• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Started by True Believer, January 22, 2014, 06:37:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacketman65

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2014, 08:33:50 pm
4th straight BarnyardBeauties.com Bowl.

lol
Not taking anything away from State, but been there for the last 2 Bowl games and ain't going back to the same hole again!  AD needs to do a better job of selling the team.  4 years and the same bowl, really!  However, it is better than nothing!  Go Wolves!!!!!

EVEN THOUGH I'M AN INDIAN

dc24

Quote from: Jacketman65 on December 08, 2014, 12:18:57 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on December 06, 2014, 08:33:50 pm
4th straight BarnyardBeauties.com Bowl.

lol
Not taking anything away from State, but been there for the last 2 Bowl games and ain't going back to the same hole again!  AD needs to do a better job of selling the team.  4 years and the same bowl, really!  However, it is better than nothing!  Go Wolves!!!!!

EVEN THOUGH I'M AN INDIAN

I like Mobile and the stadium could be better, but it isn't bad.  And there isn't much else we could do here.  We're honestly pretty lucky that Georgia Southern and Appalachian State weren't bowl eligible this year.  Not much selling he could do.  Can't help it either when the other bowl tie-in we had up until this year's Camelia Bowl was the New Orleans Bowl and they had the choice to take ULL just down the road.

True Believer

Uncle Ivan

bleudog

Toledo     21
stAte       14

end of first

BrianfromCarlisle

I like Qushan Lee.  He flies to the ball. 

Moonshiner

Pick 6 for ASU.  Still in it Red Wolves!!!  42-31

BrianfromCarlisle

That defense is just sorry overall. They better find out how to slow hunt down real real quick.

BrianfromCarlisle

Arkansas would have a billion trillion yards rushing against the d I am seeing tonight.

Jacketman65

ASU is in a heap of trouble with this coach!  Too many negatives said about the players that he inherited from the previous staffs.  Where is Gordon's 200 + yards that he bragged that he was going to get - MVP?  Think I will stop for now.  Yes Brian the U of A would have had their way with ASU, the polo team would have scored a TD on them tonight.

Jacketman65

Most discusting comment by Blake Anderson at the half, "we didn't think they would blitz that much".    UNPREPAIRED!  Gotta give it to Freddie though, the kid did not quit!  Congrats to him.

birdman16

D coordinator should be fired his schemes for stopping the run have been awful this year.

bleudog

January 05, 2015, 06:59:43 am #162 Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:11:45 am by bleudog

True Believer

YIKES!!   That was really bad.  Maybe Coach A should have stayed home...lol!   They do better without their head coach there.  :)   Oh well.  On to next year.

Great write up about the Seniors.   So proud of them for never giving up during the past few years.  Sad to hear about the player acting like that.  No need for it. 

Howling on to next year!!!    Go Red Wolves!!!   Still love my team!  :)

fastdrop

AirWarren

Uncle Ivan

dc24

Great job by our coaching staff and great year again for the Red Wolves.  Four straight bowl appearances is something I never thought I'd see.

As for the game.  We're finally seeing what four straight coaching changes does, and it took a toll on our depth this year.  There are several former walk-ons on the two-deep, especially on defense, and a few guys get hurt and you're looking pretty bleak there.  We have a redshirt-freshman DE, who made a freshman All-American team, that got hurt a few games ago that didn't play and our interior DL has seen several true freshmen playing and a guy, Clifford Thomas, that was an OL last year.  With a full season of recruiting and most of our class in place, I hope we have some replacements for guys on defense like Q. Lee, Sterling Young, and Andrew Tryon. 

I don't think it was scheme or anything we did, they were just better than us up front.  We struggled all year with teams that would run like that and had lines much bigger than ours.  Our strength was our speed and pass rush, but when you have a team with five senior OL, it was going to be a long night in that regard.  I thought it was interesting that they never held all night either.  Wouldn't have changed much, but I know there were a few they didn't call.

Our offense was pretty good though.  I didn't expect them to stop the run the way they did, but we passed all over them.  If we didn't spot them 14 points, it would have been a shootout either team could have won.  And they got all the bounces.  We fumbled twice in the first half and they returned them for TD's, well one was an interception, but they fumble twice and they are able to get back on them.  That's football though, can't expect to get all the bounces.

dc24

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on January 04, 2015, 11:15:25 pm
Arkansas would have a billion trillion yards rushing against the d I am seeing tonight.

We didn't play Arkansas so that isn't important, why even make that statement?

dc24

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 05, 2015, 12:53:36 am
Most discusting comment by Blake Anderson at the half, "we didn't think they would blitz that much".    UNPREPAIRED!  Gotta give it to Freddie though, the kid did not quit!  Congrats to him.

Well when a team has about a month to prepare for you, they might do things they haven't done all year.  Coach Bell said he was a little worried what they might do because they didn't play a team like us all year, at least that goes the same speed we do, so they had nothing to go off of in that regard.

dc24

January 05, 2015, 03:55:14 pm #170 Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:56:53 pm by dc24
Still can't believe some people hate the Red Wolves so much, especially on a board that is for high school football in Arkansas.  Got kids competing for our program from all over the state.

BrianfromCarlisle

Quote from: dc24 on January 05, 2015, 03:48:31 pm

Just an observation.  Hogs O line and RBs would decimate that Defensive front.  They have got to improve that dramatically.

dc24

Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on January 05, 2015, 06:54:40 pm
Quote from: dc24 on January 05, 2015, 03:48:31 pm

Just an observation.  Hogs O line and RBs would decimate that Defensive front.  They have got to improve that dramatically.

They would, no argument there, but Arkansas did that to several teams, several top-25 teams, so it isn't like it's a surprise.  We have to get better, but more importantly we have to get more depth and get bigger.  We're a better pass rush team with our smallish guys, but creates mismatches in the run game, as was shown against ULL and then Toledo last night.

Jacketman65

Scary thing is all of the Juco players they are bringing in.  Takes time to build a program.  I thought they were doing that the past years!  Is Anderson looking for the quick fix in order to move on in a couple of years?  Too many Juco players means disaster down the road.  IMO

birdman16

When Toledo basically ran 2 plays the entire game then it was the scheme. The scheme hasn't changed since ULL and that's when we started having problems stopping the run. Cauthen was not able to adapt his defense during the season. ULL found the weakness in the plan, then everybody else was able to exploit it. Him not making an attempt to fix it for 7 games then that is a problem.

Uncle Ivan

haha

ha

Loved the red helmets and tops.  It was already obvious asu was trying to be Arkansas.

dc24

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 06, 2015, 09:56:27 am
Scary thing is all of the Juco players they are bringing in.  Takes time to build a program.  I thought they were doing that the past years!  Is Anderson looking for the quick fix in order to move on in a couple of years?  Too many Juco players means disaster down the road.  IMO

We only signed six JUCO players in the fall and had a handful last year.  Signing JUCO players isn't a problem, as long as they can play.  When you need immediate help, JUCO is the route to go and the guys we signed should help quickly, but our high school class looks solid, as long as they stay committed and no one else swoops in to get them.  Generally, I would agree with you though, but we need them right now.  Got to let those high school kids develop some.  That was one reason we've been so successful the past few years is because Roberts especially tried to redshirt every true freshmen we signed.

dc24

Quote from: birdman16 on January 06, 2015, 10:26:09 am
When Toledo basically ran 2 plays the entire game then it was the scheme. The scheme hasn't changed since ULL and that's when we started having problems stopping the run. Cauthen was not able to adapt his defense during the season. ULL found the weakness in the plan, then everybody else was able to exploit it. Him not making an attempt to fix it for 7 games then that is a problem.

I don't think it was the scheme, so agree to disagree, we just didn't have the bodies to compete with the teams that had huge OL's that were run oriented.  Whenever we played passing teams, we were fine because that's what our skill set was.  We just didn't have the depth on defense to be effective all year.  We would have had to stay completely healthy and that's almost an impossible task and leaning on so many freshmen in that area just took its toll.  I'm sure there were things schematically that could have been changed to help, but when you've got five, fifth-year senior offensive linemen going against a group that is mostly freshmen, it's probably going to get ugly no matter the scheme.

Lions84

Tough way to end the year. I hope the Tribe does great in the 2015 Season.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas