• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High School Out of Season Play

Started by FutbolPhan, August 27, 2016, 02:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FutbolPhan

Are there rules in place that allow high school teams to play games and scrimmages vs. other high schools and club teams in the fall?

VHSCoach2

From the AAA handbook:

SECTION 3. INTERSCHOLASTIC PARTICIPATION
A. Member schools are NOT permitted to participate with:
1. Arkansas schools that are not members of the AAA;
B. Member schools may not participate in athletic competition (including scrimmage) with teams or
individuals of any non-school groups, organizations, etc., except for charitable purposes, when such
events are under school sponsorship.

Playing in a scrimmage against another team at any point before or after could result in the loss of non-conference games if deemed necessary by the AAA.

However, there are a number of high school teams whose players play together on club teams during the fall.  The AAA rule for that is that there has to be at least one person on the club team (an 8th grader for instance) who is not associated with the high school team.

thebeaufyfullgame

So, if a team want to go to, a showcase in January and there is some 8th graders on that team, there will be no problems with AAA rules?

sevenof400

8th graders play in college showcases frequently, that isn't unprecedented. 

Know too that showcases stop after a certain date.

thebeaufyfullgame

In this case the team is made of players from 8th-10th grade.
And some HS coaches, ones players make the HS team, dont let them play anywhere else for any circumstances.

I think this something where we get more people talking about because some HS thinks that they own the players ones they make the roster.

And HS soccer dont give you the same exposure as a showcase tournament

sevenof400

Quote from: thebeaufyfullgame on December 02, 2016, 02:58:54 pm
In this case the team is made of players from 8th-10th grade.

This is definitely a problem area in Arkansas High School soccer - but like many problems, there isn't really a one size fits all solution. 

In areas where there is a meaningful club option, it is usually the case the soccer environment is better in club than high school, but this is not the case everywhere.  Some high schools can produce a decent training environment. 

Some high schools produce the only training environment. 

The question (as always) is where is the best training environment for your soccer player. 

And some HS coaches, ones players make the HS team, dont let them play anywhere else for any circumstances.
I think this something where we get more people talking about because some HS thinks that they own the players ones they make the roster.

Technically speaking, a coach can't do this BUT good luck trying to get through to the coach trying this and even more luck will be needed if you escalate the issue to the administration. 

In my experience, my kids were never placed in this situation.  The reality is that once player ages to the high school age levels, the club options evaporate.  The de facto reality is (in Arkansas anyway) that it's high school or nothing during the spring.  If a coach is keeping a player from participating in other sports, I'd be talking to the coach of the other sport as well.  At most every level of high school athletics, good athletes need to be shared among the sports.     

And HS soccer dont give you the same exposure as a showcase tournament

On its own, HS Soccer gives you NO exposure to college.  It's up to the player to persuade the college coach to come watch him/her and if a high school game is all you can offer, better hope it is among some of the better teams.  I've seen college coaches at high school games on rare occasions (so it can happen) but their presence was likely the result of a player (or players) contacting the coach to arrange the coach's presence.   

thebeaufyfullgame

Yeah!
Good point of view.
I think their is better couching at club level than it is in many HS (not all)
There is some  HS with great coaches and some that dont fit the bill.
They get a lot of talent coming to HS and sometimes looks like the talent is to much for them to continuo develop.
Many club classic teams boys or girls can beat their HS team.
I understand for freshman size and speed may bothered a bit, but classic division is very competitive.
Their is many freahman more skill and talented than many senior and still have to go trough adapting. And also politics have to do a lot with this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas