• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting closer

Started by KOJACK, March 12, 2019, 08:36:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KOJACK

I love seeing football getting closer to the top of the boards  ;D

HeadBussa08

Movinggggggg on upppppppppp

CoolBreeze

Quote from: HeadBussa08 on March 12, 2019, 09:32:27 am
Movinggggggg on upppppppppp
Your age must be movin' on up if you remember the theme from The Jeffersons.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 15, 2019, 06:03:54 pm
So?

papaeagle

Oldman:  I am with you and I remember when there were NO TV stations except 2 in Memphis TN and only B and W and on 2-3 hours a day. Only a bowling alley and the drugstore had a 12 inch B/W TV and all the town would show up to see (with haziness) the video feed. Audio was horrible. But it beat getting the Arkansas Gazette with news being 2-3 days old!  So, I am also glad the football boards are moving up, like when B/W TV went to color and 24 hours a day broadcasting. Hope this all makes sense Oldman, and I agree with your ideas on FF! LOL

1wildcat

Quote from: papaeagle on March 17, 2019, 08:54:31 am
Oldman:  I am with you and I remember when there were NO TV stations except 2 in Memphis TN and only B and W and on 2-3 hours a day. Only a bowling alley and the drugstore had a 12 inch B/W TV and all the town would show up to see (with haziness) the video feed. Audio was horrible. But it beat getting the Arkansas Gazette with news being 2-3 days old!  So, I am also glad the football boards are moving up, like when B/W TV went to color and 24 hours a day broadcasting. Hope this all makes sense Oldman, and I agree with your ideas on FF! LOL
You may be older than Oldman!

ISU7

Quote from: Oldman on March 16, 2019, 04:57:27 pm
So?
Exactly, doesn't he realize as years go body everyone ages. lol. ;D

DeeGee

Quote from: KOJACK on March 12, 2019, 08:36:16 am
I love seeing football getting closer to the top of the boards  ;D

Me tooooooo!

DeeGee

Quote from: CoolBreeze on March 15, 2019, 06:03:54 pm

lol!!!!!!

TeeLee

Quote from: papaeagle on March 17, 2019, 08:54:31 am
Papaeagle & oldman you just think your old.  I was born 3 or 4 years before TV was even invented.  before that our only entertainment was an old tube-type radio.  First TV in town was at Bumpus Hardware store.  People would gather on the sidewalk and watch the display in the window. I was about 10 when my parents bought our first TV, a 22 in. floor model black and white.  The only station around was channel 22 in Fort Smith.  TV's have come a long way since then.  By the way that first old TV cost around $500. dollars.

FNL_hero

You're almost 96? I think you're the oldest person on the board.

TeeLee

April 03, 2019, 06:30:44 pm #11 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:45:04 pm by TeeLee
Quote from: FNL_hero on April 03, 2019, 12:55:04 pm
You're almost 96? I think you're the oldest person on the board.

Hero, you or I will need to redo our math.  I may be wrong about when TV was invented, I thought it was in the mid 1940's. Anyway, the first TV to showed up in our area was late 40's or early 50's.  Because I don't mean to miss led anyone.  I was born  Feb. 1943, making me 76 yrs old. Hope this clears things. LRB By the way, I know I'm not the oldest member on this board.  A friend of mine was teaching school when I was in high school.             

Lumberjackfan1978

Glad I'm not the oldest on here

CoolBreeze

Quote from: TeeLee on April 02, 2019, 05:39:50 pm

Papaeagle & oldman you just think your old.  I was born 3 or 4 years before TV was even invented.  before that our only entertainment was an old tube-type radio.  First TV in town was at Bumpus Hardware store.  People would gather on the sidewalk and watch the display in the window. I was about 10 when my parents bought our first TV, a 22 in. floor model black and white.  The only station around was channel 22 in Fort Smith.  TV's have come a long way since then.  By the way that first old TV cost around $500. dollars.
500 bucks was a heap of money back then.

papaeagle

CoolBreeze: 
  Well, I just mentioned that I remembered the first TV in our small southeast AR town but did not tell you my age at the time. I was 8. That was in 1950... I am 77 now. If you had told me we would be on the internet and commenting on FF one day and talking into a Dick Tracy wrist watch AND showing videos of whom we were talking to, I would have considered you a crazy fortune teller for sure!
  Back then you picked up an earphone off the wall phone and spoke into a projecting mouth piece while adjusting it to fit where your mouth was. Then you rang the side crank mechanism in a clockwise fashion to call the female operator downtown on the second floor of an 1890s wooden building so she could plug you into another person in town and ring their # for you. Of course they knew ALL the gossip in town. And there were PARTY lines where 3-4 houses were on the SAME line. You could pick up the earphone element and keep you mouth closed and learn SO much about your neighbors. Our # was two short rings, next door was one long ring and my good friend down the block was a short, then long , then short ring. Morse Code you say?? maybe so..... LOL
  Anyway, it is nice now to have internet and chat in "real time" and get the hot skinny on who will be the next BB coach at the U of A. What better place than with informed FF members?  Forgot where I placed my glass of wine ........ CRS syndrome.
PE

YC

I'm going to take this thread off track a whole bunch more (sorry OP maybe after this it will get back on).

A couple have stated their age on this thread. Well I am several years older than both. About five or six years ago, to my knowledge, there were two people on this board older than I. I have not seen them post in several years now, so I don't know what happened to them. I just may be the oldest poster on here but don't know it for a fact.

To add to my old golfing friend's (let me borrow a tee, lee) post allow me to add a somewhat funny story that perhaps only TeeLee will understand. This is not a lie folks and is a true story.

What TeeLee said about watching TV through the Charleston Hardware window is true. However, there is more to the story. The store had a small side room with a door that opened to the main building and one that opened to the street. At closing time each Saturday Dale would set a TV and several chairs in that room. He would lock the door to the main room and leave to door to the sidewalk open so folks could come in and watch. There were several old men and a few youngsters like myself would go every Saturday night to watch TV. Channel 22 out of Ft. Smith (channel 5 now) was the only station we had—channel 8 out of Tulsa would come in sometimes if the conditions were right but would fade in and out. They always showed wrestling on Saturday night and it was huge at that time. They all wanted to see the wrestling matches. It was nice of Dale to do that but I'm sure it helped him sell a few more TV's as well, Ha-Ha.

There were a couple brothers in town named Punk (nick name) and Eugene. I won't state their last name. Eugene was a brick shy of a load and Punk was at least two and probably three. The both loved watching wrestling and both thought it was for real and could not be convinced it was all scripted and fake. Punk would get so excited during the matches he would be on the edge of his chair, getting up on occasions, flinging his arms around like he was slamming someone to the canvas. He would lose complete control of himself.

One particular night the match featured one named Gorgeous George and another who's I can't remember. George was scripted as a dirty fighter that had long curly blond hair that reached to his shoulders—that was a no-no in those days. He always wore a lot of jewelry and would enter the ring wearing a white fur coat. Everyone hated him. The other was a clean-cut guy that everyone loved. During the match the clean-cut guy got George in a head lock. Punk jumped up and grabbed Eugene in a head lock and almost chocked him to death before the others could get him settled down and pried loose.

Those were the days......   

papaeagle

My former High School football coach Don Floyd of Charleston told me stories many decades ago about those days in Charleston when I told him of the days in my home town in SE Arkansas where he ended up leaving Charleston for. He loved telling stories about Charleston in the 1950s before they had a Junior High football team but he started one in the mid 50s. Ended up being Dale Bumpers' main man in Little Rock later on. I miss Coach Floyd and went to his funeral years ago. Anyway, the old TV viewing room he certainly knew about but no Razorback football to view at that time. The Razorback Foundation was an "unknown name" back 'then'...  Time flies by SO fast for us ole timers. YC can take over for us guys very soon.... ready????
PE

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas