• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carlisle Football

Started by hogwild_82, June 06, 2018, 04:27:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BisonFan1

Quote from: Bildo on June 13, 2018, 07:48:19 pm
You gotta take a look around geographically around Carlisle. We are a 2A school that is 25 miles from Little Rock and basically a stepping stone for coaches. You only get long term coaches if they have a family with kids that want to attend the school.  It's hard to keep coaches. As a school competing with bigger schools, it is hard to compete. In your line of work, do you want more or want to do better?  Probably something not many people consider or think about but it is a struggle

I'm guessing this is directed towards me.  I do agree with you, to a point.  Carlisle will always have a higher-than-normal turnover rate in coaches/teachers/etc., because, you are right, it is a 2A school with limited resources and limited money.  Most people, especially younger people, will move on to bigger, better paying jobs.  My point was that while I understand there will be people resigning every year during this time, it did seem somewhat alarming that 10 people (including your ENTIRE football staff) all resigned in one swoop.  I mean, did any of the assistants even try to remain on or go for the head job?  If not, that is extremely concerning. 

How many people teach/work at Carlisle Schools?  50, if that?  So, if you lose 10 that is 20% of your teachers/staff, gone.  I am simply expressing concern for what I am seeing and hearing regarding the last several years.  I know you stated you had a child that recently graduated, that you felt was benefited by attending Carlisle Schools.  That is awesome and I am happy for you as well as your child.  But, it still doesn't discount some of the red flags that have gone up in the last few years.  Like I said, I hope it all gets straightened out and the Carlisle School District continues to thrive.  If we ever lose our schools, you can kiss the community/city goodbye. 

BisonFan1

Quote from: papaeagle on June 13, 2018, 06:24:45 pm
I agree and a 1+ for you and so well stated from someone who recently went thru what student "athletes" go thru. Sadly it changes from year to year (not the coaches fault) as result of perhaps big personality differences in the following class, less parent control, more egos, less RESPECT as you mentioned and too much swagger for sure. The worst thing is for an athlete to THINK he is SO good and blame the coach for a loss rather than a lack of leadership and aggressive play on the part of the team, especially Seniors without leadership. It is more prevalent in small 2A and 3A classifications since the lack of numbers out for football puts the coach in a big "bind" to be too nice sometimes and having to please parents if the team loses. "Oh it's not my son's fault, etc etc)"  Bull... The world is constantly changing, and as a result more immature, electronic-cell phone minded students lose track of integrity, trust and RESPECT for coaches, administration and THEIR own parents. Nuff said but the 1+ for this poster is SO deserved and comes from a YOUNG person who should know the climate in today's small schools... TU for reading.  :-\

While it is easy to put a lot of the blame on the kids of today...I put just as much blame, if not more, on the parents who enable it.  Frank Martin, the head men's basketball coach at South Carolina, hit on this point in one of his pressers a year or so ago.  It's worth the watch. 

Parents, instead of supporting the coach and standing behind their decision, they want to second guess, complain, moan, tell little Johnny or Jenny that the coach doesn't know what they are doing, don't listen to them, etc.  Well, if mommy and daddy are feeding their children this, what do you expect the kid to do?  Instead, they should be saying, "Look if you aren't starting, then work harder," "You skip school/practice, you aren't playing," "You disrespect your coach or teammates, you are doing extra conditioning", etc.       

Bildo

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 13, 2018, 08:43:13 pm
I'm guessing this is directed towards me.  I do agree with you, to a point.  Carlisle will always have a higher-than-normal turnover rate in coaches/teachers/etc., because, you are right, it is a 2A school with limited resources and limited money.  Most people, especially younger people, will move on to bigger, better paying jobs.  My point was that while I understand there will be people resigning every year during this time, it did seem somewhat alarming that 10 people (including your ENTIRE football staff) all resigned in one swoop.  I mean, did any of the assistants even try to remain on or go for the head job?  If not, that is extremely concerning. 

How many people teach/work at Carlisle Schools?  50, if that?  So, if you lose 10 that is 20% of your teachers/staff, gone.  I am simply expressing concern for what I am seeing and hearing regarding the last several years.  I know you stated you had a child that recently graduated, that you felt was benefited by attending Carlisle Schools.  That is awesome and I am happy for you as well as your child.  But, it still doesn't discount some of the red flags that have gone up in the last few years.  Like I said, I hope it all gets straightened out and the Carlisle School District continues to thrive.  If we ever lose our schools, you can kiss the community/city goodbye.
My Post was not directed at you or anyone in particular. I am tired of everyone putting down our school and administration over personal issues. There will always be negative comments and opinions in every school, no matter the case. My opinion is just that... an opinion. The same as everyone else that has one. Mine just happens to be positive. Uhiren retired, Roberson went back home to Bald Knob, King was hardly ever at school and the other two "football" coaches had performance issues. Sorry... that's the truth. So,what it boils down to is, do your job. Do what you were hired to do.

LC sports

Carlisle isn't going to lose it's school. It's going to be okay. I have the utmost confidence in Coach Greene, Mr. Horn, Mrs. Horn and Coach Stewart that they will keep this ship going in the right direction.

The football program will be in good shape. Does anyone remember 2006 when Coach Steward was fired and Coach Jones retired and we had only one football coach left in Coach Pogue. Carlisle hired Scott Waymire and the rest was history. Granted, Coach Waymire isn't coming back...but Coach Greene will get the Bison a good one.

I'm a proud alumnus of Carlisle High School. And I'm proud of the fact that we've got good people working there in an effort to ensure the students, not just the athletes, are getting the best possible education.

Bildo

Very well said.... People that share your view are in the majority in Carlisle. With attitudes like this, we will be successful.

HoopKing

It got quiet real quick in here

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on June 14, 2018, 04:37:01 pm

All threads run their course and this one appears to have died a natural death. It will probably fire back up when the new coach is named.

TNT43012

June 15, 2018, 01:33:05 am #57 Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:47:43 am by TNT43012
The worst part about being in a 2A school is that it is used for a stepping stone. It's a place to get experience, especially in a coaches point of view. You do find loyal coaches who stick around for a long time (Coach Buffalo, Coach Waymire, and Coach Roberson). Those are just three that I can think of off the top of my head. Waymire and Roberson stuck around, but Waymire wanted to be closer to family and I respect that. It is natural for a person to work their way up. Starting at smaller schools and making their way to bigger schools to do bigger and better things for the community. Carlisle loses several teachers every year. This year, a lot of those teachers were coaches. It is nothing that the Carlisle community isn't used to and I am 200% sure that we will bounce back from it.

In addition, it isn't just a problem in Carlisle. Little Rock School district is having to fill 30 elementary positions.

Sonofasonofasailor

This morning's paper reports they have hired a new baseball coach from Bauxite that will assist with football.

Trojanbird

I wonder if that hire is pending on the outcome of the state police investigation for the bus incident?

TNT43012

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 15, 2018, 06:21:42 am
This morning's paper reports they have hired a new baseball coach from Bauxite that will assist with football.

Yes. Coach Steven Tew. Greene knows him and said he is a fantastic baseball coach.

Dayton Kitchens

Quote from: TNT43012 on June 15, 2018, 09:46:43 am
Yes. Coach Steven Tew. Greene knows him and said he is a fantastic baseball coach.

That's great.    Wonder if he'll use a pinch hitter on the Bison football team?

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Trojanbird on June 15, 2018, 08:01:21 am
I wonder if that hire is pending on the outcome of the state police investigation for the bus incident?

Maybe the locals know.  Bilbo or LC Sports?

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: Trojanbird on June 15, 2018, 08:01:21 am

Per guys at Bauxite, Tew was vetted extensively over this job.  There will be no issue.

Bildo

Tew and and the other Coach were all cleared of any wrong doing

Sonofasonofasailor

Looks like the process is chugging along.  Anyone know who has interviewed?

Carlisle's search for a head football coach will likely continue into next week.

B.J. Greene, Carlisle's high school principal and athletic director, said Sunday he had interviewed five candidates with two more to go this week.

"I was really hoping that things would be taken care of by now, but we're not where I want to be," he said. "We're trying to figure out our best options. Realistically, I'm hoping to have it done next week, and if I can make that process move faster, probably this week."

Arkansauce

I know of 2 people. I won't give any names. Coach A has tons of assistant experience with 0 hc experience and is older. Coach B has several years of hc experience and has proven himself more than capable of turning programs around in a short amount of time, he is also a younger coach. The question is which would you rather have out of those 2? If it were me, I would be banking on Coach B!!!

arkansasFBscoop

Greene doing a great job keeping this quite.  He'll get Carlisle a good one.

Prairie Duster

Head coach will be hired tonight at special school board meeting.

Sonofasonofasailor

Prairie Duster

Caleb Shock former asst at Heber Springs.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BISONBOOSTER on June 19, 2018, 08:13:41 pm
Caleb Shock former asst at Heber Springs.

The guy who hired him obviously gives a ringing endorsement.  Guess time will tell if he lives up to it.

I am excited to announce the addition of an incredible head football coach to our staff at CHS. This man is more than just a great football coach; he is a leader of men that always displays impeccable character and work ethic. I would like to announce the hiring of Caleb Shock as head football coach of our tradition rich Bison. Coach Shock comes from a coaching family as his father was a long time Arkansas football coach. Coach Shock was exposed to the game, the grind of building a top notch program and how to treat others at a very early age. He has undoubtedly held on to these virtues and utilizes them in his daily interactions. He is a motivator, a leader that has a never ending contagious energy. Coach Shock knows how to treat kids. He is an outstanding addition to our staff. Coach Shock first worked at Central Arkansas Christian under Tommy Shoemaker as an assistant football coach. From there he moved to Jackson Christian in Tennessee as the defensive coordinator, where they made the playoffs in every year there and culminating in the best finish in the quarterfinals. Most recently, he served as the head junior high coach at Heber Springs, where he won a conference championship. Then was moved up to the Defensive Coordinators position, where he coordinated defenses for one conference championship team, including one quarterfinal team. Coach Shock is a diligent worker that embodies what it means to be a Bison; respectful, hardworking, and tenacious. I am extremely excited for Coach Shock to arrive and begin working with our young men.

BJ Greene
High School Principal/Athletic Director

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 20, 2018, 06:57:48 am
The guy who hired him obviously gives a ringing endorsement.  Guess time will tell if he lives up to it.

I am excited to announce the addition of an incredible head football coach to our staff at CHS. This man is more than just a great football coach; he is a leader of men that always displays impeccable character and work ethic. I would like to announce the hiring of Caleb Shock as head football coach of our tradition rich Bison. Coach Shock comes from a coaching family as his father was a long time Arkansas football coach. Coach Shock was exposed to the game, the grind of building a top notch program and how to treat others at a very early age. He has undoubtedly held on to these virtues and utilizes them in his daily interactions. He is a motivator, a leader that has a never ending contagious energy. Coach Shock knows how to treat kids. He is an outstanding addition to our staff. Coach Shock first worked at Central Arkansas Christian under Tommy Shoemaker as an assistant football coach. From there he moved to Jackson Christian in Tennessee as the defensive coordinator, where they made the playoffs in every year there and culminating in the best finish in the quarterfinals. Most recently, he served as the head junior high coach at Heber Springs, where he won a conference championship. Then was moved up to the Defensive Coordinators position, where he coordinated defenses for one conference championship team, including one quarterfinal team. Coach Shock is a diligent worker that embodies what it means to be a Bison; respectful, hardworking, and tenacious. I am extremely excited for Coach Shock to arrive and begin working with our young men.

BJ Greene

Indeed.  Wish him all the best.  Just hope he's not too hard on the players. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: BisonFan1 on June 20, 2018, 08:36:34 am
Indeed.  Wish him all the best.  Just hope he's not too hard on the players.

Well, it says right here he knows how to treat kids. Veiled shot at the former coach?

BisonFan1

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 21, 2018, 08:45:10 am
Well, it says right here he knows how to treat kids. Veiled shot at the former coach?

Yea, that kind of stood out to me as well when I was reading his announcement.  I don't think Greene meant anything by that...at least I hope he didn't.  Mark has put in his time, is a member of the community and an alum of Carlisle Schools.  No need to take shots at him. 

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on June 19, 2018, 02:55:05 pm
Greene doing a great job keeping this quite.  He'll get Carlisle a good one.

I may have been wrong.  Sounds like more good ole boy stuff.

Quote from: Sonofasonofasailor on June 20, 2018, 06:57:48 am

BJ Greene

One of the strangest "introductions" I've seen.  Almost like he's trying to convince everyone of his ability, because he knows his name and career can't.  He's been exposed to the grind of building a top program?  Where??  Did that grind run him out of football and to mom's insurance agency?

Will be one to keep an eye on.  Superintendent is new and in on a 4-3 vote, football coach is an insurance salesman, entire coaching staff bounced.  I'm a bit surprised Carlisle people are taking this well.

Eagle boss

Made no sense hiring a guy with no head coaching experience, did not coach last yr, & was not planning on coaching this yr til they called him. That shows no passion or desire to be a head coach to me. Especially taking over the tradition righ Carlisle program. Good old boy syndrome. When it's a fact there were much better qualified candidates that interviewed. Go figure.

Bildo

Quote from: Eagle boss on June 21, 2018, 09:57:45 am
Made no sense hiring a guy with no head coaching experience, did not coach last yr, & was not planning on coaching this yr til they called him. That shows no passion or desire to be a head coach to me. Especially taking over the tradition righ Carlisle program. Good old boy syndrome. When it's a fact there were much better qualified candidates that interviewed. Go figure.
He applied... not sure about "until they called him".

purpleswag

This is the second thread you complained about a guy withouthead coaching experience getting a job. You do realize that current HCs were at one time asst. coaches that someone gave a job to right?

Bildo

Oh I'm sorry... I didn't know the school board and the administrators from Carlisle needed to get your permission before they hired a coach. Keep your opinions about such matters that don't involve you to yourself. You have no idea what the process was and who was the "most qualified" for the position. And I'm sure you have no idea what the situation was that he didn't coach last year... his personal life is just that... his and personal.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: Bildo on June 21, 2018, 11:45:15 am
He applied... not sure about "until they called him".

Shock said he had full intentions of taking over the family business and staying in it until he got a phone call about the Carlisle job.
"I answered it and listed to it and it materialized into this," Shock said of an offer to come to Carlisle.

That is straight from the article posted above.

Quote from: Bildo on June 21, 2018, 12:10:59 pm
Oh I'm sorry... I didn't know the school board and the administrators from Carlisle needed to get your permission before they hired a coach. Keep your opinions about such matters that don't involve you to yourself. You have no idea what the process was and who was the "most qualified" for the position. And I'm sure you have no idea what the situation was that he didn't coach last year... his personal life is just that... his and personal.

Then a message board probably is not the best place for you.

Given your perceived knowledge of the situation, please inform us all what made this guy the "most qualified" for the job outside of having worked with the principal at Heber Springs? 

Quote from: purpleswag on June 21, 2018, 11:50:24 am
This is the second thread you complained about a guy withouthead coaching experience getting a job. You do realize that current HCs were at one time asst. coaches that someone gave a job to right?

I do agree with this, btw.

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: HoopKing on June 14, 2018, 04:37:01 pm

Not so quiet in here now.  :)

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on June 21, 2018, 09:35:32 am

One of the strangest "introductions" I've seen.  Almost like he's trying to convince everyone of his ability, because he knows his name and career can't.  He's been exposed to the grind of building a top program?  Where??  Did that grind run him out of football and to mom's insurance agency?

Will be one to keep an eye on.  Superintendent is new and in on a 4-3 vote, football coach is an insurance salesman, entire coaching staff bounced.  I'm a bit surprised Carlisle people are taking this well.

Agree.  Seems like he's trying hard to justify the hire.

BisonFan1

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on June 21, 2018, 09:35:32 am

My thoughts exactly.  I totally agree with your last paragraph and have already expressed my concerns regarding the administration and the direction of the school system.  But, according to some on here, there is no need for any concern. 

I did think, like you, that his introduction of the new coach was quite extensive and a little bit odd.  I understand talking your hire up, but this seems a little strange, IMO. 

Bildo

My point is... people on here are running their mouth about people (who have families) you don't know. He and his family owe you no explanation. I suppose you would be ok with someone stating you were not the most qualified for your job and put it out in a message board for the world to see. What it boils down to is... they are teachers first, coaches second. If everyone threw as big of a fit about the hiring of a math or history teacher, we would be in a much better place. It's football... it's a game. Treat these people as you wish to be treated. Show support or shut up...

razorbackrob

I wish I knew who the negative nay-sayers are on this post because it's easy to hide behind a screen name.  By the way I am Robert Fortner Jr.

purpleswag

Quote from: Bildo on June 21, 2018, 03:46:21 pm
My point is... people on here are running their mouth about people (who have families) you don't know. He and his family owe you no explanation. I suppose you would be ok with someone stating you were not the most qualified for your job and put it out in a message board for the world to see. What it boils down to is... they are teachers first, coaches second. If everyone threw as big of a fit about the hiring of a math or history teacher, we would be in a much better place. It's football... it's a game. Treat these people as you wish to be treated. Show support or shut up...

LOL

razorbackrob

I believe that Clayton was hired as an assistant at Carlisle and became one heck of a head coach at same school.  Waymire was an assistant at Vilonia and was hired as the HC at Carlisle and did a pretty good job himself.  So now it's Shock's turn to do the same.  If somebody has a problem with the admin go to school and get your masters and apply for the job. 

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: Bildo on June 21, 2018, 03:46:21 pm

Don't disagree with your point at all but unfortunately, athletics are often the front porch of a school and coaches the most familiar faces associated with that school.  Was an article like the one attached above published the last time an English teacher was hired? Did the principal release similar glowing comments about any other newly hired teacher?  I'm guessing not.  Right, wrong or indifferent, coaches are more open to scrutiny than a classroom teacher. After all, this site is called Fearless Friday, not Mathematics Monday  :).  Regardless, here's hoping everyone involved is successful this fall and beyond.

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: razorbackrob on June 21, 2018, 04:35:58 pm
I believe that Clayton was hired as an assistant at Carlisle and became one heck of a head coach at same school.  Waymire was an assistant at Vilonia and was hired as the HC at Carlisle and did a pretty good job himself.  So now it's Shock's turn to do the same.  If somebody has a problem with the admin go to school and get your masters and apply for the job.

The question is not about hiring an assistant.  Schools do that all the time.

razorbackrob

Then what's the question?

arkansasFBscoop

Quote from: razorbackrob on June 21, 2018, 05:13:28 pm
Then what's the question?

How does a guy out of coaching wind up as head coach at a school, Carlisle, that claims football is important?  How was his resume better than, say, Roberson?  How was his resume better than any other candidate?  He was out of coaching all together.  Carlisle reached out to him.  Other than good ole boy stuff, which hasn't served Carlisle well lately, why?

They had assistants, coordinators, from good programs apply.  There is no shame in hiring an assistant.  It seems questionable to hire a guy who himself said he was cool staying out of the game.

They went good ole boy last time bringing in Uhiren, out of coaching after he'd be reassigned at Marion.  Passed on some really good football coaches who were in the mix that year, too.

razorbackrob

June 21, 2018, 05:23:35 pm #92 Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:49:40 pm by razorbackrob
How is this good ole boy stuff?
BisonFan1 who are you?
How many people on this post are actually from Carlisle?
Roll Call: Me, Bildo....who else?

arkansasprepfootball

Who you know is often times more important than what you know.  That goes for many professions.  Let this guy do his job.  If he can't, it'll show.  He he can, it'll show.  Goes for every hire made.

razorbackrob

I'm pretty close to the school and program and Coach Green kept the names that he had on his list close to vest.  So how do people know about others.  I don't know if Coach Rob was offered, but I do know that he was torn between Carlisle and Bald Knob his Alma Mater (I wish that he was still here).  In regards to the good ole boy statement, how is it a good ole boy hire when all of these coaches are in a fraternity of their own.  Coaches know who can coach and who can't, and I'm not saying that the ones that Green interviewed can't coach.  I trust Green in the hire that he made.  GO BISON!   

Sonofasonofasailor

Quote from: razorbackrob on June 21, 2018, 05:43:36 pm
I'm pretty close to the school and program and Coach Green kept the names that he had on his list close to vest.  So how do people know about others.  I don't know if Coach Rob was offered, but I do know that he was torn between Carlisle and Bald Knob his Alma Mater (I wish that he was still here).  In regards to the good ole boy statement, how is it a good ole boy hire when all of these coaches are in a fraternity of their own. Coaches know who can coach and who can't, and I'm not saying that the ones that Green interviewed can't coach.  I trust Green in the hire that he made.  GO BISON!

You answered your own question.

BisonFan1

Quote from: arkansasFBscoop on June 21, 2018, 05:23:34 pm
How does a guy out of coaching wind up as head coach at a school, Carlisle, that claims football is important?  How was his resume better than, say, Roberson?  How was his resume better than any other candidate?  He was out of coaching all together.  Carlisle reached out to him.  Other than good ole boy stuff, which hasn't served Carlisle well lately, why?

They had assistants, coordinators, from good programs apply.  There is no shame in hiring an assistant.  It seems questionable to hire a guy who himself said he was cool staying out of the game.

They went good ole boy last time bringing in Uhiren, out of coaching after he'd be reassigned at Marion.  Passed on some really good football coaches who were in the mix that year, too.

The majority of Carlisle fans that I talked to were glad to have Mark back.  He had years of coaching experience, at multiple levels of high school football, who was from Carlisle, played at Carlisle and has family in Carlisle.  You can call it the "good old boy system" but I think most people would expect someone like him to have a legitimate shot at his alma mater.

The only other name that I heard that matched his credentials/experience was Bolding, who had just been canned at NLR for all sorts of shady stuff.  I, personally, didn't want someone like him at Carlisle, especially after we got caught playing an ineligible player in 2015. 

As someone said earlier, Greene played this hire close to the vest, so I don't know who all applied or was genuinely interested in the job.  I, too, would have liked to have seen what Coach Roberson could have done, but that is a mute point now.  I wish the best for the new coach and hope he has success.  Will he?  I guess we'll see in a few years. 

razorbackrob

BisonFan1 you still haven't given your name. 

Bildo

I agree that this is a football forum. I also agree that this is a great place to debate things such as teams, coaches, etc. BUT... there is a line that should not be crossed. No person deserves to be ridiculed for a decision that they made in their career path. So what someone didn't coach last year?! What difference does that make?! Someone's opinion about another person's qualifications has no validity other than to stir the pot. Many were happy that Uhiren came back to coach... he hadn't coached in a few years. Does that make him a bad coach?! No. The man won a state championship for goodness sakes. An attack on someone's character or qualifications is a cowardly move. Have a debate that is respectful and you will get no grief from me. Just remember that that shoe may be on the other foot someday.

purpleswag

Quote from: razorbackrob on June 21, 2018, 06:46:26 pm
BisonFan1 you still haven't given your name.

And why should he?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas