• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Pre-Season Prognostications

Started by dispossessed, December 08, 2013, 11:18:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dispossessed

Time to dust off the crystal balls and review the scouting reports. Practice has begun with matches beginning in a few months. How does it look to you by conference and by teams. Who are your favorites, contenders, sleepers, and the rest? Good luck to everyone in 2014!

ManUCH14

Top 3 contenders from 4a?
Top 3 contenders from 5a?
Top 3 contenders from 6a?
Top 3 contenders from 7a?
Anybody??

Lionheart88

I'm from White Hall, so I know our program and to a lesser extent 5A.  Probably can't comment on any of the other classifications, but here's how I see 5A breaking down:

Boys: LRCA, Harrison, and DeQueen are my top three, with PA or Lakeside as honorable mentions.
Girls: LRCA, Harrison, and Shiloh, again with Lakeside or PA as honorable mentions.

I don't know the West or East as well as I know the South or Central, but the East has never impressed me when I've seen their teams play, but there could be someone in the West that's right there too.

Raiders5

In my opinion the top 5a contenders are going to be Nettleton, Vilonia, and Batesville. All three are experienced programs but Batesville lost a lot of talent this year when their seniors graduated, and Vilonia won the 5a East conference, But i believe Nettleton is a force that will rise to the challenge and win the 5a east if they play well together.

wonderboy

I really hope your talking about the 5a east and not overall 5a because i'd hate to burst your bubble but Vilonia MIGHT be the only team who could crack the top 10.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Raiders5 on January 17, 2014, 08:27:38 am
In my opinion the top 5a contenders are going to be Nettleton, Vilonia, and Batesville. All three are experienced programs but Batesville lost a lot of talent this year when their seniors graduated, and Vilonia won the 5a East conference, But i believe Nettleton is a force that will rise to the challenge and win the 5a east if they play well together.
Batesville lost a talented senior class, so they're going to be one of the top contenders in 5A?  They weren't even a top contender last year when they had that class.

Raiders5

In reply to lyonheart I'm saying in the 5a east conference and the were 2nd in the 5a east last season. the team lost talent but they have an enormous amount of drive.

dispossessed

Springdale opens at pre-season #1 in Arkansas by Student Sports, a national ranking publication. Who will challenge them for supremacy in 7A?

Go Postal

February 19, 2014, 09:14:35 pm #8 Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:17:06 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 08, 2014, 03:01:43 pm
Boys: LRCA, Harrison, and DeQueen are my top three, with PA or Lakeside as honorable mentions.
Girls: LRCA, Harrison, and Shiloh, again with Lakeside or PA as honorable mentions.

Sorry, I'm still in Basketball mode, but I have to agree.  You might want to add Greenbrier boys to that list.  But Vilonia boys from the East did impress me last playoffs.  Remember, after this cycle ends (I believe) that LRCA and Vilonia comes to the West.  Shiloh girls and Huntsville boys/girls go back to 4A.
De Queen vs Harrison boys game in the semis was one of the best games that I have ever seen.  Not just in high school, but any soccer game.  In-your-face-physical-offensive-defensive-fast-paced game.  They are a beast.  Nothing against LRCA, but I don't think that they would have advanced if they played De Queen in the semis.

That said, (looking at the overall 4A-7A boys/girls State Champions since 1998) the teams to beat in Arkansas, is 6A Searcy with 10 State wins, 5A Harrison with 9 State wins and 5A PA with 9 State wins.

(I have been working on a all conference boys/girls State Champions/State Runner-ups record in off season.  I will post this and sevenof400 will try to pin this as soon as we can.  One place to look on Historical Arkansas Soccer yearly data.  Hard to find who the State Runner-ups are for all conferences from 2006 back to 1998, fearlessfriday didn't have a soccer forum untill 2007, once I post it, if anyone has info of State Runner-ups would be appreciated in that thread.  Thanks.)

Soccer is a fantastic sport.  Some Arkansas towns don't understand it yet as being THE worldwide sport and have no clue.  They don't know that it can be "Basketball" strategy playing on a larger than "Football" field.  We are young to fearlessfriday, started in 2007.  Let us start making the soccer forum not a "other sport" on fearlessfriday, but be one of the lead sports with the football, basketball forums. ;D

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on February 19, 2014, 09:14:35 pm

Sorry, I'm still in Basketball mode, but I have to agree.  You might want to add Greenbrier boys to that list.  But Vilonia boys from the East did impress me last playoffs.  Remember, after this cycle ends (I believe) that LRCA and Vilonia comes to the West.  Shiloh girls and Huntsville boys/girls go back to 4A.
De Queen vs Harrison boys game in the semis was one of the best games that I have ever seen.  Not just in high school, but any soccer game.  In-your-face-physical-offensive-defensive-fast-paced game.  They are a beast.  Nothing against LRCA, but I don't think that they would have advanced if they played De Queen in the semis.

That said, (looking at the overall 4A-7A boys/girls State Champions since 1998) the teams to beat in Arkansas, is 6A Searcy with 10 State wins, 5A Harrison with 9 State wins and 5A PA with 9 State wins.

(I have been working on a all conference boys/girls State Champions/State Runner-ups record in off season.  I will post this and sevenof400 will try to pin this as soon as we can.  One place to look on Historical Arkansas Soccer yearly data.  Hard to find who the State Runner-ups are for all conferences from 2006 back to 1998, fearlessfriday didn't have a soccer forum untill 2007, once I post it, if anyone has info of State Runner-ups would be appreciated in that thread.  Thanks.)

Soccer is a fantastic sport.  Some Arkansas towns don't understand it yet as being THE worldwide sport and have no clue.  They don't know that it can be "Basketball" strategy playing on a larger than "Football" field.  We are young to fearlessfriday, started in 2007.  Let us start making the soccer forum not a "other sport" on fearlessfriday, but be one of the lead sports with the football, basketball forums. ;D
I'm not with you there.  I'm from White Hall, and saw their first round game against our guys (1E v 4S).  It ended with a golden goal in OT, and it shouldn't have gotten that far, we had a goal ruled out for offside late in the game that I don't think should've been. (I don't feel like going into it in detail here, but it appeared to be a clear goal from where I was standing.)  At any rate, any time a 4 seed takes a conference champ to OT, I'm not going to be impressed with the 1 seed.

Go Postal

February 19, 2014, 10:18:31 pm #10 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:06:14 am by Go Postal
Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 19, 2014, 09:51:01 pm

I'm not with you there.  I'm from White Hall, and saw their first round game against our guys (1E v 4S).  It ended with a golden goal in OT, and it shouldn't have gotten that far, we had a goal ruled out for offside late in the game that I don't think should've been. (I don't feel like going into it in detail here, but it appeared to be a clear goal from where I was standing.)  At any rate, any time a 4 seed takes a conference champ to OT, I'm not going to be impressed with the 1 seed.
Understandable.  Vtown 3 White Hall 2 in 2nd OT.  What a game.  I was just saying that Vilonia has some good players coming up.  I believe that Lakeside and Hope are the only public schools ever to beat Harrison in the semis playoffs.  If it makes you feel better, Harrison 4 Vilonia 0 in the second round.

Basketball13

ManUCH14

All I know about the 4A is that the top 5 contenders are
1.CAC
2.Subiaco
3.Green Forest
4.Berryville
5.Dardanelle/Danville
Not in any order!

The Coach

Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 20, 2014, 02:08:38 pm
All I know about the 4A is that the top 5 contenders are
1.CAC
2.Subiaco
3.Green Forest
4.Berryville
5.Dardanelle/Danville
Not in any order!

CAC and Maumelle are the 2 best teams in 4a!!!

ManUCH14

How could I forget!!????!? ??? Maumelle is going to be a really top contender!! They should make a solid run for the state championship.

Go Postal

February 20, 2014, 09:07:46 pm #15 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:14:57 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 20, 2014, 08:18:54 pm
How could I forget!!????!? ??? Maumelle is going to be a really top contender!! They should make a solid run for the state championship.
Great :'( they come to the 5A West next cycle with LRCA and Vilonia.  Valley View moves up to the East with Vilonia going to the West.  Any news of Valley View?  I believe that the boys team beat CAC last season's 4A Championship game.  Just wondering.

(BTW, didn't Harrison gain a former Berryville coach starting this year?)

ManUCH14

Valley View??? Hmmm.. All I know is that they lost many seniors last year after defeating CAC last year in the 4A championship! And I heard Berryville's head soccer coach left this year, but I'm not sure if it was to Harrison?

Go Postal

Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 20, 2014, 09:32:06 pm
Valley View??? Hmmm.. All I know is that they lost many seniors last year after defeating CAC last year in the 4A championship! And I heard Berryville's head soccer coach left this year, but I'm not sure if it was to Harrison?
Thanks ManUCH14, and yes I believe he is a Goblin now with Coach Pratt. :o  Gotta beat those 5A private schools somehow.  LOL.

chaoslord

Quote from: Go Postal on February 21, 2014, 12:16:01 am
Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 20, 2014, 09:32:06 pm
Thanks ManUCH14, and yes I believe he is a Goblin now with Coach Pratt. :o  Gotta beat those 5A private schools somehow.  LOL.

Those private schools should be off in their own conference.  (No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?)

Haha, for real though, the season starts, what, in 9 days now officially?

My thoughts:

7A, Springdale is still, imo, the team to beat. Fought FS tooth and nail in that final. I heard that FS lost more people than Spingdale but I have no clue if it's true or not. Working mostly in the 7A/6A west, there wasn't too much quality there that I feel could challenge Springdale apart from maybe Har-Ber. Van Buren will probably be the whipping boys again this season.

6A, I think Siloam is the only school in the 6A that I have a chance to see often, although I don't get many games from that assignor so I don't get that chance. Not a lot of info from me here. Still, gun to my head I have to say it's Searcy's to lose, like most years it seems.

5A, my old stomping grounds. While PA might not be the strongest its ever been, they will probably be improved this season. LRCA and Harrison, of course, should be ignored at your own peril. Programs like that stay strong in Arkansas and manage to get a lot of talent year in, year out. HS Lakeside was good for a few years but are probably about back to earth. Uhh....Yeah, I don't know.  Put me down for one of LRCA or Harrison. Harrison playing some good games this season, looking at their schedule. Heritage, Siloam Springs (twice), Bentonville, Springdale, Rogers all on the schedule. Know a few of those are "weaker" teams in the 6A/7A, but they would probably beat most teams in 5A.

4A, I dont know much about here. Maumelle will be strong. CAC will be strong. Valley View will be strong. Uhhh...yep.

This season is going to be so short, or it feels that way anyway. Maybe I'm wrong and just misremembering but starting in March feels really late. Looks like some schools might only play 11 games up here without counting tournaments. I see that Harrison is playing a full alotment of 16, they are going to be busy boys and girls. Wonder how fatigue might play a factor in (what seems to me to be) a condensed season.

dispossessed

That's quite a bit of work. Thanks for taking it on. It would really be nice to have that history to refer to. Yes, the excellent sport of futbol continues to gain ground, and at many schools it is in the top three sports programs, which is great. I think that you will see this trend continue as programs develop, and play moves toward a higher level with better coaching/organization and with people having a greater understanding of it. The reality of concussion and injury risk in football is causing players and parents to reassess the risk, (ask me how I know) and futbol is a beneficiary of this. I agree 100%. It is definitely a top tier sport that is deserving of greater coverage and commentary. That will happen with time.

The Coach

Quote from: Go Postal on February 20, 2014, 09:07:46 pm
Great :'( they come to the 5A West next cycle with LRCA and Vilonia.  Valley View moves up to the East with Vilonia going to the West.  Any news of Valley View?  I believe that the boys team beat CAC last season's 4A Championship game.  Just wondering.

(BTW, didn't Harrison gain a former Berryville coach starting this year?)

Yes Coach Earnest left Berryville for Harrison.

ManUCH14

Any teams starting the season this week? Or until the first week of March?

dispossessed

Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 22, 2014, 04:28:23 pm

Springdale opens Friday (2/28) hosting Jenks (OK) in a benefit. Arkansas #1 vs Oklahoma #1. Good way to knock some of the early season rust off.

Basketball13

Subiaco opens with a conference game against Danville 3/3. Two of the better teams from the 4A-1

onewildrice

Fort Smith Southside hosts Springdale Girls (5pm) and Harber Boys (6:45pm) on Tuesday the 25th for their benefit games.

NWAguy

Quote from: dispossessed on February 22, 2014, 06:58:47 pm
Quote from: ManUCH14 on February 22, 2014, 04:28:23 pm

Springdale opens Friday (2/28) hosting Jenks (OK) in a benefit. Arkansas #1 vs Oklahoma #1. Good way to knock some of the early season rust off.

According to Studentsports.com Jenks is ranked #6 in the nation pre season

chaoslord

February 24, 2014, 10:17:52 am #26 Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:14:46 pm by chaoslord
Quote from: NWAguy on February 24, 2014, 09:33:08 am

Well, I know what I'm doing on Friday then. Does anyone know what time the games start at? Schedule I found just says "JVB VB times TBD"

EDIT: I'm hearing a few different things about this game. I've heard Thursday, JVB at 5 and VB at 6:30. Schedule says Friday TBD as I mentioned above. SHS website has 5:30-8:00 on Thursday as "Soccer vs Jenks". Jenks HS website says 6:30 on Friday. So..... yeah, thought I was figuring things out but just as confused as this morning.

dispossessed

Quote from: chaoslord on February 24, 2014, 10:17:52 am
Quote from: NWAguy on February 24, 2014, 09:33:08 am

Well, I know what I'm doing on Friday then. Does anyone know what time the games start at? Schedule I found just says "JVB VB times TBD"

EDIT: I'm hearing a few different things about this game. I've heard Thursday, JVB at 5 and VB at 6:30. Schedule says Friday TBD as I mentioned above. SHS website has 5:30-8:00 on Thursday as "Soccer vs Jenks". Jenks HS website says 6:30 on Friday. So..... yeah, thought I was figuring things out but just as confused as this morning.

Received a text earlier today advising that the match has been moved from Friday to Thursday at 6:30 due to the weather forecast for Friday. May want to check with the school.

Go Postal

Talked to Belgium exchange student today and she said we will play Rogers Heritage boys/girls on Thursday at Harrison.  Nice accent.  I believe this is correct, hearing earlier from parents that we had a game on this upcoming Thursday.  Any conformation on this?

chaoslord

Quote from: dispossessed on February 24, 2014, 06:33:48 pm
Received a text earlier today advising that the match has been moved from Friday to Thursday at 6:30 due to the weather forecast for Friday. May want to check with the school.

Given the text I got said Thursday I'm just going to assume the game has been moved to that time and that the websites are just out of date.

Quote from: Go Postal on February 24, 2014, 08:21:11 pm
Talked to Belgium exchange student today and she said we will play Rogers Heritage boys/girls on Thursday at Harrison.  Nice accent.  I believe this is correct, hearing earlier from parents that we had a game on this upcoming Thursday.  Any conformation on this?

Speaking of websites, Heritage website lists a trip to Harrison on Thursday at 5 and 7, so it sounds like a good bet. If I wasn't attached to this Jenks/Springdale game I'd probably be making the trip out to watch that game. Should be a good early season test for both sides.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on February 24, 2014, 08:21:11 pm
White Hall's got a Spanish exchange student on our boys team, been to my church a couple times.  He's from Barcelona, but is an Espanyol fan (he was surprised I'd heard of them).  Half the girls in the youth group think is accent is nice, if the fact that they flock to him like ducks to water is any clue.

Go Postal

I've seen a few exchange students and some are athletes over the years from Harrison.  One thing that I can say is that they all know about soccer whether they play or not, but Coach Pratt has done a fantastic job, with whomever he has on a boys or girls team, since 2002.  Put us up in the top 3 Overall Boys/Girls State Champions in any conference with 6A Searcy getting the lead last season with 10 boys/girls State Champions (nice to see our old 5A rivals, Siloam Springs boys/girls making a statement on them in the 6A).  Also 5A PA is tied for 2nd/3rd place with 5A Harrison with both of them with 9 boys/girls State Champions each.

BTW, I heard that Coach Pratt is now the Head AD in Harrison sports.  Great accomplishment, Chris!

Lionheart88

Quote from: Go Postal on February 24, 2014, 10:48:53 pm
I've seen a few exchange students and some are athletes over the years from Harrison.  One thing that I can say is that they all know about soccer whether they play or not, but Coach Pratt has done a fantastic job, with whomever he has on a boys or girls team, since 2002.  Put us up in the top 3 Overall Boys/Girls State Champions in any conference with 6A Searcy getting the lead last season with 10 boys/girls State Champions (nice to see our old 5A rivals, Siloam Springs boys/girls making a statement on them in the 6A).  Also 5A PA is tied for 2nd/3rd place with 5A Harrison with both of them with 9 boys/girls State Champions each.

BTW, I heard that Coach Pratt is now the Head AD in Harrison sports.  Great accomplishment, Chris!

he's undoubtedly the top soccer coach in 5A, if not the state as a whole.  Congrats to him.  Hope we see more ADs with soccer backgrounds in the future.

coach cleats

Hey gang just got back from Las Vegas. Watched Arkansas comets 97 girls play. They didn't lose a game. Had one own goal scored on them.  Probably would have won it but had to forfeit finals due to flight conflicts. Beat teams from California Colorado and two Canadian teams. Congrats to the comets!  That said all these girls play high school soccer for various teams. So I look for harrison , bentonville and Fayetteville to be strong as well as springdale har-ber on the girls side. The private schools in little rock will be good aslo. MSM and LRCA have several club players as well.  5a and 7a will be exciting this year. I encourage everyone to invite your friends to matches this spring. We have very good players in Arkansas and the coaching seems to be catching up.

Sockers Kid

Watched HarBer put on a clinic tonight at Southside! Better watch out for these boys... They are a top notch team! They won 5-0 and it could have easily been a double digits. They are a fantastic side!

Basketball13

Greenwood hosts Heritage for their benefit Thursday i believe.

Betoswagalasoccer

Anybody have any clue on the two fort smith teams ? Southside and northside ? Wasn't northside last year 7a state champs ?

NWAguy

According to Springdale Soccer Boosters Facebook

*RED DOG SOCCER ALERT - In anticipation of possible wintry weather on Friday and to allow for safer travel conditions for our opponents, the boys home soccer games with Jenks OK have been moved up to Thursday 2/27. Games times remain the same at 5 & 6:30pm.

Basketball13

Quote from: Betoswagalasoccer on February 26, 2014, 12:09:59 am
Anybody have any clue on the two fort smith teams ? Southside and northside ? Wasn't northside last year 7a state champs ?

Northside plays next Tuesday i believe against Van Buren. Should be a blowout both games. Van Buren is supposedly pretty bad.

HP14

Maumelle is returning all but two of their starters from last year.  They also have two exchange students that are very good this year as well.  They should have a very solid team this season so watch out...... May see a lot of RED in the finals this year. 

The Coach

Quote from: Basketball13 on February 25, 2014, 11:59:36 pm
Greenwood hosts Heritage for their benefit Thursday i believe.

Heritage is at Harrison Thursday

The Coach

Quote from: HP14 on February 26, 2014, 03:09:48 pm

Maumelle is returning all but two of their starters from last year.  They also have two exchange students that are very good this year as well.  They should have a very solid team this season so watch out...... May see a lot of RED in the finals this year.

I agree 100%. Fully expect them to be a tough out

Lionheart88

Anybody playing friday?  Especially in the central-south Arkansas area?  I'd like to go see a game if I get the chance.

ManUCH14

Anybody have the Muamelle schedule? I would really like to see them in action, anybody?

Go Postal

February 26, 2014, 10:56:26 pm #44 Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:17:40 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: The Coach on February 26, 2014, 08:44:53 pm
Quote from: HP14 on February 26, 2014, 03:09:48 pm

I agree 100%. Fully expect them to be a tough out
I will be trying to watch their record for this season, because after the cycle starts anew, they will be coming into the 5A West along with LRCA and Vilonia.  That next cycle in the West should be a doozie.  Last season's 5A semi finalists, LRCA boys/girls, Greenbrier boys, Harrison boy/girls and the #1 East seed Vilonia boys in one conference.  Wow.  But I get ahead of myself, still have to see what happens this season.

HP14

Maumelle starts the season Monday 3/3 vs Jacksonville at MHS, then Thursday 3/6 vs AR Baptist at MHS.  They are also in the West Mem tournament this weekend starting Friday.  I will post the rest of the schedule today.

AirWarren

Warren is about to enter it's 3rd year of soccer this year. They return some promising talent and have been pretty successful in it's two years of having a team. I look for them to be a solid team again this year.

Hornet-Hawg

February 27, 2014, 06:32:01 am #47 Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:57:44 am by Hornet-Hawg
Quote from: Lionheart88 on February 26, 2014, 08:56:33 pm
Anybody playing friday?  Especially in the central-south Arkansas area?  I'd like to go see a game if I get the chance.

Catholic and Cabot boys are coming to Bryant for a benefit jamboree on Friday.

HalaMadrid

Good Luck to all the teams that open up the season today. Make sure to post scores. 

mijally

Anybody know if DownSouth is going to do the rankings again this year?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas