• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 Seeds

Started by RabAlumni, November 01, 2018, 02:05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RabAlumni

Now don't flip out on me here folks, but it is my opinion that the AAA should do away with 5 seeds making the play-offs. I believe this waters down the playoff system and merely is just another game added to the slate where another dollar is put into the pockets of the AAA. I remember when it meant something to do well in your conference, and making the playoffs with a 5-2 conference record was a challenge. Now a days it seems there are some conferences where a 3-4 team in conference play is making the playoffs as a 5 seed.  These teams sometimes go 1-2 in Non-Conference play thus they are 4-6 over-all.  What is the point of this?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RabAlumni on November 01, 2018, 02:05:25 pm
Now don't flip out on me here folks, but it is my opinion that the AAA should do away with 5 seeds making the play-offs. I believe this waters down the playoff system and merely is just another game added to the slate where another dollar is put into the pockets of the AAA. I remember when it meant something to do well in your conference, and making the playoffs with a 5-2 conference record was a challenge. Now a days it seems there are some conferences where a 3-4 team in conference play is making the playoffs as a 5 seed.  These teams sometimes go 1-2 in Non-Conference play thus they are 4-6 over-all.  What is the point of this?
Don't flip out but the AAA $trongly di$agree$ with you.

RabAlumni

Quote from: Oldman on November 01, 2018, 02:14:23 pm

Why what would ever give you that impression?  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bigchief72455

I am alright with them getting rid of the 4 and 5 seeds.

x14113

November 01, 2018, 02:29:25 pm #4 Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:31:42 pm by x14113
Even if we discount the money aspect, remember that:

1) 5th seeds have made too much noise to be denied a place at the table now. Maybe if Dardy, Dumas, Dollarway, Mena, etc. weren't so uppity...

2) If you're that worried about the quality of the playoff pool, you can always try to start a movement to get the AAA to refer rankings to a third party, as numerous other states already do.

It's either that, or say hello to 2nd seeds getting byes. Take your pick.

phdefense

Quote from: bigchief72455 on November 01, 2018, 02:22:56 pm
I am alright with them getting rid of the 4 and 5 seeds.
Or we could get rid of the conferences whose 1 seeds lose to 5 seeds.

bigchief72455

Quote from: phdefense on November 01, 2018, 02:56:00 pm
Or we could get rid of the conferences whose 1 seeds lose to 5 seeds.
Or the ones whose 2 seeds lose to 4 seeds.

Coltfan2005

Or just go with 2 seeds from each conf

Baller91

I think they should take the top 2 or 3 and be done with it. It is ridiculous that teams who win 2-3 games all season are going to the playoffs. Most of the time these teams drive across the state to get Mercy ruled.

Eaglemaniac

Take the top 4 and be done with it. Too many teams getting in with losing records. My team has been one of them. It just isn't right.

Jimbo Morphis

I'm good with 4 but I agree 5 is
Bad.

FootballFan00

Quote from: Baller91 on November 01, 2018, 07:06:18 pm
I think they should take the top 2 or 3 and be done with it. It is ridiculous that teams who win 2-3 games all season are going to the playoffs. Most of the time these teams drive across the state to get Mercy ruled.

Making playoffs is a big deal for the kids and some small schools though. I think that we ought to keep it the way it is. It's something special because it offers a chance to just get one more chance at extending your season. They definitely shouldn't remove 4 seeds because i've seen a couple of those go pretty deep in the playoffs

phdefense

Quote from: Coltfan2005 on November 01, 2018, 06:29:04 pm
Or just go with 2 seeds from each conf
The problem with that is sometimes the top 2 from one conference is worse than the 4 & 5 from other conferences.

LakeRat

I agree with the competitive aspect... 5th place in a conference of 8 teams shouldn't deserve a playoff birth based on the simple mathematics can't result in anything but a record below .500 in conference results.

There's no mathematical method to fairly gauge competitive strength from one conference to the next in 4A. The situations where a 4th or 5th seed winning over a 1st or 2nd seed in many cases is determined by injuries of key players, playing conditions or just plain luck.

Gray lizard

Heck guys some of you are to harsh.  Lets give them all rings. How else are we going to get them ready to live off the government.

Lizard47

After what happened last night with Helena I guess 4 seeds should be in. But the line should be drawn there. You have to be 50% to go bowling in college and I think you need to be top 50% to go to the playoffs. Just my opinion.

Gray lizard

I think Russellville got in the playoffs one year with only 2 wins on the season.  That was in 6A if I remember right.

DuckGuide22

Gillett got in the playoffs one year with ZERO wins

dirtybirdz69

Quote from: DuckGuide22 on November 02, 2018, 12:11:53 pm
I would hate to be a part of their conference

DuckGuide22

I can't remember if at the time they took 4 or 5 teams but whatever it was that's how many teams were left at the end of the season due to numbers. The AAA forced them to go even though Gillett tried to forfeit

Hawk4L

They should only take top 3 from each conference and instead add a jr high state tournament taking all conf winners only.

HeberFan

What if we let everyone make the playoffs... and then... make it double elimination ????

DuckGuide22

It would be nice for a regional jr high tournament but for them to travel 3 or 4 hours would be ridiculous

RabAlumni

Quote from: HeberFan on November 02, 2018, 12:36:08 pm
What if we let everyone make the playoffs... and then... make it double elimination ????

They literally need to go back to just the top 2 from each conference make it or 4 only... There should not be a 5 seed, point blank!

HeberFan

Top two is fine by me. Might help the basketball season?

phdefense

Quote from: RabAlumni on November 02, 2018, 12:37:20 pm

They literally need to go back to just the top 2 from each conference make it or 4 only... There should not be a 5 seed, point blank!
I used to think this way too, but then 5s started beating 1s and the rate of the occurrence has increased.

DuckGuide22

Drop the 3-4a into 3a then take the top 3 seeds. No more 5's beating 1's

HeberFan

Gray lizard

Setting a bracket with the top 2 teams from 6 conferences is not possible or should I say fair. A fair bracket is a task.
I think the top 16 teams should go to state.  It would require cross games between the 6 conferences during the 3 non-conference schedule But it could be done.
I am ok with the current system and AAA is not going to give up the money generated by the 30 games.

bigchief72455

Quote from: DuckGuide22 on November 02, 2018, 01:06:39 pm
Drop the 3-4a into 3a then take the top 3 seeds. No more 5's beating 1's
LOL. Sure thing.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Quote from: Oldman on November 01, 2018, 02:14:23 pm
Hitting the nail on the head! +1

HeberFan

Quote from: DuckGuide22 on November 02, 2018, 12:11:53 pm

Really? When ?

DuckGuide22

I can't remember the exact year but it gave Dewitt a reason to shut the program down since they were under their control. It was the last year Gillett had a program so around 2005

HeberFan

November 05, 2018, 09:45:58 am #33 Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:52:16 am by HeberFan
I wish someone could find information on that.

I think Gillet's last football season was an 0-9 campaign in 2006. School didn't field a team in 2007 due to the inability to hire a coach. Shortly after, the school merged with DeWitt.

DuckGuide22

The district had merged at least 2 years prior to the last season and the students still went to Gillett 2 more years after the program was shut down but could play for the dragons if they chose. And the school could have hired a coach but Dewitt wasn't going to allow that to happen.

Patriot12

Two years ago the 1-4A had 3 teams in the final 4 if we only allowed 2 or 3 teams in it seems likely we would still be allowing teams in that didn't deserve it, at least this way all the teams that do deserve to get in.  I also remember back in the day when I played we finished 7-3 each year and never got a chance to play in a playoff game would have been a great memory.

Baller91

How did the other 5 seeds do? 4A-1's 5 seed got beat 31-7.

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

It was a blood bath for the 5th seeds last night. 

1-4A #5 Gentry lost 31-7 to Mena
2-4A #5 CAC lost 44-14 to Warren
3-4A #5 Pocahontas lost 31-20 to Heber Springs
4-4A #5 Pottsville lost 47-12 to Pulaski Robinson
7-4A #5 Fountain Lake lost 36-14 to Rivercrest
8-4A #5 Star City lost 49-6 to Shiloh Christian

This means 5th seeds went 0-6 by a combined 238-73.  I also know in the case of the Warren vs. CAC game, all 14 of the Mustangs points came against the reserves.  I would imagine that was the same case in the Shiloh vs. Star City and Robinson vs. Pottsville games as well.  I know Fountain Lake held tough against Rivercrest for 3 quarters and Pocahontas put a good scare into Heber Springs. 

So yeah, really rough night for the 4A 5 seeds.  Still, some were able to keep their games competitive at least.  So all 6-games weren't complete curb stompings.

-Kyle

bigchief72455

Pocahontas played one of their more complete games if the season last night. It could have gone either way most of the game. The sophomores were maturing well and #3 did very well. Going to miss these seniors next year but we will return 16 starters so the 'Skins should be alright.

HorseFeathers

Gillette made the playoffs with 0 wins...because Elaine and Eudora schools closed before the season, believe they actually pulled Hermitage into the conference to give it 5 teams.

6a used to send all 16 teams to the playoffs....and I think 6a & 7a still send 6, teams a piece

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas