• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

home field advantage

Started by Gray lizard, November 15, 2014, 04:48:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

First round 12-2 home team wins. I think Dardanelle was the only team that won a first round game last year.  Is home field advantage as big a deal in second round games.

FootBallar21

Quote from: Gray lizard on November 15, 2014, 04:48:15 pm
First round 12-2 home team wins. I think Dardanelle was the only team that won a first round game last year.  Is home field advantage as big a deal in second round games.

Depending on the teams and how far they travel it can be a potentiality a big factor.

That Star City Newport game last week that was pretty close,  if that Game was in Star City  I don't think it would of been no where near as close. 

with a team having to travel 2 or 3 plus hours and with the other team having a strong home fan base,  I think it can easily be worth a TD difference!

LJ06

I don't buy into all that home field advantage crap. Great teams win no matter where the game is played. All home teams in the 1st round are usually higher seeds and are favored to win.

FootBallar21

Quote from: LJ06 on November 16, 2014, 11:15:40 am

I don't buy into all that home field advantage crap. Great teams win no matter where the game is played. All home teams in the 1st round are usually higher seeds and are favored to win.

True great teams, but what if you have a matchup of 2 Great teams.  That both always win ?   you don't give one a slight advantage for playing at home and not having to travel 3 hours ?

mr.b@sc

November 16, 2014, 01:20:31 pm #4 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:36:29 pm by mr.b@sc
I don't think the 3 hour ride is much of a factor, it gives the payers time to hang out and get fired up on the way to the game. It is not like they are traveling in a horse and wagon from 1800's the buses today are a pretty comfortable ride...The ride affects us old folks a whole lot more than the players...

cuckoobird

hogfan10

Quote from: mr.b@sc on November 16, 2014, 01:20:31 pm
I don't think the 3 hour ride is much of a factor, it gives the payers time to hang out and get fired up on the way to the game. It is not like they are traveling in a horse and wagon from 1800's the buses today are a pretty comfortable ride...The ride affects us old folks a whole lot more than the players...

Agree to some degree, but when your talking about 3,4, or 5 hour trips on a bus it can make a difference.
Not necessarily because of discomfort, but more because they get out of their regular game day routine.

scrapiron51

All I'm saying, last year when we got beat by Lincoln in the first round of the playoffs, we would have won that game at home.

LJ06

Quote from: scrapiron51 on November 16, 2014, 01:54:15 pm
All I'm saying, last year when we got beat by Lincoln in the first round of the playoffs, we would have won that game at home.

You lost by 13 on the road.  You could have made up for that playing at home?  Must have some special refs or something!

scrapiron51

It's colder in Northwest Arkansas, it has a different feel to it. Nashville always plays better at home. I will say home field advantage didn't have an impactt in 2007 at Warren. Or in 2006 at WMS.

retiredplayer

Quote from: LJ06 on November 16, 2014, 02:01:35 pm

You lost by 13 on the road.  You could have made up for that playing at home?  Must have some special refs or something!

We shall find out in the semi-finals! 

cuckoobird

CounterPunch

1-3 hour trips have very little effect. When you start dealing with 4-5 hour trips it may take a toll.

FootBallar21

I just know I was taken out of my normal routine, and did not really enjoy my 3 1/2 bus ride to Warren back in 2001.   Then the ride home was much worse LOL

STUNNA

Quote from: FootBallar21 on November 16, 2014, 07:52:38 pm
I just know I was taken out of my normal routine, and did not really enjoy my 3 1/2 bus ride to Warren back in 2001.   Then the ride home was much worse LOL

Lol you played possibly the best 3A team of all time that night

swarfan

Quote from: LJ06 on November 16, 2014, 02:01:35 pm

Bingo!  Have you ever played at Nashville?  The refs are definitely special.  They once had a home win streak of 35 games or so and the crew that was calling the game the night the streak ended has never been allowed back.  They didn't get the memo on Nashville home cooking.... ;D

FootBallar21

Quote from: STUNNA on November 16, 2014, 08:07:40 pm

You're telling Me,  I was a 15 year old Sophomore starting at Left Guard blocking a monster who was being recruited by ASU LOL !

STUNNA

Quote from: FootBallar21 on November 16, 2014, 09:10:48 pm

You're telling Me,  I was a 15 year old Sophomore starting at Left Guard blocking a monster who was being recruited by ASU LOL !

Lol lots of those players were being recruited!!

FootBallar21

Quote from: STUNNA on November 16, 2014, 09:12:21 pm

Yea was only my Sophomore more year, but that was clearly the best team I ever faced and Brett Smith WR, that went on to have a nice Career for the Vols I still say was the best player I ever played against!    I believe the QB went to ASU as well,  and they had a CB or 2 that went to Arkansas, and maybe another that went to Tennessee too,  overall that team was loaded with DI talent, crazy amount for a 4A team!   

STUNNA

Quote from: FootBallar21 on November 16, 2014, 09:21:16 pm
Quote from: STUNNA on November 16, 2014, 09:12:21 pm

Yea was only my Sophomore more year, but that was clearly the best team I ever faced and Brett Smith WR, that went on to have a nice Career for the Vols I still say was the best player I ever played against!    I believe the QB went to ASU as well,  and they had a CB or 2 that went to Arkansas, and maybe another that went to Tennessee too,  overall that team was loaded with DI talent, crazy amount for a 4A team!

A bunch of those guys were just juniors that season and won another title the next seaoson.

scrapiron51

Nashville does not have home cooking lol, half the time we play at home the refs try to beat us.

iivydriff

The way nashville folks always go on about would have won this game at home or that game at home. Kinda made we think some Homecooking might be a tradition there.

hogfan10

Quote from: iivydriff on November 19, 2014, 05:02:22 pm
The way nashville folks always go on about would have won this game at home or that game at home. Kinda made we think some Homecooking might be a tradition there.

I think you're on to something.

D-TOWN LIZARD

~WPS~

The only homecooking is the fans in the stands. I can promise you there is not a ref in this state that wants to help Nashville.

cuckoobird

transplant

It is, never doubt it and always use it as the go to excuse to losing at Nashville.

They also water the field, cut the grass short, let the grass grow long, apply slippery stuff to the field itself and booby trap the footballs (making them fall out of receivers hands.

FootBallar21

Quote from: transplant on November 20, 2014, 07:34:13 am

It is, never doubt it and always use it as the go to excuse to losing at Nashville.

They also water the field, cut the grass short, let the grass grow long, apply slippery stuff to the field itself and booby trap the footballs (making them fall out of receivers hands.

I think it is much more High Tech,  Like a Buffalo Wild Wings Commercial lol

arklasports57

May as well go ahead and visit some relatives in Paducah Friday night.  That's a long freakin haul to Gosnell and it's definitely field advantage for the home fans.  But for the players, they just gotta play another Friday night game and bring home the win.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas