• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 12, 2018, 05:33:46 pm
I know it took him 3 years to get SMU bowl eligible, but why do you think it'll take that long here?  None of the last 3 coaches has needed 3 years to get bowl eligible.  Or do you mean compete for a trip to Atlanta?  In that case 3 years is probably optimistic.

Because the program is a mess, and this is SEC not AAC.  I worry about the players and the staff being good enough to get it done in less than 3.

Valleysports

Quote from: beach bum on January 12, 2018, 03:05:09 pm
A&M is going to finish 6-6 or 7-5 next year so we can actually win that game early in the year.... I have no idea why Fisher would ever leave Florida State for Texas A&M. Well we all know why and that has 75 million answers. Besides that Florida State is a much better job. Kirk left early for A&M and he was the big play threat that won them games the last 2 years. Now for Arkansas, they won't be very good either. A very favorable schedule of Vandy and Mizzou from the East along with 4 games against non power 5 schools will help. Arkansas's season will all come down to if they can go to Fort Collins and beat Colorado State. That won't be an easy game early in a season. If they win that they'll go 4-0 in non conference and find a way to get 2 wins between Miss State, Ole Miss, Vandy, Mizzou, and A&M. I think 6-6 will happen year one even with a suspect roster for Arkansas because they'll win a couple close games they need in a soft by SEC standards schedule.

Well it's hard to argue with Arkansas possibly winning two SEC games and the non conference schedule being weak. Back in the SEC - A&M beat Arkansas (sixth straight year) without their QB, lost in the first game of the season. They have a team of young SEC Players, Morris tried to recruit to SMU. With schools getting new coaches and restarting their programs, finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th in the SEC West will come down to who rebuilds the fastest.   

RZback

Quote from: Valleysports on January 14, 2018, 06:10:32 am
Well it's hard to argue with Arkansas possibly winning two SEC games and the non conference schedule being weak. Back in the SEC - A&M beat Arkansas (sixth straight year) without their QB, lost in the first game of the season. They have a team of young SEC Players, Morris tried to recruit to SMU. With schools getting new coaches and restarting their programs, finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th in the SEC West will come down to who rebuilds the fastest.   

Certainly a weak 2018 schedule.

gameoflife

If we cannot win 6 we have problems.  Well, we do have problems but still we should win 6 or 7 games against that cupcake schedule.

bleudog

bdubyab60

gameoflife

My hope is that we don't just hit that 7-8 wins a season mark and think we have done something.  The goal I hope, the intent, was to get a guy that would take us to 10 win seasons and a position in the SEC where somebody realistically thought we could win the West, and the Conference and break the top 10-15.   

RZback

I just want to win the ones we are supposed to win, win a majority of the tough games and once in a while beat a top 10 team.  That would get us to the 10 wins I think. I think it will be a long wait.

bdubyab60

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 15, 2018, 03:38:17 pm
I don't want teams to want to place us.

I assume you mean play, well everyone wants to play us right now.

gameoflife

I think UA is trying to find some junior college teams that we can get on that schedule.

Lionheart88

Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2018, 01:06:22 am
Because the program is a mess, and this is SEC not AAC.  I worry about the players and the staff being good enough to get it done in less than 3.
We were 4-8 last year.  If it takes the new staff 3 years to get 2 games better, then Morris is a failure and needs to be fired.

RZback

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 15, 2018, 07:03:36 pm
We were 4-8 last year.  If it takes the new staff 3 years to get 2 games better, then Morris is a failure and needs to be fired.

I'd agree with that.  I think a fair number of people expect us to turn it around pretty quickly. 6-7 games next year and 8 or more the next.  I'm not sure how much chance there is of that but we do have a weak schedule and that should help produce wins.

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on January 15, 2018, 03:58:09 pm
I assume you mean play, well everyone wants to play us right now.
Yeah phone got me. I don't want teams chalking is up for a win or hey we can play arkansas for homecoming.

Lionheart88

Quote from: RZback on January 15, 2018, 07:11:33 pm
I'd agree with that.  I think a fair number of people expect us to turn it around pretty quickly. 6-7 games next year and 8 or more the next.  I'm not sure how much chance there is of that but we do have a weak schedule and that should help produce wins.
I could see 5-7 this year, but they should definitely be bowl eligible in year 2.  One game per year improvement is ok with me as long as it's steady improvement.

RZback

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 16, 2018, 01:44:21 am
I could see 5-7 this year, but they should definitely be bowl eligible in year 2.  One game per year improvement is ok with me as long as it's steady improvement.

1 game a year improvement would take a long time to hit 10 wins.  Need to hit at least 6 this coming year to get back on balance.  winning only 5 is not much improvement, we should have won 6 last year but for poor second half play in a lot of games.  I'd say 3 years and we should be bumping the door of 10 wins, if not there real close.

gameoflife

All anyone can do at this point is sit and wait and hope we hired the right guy and that he hires the right guys and they recruit the right guys.

RZback

Quote from: gameoflife on January 18, 2018, 10:56:54 am
All anyone can do at this point is sit and wait and hope we hired the right guy and that he hires the right guys and they recruit the right guys.

Been waiting 4 years already, it's time to get it rolling.

nuttinbuthogs

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 19, 2018, 09:16:38 am
We will not know until the Fall. 

I think all in all is was not a spectacular hire and I believe that is what many Hog fans were hoping for, a spectacular hire, and so there is caution concerning how good the Hogs may be and how soon success will come.

sportsguy80

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on January 19, 2018, 10:51:33 am
I think all in all is was not a spectacular hire and I believe that is what many Hog fans were hoping for, a spectacular hire, and so there is caution concerning how good the Hogs may be and how soon success will come.
Exactly.

bdubyab60

Well he's got some high level recruits coming to look at us this weekend or here soon. Some of the guys that keep up with recruiting seem excited about them anyway. So at least we have our hat in on some good recruits. Whether we land them remains to be seen

gameoflife

Did I hear correctly that we have lost several recruits that had previously commited since coach Morris was hired?  If true who were they?

bdubyab60

We had a few decommit. But have picked up more than decommited. Picked up Myles Mason today, flipped him from MSU. Had offers from Bama, Auburn, FSU TN and others. High 3 star safety out of Bama.

bdubyab60

63rd National Rank, 14th SEC Rank

Offense (5)
QB 4* Connor Noland, 6'3", 205, Greenwood HS, Greenwood, AR (305th Natl)
OT 3* Noah Gatlin, 6'7", 300, Jonesboro HS, Jonesboro, AR (870th Natl)
WR 3* Michael Woods, 6'1", 188, Magnolia HS, Magnolia, TX (581st Natl)
OT 3* Silas Robinson, 6'4", 300, Yoakum HS, Yoakum, TX (NA Natl)
RB 3* Rakeem Boyd, 5'11", 200, Ind CC, Independence, KS (64th Natl)

Defense (8)
ILB 4* Bumper Pool, 6'2", 213, Lovejoy HS, Lucas, TX (264th Natl)
DE 3* Isaiah Nichols, 6'4", 275, Springdale HS, Springdale, AR (816th Natl)
CB 3* LaDarrius Bishop, 6'0", 180, Ashdown HS, Ashdown, AR (557th Natl)
SDE 3* Nick Fulwider, 6'7", 249, Sandy Creek HS, Tyron, GA (728th Natl)
DT 3* Billy Ferrel, 6'3, 331, Fordyce HS, Fordyce, AR (NA Natl)
S 3* Myles Mason, 6'2", 205, Trussville, AL (496 Natl)
WDE 3* Courtre Alexander, 6'4", 260, Owasso HS, Owasso, OK (846th Natl)
ILB 3* Andrew Parker, 6'1", 225, Sophie Wright, New Orleans, LA (NA Natl)

bdubyab60

I think what B.B. has commuted was in the 70s or 80s rank wise. But that's a current list of signees and commits.

Plus he's already offering 2019 and 2020 guys. Most that I've read about have good offer lists.

Interested in what he can actually land. We be nice to land some big time recruits for a change

Cabotfan

Quote from: gameoflife on January 22, 2018, 02:55:42 pm
Did I hear correctly that we have lost several recruits that had previously commited since coach Morris was hired?  If true who were they?

They lost a DL out of Georgia and an OL out of Pulaski Academy. Not sure how many more.

bdubyab60

beach bum

I knew our class was not great, but wow I did not know 63rd overall so far and even behind Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Missouri. That is just bad....

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

Plus another reason it's so low is we aren't able to sign a full class

gameoflife

One guy in the top 100 nationally?  Is that correct?   Boy.

footballfan-tastic

Going to be a long process I think.  UA's reputation is not going to get it a bunch of 4* recruit right now.  That new staff better be coaching whizzes.

nuttinbuthogs

Any truth that one of our QB's is leaving?

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 30, 2018, 11:38:09 am
Any truth that one of our QB's is leaving?

I don't think we have one QB on this roster even close to capable of running his offense right now...

OB11

It's inevitable that at least one of them leaves IMO.

AT

This offense is similar to what Ty Storey ran in high school.

bdubyab60

By what I've been reading we are probably over signing and expect more to leave in the spring.

Morris has improved this class and showing that he's not afraid to offer big time recruits. Next year will tell us how good at landing them he is

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 30, 2018, 07:27:14 pm
By what I've been reading we are probably over signing and expect more to leave in the spring.

Morris has improved this class and showing that he's not afraid to offer big time recruits. Next year will tell us how good at landing them he is

Wow!  Not afraid to offer big time recruits!  I hope he's not afraid. If he is we don't need him.    I think we will definitely have a QB or two gone by the season's start.

footballfan-tastic

Real question is like the man said, is he any good at getting the good ones?

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on January 31, 2018, 09:33:11 am
Wow!  Not afraid to offer big time recruits!  I hope he's not afraid. If he is we don't need him.    I think we will definitely have a QB or two gone by the season's start.
Hasnt offered anything below a 4 for 2019 and 2020 that I have seen.

It will come down to getting the fish in the boat and I can't remember any coach of ours going in to big boy territory and going after players

RZback

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 31, 2018, 07:33:34 pm
Hasnt offered anything below a 4 for 2019 and 2020 that I have seen.

It will come down to getting the fish in the boat and I can't remember any coach of ours going in to big boy territory and going after players

Well I know a little about fishing and to catch the big ones you need the right bait.  Right now that means we need some quality wins and more total wins.   Plus asking and getting are not the same thing.  Time is not on our side.

bdubyab60

Until then there's basketball. Oh wait, baseball yeah baseball is what I meant

footballfan-tastic

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 03, 2018, 04:51:53 pm
Until then there's basketball. Oh wait, baseball yeah baseball is what I meant

Track and gymnastics may be a better bet

bdubyab60

gameoflife

I hear a lot of scholarships were offered for 2018.  Wonder how those will shake out because we don't have that many open scholarships. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: gameoflife on February 05, 2018, 12:18:53 pm
I hear a lot of scholarships were offered for 2018.  Wonder how those will shake out because we don't have that many open scholarships.
The good thing is I'm hearing that few if any will transfer but it's still kinda early.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 30, 2018, 04:59:15 pm
This offense is similar to what Ty Storey ran in high school.
Similar how?  Seems like anything that could be run at the 3A high school level would be incredibly simple and basic compared to what a supposed offensive whiz kid would be running in the SEC.

bdubyab60

Well Gus runs the same thing he was running in 2A level. It still puts points in the board. Morris also uses some of that same offense. Just tweaks it and uses variations of it.

He puts points in the board. Clemson as the OC and at SMU.

A play doesn't have to be complicated or complex to be effective. Just create the right matchup, be executed well and put players in the right spots to make plays.

I mean the Eagles just uses a mainly zone read and RPO offense to win a super bowl.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas