• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SCORE THREAD: 7A BOYS FINALS(FRI 8:45): Bentonville vs Cabot

Started by Brian G, March 06, 2016, 02:14:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Bentonville
46 (76.7%)
Cabot
14 (23.3%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: March 12, 2016, 02:40:12 pm

bdubyab60

Monk is the best player in the state. He didn't have the year that he wanted for sure. Other players had better seasons as well. No other player has had the pressure this kid had on him. I've said all along he should have waited to announce his decision after the season. I fully believe it effected him this season.

There have been plenty of great players not get titles.

There will be zero pressure on him at Kentucky. Unlike here where we want him to save our program. And don't say that's BS because everyone would expect 30 points a game from him and you know it.

Really tired of hearing about Reaves too. Great player yes and great season. But I've never seen a player get calls like him. Every time he went to the basket all year he went to the line. He made 23 free throws against us and we shot 12. NEA was the same, just a parade to the line. I will say that he was as clutch as anyone I've seen. But he is not better than Monk.

Ice Water

First off Monk is a stud and I'm glad Arkansas high school basketball has gotten to a place where we can talk about these things. But a couple of these posts don't quite do Reaves justice. I'll break down the math if need be, but simply put, he did generate over 70% of CR's offense Saturday. Both kids are outstanding players, and I find arguing over this guy being better that that guy quite silly. So here are just a few things I noticed as a neutral observer this weekend. 

Cedar Ridge did an expontoentally better job organizing their offense to fit their superstar than Bentonville did. CR's first possession was a set to get Reaves a three off a double stagger screen. Bentonville's was Monk just launching from 25'. The entire game CR was spaced and organize with a purpose. Not sure you can say the same about B'ville. Another thing that stood out to me was that when Reaves threes stopped falling, he stopped shooting them and found points in other ways. Monk never did and only got to the line two times. Reaves and CR appeared to have a tremendous understanding of what gave them the greatest chance of winning their game. Monk and Bentonville never appeared that way.

mijally

Quote from: Ice Water on March 13, 2016, 03:23:31 pm
First off Monk is a stud and I'm glad Arkansas high school basketball has gotten to a place where we can talk about these things. But a couple of these posts don't quite do Reaves justice. I'll break down the math if need be, but simply put, he did generate over 70% of CR's offense Saturday. Both kids are outstanding layers, and I find arguing over this guy being better that that guy quite silly. So here are just a few things I noticed as a neutral observer this weekend. 

Cedar Ridge did an expontoentally better job organizing their offense to fit their superstar than Bentonville did. CR's first possession was a set to get Reaves a three off a double stagger screen. Bentonville's was Monk just launching from 25'. The entire game CR was spaced and organize with a purpose. Not sure you can say the same about B'ville. Another thing that stood out to me was that when Reaves threes stopped falling, he stopped shooting them and found points in other ways. Monk never did and only got to the line two times. Reaves and CR appeared to have a tremendous understanding of what gave them the greatest chance of winning their game. Monk and Bentonville never appeared that way.
This post nailed it as far as I'm concerned however there is one major point you left out. When Reaves went to the basket he was not trying to score against Cabot. He was going against smaller opponents who could do nothing but foul him.

mijally

I also think had Reaves played for Bentonville they would have won.

tacomeat

The reason Reaves got to the line so much is he was one of - if not the - best ball handlers I have ever witnessed. Not just flashy like some players, but controlling the basketball while going through crazy traffic w/ everyone one the floor knowing where he was going. Regardless of who they were playing. If he doesn't win Mr. Basketball in the ADZ for what he did this year as a high school player they should quit giving out the award.

Monk is a great, great talent & his athleticism is off of the charts. If the debate folks are having were over upside there is no debate - Monk has upside that very few ever have. If he develops the same handles & the "I'm getting to the rim" motor that Reaves has instead of settleing for jump shots on off shooting nights he can be the best NBA player ever out of this state.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: bdubyab60 on March 13, 2016, 03:05:01 pm
Monk is the best player in the state. He didn't have the year that he wanted for sure. Other players had better seasons as well. No other player has had the pressure this kid had on him. I've said all along he should have waited to announce his decision after the season. I fully believe it effected him this season.

There have been plenty of great players not get titles.

There will be zero pressure on him at Kentucky. Unlike here where we want him to save our program. And don't say that's BS because everyone would expect 30 points a game from him and you know it.

Really tired of hearing about Reaves too. Great player yes and great season. But I've never seen a player get calls like him. Every time he went to the basket all year he went to the line. He made 23 free throws against us and we shot 12. NEA was the same, just a parade to the line. I will say that he was as clutch as anyone I've seen. But he is not better than Monk.

I agree with everything you said EXCEPT the comment of "there will be zero pressure on him at Kentucky" the pressure will multiply 10 fold. You think Cal will let him go 0 for whatever and not sit his butt on the bench? He is also trying to get to the NBA, which makes the pressure even greater. Not to mention the Kentucky fan base. He's in the pressure cooker from now on. It goes with the territory.

Eagle20

Quote from: mijally on March 13, 2016, 03:59:57 pm
This post nailed it as far as I'm concerned however there is one major point you left out. When Reaves went to the basket he was not trying to score against Cabot. He was going against smaller opponents who could do nothing but foul him.
I am not so sure Charleston wasn't as big or bigger than Cabot besides Stanley who played well but didn't change Monk's shot much.  Cabot's help side defense was the kicker in keeping Monk at bay.  That being said I am not so sure if Reaves wouldnt get to the basket better than Monk did against Cabot.  His handles for 6'5" are as good as any player I have seen that size.  His left hand is probably his best hand and he is right handed and when he is in traffic the ball is 6" off the ground. 

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: Eagle20 on March 13, 2016, 06:45:20 pm
I am not so sure Charleston wasn't as big or bigger than Cabot besides Stanley who played well but didn't change Monk's shot much.  Cabot's help side defense was the kicker in keeping Monk at bay.  That being said I am not so sure if Reaves wouldnt get to the basket better than Monk did against Cabot.  His handles for 6'5" are as good as any player I have seen that size.  His left hand is probably his best hand and he is right handed and when he is in traffic the ball is 6" off the ground.

Barnes was what/who slowed down monk. He had to much athleticism and WANT TO.

mack

Culppepermtn999

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas