• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff Travel Distances (round 1)

Started by bulldoghistorian, November 03, 2018, 02:43:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldoghistorian

Prairie Grove to Lonoke 3 hours 11 minutes 208 miles
Pottsville to Robinson 1 hour 9 minutes 72 miles
Lincoln to Hamburg 4 hours 50 minutes 310 miles
Fountain Lake to Rivercrest 3 hours 5 minutes 207 miles
Pocahontas to Heber 2 hours 6 minutes 102 miles
Batesville Southside to Dumas 2 hours 43 minutes 174 miles
Helena West Helena to Pea Ridge 5 hours 7 minutes 328 miles
Jonesboro Westside to Dardanelle 2 hours 49 minutes 174 miles
CAC to Warren 1 hour 37 minutes 97 miles
Gosnell to Arkadelphia 3 hours 51 minutes 257 miles
Star City to Shiloh 3 hours 58 minutes 262 miles
Gentry to Mena 2 hours 48 minutes 169 miles
Elkins to Nashville 3 hours 58 minutes 215 miles
Bauxite to Trumann 2 hours 33 minutes 154 miles

moneyminers

That HWH to PR drive just sounds crucial.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: moneyminers on November 03, 2018, 08:57:02 am
That HWH to PR drive just sounds crucial.

Yep, it' seems definitely crucial that HWH makes the drive to PR. Otherwise they have to forfeit.  :D

moneyminers

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on November 03, 2018, 08:58:37 am
Yep, it' seems definitely crucial that HWH makes the drive to PR. Otherwise they have to forfeit.  :D
haha I mean't crucial in terms of killer, horrible, anything along those lines. you got me there tho sugar lemme rephrase that one. That HWH to PR drive just sounds HORRIBLE  ;D who you got in this game??

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: moneyminers on November 03, 2018, 09:12:18 am
haha I mean't crucial in terms of killer, horrible, anything along those lines. you got me there tho sugar lemme rephrase that one. That HWH to PR drive just sounds HORRIBLE  ;D who you got in this game??

Yes, that trip is brutal. Should be a close game, it's tough to win on the road in the playoffs. IF HWH plays a clean game, no fumbles, limits penalties, they can win.

Dogpound2010

yea If they was still in last years conference they would've had a bye week...

beach bum

Always good to be a team in a corner of the state come playoff time when you are the home team

DuckGuide22

Hwh was always a 3 or 4 seed in their previous conference.

Note: HWH is undefeated on the road

bigchief72455

And most of Northern Arkansas is going to have lows that night below freezing. This November is supposed to be much colder than the past few so trips up North may be on the cold side.

JoeWho

November 03, 2018, 11:38:47 am #9 Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 12:14:42 pm by JoeWho

Glad they are coming here.  We made that drive a few years ago.  So, now its there turn.

bulldoghistorian

Those HWH busses have logged some miles in the past few weeks
To Star City 105 miles
To Crossett 164 miles
To Warren 134 miles
To Pea Ridge 328 miles
That's an average of 183 miles per trip

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on November 03, 2018, 02:43:19 am
Prairie Grove to Lonoke 3 hours 11 minutes 208 miles
Pottsville to Robinson 1 hour 9 minutes 72 miles
Lincoln to Hamburg 4 hours 50 minutes 310 miles
Fountain Lake to Rivercrest 3 hours 5 minutes 207 miles
Pocahontas to Heber 2 hours 6 minutes 102 miles
Batesville Southside to Dumas 2 hours 43 minutes 174 miles
Helena West Helena to Pea Ridge 5 hours 7 minutes 328 miles
Jonesboro Westside to Dardanelle 2 hours 49 minutes 174 miles
CAC to Warren 1 hour 37 minutes 97 miles
Star City to Shiloh 3 hours 58 minutes 262 miles
Gentry to Mena 2 hours 48 minutes 169 miles
Elkins to Nashville 3 hours 58 minutes 215 miles
Bauxite to Trumann 2 hours 33 minutes 154 miles
Total mileage: 2729
Average mileage: 195

justafan33

Seems like regions would make sense

DuckGuide22

That probably seems like a good idea to people in a weak region. It sounds ludicrous to people in a tough one

hogfan10

Quote from: justafan33 on November 04, 2018, 07:35:15 am

Seems like regions would make sense

How bout neutral site games.

SwingTheAxe

Quote from: hogfan10 on November 04, 2018, 08:45:33 pm

I get the appeal there, especially in the matchup of 3 seeds, but when you are talking about 1 or 2 seeds, those kids have earned the right to play at home.

hogfan10

Quote from: SwingTheAxe on November 05, 2018, 08:30:12 am
I get the appeal there, especially in the matchup of 3 seeds, but when you are talking about 1 or 2 seeds, those kids have earned the right to play at home.

If they're a true 1 or 2 seed, their fans will turn out for neutral site games. The neutral site doesn't have to be a true 50/50 split in travel, but could alleviate some of the strain put on athletic/family budgets.

Hog Lefty

Will the travel teams for the longer trips travel on Thursday or Friday?  3-4 hours on a yellow school bus is tough and are at a big disadvantage. 

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: SwingTheAxe on November 05, 2018, 08:30:12 am

But does it really matter if they play at home? Earn the right for what? We may earn things, but we don't deserve anything. If you are the best team, you will win anywhere.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on November 06, 2018, 07:55:55 am

But does it really matter if they play at home? Earn the right for what? We may earn things, but we don't deserve anything. If you are the best team, you will win anywhere.

So you think the whole "home field advantage" thing is a myth?

Gray lizard

Quote from: hogfan10 on November 04, 2018, 08:45:33 pm

The AAA takes all the gate.  What neutral site school would want to do that for popcorn sales.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

This is one of the dumbest arguments I've heard.  Be thankful you made the play-offs, if you have to travel, get on the dang bus and travel.  If you're the host school, be kind and courteous to your visitors and everyone play a clean football game.

How is it that hard to understand?  All this crying for neutral site games is ridiculous.  It won't happen, so it's time to give that notion up.  If you've EARNED home field advantage, that's awesome.  If you didn't, play better in conference games that matter. 

Stop bringing up neutral site games every single play-off season, it's not going to happen and in my opinion, SHOULDN'T happen.  Traveling is part of the play-offs, like it or not.  Like I said, if the team doesn't want to travel--play better next season and earn a home game. 

That is all!

-Kyle

Maynard G Krebs

Those HWH Cougars will get to see some beautiful fall colors as they travel

AirWarren

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on November 06, 2018, 08:57:56 am
This is one of the dumbest arguments I've heard.  Be thankful you made the play-offs, if you have to travel, get on the dang bus and travel.  If you're the host school, be kind and courteous to your visitors and everyone play a clean football game.

How is it that hard to understand?  All this crying for neutral site games is ridiculous.  It won't happen, so it's time to give that notion up.  If you've EARNED home field advantage, that's awesome.  If you didn't, play better in conference games that matter. 

Stop bringing up neutral site games every single play-off season, it's not going to happen and in my opinion, SHOULDN'T happen.  Traveling is part of the play-offs, like it or not.  Like I said, if the team doesn't want to travel--play better next season and earn a home game. 

That is all!

-Kyle

Traveling is tough, but it is one of the more exciting things about the playoffs. Win or lose, I have had some great times at away playoff games. You get to see other towns, other facilities, other fan bases. Kyle, I know you remember traveling to Lonoke and Harrisburg together. Warren has had the opportunity to go to NWA to play Shiloh several times, Prairie Grove, Dardanelle, Ozark(miserably cold AND we got railed). My most recent away playoff game was at Joe T Robinson last year....I can't express to you how amazing the atmosphere was. Combine that with the facility and it was a great time.

As a host school, take it as an opportunity to show off your facilities and courteousness to the visiting team.

I don't understand all this "unfair" business related to travel and distance. You're in the ARKANSAS 4A state playoffs....you're going to travel more than likely. Suck it up and get behind your team.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48 on November 06, 2018, 08:57:56 am

That is all!

TRIGGERED

-Kyle

AirWarren

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 06, 2018, 09:01:27 am
Those HWH Cougars will get to see some beautiful fall colors as they travel

Man, we have had one of best falls in recent memory with the colors.

RyanLR

Quote from: AirWarren on November 06, 2018, 09:21:01 am
When it ain't raining lol.

Gray lizard

My favorite playoff trip was the year Dardanelle went down to Nashville.  Left early that day and stopped at Narrows darn and caught the heck out of trout. My young son and daughter caught and released over 30 fish each.  Stopped at a nice place to eat just before Nashville. Ran into my old high school coach there and he told my son about my touchdown catch to win homecoming game in detail.  That was special as he has altimerzers and did not remember many things. Then we on to see one of the best catches I have seen in high school football in Thompson to Kershner for the TD.  That was a great trip.

Make the the best of your travels and be thankful you get the chance.

RZback

-Kyle
Some of the arguments have a bit of merit, Why does the AAA get all the gate? 
In reality the playoff travel is just part of it, you win during the season and you get an advantage in the playoffs with home games.  Neutral sites would be a financially bad idea.  Most schools fan's don't travel well and particularly when the distance is very far.  We all know the distances are often 3-5 hours.  Neutral sites would lessen that but in those case of 4-5 hours the travel is still going to be 2-3 hours depending on where the game is held and who plays who. Now both teams have to travel.  Most fans will not make the trip.

bulldoghistorian

Quote from: Hog Lefty on November 06, 2018, 07:39:40 am
Will the travel teams for the longer trips travel on Thursday or Friday?  3-4 hours on a yellow school bus is tough and are at a big disadvantage. 
Star City will be traveling Friday.

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 06, 2018, 08:56:47 am
The AAA takes all the gate.  What neutral site school would want to do that for popcorn sales.

could have sworn visiting teams get a large chunk of the gate in playoff games.

bigchief72455

Shoot. I am going up to Pea Ridge and selling hand warmers outside the gate. Lol.

ea cat

5% to each schools conference. 20% to host, 40% to visitor, 30% to AAA.

GRN R H-2 X-Deep Over

That is all!

-Kyle

Traveling is one of those great memories you have as a ballplayer. When my team travelled across state we made it a whole-day affair leaving school as soon as it started and eating out halfway. One time we got to do a walkthrough at another school's field because the coaches knew each other.
It also serves as a great way to build next year's team off of the current team with the freshmen coming along and seeing how the team meshes. It's like a retreat. And TRUST ME the kids don't mind skipping class.  ;D ;D

Coltfan2005

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 06, 2018, 08:56:47 am
Quote from: ea cat on November 06, 2018, 08:31:18 pm

hmm

Da Truff

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on November 06, 2018, 09:33:13 pm
hmm

Is that the break down for every round or does the distribution change each round?

Gray lizard

Quote from: ea cat on November 06, 2018, 08:31:18 pm
That does not add up to 100%.

changeisgood

DuckGuide22

Hawk4L

Pea Ridge fan base may be the most well traveled in 4A.  We usually pack the visiting stands.  It also helps that we have 70 kids on the team lol

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 07, 2018, 12:39:24 pm
Pea Ridge fan base may be the most well traveled in 4A.  We usually pack the visiting stands.  It also helps that we have 70 kids on the team lol

Dang, and you guys are a 4A School? Sounds like a 6A squad.

RZback

Quote from: Hawk4L on November 07, 2018, 12:39:24 pm

There is usually a huge difference between the home field stands and the visiter stands.  Doesn't take many fans to fill up most visiter bleechers.

prHOG13

Quote from: AirWarren on November 06, 2018, 09:21:01 am
It's insane just south of Fayetteville right now going through the mountains

Busman

Neutral sites were the norm in the 70's but other than arranging for ticket takers, keys and turning the lights on, the games were relatively easy for the host. It's a different world now. Security costs have skyrocketed. Media coverage places demands on press boxes. And many times high school facilities often exceed those of the D2 schools that were the primary hosts.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

My take on traveling is I believe it's a part of sports. There are so many kids who don't have the opportunity to get up and go places like some of us can. For them to travel on a bus with friends and teammates is something they'll never forget. My son missed traveling on the bus up to PG in '16 because he had a knee brace fitting in LR that morning. He still mentions missing out on that trip every now and then.

DuckGuide22

Busman

Eight home teams lost. By quick estimate, five lost to teams that traveled more than two miles.

bulldoghistorian

I will do the distances for round 2 sometime tomorrow.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas