• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

long trips

Started by pinkpanther, February 08, 2006, 07:09:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkpanther

i know that huntsville has some pretty long trips( vilonia greenbrier morrilton) i was just wondering how long are other teams trips

bbmom

Yeah, there are a lot of long trips in this conference for all the teams--in fact, other than Greenbrier & Vilonia, which are both about 35 minutes from Morrilton, I think the next shortest place for us to go is Alma, which is about 95 miles. Last night's little jaunt up to Harrison was about 115 miles each way. Not sure the exact distance between Mo-Town & Huntsville, but the drive makes it much longer time-wise than the mileage. It's still probably over 100 miles, though. And Siloam Springs--that's a hecuva long drive!

pinkpanther

bout how many hours away is siloam for you

bbmom

Quote from: pinkpanther on February 08, 2006, 12:12:23 pm
bout how many hours away is siloam for you
Gosh, that was over 2 weeks ago!
Let's see...it takes me exactly (going 74 mph) 2 hours to get to the "Fayetteville next 6 exits" sign, so I guess it was probably about 2 hours & 40 min. or so to get to Siloam. It was still quite a ways after I turned west.

Rulesman

Blytheville to Beebe is 180 miles on Mapquest. Wrong thread, but it is dang near 200 miles from West Memphis to Mountain Home. Surely that wins the Road Warrior Award!

bbmom

Wow--I think we're even closer to Mtn. Home and W Memphis both than 200 miles! I know we're about 180 to Memphis. Who figures these conferences anyway?

Rulesman

Quote from: bbmom on February 08, 2006, 09:16:23 pm
Wow--I think we're even closer to Mtn. Home and W Memphis both than 200 miles! I know we're about 180 to Memphis. Who figures these conferences anyway?
Enrollment  :P

bbmom

Well, duh! I meant who puts which schools in their conferences? I know the AAA does. That's the whole problem! ;D

Rulesman

You are going to have this problem so long as you try to put 8 team conferences together based on enrollment. Bad as it is, it is certainly better than Tennessee where conferences are grouped by enrollment regionally, rather than statewide. There are actually some 3 and 4 team conferences. The result? A 2-7 team making the football playoffs and having to travel somewhere to face someone 10-0 or 9-1... with NO MERCY RULE!

msubulldogs21

Blytheville to Beebe is one long trip, that's for sure! Next year we'll have North Pulaski in our conference, who is over a 3 hour trip and will be losing Marion, a 45 one. What luck!

With North Pulaski in the AAAA East starting next season they'll have a lot of long trips themselves too and so will the other teams that have to go and play there.

There are always some teams that have longer trips than others, but that's something out of everyone's control and those are just things we all have to deal with. I wish some of the teams were closer but when you're winning those rides home seem a whole lot shorter than when you lose!

bbmom

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 08, 2006, 09:36:10 pm
Blytheville to Beebe is one long trip, that's for sure! Next year we'll have North Pulaski in our conference, who is over a 3 hour trip and will be losing Marion, a 45 one. What luck!

With North Pulaski in the AAAA East starting next season they'll have a lot of long trips themselves too and so will the other teams that have to go and play there.

There are always some teams that have longer trips than others, but that's something out of everyone's control and those are just things we all have to deal with. I wish some of the teams were closer but when you're winning those rides home seem a whole lot shorter than when you lose!

That's the kind of stuff that gets me, though. Morrilton is 45 minutes from Beebe and probably an hour from N. Pulaski and they're in a conference with y'all, who live several hours away. Yet, instead of putting us with those schools and perhaps Pulaski Robinson & Pul Oak Grove (both within an hour's drive of Mo-Town), we're with all the NWA schools. Just makes no sense. It's better than Tennessee's system that someone posted about earlier. And we won't be able to change it, so might as well get some good CDs to take along for the ride!

pioneerbasketball

I remember back in jr.high I had 3 games in 5 days. Home game against wynne,and away games to marion, and osceola.  Osceola-125 miles Marion-116 miles. Osceola and Marion games was back to back.

chicks_hogs12

blytheville to batesville is pretty bad 2

msubulldogs21

Quote from: bbmom on February 08, 2006, 10:25:16 pm
That's the kind of stuff that gets me, though. Morrilton is 45 minutes from Beebe and probably an hour from N. Pulaski and they're in a conference with y'all, who live several hours away. Yet, instead of putting us with those schools and perhaps Pulaski Robinson & Pul Oak Grove (both within an hour's drive of Mo-Town), we're with all the NWA schools. Just makes no sense. It's better than Tennessee's system that someone posted about earlier. And we won't be able to change it, so might as well get some good CDs to take along for the ride!

That's too bad that they can't have a conference like the one you are talking about because it would be so much easier, but that would actually make some sense now wouldn't it! (You're talking about the AAA here.) Haha.

If you wanna talk about long trips though, I'd like to see if anyone can beat what I did last year. I went from Blytheville to Greenwood to watch the semi-final game between Blytheville and Mills, leaving at 7:00 in the morning and got there about 1:00 that afternoon. I watched the game that started around 2:30, then later on rode back across the state with Mike Diesel to Imboden to watch a AA semi-final game. I ended up getting back home around 12:45 that night and was on the road about 12 hours that day, only to get on Fearless Friday and stay up until 3:00 talking about all the games and laughing my butt off at all the "Marion What?!?" threads, then got up for church the next morning. Haha, what a day that was!

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: chicks_hogs12 on February 08, 2006, 10:51:10 pm
blytheville to batesville is pretty bad 2

And there just ain't a good route to Batesville. 

chicks_hogs12

February 08, 2006, 11:26:16 pm #15 Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 11:34:13 pm by chicks_hogs12
yea but back in my high school days we used to go to mountain home, searcy, cabot, sylvan hills, jacksonville, and mills those were some trips

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: chicks_hogs12 on February 08, 2006, 11:26:16 pm
yea but back in my high school days we used to go to mountain home, searcy, cabot, sylvan hills, jacksonville, those were some trips

Hey, at least those are on the map.  Back in my days (at Gosnell), we got to travel to Pocahontas, Highland, Southside Batesville, and Cave City.  The Cave City trip was always fun.

chicks_hogs12

yea u had to ride a horse to get there back in your day huh lol

bbmom

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 08, 2006, 10:58:02 pm

That's too bad that they can't have a conference like the one you are talking about because it would be so much easier, but that would actually make some sense now wouldn't it! (You're talking about the AAA here.) Haha.

If you wanna talk about long trips though, I'd like to see if anyone can beat what I did last year. I went from Blytheville to Greenwood to watch the semi-final game between Blytheville and Mills, leaving at 7:00 in the morning and got there about 1:00 that afternoon. I watched the game that started around 2:30, then later on rode back across the state with Mike Diesel to Imboden to watch a AA semi-final game. I ended up getting back home around 12:45 that night and was on the road about 12 hours that day, only to get on Fearless Friday and stay up until 3:00 talking about all the games and laughing my butt off at all the "Marion What?!?" threads, then got up for church the next morning. Haha, what a day that was!
That sounds like a great trip! I must be getting old, though. I'm still tired after that little jaunt up to Harrison Tuesday night. I got home at 12:06. Just getting old, I guess. Of course my blood pressure is just now starting to return into the normal range.

And Freak, the best route to Batesville from Mo-Town is through Drasco & Higden--the hills. It's pretty fun on a motorcycle. Still nearly 2 hours, though.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: bbmom on February 09, 2006, 07:34:37 am
That sounds like a great trip! I must be getting old, though. I'm still tired after that little jaunt up to Harrison Tuesday night. I got home at 12:06. Just getting old, I guess. Of course my blood pressure is just now starting to return into the normal range.

The trip from Greenwood to Imboden was a rather disappointing one though, because we had just been eliminated from the state tournament. Sometimes it seemed like it was never gonna end, but we ended up just barely making it in time for the second quarter of the Bigelow/Hughes game later that night after we finally found the gym!

I had a great time that day, but the fact that we lost was very frustrating but I enjoyed seeing those games.

bbmom

Speaking of long trips...I'm looking forward to the state tourney. I put in for vacation that week!

msubulldogs21

Quote from: bbmom on February 09, 2006, 08:39:14 pm
Speaking of long trips...I'm looking forward to the state tourney. I put in for vacation that week!

Speaking of the state tournament, I have finally gotten a ride! I'll be heading down there with good ole Mike Diesel and seeing all the games which is awesome news to me! I have a few minor details to work out, but with the way things are looking right now I'll be there and I can't wait because it's gonna be so fun! I'm really looking forward to just sitting back and relaxing and watching the games all day long. Hopefully we'll keep winning and will be there all week and won't have to come home for a while! ;D

(Meanwhile, Almabball will be scanning bar codes at his favorite place in the world.....Wal Mart! Sorry man I couldn't resist that, but I know you wish you could come and see all the action ) ;)

AB™

I'll also be making money and going to school and doing something productive with my life instead of wasting it watching some stupid game.  ;D

And now for the truth.  I really wish I could be there.  I love high school basketball.  Enjoy it and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you all at the state finals.

bbmom

Do the FF people have a meeting place like they did at the football final? I didn't go to the FF tailgate party at War Memorial, but I read where some people were planning one.

msubulldogs21

Quote from: bbmom on February 10, 2006, 06:53:16 am
Do the FF people have a meeting place like they did at the football final? I didn't go to the FF tailgate party at War Memorial, but I read where some people were planning one.

I went to the tailgate party at War Memorial, but I don't think there is a certain meeting spot in Magnolia and if there is I'm not aware of it. I'm guessing that some of the FF people that will be there will meet up somewhere but I think we'll all talk about it on here in a week or two when the time for the state tournament gets a little closer.

But, when we do discuss that we have to take into account that not everyone will be there at the same time. Some teams might be playing earlier in the week and get eliminated and others will be there a little longer. I, for one, plan on being there all week though and I'm sure Mike Diesel feels the same way. ;D

bbmom

I put in to take off tuesday, and then thurs & friday and i'm off saturdays anyway, so hopefully i'll be able to be down there all of those days.

neafbfan

Quote from: bbmom on February 09, 2006, 07:34:37 am
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on February 08, 2006, 10:58:02 pm

And Freak, the best route to Batesville from Mo-Town is through Drasco & Higden--the hills. It's pretty fun on a motorcycle. Still nearly 2 hours, though.

LOL LIke he said, no good way to gt there and I'll add no good way to get back either.

vbrocks

Back to the long trips...Little Rock Christian has been moved to the AAAA West next year. I can not imagine making those trips to Alma, let alone Siloam Springs.  I don't care what night of the week it is- that's a long trip.  The worst will be in volleyball, because they play on Tuesday and Thursday nights!

bbmom

Actually, Alma isn't too bad--Interstate all the way, but it's still 90 miles from Mo-Town, so it'll be at least 50 more for y'all depending on what part of LR the school is in. Be glad Huntsville is gone from the AAAA West. That trek up the Pig Trail is the worst. At least you have Morrilton, Vilonia & Greenbrier to look forward to! Believe me, those three schools are glad to see a LR team added instead of another hill town! I'm still for forming a central AAAA conference. I know there a lot of AAAA schools within an hour's drive (or less) from LR, but they've got them all drawn and quartered to the East, West, SE, and SW. It would be cheaper on the districts (and I know it'd be easier on the players) to clump the central schools together, and if that leaves only 6 AAAA (oh, now AAAAA) teams in each of the corners, then so be it.

bbmom

Oh, well. But so far this year that is working out for us.  8)
Hopefully we can keep it up for a few more weeks.

AB™

Quote from: bbmom on February 11, 2006, 03:39:45 pm
That trek up the Pig Trail is the worst.

I hated making that trip on the bus for a basketball game.  I get car sick pretty easily and my junior and senior year I got very nauseous near to vomiting.  By far my least favorite trip of the conference.

Rulesman

Quote from: Almabball on February 12, 2006, 01:56:18 am

I hated making that trip on the bus for a basketball game.  I get car sick pretty easily and my junior and senior year I got very nauseous near to vomiting.  By far my least favorite trip of the conference.
Thank you for sharing that bit of useless information with us. Especially since it has nothing to do with long trips.  >:(

AB™

Quote from: Rulesman on February 12, 2006, 10:03:51 am

Thank you for sharing that bit of useless information with us. Especially since it has nothing to do with long trips. >:(

And what does you getting on here and bashing me have to do with long trips?

She simply stated the trip up Pig Trail to Huntsville is not fun and I was just agreeing and sharing personal experiences with her.

Rulesman

Quote from: Almabball on February 12, 2006, 11:54:26 am
Quote from: Rulesman on February 12, 2006, 10:03:51 am

Thank you for sharing that bit of useless information with us. Especially since it has nothing to do with long trips. >:(
Who really wants to know that she can throw up all over herself in the car?

And what does you getting on here and bashing me have to do with long trips?

She simply stated the trip up Pig Trail to Huntsville is not fun and I was just agreeing and sharing personal experiences with her.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas