• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jr high 100, 200, and 400 times

Started by Gray lizard, March 05, 2018, 04:16:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

What times in the 100, 200, and, 400 are normal for Jr high boys.  Not looking for record times but competitive times.
What would the same be for long jump?

AT

Hmm.

100 - I'd say in junior high that you are going to be competitive with a low 12 second or high 11 second (actually these are probably pretty fast). Wind has to do a lot with a 100 so it depends on the wind. But yeah, about 12 seconds.

200 - In junior high, 24-25 seconds will be competitive.

400 - Anything below 60 seconds is fine.

LJ - I'd say 17-19 feet.

This can depend on what meet and classifications you are competing against.

Gray lizard

Heck I  was running right below 58 40 years ago in the 440. Jumping 17 plus long jump in Jr high.
My boy is at Pottsville.  I don't think track is much of a priority there.

AT

You could argue that a guy should be running lower than what I said to be competitive. Maybe 58 is a better benchmark.

But yeah, I see 17-18 foot long jumps place at smaller meets in junior high. 19 feet is going to win a few meets.

Gray lizard

What would you think if your son was set to run the 4x800 relay in a track meet tomorrow.  States running first leg of the relay and has never been told anything about lane change rules.

nastynice

Quote from: Gray lizard on March 05, 2018, 08:39:15 pm
What would you think if your son was set to run the 4x800 relay in a track meet tomorrow.  States running first leg of the relay and has never been told anything about lane change rules.

In Booneville tomorrow?

Gray lizard

AT

The only time the 4x8 lane changing matters is the first turn. Each track is different. Without going into the different types, basically tell him to listen to the starter, they will explain the first curve. If he is on the inside, he can cut to lane 1 whenever he wants as long as he doesn't impede another runner.

After that first turn, he can get into any lane he wants to. Of course, he should run in lane 1 as much as possible, but he can pass in lane 6 if he just really felt up to it. Also he doesn't have to be "in a lane". He can run anywhere on the track.

As a former 800 runner, a few things for him if he's never done it:

1. Do not do a dead sprint in the first 200-400. Many newcomers think they can full out sprint the whole thing or at least hold on. Most of them are handed a piano the 2nd lap.

2. Position at the beginning is important. Although I said don't sprint, he needs to run fast that first 200 and get in good position. Don't get pushed to the back.

3. I don't know how athletic or how much potential he has, but if he has never run a 800, getting in the 2:20s is good for a first time. He should hit the first lap in 1:10 or under. His first lap is going to probably be faster than his 2nd lap, so going 1:05-1:15 is okay.

4. Breathe and use all momentum to go forward. Focus.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas