• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Varsity Letter

Started by PurpleDawgsFTW, July 27, 2010, 11:02:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleDawgsFTW

Are there guidelines for achieving Varsity letters posted anywhere online?

Thanks

ricepig

Check with your school, coach, or AD. I'm sure it's different at nearly every school, it may be in your handbook, too.

powerlifter90

I think it depends on the school.  In my day, for football, you had to play at least one down in every game.

Valleysports

There's no meaning to a Letter Jacket anymore.  I couldn't get my kids interested in them, so I've taken all their letters/patches and put them in a Display Picture Case.  Neat to me anyway.  Problem with their school is all you have to do is get in 1 varsity game, and the coach makes sure everyone letter's.  Not much to be proud of!   

ricepig

Yep, I was riding with my son the other day and of course I was getting on him about the mess in the back seat. Of course, in the mess I found 2 letters, "oh, I'm gonna get them". So Valley, I think it comes with the times. I think it's different levels of
participation for different sports at our school. I know it's always hard to get the various coaches to give their lists for the awards ceremony.

Quite Frankly

It used to be a "percentage of quarters" at some schools.  Thus a 10 game season equals 40 quarter and if the standard was 40% you had to appear in 16 quarters.

But it's long lost any meaning as most coaches just decide on their own.  Just being varsity seems to be the deal in most sports though it's kind of a joke for larger school football teams that give letters to kids that are there as window dressing and never play on Fridays.

powerlifter90

Quote from: QF© on July 28, 2010, 03:45:30 pm
It used to be a "percentage of quarters" at some schools.  Thus a 10 game season equals 40 quarter and if the standard was 40% you had to appear in 16 quarters.

But it's long lost any meaning as most coaches just decide on their own.  Just being varsity seems to be the deal in most sports though it's kind of a joke for larger school football teams that give letters to kids that are there as window dressing and never play on Fridays.

I think our basketball coach used the 40% rule which I happen to be fond of.

Valleysports

Title IX is probably what killed the pride in being a Letterman!

ricepig

I've never seen a Jonesboro letterman's jacket, now you can see plenty of the smaller school's kids at the Mall with them on.

Quite Frankly

Jackets are essentially overpriced, rarely warn and thus obsolete.

It's really just lost it's appeal with this entitlement world.

ricepig

I figured it was because it didn't have a Polo pony on it.

powerlifter90

Actually I think letterjackets are much more popular in the rural/smaller schools.  School pride, team pride, etc., are the reasons the jackets are popular in those enviroments and maybe not so much in the urban areas. 

I know when I was growing up you couldn't wait to "earn" a letter so you could put it on the jacket.  Then when the all-conf/all-state/district championship patches came along you couldn't get them on fast enough. 

PurpleDawgsFTW

Yeah, there isn't a lot of interest with our upper classmen girls, but our rising sophmores were very intersted. My daughter was different, she double lettered and wanted a jacket so we've gotten her one. She's really proud of it and I'm proud of her.

The boys have them for football and wrestling. I even had one business who didn't want to sell me jackets for girs, especially if they were the same style as the football boys jackets.

I was just curious if the AAA had guidelines or if it was school specific as I've been asked by some folks.

Thanks for the replies!

Quite Frankly

School specific and sport specific and actually it's more coach specific.  The AAA has nothing to do with it.

Valleysports

Dissapointed that I didn't get a rise out of the Title IX crack  :D  Yeh I've seen the smaller schools wearing them more also.  My daughter just thinks the Letter Jackets are ugly!  But she likes her Letter Blanket and other things hanging in her room.  She didn't get a Class Ring, instead got a comparable birthstone ring that she wears everyday.  Actually makes sense.

If you want to spot me at Tech Games, I'll be standing by the Lady wearing the only Green Tech Letter Sweater from a couple of decades ago!  ;)  I just might go get me the fanciest Letter Jacket and switch the Letter and Patches over this year!  ;D

True Believer

I don't really know the specifics here.  I guess it's the everyone can get one if you can afford it.  The kids here at Marion wear theirs. 

I remember the day we got ours.  It felt like a hundered degrees outside but we wore them anyway...lol.

Yea Valley.  I noticed your dart!!!   Haha. 

sevenof400

The largest problem with letter jackets is that they are too darn hot to wear around here.  Hard to spend that much money and watch them sit in the closet.

Lions84

Clarendon was on the 40% rule when I was playing the exception was if you won District then everyone on the team got a letter.
Clarendon also had a optional Jacket or Sweater for Sr's only!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas