• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLUB SOCCER RUMORS IN LITTLE ROCK

Started by michu, March 26, 2013, 09:40:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

michu

Arkansas Rush moving into the Little Rock market? Hearing they want to continue to grow their base in Conway, but start developing a bigger presence in the Little Rock area.

Rey Pygsterio

March 26, 2013, 10:00:18 am #1 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:50:12 am by Rey Pygsterio
Why do we need one more soccer club and one based out of Conway to come into the Little Rock metro?

We already have LRFC, Westside, ASC, Maumelle, Bluebird, Lakewood, Sherwood, Jacksonville, and Bryant not to mention the independent programs at a few schools and Upward.

Thank goodness LRFC's board said no.

michu

We don't need another club that lacks direction and structure, but what we desperatly need is a club with purpose, planning, and successful execution. Check out rush.com and you will see a club that has a style of play, player development cirriculum, player identification program, and a strong support system for their coaching staff. None of the clubs you mentioned have any of these traits. There are talented players and coaches in this city, but they are lacking the proper direction. This club appears to be very much needed in our community if we ever intend on being relevent on a regional and national basis.

Sportsaholic94

Sir Alex

My two cents worth.  We need each community of the state to have rec and club (dont like the use of the classic, travel etc) up through u-12's.  U13-U15 should see some consolidation to at the most 5-7 organizations with club teams, still allowing the community rec programs to have teams for those ages.  Inside these organizations with club teams, there would be a premier team and then possibly a 2nd and 3rd team for the larger organizations.  U16-19's should have one premier level team per age group for the whole state and a 2nd level team in each of those 5-7 organizations.  There should be a huge push for the oldest boys teams to play in adult leagues much like a large number of teenage hispanic players do in the state already.

We should also establish summer teams for the elite high school players and college players who return during break.  One located in the NW and one in the Central area. 

Ultimately, a professional/semi-pro team needs to be introduced to our neck of the woods. 

I have seen a lot of soccer at all different levels my whole life.  We are at a point where we are in need of some change.  Looking forward to a great game tonight at the Azteca....   

michu

I think Sir Alex makes a great point in that we need as many rec programs as possible. This is the best way to introduce kids to the game. No doubt our local population can support all these rec programs, but history tells us that our population does not support all these clubs when these kids reach the classic/competitive age groups. For various reasons, that could be discussed under a different subject title, our player pools drastically shrink starting around the u12 age group. At this age group and for only the classic/competitive level players, they need to be filtering into one program. This would have a tremendous effect on player development and team success. Must change the environment in order to see positive results. The definition of insanity comes to mind when I think about Little Rock soccer and that's doing the same thing over and over while expected different results.

sevenof400

Quote from: michu on March 26, 2013, 09:40:37 am
Arkansas Rush moving into the Little Rock market? Hearing they want to continue to grow their base in Conway, but start developing a bigger presence in the Little Rock area.

Well, Rush is going to have to do something - and fairly quickly - because their number of classic teams is going to quickly fall off as the next year or so goes by. 

Most of the Rush classic teams are / were at the older end of the club ages (U15 and older) and Rush did not have a good number of classic teams at the U11 - U14 ages.  From this vantage point, Rush needs more team to support its current structure or there could be some very tought financial decisions coming soon. 

michu

The majority of the classic/competitive players in central Arkansas are from Little Rock, not Conway, which would explain their limited number of teams. It would only makes sense to tap into the Little Rock market since that is where the majority of classic/competitive players reside.
Just take a couple of minutes to read about the Rush program. I did and it's exactly whats been missing in Little Rock. Clubs have to have identity and structure. This club appears to have both, plus a vast amount of resources due to size. By resources, I don't specifically mean revenue, but player and coaching opportunities not made available by our other local clubs.   

coach cleats

How have rush teams done in Arkansas state championships? Not presidents cup.

coach cleats

Great post Sir Alex! That is kinda what Hess did with that team from Russellville. There is a team in nwa that is doing that with a great deal of success.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: michu on March 26, 2013, 11:54:31 am
I think Sir Alex makes a great point in that we need as many rec programs as possible. This is the best way to introduce kids to the game. No doubt our local population can support all these rec programs, but history tells us that our population does not support all these clubs when these kids reach the classic/competitive age groups. For various reasons, that could be discussed under a different subject title, our player pools drastically shrink starting around the u12 age group. At this age group and for only the classic/competitive level players, they need to be filtering into one program. This would have a tremendous effect on player development and team success. Must change the environment in order to see positive results. The definition of insanity comes to mind when I think about Little Rock soccer and that's doing the same thing over and over while expected different results.

One reason the player pool shrinks around U12 is that what the kids should be learning more than anything is to fall in love with the game. Making soccer fun for these kids should be the No. 1 priority.

Instead, we've got adults on a message board talking about filtering U12 into one program so they can be more competitive and beat everyone in the state.

Stay home, Rush. We've already got enough adults getting it all wrong for youth soccer in Central Arkansas.

michu

March 27, 2013, 09:15:44 am #11 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:46:39 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: coach cleats on March 26, 2013, 07:17:14 pm

From what I understand, the Rush got started in Conway back in 2007 operating primarily as a rec club. They have never focused on classic/competitive numbers in terms of developing teams, but focused on developing players, especially those players with goals of playing in college. In the short period of time they have been in Arkansas, they have developed a reputation of developing college level players, exposing these players to college programs, and supporting these players in the college off season.
Now they are talking about entering one of the two areas (LR and NWA) that produce the majority of the states classic/competitive players and that's Little Rock. If they can prepare players for college in a short period of time, imagine what they could do if they had these players during their entire youth career?
I hate to sound critical, but the Arkansas State Champion means absolutly nothing. It's hard for me to get excited about Arkansas State Champions when on a yearly occurance you have age groups represented by only one team. What the Arkansas State Champion actually means is an 0-3 record at the Southern Regionals.
It's time to produce players and teams that can have success on a regional/national basis. Arkansas is not relevant on a regional and national level. In order for that to change, we have to change how we are doing things locally.
In terms of State Championships won by the Arkansas Rush, my guess would be zero. However, on a national level, I am pretty sure the Rush has won state, regional, and national championships while placing a ton of kids on regional and national teams. If they are having success accross the nation, then why wouldn't they have success in Arkansas? It's a proven structure. Add the best players in central Arkansas to this structure and watch out!

Note: edited by sevenof400 solely to separate the quote from the response - readability changes only.

michu

March 27, 2013, 09:26:59 am #12 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 02:48:49 pm by sevenof400
QuoteOne reason the player pool shrinks around U12 is that what the kids should be learning more than anything is to fall in love with the game. Making soccer fun for these kids should be the No. 1 priority.

Instead, we've got adults on a message board talking about filtering U12 into one program so they can be more competitive and beat everyone in the state.

Stay home, Rush. We've already got enough adults getting it all wrong for youth soccer in Central Arkansas.
You make a great point in the fact that adults/parents ruin not only youth soccer, but youth sports in general. That is what sets the Rush apart from all others and that is the fact that it is run by coaches, not parents.

Kids fall in love with the game due to the environment. Kids stay in the game due to environment. Why are kids who aspire to play college soccer moving to the Rush? ENVIRONMENT

Maybe you don't agree, but I know there are plenty of parents who desire a better product. If given a choice, wouldn't you want your child to attend the better school? What's wrong with having the same desire for their extra-curricular activities.

You are on this board posting as well, right?   

Note: edited by sevenof400 solely to separate the quote from the response - readability changes only.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: michu on March 27, 2013, 09:15:44 am
Quote from: coach cleats on March 26, 2013, 07:17:14 pm

From what I understand, the Rush got started in Conway back in 2007 operating primarily as a rec club. They have never focused on classic/competitive numbers in terms of developing teams, but focused on developing players, especially those players with goals of playing in college. In the short period of time they have been in Arkansas, they have developed a reputation of developing college level players, exposing these players to college programs, and supporting these players in the college off season.
Now they are talking about entering one of the two areas (LR and NWA) that produce the majority of the states classic/competitive players and that's Little Rock. If they can prepare players for college in a short period of time, imagine what they could do if they had these players during their entire youth career?
I hate to sound critical, but the Arkansas State Champion means absolutly nothing. It's hard for me to get excited about Arkansas State Champions when on a yearly occurance you have age groups represented by only one team. What the Arkansas State Champion actually means is an 0-3 record at the Southern Regionals.
It's time to produce players and teams that can have success on a regional/national basis. Arkansas is not relevant on a regional and national level. In order for that to change, we have to change how we are doing things locally.
In terms of State Championships won by the Arkansas Rush, my guess would be zero. However, on a national level, I am pretty sure the Rush has won state, regional, and national championships while placing a ton of kids on regional and national teams. If they are having success accross the nation, then why wouldn't they have success in Arkansas? It's a proven structure. Add the best players in central Arkansas to this structure and watch out!

At exactly what age do they think they are focusing on developing players with goals of playing in college?

First, the percentage of kids who end up playing in college is so small that this is like weeding out the majority of kids before they have even hit their developmental peak.

Second, that should be every kid! Any kid registered for soccer should be treated like they can go as far as they can take it. But first they have to want to do it because they love soccer, and that is where the adults are failing the kids.

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: michu on March 27, 2013, 09:26:59 am
You make a great point in the fact that adults/parents ruin not only youth soccer, but youth sports in general. That is what sets the Rush apart from all others and that is the fact that it is run by coaches, not parents.

Kids fall in love with the game due to the environment. Kids stay in the game due to environment. Why are kids who aspire to play college soccer moving to the Rush? ENVIRONMENT

Maybe you don't agree, but I know there are plenty of parents who desire a better product. If given a choice, wouldn't you want your child to attend the better school? What's wrong with having the same desire for their extra-curricular activities.

OK, then I will give Rush the benefit of the doubt. But it seems to me their primary goal is winning at the classic level. To me, that is not a definition of success.

In general, I think youth soccer gets it a lot more right than the other sports, but that doesn't mean soccer is without its share of adults who get carried away.

snakebite

Arkansas Rush is not "moving" in to the Little Rock area.  The club has been holding practices for several seasons now at Burns Park.  Just as it does in Searcy and Jonesboro.  Arkansas Rush is pulling kids from several different areas of the State and is trying to accomodate the needs of it's members.

Arkansas Rush can offer players many opportunities that no other club in the State can offer.  The opportunity to guest play with other Rush clubs is unlimited.  This includes state/regional competitive tournaments, national showcase events, national league teams, and national select teams that will now start competing overseas (thanks to the new contract with Adidias).

For the serious competitive player who wants to play at the highest level and wants to continue playing after their youth seasons are over, Rush has the opportunities to offer.  But it takes committment from both the player and the parents.

In the past, Arkansas Rush has chosen, for the most part, not to compete in the State Championships.  Very few teams, who were crowned "State Champions", have had success past the state level.  Arkansas Rush has recognized that the President's Cup offers a path to regional and national competition in which teams from Arkansas actually stand a chance to compete.  Is this considered a national championship?  In my opinion, no.  But it does put the kids in a situation in which they can be competitive and have success.  Winning the State Championship and then losing 0-5+ three games straight at Regionals is not very rewarding.  Doing this year after year as some teams in the State have done is, in my opinion, insane.  Yes, it does allow for bragging rights as to say we are the State Champions, but that's about all.  It does not allow them to say they are competing at the highest levels any longer due to the ECNL and DA leagues that are gaining momentum across the country.

Sir Alex makes some very good solid points.  Every community does need to have it's own developmental/recreational soccer leagues.  Even better is to have them based off of a program developed and proven by Nationally licensed coaches.  But a lot of the time, parents want to be in charge.

As kids grow older, they develop different interests that take them away from soccer.  With boys, it's football.  With girls, it's everything else.  Even among those who stick with soccer, there are different levels of committment.  There are those who just want to play, those that still want to compete at a high level so as to get ready for high school, and those who want to compete at the highest level in order to get noticed for a college scholarship.  From personal experience with my child, we have always had a 50/50 mix of the latter 2 groups.  It's great when it comes to competing in State/Regional/tournament events, but it doesn't work well when it comes to attending college showcases.  Fortunately, we have been able to pull players from other Rush clubs to attend these showcase events even when a good number of their teammates decide not to participate.

My child has benefitted from all of the opportunities Rush has had to offer.  It has taken time, sacrifice on everyone's part, and money to take advantage of these opportunities.  But I am certain we will acheive success and capture a dream a young child has had since first stepping onto the competitive field.

Yes, there is more to be said on this topic and I hope this discussion continues.  There is a whole 'nother world of soccer out there that the State of Arkansas is not ready for yet.  I have seen it and it's incredible to watch.  I hope we, as a State, gets there.  But it's going to take all of us pulling together in the same direction.

Does Arkansas Rush have all the answers:  No.  But in my opinion, they at least have a roadmap and a plan and that's a start.

snakebite

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 27, 2013, 09:35:35 am
Quote from: michu on March 27, 2013, 09:26:59 am

OK, then I will give Rush the benefit of the doubt. But it seems to me their primary goal is winning at the classic level. To me, that is not a definition of success.

In general, I think youth soccer gets it a lot more right than the other sports, but that doesn't mean soccer is without its share of adults who get carried away.

michu

From what I have read and learned from people in the know about the Rush organization is that the club has one primary focus and that is to develop players. Now understand that I am specifically talking about the classic/competitive age groups or the kids who have chosen to participate at the competitive level. A major part of player development is that player loving the game. There is no better motivation in anything we do than passion.
You get parents involved in most anything and personal agendas become priority. That is when things fall apart. This club is structure by coaches and run locally by coaches. That is what I think is cool.

fanofsiloam

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on March 27, 2013, 08:57:40 am
Quote from: michu on March 26, 2013, 11:54:31 am

One reason the player pool shrinks around U12 is that what the kids should be learning more than anything is to fall in love with the game. Making soccer fun for these kids should be the No. 1 priority.

michu has hit the nail on the head.  I totally concure with the assesment of filtering in those kids around the U12 mark into 1 program.  I say this from experience.  As my son has come up though the ranks of club soccer, we have consistanly struggled to find a SOLID team.  Solid in the fact that there were enough to field a team on the pitch.  He has played on club teams since he was 9 and has been forced to move clubs 4 times (all the while living in the same town.)  Either the club as shut down, the coaching staff was unengaged with the team, there were a lack of players, or there was a lack of committment to the team.  For each reason, there were a handfull of players left wishing they could find a solid program that worked with them either in placement on a team to give them the needed time on the pitch or could fold them into their existing team and create a more stable soccer home for them.  Over the years, I have had this same thought each time a team has fallen apart and left those few who truly love the game and want to play and continue to play at the next level...why do we continue to weaken our squads by having all of these teams with just a few exceptional players and then fill ins to cover the rest of the slots, when we could have a truly amazing team if we pooled the teams together and created the opportunity to continue to play.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm somewhat passionate about this subject.

michu

Quote from: snakebite on March 27, 2013, 09:49:34 am
Arkansas Rush is not "moving" in to the Little Rock area.
I didn't hear they were moving to Little Rock, but simply wanting to develop a better presence in Little Rock. It sounds like Conway is very important to the Rush program and they want to continue building that market.

Given your experience with the Rush program, it's good to read your post. Your point about the Rush at least having a road map is what excites myself and others about the potential. Thanks for your insight!

michu

Quote from: fanofsiloam on March 27, 2013, 10:01:43 am
  I totally concure with the assesment of filtering in those kids around the U12 mark into 1 program.

Again, this is not about trying to create super teams to win games. It's about pooling these kids together which would create a tremendous upgrade in our ability to develop players. This is simply a numbers issue. The total number of kids playing classic/competitive soccer in Little Rock does not even equal one clubs numbers in Dallas. Combine the numbers and place them in a program with identity, structure, purpose, and the ability to execute the plan. IMO, this just seems like a pretty good alternative,

LR_Dad

I would welcome Rush to LR and so would several others.  I have nothing against LRFC and my son currently participates in the the league.  However, they've been disorganized for quite some time...ask any neutral party.  If Rush can simply provide a little more structure, that would be a start.

Sir Alex

Rey:

The real problem with loss of kids after U12 is the fact that they have lots of options with school sports and other club sports.  In most districts, 7th grade offers an array of opportunities.  I do agree that if a passion is instilled in the players then they are more likely to stick around.  I think if you read my original post again, you will see that I did not suggest just funneling them into one club and one team (I am not even sure you were making mention of my post at all).  I do suggest pooling players from the many soccer organizations into a more condensed version as you they get older. 

Heck, who knows who will be any good when said children are in 6th and 7th grade.  I read an interesting article about Michael Bradley the other day.  It spoke of him being the "runt of the litter" until late in is high school years.  Not saying that Bradley is Messi, but he has made a dang good career playing ball in Europe. 

I do stand by my statement that it is time for change. 

Rey Pygsterio

Quote from: Sir Alex on March 27, 2013, 10:43:24 am

Heck, who knows who will be any good when said children are in 6th and 7th grade.  I read an interesting article about Michael Bradley the other day.  It spoke of him being the "runt of the litter" until late in is high school years.  Not saying that Bradley is Messi, but he has made a dang good career playing ball in Europe. 

EXACTLY!!!!!

That is why I hate to hear about soccer turning into Olympic training at 11 years of age. We really have no idea of what potential the good and bad players have at that age. There is no telling how many great players dumped the game because some coach ran practice like college and then sat them on the bench at 11 years old.

I know there are many issues regarding why kids leave the game. One article I read made the case that boys soccer could not compete with girls at the homecoming football game. What I will say is that if the kid has been made to love the game rather than made to fit in some club's ultra plans for a classic team, soccer in this country will be a lot better off -- and those kids will still be playing when it is time to go to their first homecoming.

snakebite

The Rush philosophy is to put the player's needs above the team's.  At Arkansas Rush, players are encouraged to play up in age, play with multiple teams, girls play on boy's teams, etc.  That's where developing the player comes into play.  The opportunity is there for every child, however most do not embrace the challenge.

The measure of success for Rush, at least as it was explained to me by the former Technical Director of Arkansas Rush, was not the number of State Championships or tournament trophies, but by the number of players who go on to play in college, on state and regional ODP teams, and those competing on a national level.  To me as a parent, that made sense.  Its not a State Championship team that gets a college scholarship, but an individual player.

Winning at the classic/competitive level is not the primary concern for the older Rush teams.  That is evident due to their choice NOT to participate in the State Championships.  While winning the State Championship feels good, it does not help develop players by sending them to Regionals to go 0-3. 

It was explained to me that there are typically up to 5 top flight players on any given top flight team in the State.  Meaning those kids can compete with any others kids at any level in the country.  What that means is that if you take the top 15-18 kids in an age group from across the state and go to, say Dallas, that team could compete with those top flight teams.  But that doesn't happen here.  Those top 18 kids are spread across 4-5 teams in the state.

I've heard it suggested to let the State Association run those teams.  Well, that wouldn't work because the State Association is affiliated with USYSA and would only participate in those events.  That would definitely exclude the ECNL (US Club) for the girls and possibly the Developmental Academy for the boys (administered by US Soccer).

Arkansas clubs do not have the luxury of having a pool of players who are highly dedicated and skilled to pick from to form their teams.  I remember hoping that enough kids would show up to tryouts to form a team.  Even now, we will still end up with half a team that is dedicated to playing the best soccer they can and the other half that is there just to stay sharp for high school.  I'm not saying there is anything wrong with either group, but its frustrating to those who want to move forward and play at college showcases and bigger tournaments and can't because the other half of the team has already gotten what they wanted out of the season.

It's even more frustrating to talk to other parents with other clubs and find out they are experiencing the same problems.  That's where the "One Club" theories would benefit the most.

Rush trains most of the older teams together (both boys and girls).  There are kids who are out there that may play on 3 different teams.  It allows kids, who are considered a "strong player" in their age group to be challenged at the older levels and still gain the confidence while playing with their age group. 

Rush came to Arkansas because Conway United Soccer Association was a dysfunctional group of parents trying to run a soccer club in their spare time.  When I was invited to meet with the Rush President from Colorado, I thought I was going hear a sales pitch for NIKE.  Fortunately, I went ahead and went because the presentation was about all the problems we were having and how they had been solved in the past.  What a relief it was losing my position on the Board of Directors and leaving all those problems in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing.  It was tough at first and not everyone liked it and some people went away to other clubs.

Arkansas Rush was invited to Jonesboro to run their club.  It didn't work out because it didn't fit the needs of a few strong-minded parents.  Fortunately, it did work for those who were interested in playing competitive soccer as most of those players still play for Rush.  The Jonesboro Soccer Association (or whatever their name is, not sure) runs the recreational programs and Rush gives those who want to play at a higher level an opportunity.

Arkansas Rush was invited to make a presentation to LRFC.  (Please note:  I was not involved in this one at all - I am speaking from heresay).  The parents on the LRFC Board said no and that's all I know.

I have tried to address all the points everyone has raised in their comments, but I know I have missed a few.

LR_Dad

Snakebite...I like the sound of that.  I assume Rush will only look to field only Classic teams if they come to LR?  Do you know when they will establish a program in LR?  Thanks for all of the great info.

snakebite

I don't think Rush is looking to establish a program in LR.  There are already a number of kids from the LR area playing for Rush, typically on the older teams.

As more players decide to play for Rush from other areas, that what necessitates holding practices there.

"Conquering the soccer world" and starting a turf war is not their agenda.  Developing soccer players to the best of their abilities and desires is what the coaches want to do.  It tends to attract those who want the same thing.

The way it has worked in the past with players from the LR area is that the coaches will hold 3-4 training sessions a week in different areas.  The players attend as many as they want, where they want.  Some weeks, my child attended 3:  2 in Conway and 1 at Burns.  As mentioned in an earlier post, several age groups trained together, so there was always enough players to work with and there is always a professional coach there to run the sessions.

Its kind of non-traditional but it works.

michu

Quote from: snakebite on March 27, 2013, 02:34:44 pm
Arkansas Rush was invited to make a presentation to LRFC.  (Please note:  I was not involved in this one at all - I am speaking from heresay).  The parents on the LRFC Board said no and that's all I know.
And not long after the LRFC board said no, DOC Nick Sherwood set sail for greener pastures. Simply making an assumption, but I would be willing to bet that's more than just a coinsidence.

I will try to get us some Rush tryout information unless Sankebite already has the info? Thanks for all the info, Sankebit. I really like the way it sounds.   

fanofsiloam

as a former parent of a Rush player, who ended up with that program because it was the only choice that made sense for us, I encourage any player to go to them.  It is a great program, run with confidence and a direction and I would recomend it for any player that is wanting to progress to the next level of their play, whatever that might be.

snakebite

All of the tryout information will be posted on the website, www.arkansasrush.com, as soon as it is available.

ruserious?

Since most of these posts concentrate on the Rush club and its philosophy/goal/mission, I would caution anyone to be cautious before you drink the kool-aid. Now before I get my head handed back to me, I will state that I am not a "hater" and I am an LRFC parent. My caution is simply based on what I have seen in being involved in youth soccer with 2 boys, for 20 years and across 2 states. There is no one club or program that is "the" perfect one for all players. We have friends and family members who compete for Rush and love it. We have friends that play for Bluebirds and love it. For us, the best fit is and will probably continue to be LRFC.

Does a higher number of choices dilute the talent pool across teams? Absolutely. But, to me, choosing a club/team (and it is really about the individual teams in a given club) is like choosing a college/career -- no one size fits all. In fact a "one size fits all" mentality usually means it does not fit anyone well. I would rather see kids have more options than just 1 or 2 when it comes to choosing a place to play. In my experience with youth soccer even older players want to be where they connect with the coach and their teammates. They do not care if they are wearing LRFC blue, Rush black, NWAL gold, Maumelle green or Westside red.  If our goal is to truly create an environment where the top players can come together and train/play then perhaps what we really need to push is ODP. Aside from that, my hope would be that we encourage kids to play the game with the place/team that fits them best. Play on.

snakebite

I'll agree with ruserious that there is no one club for everyone.  There are a number of factors that go into choosing a club to play for:  friends/social circle, geography, cost, etc.  And I too encourage everyone to seek out the best fit.

The main factor for us in choosing a club was quite selfish:  How are you (the club) going to help us achieve our wants/desires/goals for our child?

Early in our child's playing career, a desire to play in college was expressed.  So, we as parents, discussed this with the staff of Rush and came up with a plan.  Did it go that way in a smoothe manner?  No.  Did we consider changing clubs?  Absolutely.  But when we looked around, Rush still fit the bill better than any. 

And it wasn't about an individual team because my child has played for several teams within the Rush organization. 

I encourage every parent who has a child,  who is crazy enough about soccer that it might lead to something latter, to question their club about their philosophy and how that is going to benefit their child.  For the majority of the kids out there playing, this is still important as well as all the other factors in choosing a club.

Sportsaholic94

Just my 2 cents... from the Rush 94 boys team, something close to 10 players went on to play in college. That's humongous for an Arkansas team

GenesisGuzman16

I personally think if a club team can achieve what has been said, let them come to the LR area. Maybe they could help Arkansas teams compete with the nation. But what I would really love to see is club teams coming to the Southern part of Arkansas. That's what I believe has led to the gap in the competition between the conferences from the North and the South. A great example is the 6A South Conference. We don't have a club team anywhere in the South other than Warren's soccer experiment and El Dorado's on and off tournament team. The nearest teams are in Little Rock and that is a good 2 hours from where I live. That's also bad for some soccer players' financial issues. If we could get a club team in the South for high school level players, maybe then we could compete better with teams that have easier access to club teams.

Lionheart88

Quote from: GenesisGuzman16 on March 27, 2013, 07:39:23 pm
I personally think if a club team can achieve what has been said, let them come to the LR area. Maybe they could help Arkansas teams compete with the nation. But what I would really love to see is club teams coming to the Southern part of Arkansas. That's what I believe has led to the gap in the competition between the conferences from the North and the South. A great example is the 6A South Conference. We don't have a club team anywhere in the South other than Warren's soccer experiment and El Dorado's on and off tournament team. The nearest teams are in Little Rock and that is a good 2 hours from where I live. That's also bad for some soccer players' financial issues. If we could get a club team in the South for high school level players, maybe then we could compete better with teams that have easier access to club teams.
White Hall has a club.  Very rarely see any PB guys come out though.  Sheridan and Hot Springs also have clubs.

GenesisGuzman16

Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 27, 2013, 08:58:17 pm
Quote from: GenesisGuzman16 on March 27, 2013, 07:39:23 pm
White Hall has a club.  Very rarely see any PB guys come out though.  Sheridan and Hot Springs also have clubs.

I never hear of those teams but thanks for telling me! I need to work on some stuff and a club team or a team in general would help immensely in off season.

Arbitro

March 27, 2013, 10:44:20 pm #36 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:55:45 pm by Arbitro
Quote from: Lionheart88 on March 27, 2013, 08:58:17 pm
Just to be clear, White Hall and Sheridan have recreational soccer associations that register players/teams through the ASSA. The Hot Springs program officially fields recreational teams as well, although some of their teams have played in open tournaments like the President's cup in the past. The term "club soccer" is used by many people to refer exclusively to competitive/classic programs. So not all soccer clubs play club soccer. Go figure.
As for other programs in the south, Malvern and Arkadelphia have had youth soccer programs in the past, and Texarkana had a sizable program as well. What the south really lacks is the population density to make team formation and inter-club competition easier.

Lionheart88

True, sorry.  I forget the finer distinctions between "rec" and "club" some use, but since he mentioned Warren I figured he was using the more expansive definition.

GenesisGuzman16

Quote from: Arbitro on March 27, 2013, 10:44:20 pm
What the south really lacks is the population density to make team formation and inter-club competition easier.

Very much true but I believe that is due to the importance of other sports, such as football and basketball. I also think that the South could have a pretty decent team if we could get enough people in on the possible idea of a club coming to let the South have a chance in spring season. Remember, since soccer isn't one of the big four, interest is lost quickly by student-athletes and ADs so a competitive team could possibly raise interest.

michu

Quote from: ruserious? on March 27, 2013, 05:57:08 pm
  If our goal is to truly create an environment where the top players can come together and train/play then perhaps what we really need to push is ODP.
The only problem with the ODP system is limited training sessions and the unfortunate fact that many of the top players in the state don't participate. In order to maximize development and of course depending on age, these kids need to be training at a minimum of 3-4 days per week. Starting fall 2013, the academy development system will be adding the U13/14 age groups. So the top U13-U18 kids around the country are going to be training 5 days per week. Two days per week with a wide gap between the top and bottom players is not very productive and we as a youth soccer community will continue to fall behind the rest of the country.   

michu

Quote from: Sportsaholic94 on March 27, 2013, 06:51:58 pm
Just my 2 cents... from the Rush 94 boys team, something close to 10 players went on to play in college. That's humongous for an Arkansas team
That would be a huge number of college bound players from one team in the larger soccer markets like Dallas, St. Louis, LA, etc.. WOW

michu

Quote from: GenesisGuzman16 on March 27, 2013, 11:09:08 pm
Quote from: Arbitro on March 27, 2013, 10:44:20 pm
What the south really lacks is the population density to make team formation and inter-club competition easier.

Very much true but I believe that is due to the importance of other sports, such as football and basketball. I also think that the South could have a pretty decent team if we could get enough people in on the possible idea of a club coming to let the South have a chance in spring season. Remember, since soccer isn't one of the big four, interest is lost quickly by student-athletes and ADs so a competitive team could possibly raise interest.
A way to help the numbers issues, especially in southern arkansas, is to figure out how to get the hispanic community involved.

fanofsiloam

Quote from: snakebite on March 27, 2013, 06:41:21 pm
I'll agree with ruserious that there is no one club for everyone.  There are a number of factors that go into choosing a club to play for:  friends/social circle, geography, cost, etc.  And I too encourage everyone to seek out the best fit.

The main factor for us in choosing a club was quite selfish:  How are you (the club) going to help us achieve our wants/desires/goals for our child?

Early in our child's playing career, a desire to play in college was expressed.  So, we as parents, discussed this with the staff of Rush and came up with a plan.  Did it go that way in a smoothe manner?  No.  Did we consider changing clubs?  Absolutely.  But when we looked around, Rush still fit the bill better than any. 

And it wasn't about an individual team because my child has played for several teams within the Rush organization. 

I encourage every parent who has a child,  who is crazy enough about soccer that it might lead to something latter, to question their club about their philosophy and how that is going to benefit their child.  For the majority of the kids out there playing, this is still important as well as all the other factors in choosing a club.

Well said snakebite.  All points are true.  I would caution those who might be new to the 'club' world to not just take a DOC's or coaches word alone, but to talk to other parents and players and get their take on the clubs philosophy.  To say it is one thing, but to live it is another.  I only say this b/c we got caught in a club that really didn't meet their own standards and really left us holding the bag.

PressBox-81

fanofsiloam

Quote from: WC-soccer dad on March 28, 2013, 02:43:48 pm
Now Red Bull has joined with Rush to go along with it's main sponsor Adidas.

http://rushsoccer.com/index.php/7-front-page-slides/1157-red-bulls-announce-new-partnership-with-rush-soccer-and-adidas

Just one more reason to become a Rush player, and yes I've drank the kool-aid!  But I have results to show the program works.

ruserious?

Quote from: michu on March 28, 2013, 08:14:22 am
Quote from: ruserious? on March 27, 2013, 05:57:08 pm
  If our goal is to truly create an environment where the top players can come together and train/play then perhaps what we really need to push is ODP.
The only problem with the ODP system is limited training sessions and the unfortunate fact that many of the top players in the state don't participate. In order to maximize development and of course depending on age, these kids need to be training at a minimum of 3-4 days per week. Starting fall 2013, the academy development system will be adding the U13/14 age groups. So the top U13-U18 kids around the country are going to be training 5 days per week. Two days per week with a wide gap between the top and bottom players is not very productive and we as a youth soccer community will continue to fall behind the rest of the country.   

I agree that ODP's limited sessions are problematic but if you are trying to pool players from across a wide geographical area that will be an issue even in a club setting. I also agree that training should ideally be at least 3, preferably 4 days/week, but if a player is traveling 1-2 hours (or more) one way for training it is hard to do that on more than 2 school nights and since most teams play on weekends, it limits the use of Sat/Sun for training. I also agree that many of the top players are not participating in ODP - for multiple reasons. My statement is based on the premise that ODP SHOULD offer excellent training from highly qualified coaches, SHOULD allow players from across clubs/teams/communities to come together, and SHOULD include those players that are the top in their age group. I also know this does not happen in AR. My point was that if our goal is to create one pool of the highest caliber players, ODP, theoretically, offers that environment.

michu

Pool system involving the entire state is pretty much impossible. I would like to see all of the local clubs merge into the Rush program at the classic/competitive level due to our limited talent pool. This would create the best case scenario for youth soccer in central Arkansas. Local clubs seem to be doing OK with their rec programs, but it seems to fall apart in the classic/competitive age groups. Sounds like the structure of the Rush is needed and their resources seem to be constantly growing with the announcement of new partnership with Red Bulls. Kool Aid sounds pretty good to me. Give me some!

sevenof400

michu

Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2013, 11:51:54 am

They'll probably have to buy new uniforms.....again.
Can you say "Debbie Downer".

All of the local clubs buy uniforms once a year. Don't expect Rush teams to be wearing Red Bulls uniforms. They have they own brand to maintain.

fanofsiloam

Quote from: michu on March 29, 2013, 12:56:44 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on March 29, 2013, 11:51:54 am

They'll probably have to buy new uniforms.....again.
Can you say "Debbie Downer".

All of the local clubs buy uniforms once a year. Don't expect Rush teams to be wearing Red Bulls uniforms. They have they own brand to maintain.

The only reason I'm glad we are finished with this!  We had to buy a whole new kit for last year (even though we were in our last year of play) and if we had another year to go then there is another huge purchase for a brand new kit again!  there is no way that adidas is going to allow rush to not put their logo on their club unis.  Tough break for those still in the program.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas