideline every Friday night.

2.) I never wanted Bielema at Arkansas.  I thought he was a huge douchy blowhard at Wisconsin.  One time in particular prior to playing FSU in the Champs Sports Bowl, he bad-mouthed Coach Bowden and the FSU players all week leading up to the game, and then the 'Noles proceeded to beat Wiscy 40-something to 14 or something like that.  I never liked the guy after that.
He did the same smart remark with Kingsbury from Texas Tech and it ticked the Texas HS coaches off. You know karma is a moron. Texas has been Arkansas's bread and butter for as long as I can remember for recruiting and now we are 9th or 10th in line. It's pathetic.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 10:34:34 pm
He did the same smart remark with Kingsbury from Texas Tech and it ticked the Texas HS coaches off. You know karma is a moron. Texas has been Arkansas's bread and butter for as long as I can remember for recruiting and now we are 9th or 10th in line. It's pathetic.

Tell us mijally, how do you really feel about BB, Arkansas, and the state of the program?

Mijally2

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 10:36:26 pm
Tell us mijally, how do you really feel about BB, Arkansas, and the state of the program?
You know I feel real good about it man. I think we got a chance to win the championship.

Intelligentsia

I'd love to see Coach K at U of A.  We'd be in the National spotlight and if he could put together a couple of winning seasons it would be great fun to watch.  The bonus, of course, would be to get him out of the 5-A!! 

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on October 04, 2017, 11:25:52 pm
I'd love to see Coach K at U of A.  We'd be in the National spotlight and if he could put together a couple of winning seasons it would be great fun to watch.  The bonus, of course, would be to get him out of the 5-A!!

Always the witty and pithy response!

You not posting enough.  I always enjoy your insight.

Grond

Very good discussion, folks.  ;)  I would love to see Kelley at the college level, just to see how he would do.

EGO OF THE COLLEGE ATHLETE
I think the real challenge for Kelley (at the UofA, or any D1) would be dealing with the typical college athlete.

On any college football team, you are dealing with young men that were probably the best player on their high school team. Consequently, it can be a real challenge to get them to listen to your 'orders'. Would be curious to see how that relationship (between Kelley and his college players) would work out.

HARDING UNIVERSITY & CHRIS HILL [former Wynne head coach]
As this discussion continues, keep in mind of the experience that is happening at Harding University with their new offensive coordinator: Chris Hill.

Coach Hill was something of a rival to Kelley, since Hill's 5A Wynne teams faced PA/Kelley in 2014 and 2016 state finals. PA won both times. Hill left Wynne to take over the flexbone offense at Harding [NCAA D2 Great American Conference].

Harding won the GAC last year, but this year they are having a rough start: 2 wins & 3 losses. Harding was initially 0-3. In Hill's defense, I must say that Harding lost a LOT of seniors in 2016, so they weren't going to win the GAC even with last year's coaches.

Very interesting to see how Harding progresses under Hill's leadership. Wonder if Kelley is watching, too?

Wonderdog

We will never know what Kelley can accomplish in other programs (high school or college) until he shows us. He has a great thing going at PA. It would be tough for any coach that has built a program like he has to part ways with it. We will probably never find out what he and his analytics could produce anywhere outside of PA as intriguing as it may be.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 04, 2017, 07:46:52 pm
When has a HS Coach ever became The HC of a major University without College coaching experience first?
Should be a simple transition. He already have the recruiting down pat... ;). Just kidding...I do too. Seriously. Can't be any worse that what we're doing right now.

Nonsense

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 05, 2017, 06:40:58 am
Should be a simple transition. He already have the recruiting down pat... ;). Just kidding...I do too. Seriously. Can't be any worse that what we're doing right now.

It can always be worse, SMILE!!!

DoYouKnowWhoIThinkIam

Rick Jones would be an overall better fit for college than Kelley.  IMHO    (And according to sources, you will see Jones coaching on the college level in not the too distant future.)

bulldogger15

October 05, 2017, 09:29:56 am #70 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:39:36 am by bulldogger15
Quote from: Almatrackster on October 04, 2017, 07:49:34 pm
Well, strange you ask that, not exactly the parameters you set forth, but Gus only had one year as OC at Arkansas before going to HC at Tulsa.

I think North Texas hired a high school school some years back. It didn't work out.
Kevin Kelly couldn't even carry Gus Malzahn's briefcase. Get real....

Coach Kelly would get completely embarrassed running his "unconventional style" on the college level. Nice gimmick's to run on the high school level, especially when you're playing mainly 5A teams when you should be playing 7A teams every week.

The Razorbacks might need a new coach, but they don't need any new "gimmicks". Put the PA Kool-Aid down and drink more water. You MUST be dehydrated and hallucinating again.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 08:02:36 pm
Well, this is sure to bring out the P.A./Kelley haters.
Just stating facts PA Dad, just the facts.

Who's your pick for Coach Kelly's Arkansas Razorback OC? Let me guess? CLINT STOERNER??? LOLOLOLOLOL

GO BULLDOGS!!!

JessieP

I must say, some of the rationale on this thread is seriously lacking in basic understanding of football. Could some high school football coaches enter the college world as assistants? without question. That is a very logical next step, providing that's what they want. Hill taking the job as OC at a school like Harding is within reason. To say Kelley or James could take over the Razorbacks is laughable. My daughter meticulously saved money as a small child, she stuffed the little "My first piggy bank" we got her as a 4 year old. She got to the point where 1 bank turned into 4. That lasted until our first trip to Disney World, it was spent day one at the gift shop. To say "she's 7 and has saved almost $100, let's move to NYC and get her a job at Goldman Sachs" would make us morons. Now we could have suggested she take classes in high school/college to steer her in that direction, if she showed some serious acumen in that field, would make sense. Years of constant success at the high school level earns you the opportunity to advance up to the lowest level of the next step up. A high school coach going to OC at Harding will get a reaction of "ok, let's see how this plays out". A high school coach going to HC of a Division 1, Power 5 team will get a drink spit in your face followed by 5 minutes of uncontrollable laughter. 

JessieP

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 09:29:56 am
Kevin Kelly couldn't even carry Gus Malzahn's briefcase. Get real....

Coach Kelly would get completely embarrassed running his "unconventional style" on the college level. Nice gimmick's to run on the high school level, especially when you're playing mainly 5A teams when you should be playing 7A teams every week.

The Razorbacks might need a new coach, but they don't need any new "gimmicks". Put the PA Kool-Aid and drink more water. You MUST be dehydrated and hallucinating again.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Let's not forget, Gus Malzhan himself hasn't exactly set the college world ablaze. A, he started as an OC, an OC that had McFadden and Jones. I could have ran that offense. Talk about having your table set. What has he done at Auburn? not too much. They are ranked but they are always ranked, he brought nothing new.

bulldogger15

Quote from: JessieP on October 05, 2017, 09:33:09 am
I must say, some of the rationale on this thread is seriously lacking in basic understanding of football. Could some high school football coaches enter the college world as assistants? without question. That is a very logical next step, providing that's what they want. Hill taking the job as OC at a school like Harding is within reason. To say Kelley or James could take over the Razorbacks is laughable. My daughter meticulously saved money as a small child, she stuffed the little "My first piggy bank" we got her as a 4 year old. She got to the point where 1 bank turned into 4. That lasted until our first trip to Disney World, it was spent day one at the gift shop. To say "she's 7 and has saved almost $100, let's move to NYC and get her a job at Goldman Sachs" would make us morons. Now we could have suggested she take classes in high school/college to steer her in that direction, if she showed some serious acumen in that field, would make sense. Years of constant success at the high school level earns you the opportunity to advance up to the lowest level of the next step up. A high school coach going to OC at Harding will get a reaction of "ok, let's see how this plays out". A high school coach going to HC of a Division 1, Power 5 team will get a drink spit in your face followed by 5 minutes of uncontrollable laughter.
Correction, I've been laughing for hours after reading this. Lolololololol, no stopping in sight!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

JacketDad

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 07:42:33 pm
I'm not kidding. We need something different. We play Alabama style football and we will never out 'Bama, 'Bama. Ever. They have too much talent. If Gus Mahlzahn can be successful with innovative concepts in the SEC then Kelley can too. Both can see the value in receivers like Will Hastings. The Wes Welker types. The kind that Arkansas can get. Kelley will get the top QBs who will want to play in his system. The best receivers. Hunter Henry can vouch for the system and winning brings talent. You have to pass like crazy to beat 'Bama. Kelley will drive Saban crazy with the schemes. This is my opinion. I'd love to see it and I bet it would work. Kelley is a winner and he would obsess until he makes the Hogs winners.
Are you totally nuts???

bulldogger15

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 09:22:17 pm
Kevin Kelley would be successful at Arkansas. We would score points and win. Bottom line about football.
Yes, as stated before, Kevin Kelly would make a FINE RECRUITING COORDINATOR for the Razorbacks. GUARANTEED.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Red Devil Alum

I'm a big fan of Kevin Kelley as a coach, and even more so as a person. With that said, it takes a million things to be an elite coach at the SEC and you don't get to learn on the job. Coach Kelley has never had to recruit (I know this pains some of you), never had to hire a staff at that level, etc. I would love to see him be an OC at that level though.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on October 05, 2017, 10:09:09 am
I'm a big fan of Kevin Kelley as a coach, and even more so as a person. With that said, it takes a million things to be an elite coach at the SEC and you don't get to learn on the job. Coach Kelley has never had to recruit (I know this pains some of you), never had to hire a staff at that level, etc. I would love to see him be an OC at that level though.
Never HAD to recruit (but he did it anyway) because he LOVES it. Lololololol

GO BULLDOGS!!!

JessieP

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 10:15:21 am
Never HAD to recruit (but he did it anyway) because he LOVES it. Lololololol

GO BULLDOGS!!!

By reading your post it's quite obvious you are a pretty big Greenwood fan. I'm guessing your aversion to PA stems from the fact they get far more coverage then Greenwood, both local and National, and yet Greenwood has enjoyed as much success. I understand the reasoning that Greenwood is in a higher classification therefore logic would dictate that Greenwood is generally considered a better team? I more often then not agree with that. Just as I agree that the 7A State Champ is the best in the State. It's fair and based on fact. My question is your shots about recruiting, do you really think the same things are not being said about Greenwood? do you not feel a sort of kinship with PA in regards to Greenwoods success is questioned daily on these boards?. They recruit, they buy wins, they spend more money, they buy refs and other things belittling what teams accomplish is not a label attached to PA exclusively, I assure you. I have read for years how Greenwood tapes practices and has even installed camera's and listening devices in visitors locker rooms. I heard people say Greenwood has bugged opposing coaches head-sets during games. Is it bs? of course it is. Just don't spend too much time laughing at what you consider PA's "less then" accomplishments because they feast, on what you consider to be, a lesser 5A. There are plenty of people just like you saying the EXACT same thing about Greenwood.

JessieP

Quote from: JacketDad on October 05, 2017, 09:55:45 am
Are you totally nuts???

Thank you for my morning laugh. I'm sure Saban wakes up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat thinking "Oh my God, what if Arkansas hires the PA coach". Some fans have checked out of the hotel reality.

Intelligentsia

Lighten up guys.  We know that KK will not be hired at U of A, but it's fun to speculate.  Would it be fun to watch him try - absolutely!!  Would he succeed stepping directly into that role - likely not.  While the initial poster may have been somewhat serious, I think most of the us are just day dreaming - sort of like when I dream about winning the lottery.  I'm not going to win the lottery, primarily because I've never purchased a ticket, it's fun to dream!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: JessieP on October 05, 2017, 10:56:31 am
By reading your post it's quite obvious you are a pretty big Greenwood fan. I'm guessing your aversion to PA stems from the fact they get far more coverage then Greenwood, both local and National, and yet Greenwood has enjoyed as much success. I understand the reasoning that Greenwood is in a higher classification therefore logic would dictate that Greenwood is generally considered a better team? I more often then not agree with that. Just as I agree that the 7A State Champ is the best in the State. It's fair and based on fact. My question is your shots about recruiting, do you really think the same things are not being said about Greenwood? do you not feel a sort of kinship with PA in regards to Greenwoods success is questioned daily on these boards?. They recruit, they buy wins, they spend more money, they buy refs and other things belittling what teams accomplish is not a label attached to PA exclusively, I assure you. I have read for years how Greenwood tapes practices and has even installed camera's and listening devices in visitors locker rooms. I heard people say Greenwood has bugged opposing coaches head-sets during games. Is it bs? of course it is. Just don't spend too much time laughing at what you consider PA's less then accomplishments because they feast on what you consider to be a lesser 5A because there are plenty of you saying the EXACT same thing about Greenwood.
Easy does it there JessieJane.

1. Bulldogger15 has never hidden who he supports.
2. They recruit? Who Holt? Dad graduated from Greenwood, Noland? Both parents graduated from Greenwood. Accommodating curious student athletes with a fine place to get a FREE education is far from recruiting.
3. Buy wins? Don't need to, we have Ricky Don Jones!
4. Spend more money? Not quite.... I'd like to compare REAL budgets from all sources for both schools.
5. Buy refs? No need to buy refs, they suck either way.
6. Belittling what teams accomplish? Rubbish! Accomplish everything your're talking about at the 7A level where you should be playing and THEN we can have an intelligent conversation.
7. For 7A, where you should be playing. Put down the PA flavored Kool-Aid, take off Coach Kelly's rose colored glasses and get real. DELUSIONAL!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

JessieP

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 11:17:19 am
Easy does it there JessieJane.

1. Bulldogger15 has never hidden who he supports.
2. They recruit? Who Holt? Dad graduated from Greenwood, Noland? Both parents graduated from Greenwood. Accommodating curious student athletes with a fine place to get a FREE education is far from recruiting.
3. Buy wins? Don't need to, we have Ricky Don Jones!
4. Spend more money? Not quite.... I'd like to compare REAL budgets from all sources for both schools.
5. Buy refs? No need to buy refs, they suck either way.
6. Belittling what teams accomplish? Rubbish! Accomplish everything your're talking about at the 7A level where you should be playing and THEN we can have an intelligent conversation.
7. For 7A, where you should be playing. Put down the PA flavored Kool-Aid, take off Coach Kelly's rose colored glasses and get real. DELUSIONAL!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

I never said I believe any of the things on your imbecilic list, I pointed out they are things that people say. You think I'm a PA fan? what year did you graduate Harvard? not too quick on the uptake are you Shar pei15. Funny how you say PA should have to play in the 7A and Greenwood shouldn't, especially since PA has about half the students Greenwood does.

Now sit down Greeny. Putting a delusional Greenwood fan in their place, I should call myself Russellville.

PrivateLesson

InYoGrill

Bring him on. At least we would get our monies worth watching the O play.

Bruin Backer

Whether or not the head coach or OC at Arkansas is Kelly, or someone else, I would love to see someone that utilizes Kelly's approach. JessieP is right in noting that PA's offense is not unique. He is also correct that, with the athletes they have, PA probably couldn't compete that well against some of the bigger powerhouse high schools around the country. Kelly's genius is using what he has to the best advantage. At the 5A level, he realizes that he has five good receivers available on every play, and most teams they face don't have five equally talented defensive backs. Therefore, every play called is designed to exploit whatever weakness the particular defensive scheme presents. If the defensive commits too many people to defending the pass, he runs the ball. Knowing that most 5A defenses will be giving something up on every play makes going for it on fourth down not such a big risk.

This is really no different than what any great team; high school, college or pro, does. Alabama has the studs to run the ball...regardless of the formation or style of running attack used. At the same time, they realize that at some point in time, other great teams can stack the line of scrimmage and take away the run. When that happens, they will pass the ball. The point is that at the college level, I wouldn't expect Kelly to utilize the same offensive strategy he currently uses. Alabama doesn't have any weak defensive backs that would allow Kelly to run the same types of passing plays. However, even Alabama's secondary gives up something. The key is determining what the weakness is, and then executing the appropriate pass play. Look at the Ark State game last night. GS's "ball control" offense didn't concern ASU that much. As long as GS couldn't defend the long pass and gave up TD after TD, ASU didn't have to worry about five turnovers. They simply outscored GS. 

Kelly figures out what his team's strengths are, and what the other teams he will be facing weaknesses are. His game plan is developed accordingly. His offensive is looked at as being one-dimensional because they pass so often. If he knew that most of their opponents had great secondaries, he would use a different game plan. At the SEC level, I would expect him to use the talent he had in a manner that reflected the advantages they had. I doubt that Kelly would go for it on fourth down every time. Unlike at the 5A high school level, a SEC team cannot expect to consistently complete 15 or 20 yard pass plays even when the other team knows you are going to pass.

For the Hogs to be competitive in the SEC, they need a coach that at least approaches the game like Kelly, or Saban, does. Depending on the athletes they get at Arkansas, they can be run first, and then pass, or use a pass first offensive to set up the run. In either case, you must be flexible. Coach BB thinks he can run the ball effectively even when the defensive is lined up to stop the run, or pass effectively when it is third and long. Ain't gonna happen. Some times you need to pass on second and two, or run on third and ten. Figure out what the defense is giving you, and exploit it. In closing, I can only speculate if Kelly would be successful at a SEC level school. Like many have pointed out, being a head coach, or even just an OC, requires multiple skill sets, some of which Kelly may not have.

That said, Arkansas is desperately in need of coaches that approach the game like Kelly does. If an "unconventional style" is what best fits the athletes you have versus the teams you will be facing, then use it. If you can get the Alabama or Clemson types of athletes, then be more conventional. Just don't be predictable like BB or Houston Nutt. Whether or not Kelly's current approach, assuming he used it, would work at the college level makes for an interesting discussion. However, I have little doubt that Kelly's approach  to the game will work at any level.

Neckred

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 08:21:44 pm
It wasn't intended too. Attention to details and an obsession with winning always works. Kelley has both. I loved the move Will Hastings put on the safety to get wide open for Auburn this weekend. That's what Kelley teaches. Hogs receivers don't get open. Somebody on the Hogs staff is not teaching the basics of route running.
Who is Will Hastings?

bulldogger15

Quote from: Bruin Backer on October 05, 2017, 12:21:56 pm
Whether or not the head coach or OC at Arkansas is Kelly, or someone else, I would love to see someone that utilizes Kelly's approach. JessieP is right in noting that PA's offense is not unique. He is also correct that, with the athletes they have, PA probably couldn't compete that well against some of the bigger powerhouse high schools around the country. Kelly's genius is using what he has to the best advantage. At the 5A level, he realizes that he has five good receivers available on every play, and most teams they face don't have five equally talented defensive backs. Therefore, every play called is designed to exploit whatever weakness the particular defensive scheme presents. If the defensive commits too many people to defending the pass, he runs the ball. Knowing that most 5A defenses will be giving something up on every play makes going for it on fourth down not such a big risk.

This is really no different than what any great team; high school, college or pro, does. Alabama has the studs to run the ball...regardless of the formation or style of running attack used. At the same time, they realize that at some point in time, other great teams can stack the line of scrimmage and take away the run. When that happens, they will pass the ball. The point is that at the college level, I wouldn't expect Kelly to utilize the same offensive strategy he currently uses. Alabama doesn't have any weak defensive backs that would allow Kelly to run the same types of passing plays. However, even Alabama's secondary gives up something. The key is determining what the weakness is, and then executing the appropriate pass play. Look at the Ark State game last night. GS's "ball control" offense didn't concern ASU that much. As long as GS couldn't defend the long pass and gave up TD after TD, ASU didn't have to worry about five turnovers. They simply outscored GS. 

Kelly figures out what his team's strengths are, and what the other teams he will be facing weaknesses are. His game plan is developed accordingly. His offensive is looked at as being one-dimensional because they pass so often. If he knew that most of their opponents had great secondaries, he would use a different game plan. At the SEC level, I would expect him to use the talent he had in a manner that reflected the advantages they had. I doubt that Kelly would go for it on fourth down every time. Unlike at the 5A high school level, a SEC team cannot expect to consistently complete 15 or 20 yard pass plays even when the other team knows you are going to pass.

For the Hogs to be competitive in the SEC, they need a coach that at least approaches the game like Kelly, or Saban, does. Depending on the athletes they get at Arkansas, they can be run first, and then pass, or use a pass first offensive to set up the run. In either case, you must be flexible. Coach BB thinks he can run the ball effectively even when the defensive is lined up to stop the run, or pass effectively when it is third and long. Ain't gonna happen. Some times you need to pass on second and two, or run on third and ten. Figure out what the defense is giving you, and exploit it. In closing, I can only speculate if Kelly would be successful at a SEC level school. Like many have pointed out, being a head coach, or even just an OC, requires multiple skill sets, some of which Kelly may not have.

That said, Arkansas is desperately in need of coaches that approach the game like Kelly does. If an "unconventional style" is what best fits the athletes you have versus the teams you will be facing, then use it. If you can get the Alabama or Clemson types of athletes, then be more conventional. Just don't be predictable like BB or Houston Nutt. Whether or not Kelly's current approach, assuming he used it, would work at the college level makes for an interesting discussion. However, I have little doubt that Kelly's approach  to the game will work at any level.
#1 This is one of the most dilusional posts I've seen about Coach Kelly in a bit.
#2 Coach Kelly has been at PA since 2003 for a VERY good reason.
#3 Putting Kelly in a comparative sentence with Saban is ignorant.
#4 PA Kool-Aid stand opens again soon! Is it still free or are they charging now to "help the cause"?

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 01:07:06 pm
#3 Putting Kelly in a comparative sentence with Saban is ignorant.

Okay....this I have to say, makes sense.  Two totally different types of Coaches.   Why not bring Saban to Arkansas??

bulldogger15

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 05, 2017, 01:15:49 pm
Okay....this I have to say, makes sense.  Two totally different types of Coaches.   Why not bring Saban to Arkansas??
Isn't it time for your nap Privates Lesson? Please don't do it.... Saban to Arkansas??? Kelly to Alabama??? Lolololololololololol

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Neckred on October 05, 2017, 12:33:21 pm
Who is Will Hastings?
Played for PA and now is a WR at Auburn. When he committed to play for PA it was a big recruiting victory for the Bruins. It was tough to wait on him for 10 years to actually get to high school but that's part of it.

bulldogger15

Quote from: JessieP on October 05, 2017, 11:27:09 am
I never said I believe any of the things on your imbecilic list, I pointed out they are things that people say. You think I'm a PA fan? what year did you graduate Harvard? not too quick on the uptake are you Shar pei15. Funny how you say PA should have to play in the 7A and Greenwood shouldn't, especially since PA has about half the students Greenwood does.

Now sit down Greeny. Putting a delusional Greenwood fan in their place, I should call myself Russellville.
Greenwood has been playing in the 7A for years. They won seven 7A games two years ago with the split conference and haven't lost a 7A game in a bit.

It's now how many you have in enrolled at the school that counts, it's HOW and WHY they are there to begin with. See: IMG, BISHOP GORMAN AND MATER DEI.... Especially IMG.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

bulldogger15

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on October 05, 2017, 01:32:12 pm
Played for PA and now is a WR at Auburn. When he committed to play for PA it was a big recruiting victory for the Bruins. It was tough to wait on him for 10 years to actually get to high school but that's part of it.
Exactly, Lolololol!!!

GO BULLDOGS!!!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 01:19:20 pm
Isn't it time for your nap Privates Lesson? Please don't do it.... Saban to Arkansas??? Kelly to Alabama??? Lolololololololololol

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Nap?  Nah....beauty sleep is over-rated. 

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 01:34:10 pm
Greenwood has been playing in the 7A for years. They won seven 7A games two years ago with the split conference and haven't lost a 7A game in a bit.

It's now how many you have in enrolled at the school that counts, it's HOW and WHY they are there to begin with. See: IMG, BISHOP GORMAN AND MATER DEI.... Especially IMG.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Maybe the Bulldogs ending their last four seasons with a loss is why you are so salty about PA winning.  But that is just one guy's observation.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on October 05, 2017, 01:59:29 pm
Maybe the Bulldogs ending their last four seasons with a loss is why you are so salty about PA winning.  But that is just one guy's observation.
Yes, in the division we should be playing in. Very respectable stings to end the season.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 02:02:22 pm
Yes, in the division we should be playing in. Very respectable stings to end the season.

GO BULLDOGS!!!
I admire someone who takes losing as well as you do.

JessieP

Quote from: bulldogger15 on October 05, 2017, 02:02:22 pm

GO BULLDOGS!!!

I highly doubt Greenwood would use this guy as an indication of their academic prowess. The pea brain doesn't realize that, in his own words, by saying PA should be playing in the 7A and Greenwood is playing in the division they should be (6A) that, quod erat demonstrandum, PA is better the Greenwood.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on October 05, 2017, 02:05:00 pm
I admire someone who takes losing as well as you do.
Thanks! I really do appreciate you noticing and "admiring" our loses.

"Greenwood Bulldogs never lose, they either win or learn." - Ricky Don's Ego

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas