• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well this Stinks...

Started by Coach Venny Slocombe, December 13, 2015, 06:06:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Venny Slocombe

WPWells

He's taken it. I've heard maybe the Titans O-Line coach

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Stewie on December 13, 2015, 06:08:43 pm
That Arkansas get's the Titans O-line coach?

Longfellow

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 13, 2015, 06:16:49 pm
From what I hear, Bielema and the Hogs O-line are begging Pittman to stay

Lionheart88

December 13, 2015, 06:57:07 pm #4 Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:35:36 pm by Lionheart88
I saw a news report yesterday that said he's gone, and that Bielema was considering promoting the current o-line GA, Eric Mateos: https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-coach-bret-bielema-discusses-losing-key-assistant-to-uga

ricepig

Quote from: Longfellow on December 13, 2015, 06:50:15 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 13, 2015, 06:16:49 pm
From what I hear, Bielema and the Hogs O-line are begging Pittman to stay

He took the job Friday night. Some think that Bob Bostad, Bielema's former o-line coach at Wisconsin will be on the short list. Obviously, Pittman wanted to be with Chaney more than the Hogs, see ya......

fastdrop

If I was a hog fan it would not be that big of deal to me. You guys have already seen what kind of team you have when assistants run the show.

The Tigers are getting coached by assistants for the up coming bowl game. I bet we lose by at least 3 touch downs.

AirWarren

Adios Pittman. Don't let the door hit ya on the.....

Valleysports

He's the one shutting the door, why would it hit him?  LOL  He did a great job coaching and recruiting for the Hogs and now it's time for him to further his career.  Besides I know what you're really trying to say AW - Congratulations and Good Luck in your coaching career Coach Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 06:29:12 am
He's the one shutting the door, why would it hit him?  LOL  He did a great job coaching and recruiting for the Hogs and now it's time for him to further his career.  Besides I know what you're really trying to say AW - Congratulations and Good Luck in your coaching career Coach Pittman.

10 different jobs in the past 20 years, I'd say him staying 3 years was above his norm. If Chaney's offense is like it was here, 3 will be the max at Georgia. What most didn't like was him not wanting to meet with his o-linemen to tell them why he was leaving to a SEC competitor. That, and he always told Bielema that he wasn't going anywhere, so no need for a non-compete and huge buyout. I'd say, lesson learned, lol.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 07:09:30 am
Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 06:29:12 am

10 different jobs in the past 20 years, I'd say him staying 3 years was above his norm. If Chaney's offense is like it was here, 3 will be the max at Georgia. What most didn't like was him not wanting to meet with his o-linemen to tell them why he was leaving to a SEC competitor. That, and he always told Bielema that he wasn't going anywhere, so no need for a non-compete and huge buyout. I'd say, lesson learned, lol.

I'll bet all the assistants get 'non-competes' from now on, don't you think.....

Valleysports

Why aren't non compete clauses standard on all coaching contracts?  If they aren't why would anyone sign one?  Are there incentives to limit your potential coaching opportunities in a contract?  Sounds like  Pittman was smart enough not to lock himself in long term.  On a side note - the non compete clause with DI Players scholarships, is wrong.   

Pittman brought in and is leaving top recruits.  Skipper, Kirkland, Ragnow Sebastian, a string of top recruit  backups, and some great 2016 recruits.  He's leaving the Hog OL in excellent shape.  Bringing him paid off well.           

Longfellow

Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 08:56:12 am
Why aren't non compete clauses standard on all coaching contracts?  If they aren't why would anyone sign one?  Are there incentives to limit your potential coaching opportunities in a contract?  Sounds like  Pittman was smart enough not to lock himself in long term.  On a side note - the non compete clause with DI Players scholarships, is wrong.   

Pittman brought in and is leaving top recruits.  Skipper, Kirkland, Ragnow Sebastian, a string of top recruit  backups, and some great 2016 recruits.  He's leaving the Hog OL in excellent shape.  Bringing him paid off well.         
Y'all remember those hype videos showing the Hogs in the weight room? As long as we keep that mentality up, it won't matter who the O-line coach is. They'll get a coach who can get guys ready for the NFL. I'm sure Bielema has a few names he can get

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 08:56:12 am

Well, most coaches don't have them across the SEC. Long put them in the contracts we gave out last January, Bielema said at first he didn't like the idea, but loved it when Georgia came after Enos for their OC job. Anyway, Pittman is a good coach and recruiter, we'll get a good replacement, but as usual in these situations, the timing sucks. We only have one commit, an OG, we need tackles and the #1 JUCO OT was high on us and on Pittman. He now has a visit scheduled for Georgia on Jan 22nd.......

Coach Venny Slocombe

Just a few points...

1. Pittman Said he had a meeting scheduled for Sunday morning to meet with players. Said what CBB said about him not wanting to was "Not True". I guess only Pittman and CBB really know the truth...

2. People can say what they want, Pittman is gonna be hard to replace...end of story...

3. This season we are gonna take some hits in recruiting...

4. Arkansas needs to pay more if they want to keep these coaches.

Valleysports

Well I certainly wouldn't believe CBB's side of any misunderstanding again, again, again.  LOL

Wonder if this non compete clause will become a trend in the SEC or make coaches think twice about signing with Arkansas.  Probably non big deal.

Ricepig, the offensive line is pretty much in tact for next year - correct?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 14, 2015, 04:58:46 pm
Just a few points...

1. Pittman Said he had a meeting scheduled for Sunday morning to meet with players. Said what CBB said about him not wanting to was "Not True". I guess only Pittman and CBB really know the truth...

2. People can say what they want, Pittman is gonna be hard to replace...end of story...

Just a few corrections:

1) The meeting was for Saturday morning at 10:30, a regularly scheduled position meeting before practice. Since he no longer was employed, a no-no.

2) Everyone is replaceable, but he was a good coach and recruiter

3) As far as recruiting, we had 1 OL committed, he's still committed 100% according to he and his Dad. We may miss out on the JUCO OT that Pittman was going to his wedding on Saturday, you know....the same time frame as his meeting.

4) Georgia offered $25,000 more than we did, it wasn't about money. We offered $625,000, about the tops in the nation for a position coach.

ricepig

Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 05:09:49 pm
Well I certainly wouldn't believe CBB's side of any misunderstanding again, again, again.  LOL

Wonder if this non compete clause will become a trend in the SEC or make coaches think twice about signing with Arkansas.  Probably non big deal.

Depends if Kirkland comes back. Smothers and Tretola were both Srs, but we have some 4* waiting to play. We'll get a commit from a JUCO guy from MS on Wed, not sure if he's a plug and play. The JUCO OT we want is, but it was between us and Mich St for him, but he liked Pittman. He now has an official visit to Georgia in Jan.....

As far as a hire, lots of people think Bob Bostad of the Titans, or Staten from Mich St are possibilities. Staten will definitely get a raise, he makes less than $300,000 at Mich. St, so, he's got that to look forward to.

Romeo

Bielema will hire another OL coach, but I don't think whoever he hires will fill Pittman's shoes. From a recruiting and coaching standpoint, there's not many coaches out there similar to him. There's a reason why Alabama tried to get him weeks after he came here.

Lionheart88

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 05:20:55 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on December 14, 2015, 05:09:49 pm

Depends if Kirkland comes back. Smothers and Tretola were both Srs, but we have some 4* waiting to play. We'll get a commit from a JUCO guy from MS on Wed, not sure if he's a plug and play. The JUCO OT we want is, but it was between us and Mich St for him, but he liked Pittman. He now has an official visit to Georgia in Jan.....

As far as a hire, lots of people think Bob Bostad of the Titans, or Staten from Mich St are possibilities. Staten will definitely get a raise, he makes less than $300,000 at Mich. St, so, he's got that to look forward to.
That would be a great hire.  Normally I'd think bringing a position coach from the NFL would be impossible, but considering his history coaching with Bielema and the fact that the Titans have already fired the head coach and the rest of the staff may be out of jobs soon, we may just have a shot.

ricepig

Quote from: Romeo on December 14, 2015, 07:09:44 pm
Bielema will hire another OL coach, but I don't think whoever he hires will fill Pittman's shoes. From a recruiting and coaching standpoint, there's not many coaches out there similar to him. There's a reason why Alabama tried to get him weeks after he came here.

Bielema and Bostad put 10 guys in the NFL during their 7 years together, and then Bielema put several more after he left. I think he knows how to get some guys to coach and recruit them.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 05:10:46 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

1) The meeting was for Saturday morning at 10:30, a regularly scheduled position meeting before practice. Since he no longer was employed, a no-no.

3) As far as recruiting, we had 1 OL committed, he's still committed 100% according to he and his Dad. We may miss out on the JUCO OT that Pittman was going to his wedding on Saturday, you know....the same time frame as his meeting.

4) Georgia offered $25,000 more than we did, it wasn't about money. We offered $625,000, about the tops in the nation for a position coach.
No, CBB and the players went to see him Friday night with the meeting scheduled for Saturday morning according to Pittman. Pittman could have went, he had not signed a contract with UGA yet...the whole reasoning for CBB and the players going to see him was to get him to stay...
Yes, everyone is replacable...but will the replacement be better? Hard to beat Pittman...
The dice will start to fall, get some popcorn...
If it was just $25,000 why didn't we offer it?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 14, 2015, 08:14:03 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

No, CBB and the players went to see him Friday night with the meeting scheduled for Saturday morning according to Pittman. Pittman could have went, he had not signed a contract with UGA yet...the whole reasoning for CBB and the players going to see him was to get him to stay...
Yes, everyone is replacable...but will the replacement be better? Hard to beat Pittman...

I know they went to see him Friday night, you said he offered to meet them on Sunday, incorrect, it was on Saturday. Do you not read what you write?

What does dice start to fall mean??

And, it wasn't about money. It was about the opportunity to get back with Chaney, for some reason beyond my understanding. You don't pick up and move for $25,000, not at that level of income. He's had 10 jobs in 20 years, he hasn't stayed too long anywhere. Some are saying he wasn't happy with the way Chaney was handled last year, apparently they and their wives are good friends.

Coach Venny Slocombe

December 14, 2015, 09:39:56 pm #23 Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:44:38 pm by Coach Venny Slocombe
Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 08:29:51 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

I know they went to see him Friday night, you said he offered to meet them on Sunday, incorrect, it was on Saturday. Do you not read what you write?

And, it wasn't about money. It was about the opportunity to get back with Chaney, for some reason beyond my understanding. You don't pick up and move for $25,000, not at that level of income. He's had 10 jobs in 20 years, he hasn't stayed too long anywhere. Some are saying he wasn't happy with the way Chaney was handled last year, apparently they and their wives are good friends.
Yep, I meant Saturday, and I also meant dominoes...lol...long plane ride...bottom line, he will be missed. We should have made a better offer. money talks...

Moonshiner

Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

Maybe they were jealous of the Hot Blonde 😘

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 14, 2015, 09:39:56 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

Yep, I meant Saturday, and I also meant dominoes...lol...long plane ride...bottom line, he will be missed. We should have made a better offer. money talks...

It wasn't the money, something you fail to understand. So far Bielema has made good hires on his replacements, I would imagine he will again. I liked him, thought he was very good, but nobody is irreplaceable. We may miss out on an O-linemen this year, but we'll get a good OL coach.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 09:54:25 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

It wasn't the money, something you fail to understand. So far Bielema has made good hires on his replacements, I would imagine he will again. I liked him, thought he was very good, but nobody is irreplaceable. We may miss out on an O-linemen this year, but we'll get a good OL coach.
lol...okay...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 15, 2015, 01:13:35 pm
Quote from: ricepig on December 14, 2015, 09:54:25 pm
Just a few points...

Just a few corrections:

lol...okay...

You disagree? We matched the money, that wasn't the issue.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Oh no, I don't disagree...lol... 8)...where did you and Brett have lunch today?

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 15, 2015, 05:35:47 pm

Bret and I ate at Herman's, I had to buy as usual.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on December 15, 2015, 06:16:12 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on December 15, 2015, 05:35:47 pm

Bret and I ate at Herman's, I had to buy as usual.
Well there ya go...

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas