• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 10

Started by Wildcatalumni21, October 17, 2018, 08:27:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hasbeen92

Quote from: Coach95 on October 22, 2018, 09:40:16 pm
Not if your Junction City because they always play with 3A numbers.
Sometimes they have players from Louisiana to help numbers so close to LINE

cuz

October 22, 2018, 10:07:48 pm #101 Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:09:20 pm by cuz
Quote from: Hasbeen92 on October 22, 2018, 09:58:48 pm
Sometimes they have players from Louisiana to help numbers so close to LINE

Hasbeen92

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2018, 10:07:48 pm

Very Crafty but there is some truth to my statement my uncle coached at Smackover in late 70's early 80's

cuz

October 22, 2018, 10:24:09 pm #103 Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 10:28:04 pm by cuz
Quote from: Hasbeen92 on October 22, 2018, 10:12:25 pm
Very Crafty but there is some truth to my statement my uncle coached at Smackover in late 70's early 80's
Sorry grasshopper been hearing these fantasy's since I played in the 60s. People just can't accept the truth. This subject is brought up every year getting old.....

Wildcatalumni21

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2018, 10:24:09 pm
Sorry grasshopper been hearing these fantasy's since I played in the 60s. People just can't accept the truth. This subject is brought up every year getting old.....

I know a certain superstar that played at JC that was from across state lines back in the day 🙄🤔

cuz

Quote from: Wildcatalumni21 on October 22, 2018, 10:33:03 pm
I know a certain superstar that played at JC that was from across state lines back in the day 🙄🤔

cuz

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2018, 10:40:12 pm

No one has every denied that JC ha La. students they have since the school was stared. Go study Bleudog's posts you could learn from them....

Hasbeen92

Quote from: cuz on October 22, 2018, 10:43:54 pm
No one has every denied that JC ha La. students they have since the school was stared. Go study Bleudog's posts you could learn from them....
I could care less I was just stating that is one of reasons y'all have more players than most 2a schools kids for Louisiana come there to play football not for educational reasons

THA TRUTH

It has more to do with winning than where kids live...

eldofan

Quote from: THA TRUTH on October 23, 2018, 01:32:01 am
It has more to do with winning than where kids live...
Exactly. Pc is one of the largest 2a schools but have a roster of only 24 kids . There's not a football tradition at Pc like JC . Consistent winning brings kids out. Look at West Monroe high school . They Consistently have rosters with over 100 kids every year . When u are consistently competing for titles every year kids come out to play Fb.

DnA Prostaff

Anyone have the link to the bracket?

dragonator

Quote from: Hasbeen92 on October 22, 2018, 10:58:14 pm
I could care less I was just stating that is one of reasons y'all have more players than most 2a schools kids for Louisiana come there to play football not for educational reasons

I realize that most will not care, but here goes anyway. I live in La and my children went to Jc. I went to a lot of expense, and trouble, for them to be legally enrolled. It was not for sports, even though all played, but it was the only choice educationally. La had closed both area high schools that were within twenty miles of Jc. The nearest high school, for most of the kids on the La side of Jc, is fifty miles away. Its not all about sports but having a school in your own community to send your children to. You can't fault parents or students for that. There are not hundreds of students roaming the hall of Jc that are hidden or not counted. As far as that goes, there where tons more La students at Jc during the 70s-90s than there are now. Where are all the football championships from that era? If the key to the equation is these super talented La kids, Jc should have been a sports powerhouse for the last 50 years.

Old Scrapper

I was hoping the La kids bull wouldn't startup again, is there really anything that anyone can say now than hasn't been said for the last 10 years?

IdaLions

Quote from: dragonator on October 23, 2018, 12:22:39 pm
I realize that most will not care, but here goes anyway. I live in La and my children went to Jc. I went to a lot of expense, and trouble, for them to be legally enrolled. It was not for sports, even though all played, but it was the only choice educationally. La had closed both area high schools that were within twenty miles of Jc. The nearest high school, for most of the kids on the La side of Jc, is fifty miles away. Its not all about sports but having a school in your own community to send your children to. You can't fault parents or students for that. There are not hundreds of students roaming the hall of Jc that are hidden or not counted. As far as that goes, there where tons more La students at Jc during the 70s-90s than there are now. Where are all the football championships from that era? If the key to the equation is these super talented La kids, Jc should have been a sports powerhouse for the last 50 years.

People just tell themselves that Junction is only good because they pull kids from  Louisiana. Honestly it's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. Just because they are from another state doesn't make them better than the ones on this side of the border. They have gotten so good because they have had the players and coaches put in hard work, and have a small town tradition helps. People are horrible at making excuses to why they aren't winning, so that's excuse is what people believe. Just a question, how big is Junction City? How's many kids do they have and how big is the town?

eldofan

October 23, 2018, 04:40:48 pm #115 Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:42:28 pm by eldofan
Quote from: IdaLions on October 23, 2018, 03:07:19 pm
People just tell themselves that Junction is only good because they pull kids from  Louisiana. Honestly it's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard. Just because they are from another state doesn't make them better than the ones on this side of the border. They have gotten so good because they have had the players and coaches put in hard work, and have a small town tradition helps. People are horrible at making excuses to why they aren't winning, so that's excuse is what people believe. Just a question, how big is Junction City? How's many kids do they have and how big is the town?
Both towns have about 550 a piece  According to the AAA 175 kids in High school . They usually have 35 to 40 kids on the varsity roster

Hasbeen92

I think they are good because of coach Carpenter and that is why kids from wherever go there when I played Barton back in 91 they had a few players from Memphis area because they had a great coach and were delivering Rings who doesn't want a Ring I wish I had one

cuz

IdaLions

Quote from: Hasbeen92 on October 23, 2018, 07:38:41 pm
I think they are good because of coach Carpenter and that is why kids from wherever go there when I played Barton back in 91 they had a few players from Memphis area because they had a great coach and were delivering Rings who doesn't want a Ring I wish I had one

I can see that too. Coach Carpenter made a tradition there that will attract more people then most. But so do other powerhouse teams. Either way Junction is always good, they reload very fast. My father played Barton I think in 88. His team had the #1 defense going into the game, and they beat Ida 58-0😂 Said he's never had his rear kicked so bad

Hasbeen92

Quote from: IdaLions on October 23, 2018, 07:55:06 pm
I can see that too. Coach Carpenter made a tradition there that will attract more people then most. But so do other powerhouse teams. Either way Junction is always good, they reload very fast. My father played Barton I think in 88. His team had the #1 defense going into the game, and they beat Ida 58-0😂 Said he's never had his rear kicked so bad
Barton-only game I ever played that I was nervous before it started they looked like a college team in warm-up they even ran out of locker in a scripted way

HorseFeathers

Y'all do know that Junction City was pretty bad at football when they were getting kids from Union and Claiborne Parrishes...

baseball13

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 31, 2018, 11:24:33 am
Y'all do know that Junction City was pretty bad at football when they were getting kids from Union and Claiborne Parrishes...

my dad said when he was in school back in the late 70s JC was a very weak team.

HorseFeathers

And they got those kids without the loophole Charter school back then

Flobbito

The nearest H.S. in Lousiana to JC is Summerfield about 15 miles away, no football team.  After that it is sprawled out, not much by way of population until you get closer to Farmerville, which is about 29 miles away.  Point being that it is closer for a lot of LA kids to play at Junction than in LA schools.  Plus the school system statewide is wanting.

dawgpound

does spearsville still have a school

eldofan

Quote from: dawgpound on October 31, 2018, 01:54:01 pm
does spearsville still have a school
No. only high schools in union parish now are union parish high and darborne charter

bleudog

November 06, 2018, 10:26:38 pm #126 Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 08:47:00 am by bleudog

662 kids in K-12 this fall
479 of these live north of Stateline Rd
183 of these live south of Stateline Rd

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/240447/2018-2019_Annual_Report_to_PUBLIC2.pdf
(pages 9 and 10)

The ADE and AAA know about all of them.

Virtually all of these kids live within 8 or 9 miles of the campus.

There is no school campus in Junction City, LA so it's not a pick and choose situation.  The district is far from symmetric, but basically if the JC AR campus is closest to your front door, that's the school you go to.

The Junction City, AR campus is literally six blocks or less from the state line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0167112,-92.7270294,16.25z

The 180 or so LA student count is the maximum established at this time by the Louisiana equivalent of the ADE.   There is a waiting list for the charter.  Admission involves a lottery as spaces become available.  Here's their admission policy. (The reference to 120 students was the cap at the original setup and called for tier increases over time.)  They were just approved by LA for another three years. 

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/103417/NECC_Admission_and_enrollment_plan.pdf

NECC is probably the only charter in the country that wasn't formed by parents to get kids out of a school.  It was formed by parents to keep their kids in a school their families have been attending for generations.

cuz

Thanks once again Bleu for your knowledge and insight on this subject for the 100th time......

bleudog

Quote from: cuz on November 07, 2018, 08:19:53 am
Thanks once again Bleu for your knowledge and insight on this subject for the 100th time......

I kind of lived the challenge our forefathers did last Sunday. 

I was always told Ward 9 ends at that bayou between JC and Summerfield on HWY 9.  That bridge not being there was a significant factor in the LA kids going to JC, AR.  When the bridge was build in the 30's or so, the policy continued because it made so much sense for a kid to go 12 blocks rather than 12 miles to a school.

That bridge is closed for repairs and won't be available for at least a month.  I drive to Minden on Sundays for family obligations so now I'm driving to Bernice then thru Lisbon to get to Homer.  Hopefully they'll stay on time and get that bridge back open in the projected time frame.   Fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.  ;D

GatorBall

Quote from: bleudog on November 06, 2018, 10:26:38 pm
662 kids in K-12 this fall
479 of these live north of Stateline Rd
183 of these live south of Stateline Rd

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/240447/2018-2019_Annual_Report_to_PUBLIC2.pdf
(pages 9 and 10)

The ADE and AAA know about all of them.

Virtually all of these kids live within 8 or 9 miles of the campus.

There is no school campus in Junction City, LA so it's not a pick and choose situation.  The district is far from symmetric, but basically if the JC AR campus is closest to your front door, that's the school you go to.

The Junction City, AR campus is literally six blocks or less from the state line.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.0167112,-92.7270294,16.25z

The 180 or so LA student count is the maximum established at this time by the Louisiana equivalent of the ADE.   There is a waiting list for the charter.  Admission involves a lottery.  Here's their admission policy. The reference to 120 students was the cap at the original setup and called for tier increases over time.  They were just approved by LA for another three years. 

https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/103417/NECC_Admission_and_enrollment_plan.pdf

NECC is probably the only charter in the country that wasn't formed by parents to get kids out of a school.  It was formed by parents to keep their kids in a school their families have been attending for generations.

Once a school gets very competitive in all sports, as Junction City has, then it will bring kids from neighboring towns and communities to that school just so they have a better chance of being part of a winning program. To me there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with that. Just because kids are coming from across state lines doesn't necessarily mean they are better athletes, unless they are screening the kids that come across...lol

The question that I have is in regards to something that someone recently told me about Junction City and that is they are not required to count their LA students as part of their student enrollment. I have no idea of whether or not that is true and I'm not trying to imply that it is. However, if that is true, it seems to me that it could give them a little of a competitive advantage since it would give them more students to compete with without having to potentially move up in classification. Does anyone know if that is true?

Redzone

Serious question. How does the AAA determine if a school is 2A or 3A? JC's high school enrollment numbers for 2016-2018 was 186 kids and was 3A, but the 2018-2020 numbers show 209 kids and puts them in 2A.

bleudog

November 07, 2018, 09:24:49 am #131 Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:30:30 am by bleudog
Quote from: GatorBall on November 07, 2018, 09:09:01 am
Once a school gets very competitive in all sports, as Junction City has, then it will bring kids from neighboring towns and communities to that school just so they have a better chance of being part of a winning program. To me there is nothing morally or ethically wrong with that. Just because kids are coming from across state lines doesn't necessarily mean they are better athletes, unless they are screening the kids that come across...lol

The question that I have is in regards to something that someone recently told me about Junction City and that is they are not required to count their LA students as part of their student enrollment. I have no idea of whether or not that is true and I'm not trying to imply that it is. However, if that is true, it seems to me that it could give them a little of a competitive advantage since it would give them more students to compete with without having to potentially move up in classification. Does anyone know if that is true?

It is NOT true.

I would advise you to take whatever you hear from that "someone" in the future as coming from a person who has a personal agenda and/or no clue what they are talking about.

ALL STUDENTS are reported to ADE.  There is a field in the reporting software for out-of-state students.  This is the same reporting software used by all Arkansas schools so you can ask someone at your local school if you'd like.  I understand there is a school on the MO that has a few kids in its halls who don't live in Arkansas but obviously not the numbers JC does.  The use of the field in the software is, among other things, so that out-of-state kids are counted for athletic classification purposes but the out-of-state kids do not receive Arkansas tax money for their educations. 

And no, JC doesn't take the LA kids on for free.  There is a contract between the Junction City SD and NECC for JC to be the provider of education services to the NECC kids.  The money used to pay for the education of the LA kids comes from LA tax payers.

Again, every kid walking the halls in the JC, AR SD is reported to ADE and that database is what is used by AAA to determine classifications.

GatorBall

Quote from: bleudog on November 07, 2018, 09:24:49 am
It is NOT true.

I would advise you to take whatever you hear from that "someone" in the future as coming from a person who has a personal agenda and/or no clue what they are talking about.

ALL STUDENTS are reported to ADE.  There is a field in the reporting software for out-of-state students.  This is the same reporting software used by all Arkansas schools so you can ask someone at your local school if you'd like.  I understand there is a school on the MO that has a few kids in its halls who don't live in Arkansas but obviously not the numbers JC does.  The use of the field in the software is, among other things, so that out-of-state kids are counted for athletic classification purposes but the out-of-state kids do not receive Arkansas tax money for their educations. 

And no, JC doesn't take the LA kids on for free.  There is a contract between the Junction City SD and NECC for JC to be the provider of education services to the NECC kids.  The money used to pay for the education of the LA kids comes from LA tax payers.

Again, every kid walking the halls in the JC, AR SD is reported to ADE and that database is what is used by AAA to determine classifications.

That clarifies it and makes since.

bleudog

November 07, 2018, 11:17:00 am #133 Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 12:44:27 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Redzone on November 07, 2018, 09:24:29 am
Serious question. How does the AAA determine if a school is 2A or 3A? JC's high school enrollment numbers for 2016-2018 was 186 kids and was 3A, but the 2018-2020 numbers show 209 kids and puts them in 2A.

There's not a specific school size that determines class.  The schools are listed largest to smallest and lines are drawn based on how many schools are put in each classification.  2A is the catchall for all football schools left.  And there is an adjustment for private schools but I'm not going to get into that.

The 209 you referenced was calculated in error.  Here's a summary of how the error occurred and was corrected.

AAA takes ADE attendance numbers for the prior three years of 9th, 10th and 11th grades and averages them to come up with were the schools fall on the list. 

ADE used to send JC's numbers to AAA in two different files (in-state and out-of-state).  The AAA would combine the number to make sure JC was in the right class.  This was probably manual since as far as I know there is no other school that would have an out-of-state student group material enough to affect class changes.

One year during the third year of the average group, ADE combined the two databases in the numbers sent to AAA.  AAA still combined the numbers but since ADE had already combined them, that caused one year of LA kids to be counted twice and put JC on the list just above the cut off point.

JC administration didn't appeal and decided to go ahead and play two years in 3A.  I guess it was less travel, less chance of having football games cancelled due to 2A schools dropping football and the thought that in the next reclassification JC might actually grow into 3A numbers.

Well the growth didn't happen and during the most recent reclassification, the AAA counted the LA kids twice for all three years.  JC administration did appeal and was able to show that there was no longer a need for the AAA to combine the in-state and out-of-state numbers from ADE because ADE is now already doing that.  JC won their appeal and were dropped down to 2A where their numbers would have put them if the double up mistake hadn't occurred.

Here's an old post if it helps illustrate.

Quote from: bleudog on May 04, 2017, 09:10:01 pm

JC 2012-2013
9th  47
10th  48
11th  42
      137 This number is in-state only.  The out-of-state totals were submitted to the ADE who forwards them to AAA to be added.

JC 2013-2014
9th   51
10th  41
11th  49
      141 This number is in-state only.  The out-of-state totals were submitted to the ADE who forwards them to AAA to be added.

JC 2014-2015
  9th   58
10th   66
11th   52
       176  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2015-2016
9th   65
10th  52
11th  61
      178  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

JC 2016-2017
9th   50
10th   62
11th   54
      166  This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in of the second file is needed.

Now keep up colt,
2014-15  176
2015-16  178
2016-17  166
3 YR AVG 173.33 This total includes both in-state and out-of-state so no adding in the second file is needed.

AAA didn't pick up on ADE combining the two student totals after 2013-2014 and AAA failed to stop adding the two data groups together.

It's just math.

For probably the last 20+ years, JC had averaged graduating mid-to-high 50s to low-to-mid 60s.  Those numbers include both LA and AR kids and would have during that period had JC as a large 2A school for most cycles.

Redzone

That's a lot of good info. Thanks for breaking that down

bleudog

November 07, 2018, 01:17:23 pm #135 Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:24:58 pm by bleudog
RZ and BG, looks like the links from my older copied post have gone stale.

Here's one to Forman's data  if you're interested or want to search other schools.

https://adedata.arkansas.gov/statewide/ReportList/Schools/EnrollmentByGrade.aspx?year=29&search=foreman&pagesize=10

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas