• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Busy Offseason....

Started by FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48, March 16, 2019, 12:17:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FF Secretary of Defense Flap_Jack48

So, I'm up this evening doing that midnight feeding of my little 3 week old son and a buddy of mine texts me with yet another "transfer" into the Robinson school district.  I just find it funny that this is the third such transfer that I'm aware of since the end of football season and it's really strange that all three play football.

I'm not going to put any names on here, out of respect to the kids, but I have the names if anyone wants to call bluffs here.  I realize that the school of choice rule bends the line a good bit, but it's strange how Robinson really seems to be the beneficiary of so many of these type of transfers.  I'm sure the academics there in West Little Rock are solid, but I can't help but think the decisions are based around the football field.

Anyways, just found it interesting.  School of choice really only seems to be helping one very particular school of choice in Little Rock at the moment.  Sure seems like Eskola has done a fine job building teams but still doesn't have any hardware to show for it.  It's safe to say the Senators have had a very busy offseason!

-Kyle

beach bum

Still won't be able to beat Arkadelphia or Warren when it matters most....

OrangeCrush.

The Metro all-star team still can't beat the little hometown kids from south Arkansas.

beach bum

Quote from: OrangeCrush. on March 16, 2019, 09:10:56 am
The Metro all-star team still can't beat the little hometown kids from south Arkansas.

Yes and throw in they won't beat Nashville either when all the marbles are on the line in the postseason..... Coaching and toughness matters at the end.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Wonder if Eskola get any kick backs from the Chamber of Commerce or has any relatives making a killing off the real estate that changes hands every season there? Does the basketball, baseball, track, softball, or soccer coaches scour the city like Ol' Todd does?

Mr. Mercer

By the sound of it no one is worried about them in the playoffs regardless of who they have, so who cares who they get.

OrangeCrush.

If they ever go get some real coaches instead of clowns then we will be worried.

AirWarren

Wonder how much the blending affects team cohesion?

If I'm a kid playing at a loser Little Rock school who is concerned about "me" and only me...decides to come to the hot up and coming Little Rock school with the nice facilities but is in it for "me" and exposure and not the team.

Kids in most small towns grow up playing together from pee wee and up. They form bonds. They form Cohesion. But when you got a team of kids from multiple middle schools from across Little Rock and north Little Rock and central Arkansas in general, then there is allegiance to me and not the program.

I'll take a team of 35-40 WARREN kids who have been winning pee wee championships together than a team of 65 metro Little Rock middle school kids who just met.

Just my take.

AirWarren

The bag man has found his poach team for sure. PH bucs. Several of the seniors from this years senior class at joe t were products of the Bucs team. Including The DE at Arkansas and 4 others.

Warren pee wee handles the PH bucs this year. Lil ole Warren. Bag man might need to find some new blood.

beach bum

March 16, 2019, 11:28:59 am #9 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:34:25 am by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on March 16, 2019, 11:08:35 am
Wonder how much the blending affects team cohesion?

If I'm a kid playing at a loser Little Rock school who is concerned about "me" and only me...decides to come to the hot up and coming Little Rock school with the nice facilities but is in it for "me" and exposure and not the team.

Kids in most small towns grow up playing together from pee wee and up. They form bonds. They form Cohesion. But when you got a team of kids from multiple middle schools from across Little Rock and north Little Rock and central Arkansas in general, then there is allegiance to me and not the program.

I'll take a team of 35-40 WARREN kids who have been winning pee wee championships together than a team of 65 metro Little Rock middle school kids who just met.

Just my take.

I think this post is 100% spot on.... I have seen this at PG. Those good groups that came through between 2-5 years ago I would see about 15 kids in the summers many evenings working on 7 on 7 stuff together with NO COACHES. They were doing this all on their own. I did not see any of that last summer, and hence PG dropped off this last season. Yes, I'm not naïve to know talent matters, but those good group of PG kids had the right mindset. They had what you just talked about "that togetherness for a similar goal" which probably came from growing up together throughout school. What you just described you just can't put a price tag on when kids are in it together for the same goal and go the extra mile as a GROUP, and not an individual. You can't coach that either.... It's intrinsic up to the kids. When you have a group of kids who have good cohesion working hard seems a lot more fun than just doing something for themselves.

Mr. Mercer

Air Warren I agree that in a perfect world it'd be great to have kids grow up together and play together from start to finish, but that's difficult in a larger city. Robinson has had quite of few move ins, but they're also just getting their kids back from schools in LRSD or private. Which means there is no need for a change of address. Two cycles ago Robinson was middle of the pack attendance wise and now this next cycle will be their last in 4A. The entire school population has grown with upgrade in facilities and more focus to academics.  Robinson loses their fair share to Catholic/PA/Christian, Central and Parkview. People in Little Rock were looking for a non private option in football. Robinson emerged as that about 4 years ago. Obviously McClellan has had success as well, but many aren't sending their kids to a school in Southwest LR. Location benefits Robinson.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

The lack of cohesion really surfaced in the championship game. Seemed like every player was waiting on the players next to him to step up.

Does this cycle end after next year?

JessieP

This is a subject I have "made my bones" on, to the point of being obnoxious. School choice is a joke and it's hastening the death of high school football in Arkansas, It's not the biggest factor but it's a factor. The University of Washington did a study back in 08 or 09 that found in states with school choice sports was the determining factor over academics by a margin of 3 to 1. When parents say "I want to provide the best education for my kids" I hear blah blah blah. School choice is being used to build a select few powerhouses and a glut on mediocre teams. The boundary/transfer rules here are a joke. Until the AAA grows a pair (I crack myself up) and lay's down the law the scales will continue to tip in favor of Arkansas being known as a basketball state and a football joke. Our basketball players are much higher rated then our football players in National rankings. Every parent should have the right to send their kids where they chose, they don't have the same right to extra curricular activities. You want little Jimmy to go to ....... because you feel........has a better math program, that's fine. If he wants to play on a team he must play where he lives. That's not gonna happen, asking the AAA to stand up to schools is like asking the Girl Scouts to battle the Marines.

Football exposes this inequality far more then basketball. In football numbers, size and money matters. In basketball good coaching can overcome that. Think I'm exaggerating? Look at our basketball playoffs, exciting close games were the norm. Thrilling nail biters. In football the majority were mercy ruled yawnfests. Arkansas basketball is very respected for a state our size. Arkansas football is becoming a joke. I fear the tipping point has been reached and it's beyond repair.

SUGARTOWN

March 18, 2019, 12:56:15 pm #13 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 03:00:50 pm by SUGARTOWN
I've yet to see why anyone can possibly complain about parents moving their child to a school where they can have the most academic and athletic success. Sure, not all have the means to do that, but if you can, why not? Don't we all want what's best for our kids?

Speaking of Joe. T Robinson, it's by the far the best public school in all facets in the Little Rock area. What's the big deal about people moving their kids there? EVERY school that has a good athletic programs has had "move ins" over years. I guess the problem is that they have more and sometimes better ones than what your school has? As has been said before (by me, for one) bringing in good players doesn't automatically win you a title, obviously Joe T. has not cleared that hurdle yet. Good TEAMS win titles, not necessarily the team with the best players. So I'm not quite sure what you guys are ranting about.

As Mr. Mercer said, Robinson will be moving up in class soon, so that means that enrollment overall is up. Are you complaining about the regular students that are moving there because it's a good school or are you just whining about the ones that play sports?

RabAlumni

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 18, 2019, 12:56:15 pm
I've yet to see why anyone can possibly complain about parents moving their child to a school where they can have the most academic and athletic success. Sure, not all have the means to do that, but if you can, why not? Don't we all want what's best for our kids?

Speaking of Joe. T Robinson, it's by the far the best public school in all facets in the Little Rock area. What's the big deal about people moving their kids there? EVERY school that has a good athletic programs has had "move ins" over years. I guess the problem is that they have more and sometimes better ones than what your school has? As has been said before (by me, for one) bringing in good players doesn't automatically win you a title, obviously Joe T. has not cleared that hurdle yet. Good TEAMS win titles, not necessarily the team with the best players. So I'm not quite sure what you guys are ranting about.

As Mr. Mercer said, Robinson will be moving up in class soon, so that means that enrollment overall is up. Are you complaining about the regular that are moving there because it's a good school or are you just whining about the ones that play sports?

+ 1   - Tell The Truth Sugar!

JessieP

March 18, 2019, 06:51:55 pm #15 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:53:55 pm by JessieP
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 18, 2019, 12:56:15 pm

As Mr. Mercer said, Robinson will be moving up in class soon, so that means that enrollment overall is up. Are you complaining about the regular students that are moving there because it's a good school or are you just whining about the ones that play sports?

Absolutely. Wealth should dictate opportunities. Kids from lower income families should just sit down and shut up. I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about this whole admission scandal thing? Some rich parents broke the law? That's a stupid law. If your parents can afford to buy rewards why work for it? The thing is this, having had played football in both high school and college and being around sports my whole adult life I can tell you, when people transfer to another school to play sports it's the ONLY factor. Academics? An after thought.

What do you think will happen sooner, Kanye West becomes President? Donald Trump will become the host of Soul Train ? The Shriner's will rename all of their hospitals "The Shriners Michael Jackson Hospital" or we'll have an overtime game in the state football playoffs. Let's keep helping the rich get richer. The numbers of football players is dropping every year and nothing will slow that down like knowing that only 3 or 4 teams in each classification will be good.

SUGARTOWN

March 18, 2019, 08:25:34 pm #16 Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:34:26 pm by SUGARTOWN
So every student who transfers school districts is rich? You're delusional if you think that. I know for a fact that isn't true. Why are you taking about the college admission scandal. That has nothing to do Arkansas public school football. Lol

But you're right I guess, people shouldn't aspire to improve their situation. Maybe you think kids that want to play football but go to LR Hall should just suck it up and take the hand that's dealt them and play for a program who couldn't give a crap about football?

Or maybe you wanted to transfer when you where in school and couldn't? Maybe that's your whole issue with student transfers. You've been ranting on this for years for some reason. It's tiresome.

Trojanbird

I am sure that Warren, or any other winning program in the state have had their share of move ins over the years!  Haven't heard of too many transferring to losing programs.

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 18, 2019, 08:25:34 pm
So every student who transfers school districts is rich? You're delusional if you think that. I know for a fact that isn't true. Why are you taking about the college admission scandal. That has nothing to do Arkansas public school football. Lol

But you're right I guess, people shouldn't aspire to improve their situation. Maybe you think kids that want to play football but go to LR Hall should just suck it up and take the hand that's dealt them and play for a program who couldn't give a crap about football?

Or maybe you wanted to transfer when you where in school and couldn't? Maybe that's your whole issue with student transfers. You've been ranting on this for years for some reason. It's tiresome.

Wanted to transfer but couldn't? Geez, you're really phoning it in with that one. Talk about a lazy effort. Nope, I played where I lived, back in the day we all did. I grew up in a very upper middle class environment, tuition to private schools was not an issue. I also played for a season at a D1 Power 5 school before injuries and lack of next level talent derailed my football days. The college scandal is apropos only as it is used to illustrate that our world (sports) is becoming more and more a world where finances dictates outcome more than effort or ability. If my frustration of schools being strip mined of talent is "tiresome" to you I'll tell you what, don't reply. I honestly don't recall hiring someone to hold a gun to your head forcing you to read/respond to me. I happen to be somewhat versed on this issue (the death of football), CTE is an issue that cannot be done away with. Prohibitive cost and lack of parity can be rectified.

Tiresome? Wow, that's impressive. Not sure I fully grasp that concept. If you mean physically tiresome then God Speed, that's a shame. If you mean emotionally tiresome then buck up, there have been miraculous advancements in the world of pharmaceutical intervention. They can make those voices in your head go away. 

SUGARTOWN

March 19, 2019, 06:12:41 am #19 Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:16:09 am by SUGARTOWN
Someone's triggered...

But you still haven't said why you think kids shouldn't transfer to better their situation?

RabAlumni

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 06:12:41 am
Someone's triggered...

But you still haven't said why you think kids shouldn't transfer to better their situation?

Someone help me out here, but I thought JessieP was a P.A. person? 

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: RabAlumni on March 19, 2019, 09:22:19 am

Someone help me out here, but I thought JessieP was a P.A. person?

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's a Batesville person who's anti player transfers as it gives some "competitive advantage" and it's JUST NOT FAIR!  :'(

As I've stated before, I've still haven't heard any reason outside of sour grapes for people to complain about public school transfers...

RabAlumni

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 10:37:28 am
I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's a Batesville person who's anti player transfers as it gives some "competitive advantage" and it's JUST NOT FAIR!  :'(

As I've stated before, I've still haven't heard any reason outside of sour grapes for people to complain about public school transfers...

Wait, hasn't there been several Newport players and others from around the "area" that transferred to Batesville in the years past to play?

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 10:37:28 am

Yes, Batesville is the team I support. It's because I live in Batesville and have a sense of community pride. I also have great admiration for PA. They win by smart coaching and yes, their fans actually admit private schools enjoy many advantages.

Now seeing as how I've been posting about transfers for "years" and to you it's become "tiresome" one must question your comprehension acumen, I included the reasons I oppose it every time. Sour Grapes? Batesville has never had a contributing player transfer out. At least no players that anyone would have lifted a finger to oppose. Personal sour grapes? Again I'm sorry to disappoint you but nope. I am very proud of my personal experiences playing the game I love. I recently got a newsletter from my alumni association saying our teammates had amassed 57 years NFL experience, 4 Pro Bowl players, 7 Super Bowl rings and one Hall of Famer.. No regrets there. BTW, if you doubt it do a little homework, there are a few posters that can verify. Why do I oppose it? Football is dying. It's dying from the ground up. Over the years there have been dozens of articles, studies, programs and discussions as to why. KAIT in cooperation with the U of Arkansas did a great segment on it. The common three factors that everyone list are CTE, prohibitive cost and lack of parity. CTE is being worked on and safety measures are being implemented. The 2 issues that can be addressed are finances and level playing field.

But by all means, keep that head of yours deep in the sand. In less then a decade Arkansas will have about 10 teams with 80 players and 60 or so with 25. Great sales pitch that fosters "Hey Timmy, want to give up your entire summer to bust your rear, get beat up and battered, stay after school till 6pm all Fall and get up Saturday at 7am to lose 8 out of 10 games"? Yeah, they'll be circling the block to sign up. 

Keep shooting players to a select few schools and Hootens becomes a pamphlet. I can't wait to hear coaches like Kelley, Jones and King say "We feel like we have a team this year capable of winning all 5 games".     

JessieP

Quote from: RabAlumni on March 19, 2019, 10:56:26 am

Wait, hasn't there been several Newport players and others from around the "area" that transferred to Batesville in the years past to play?

I can think of 3 in the past 10 years, they all moved here. I'm guessing you're not overly versed in this area. Newport is 32 miles from Batesville. I doubt many kids would make that drive at 6am to play football.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Everyone on FF is for kids bettering themselves, I believe this thread was started to laugh at Eskola for going out and getting another senior class with a ton of 4 star athletes and then falling short.

If the school enrollment is growing as fast as it seems and all of the new kids aren't on the football team, one cannot say only athletes are transferring. The influx has to be because it is a great school choice.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: KASH dba The Lumberjack on March 19, 2019, 11:57:24 am
Everyone on FF is for kids bettering themselves, I believe this thread was started to laugh at Eskola for going out and getting another senior class with a ton of 4 star athletes and then falling short.

If the school enrollment is growing as fast as it seems and all of the new kids aren't on the football team, one cannot say only athletes are transferring. The influx has to be because it is a great school choice.

This is true and my point from my previous post before Jesse hijacked the thread. I still have no idea why he posted on this thread, he makes no point regarding this topic.

Believe me, I'm one of the first ones to question Eskola's coaching, but I see no need to question kids transferring in there, whatever their reason may be.

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 12:12:15 pm
This is true and my point from my previous post before Jesse hijacked the thread. I still have no idea why he posted on this thread, he makes no point regarding this topic.

Believe me, I'm one of the first ones to question Eskola's coaching, but I see no need to question kids transferring in there, whatever their reason may be.

Hijacked? Thank you. My ego grows yet again. I read a great many post on here that I find irrelevant or just plain dumb. How do I show my feelings? I don't respond. The fact that Suggie Boy responded, yet again, and felt I had hijacked it it proof irrefutable how much my post mean to him. Sweetie pants you are a true fan and I thank you.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: JessieP on March 19, 2019, 02:12:09 pm
Hijacked? Thank you. My ego grows yet again. I read a great many post on here that I find irrelevant or just plain dumb. How do I show my feelings? I don't respond. The fact that Suggie Boy responded, yet again, and felt I had hijacked it it proof irrefutable how much my post mean to him. Sweetie pants you are a true fan and I thank you.

I guess I need to remind you that you initially responded to my post on this thread. I didn't seek you out chief.

And you still don't have a point regarding this thread topic...

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 02:47:28 pm
I guess I need to remind you that you initially responded to my post on this thread. I didn't seek you out chief.

And you still don't have a point regarding this thread topic...

Just when I thought we had found the bottom of your lack of comprehension...elevator down! The thread started with Lumberjack questioning the number of transfers and wondered if football was the driving force. Every post I've made is in line with that. Exactly how difficult is basic reading for you? It's a shame FF doesn't have the Microsoft Color app to people could respond to you with crayons and shiny objects. Maybe if we responded with the Blues Clues filter you'd be able to follow along better.

SUGARTOWN

March 19, 2019, 04:13:23 pm #30 Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 04:38:48 pm by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: JessieP on March 19, 2019, 03:29:53 pm
Just when I thought we had found the bottom of your lack of comprehension...elevator down! The thread started with Lumberjack questioning the number of transfers and wondered if football was the driving force. Every post I've made is in line with that. Exactly how difficult is basic reading for you? It's a shame FF doesn't have the Microsoft Color app to people could respond to you with crayons and shiny objects. Maybe if we responded with the Blues Clues filter you'd be able to follow along better.

I went back and reread your original post (hint: learn how to end a paragraph and start a new one).

I have a couple questions:

1. Where is school choice creating football powerhouses in Arkansas? (as you stated) LR Central and Pine Bluff have by far the most titles in Arkansas and they're definitely not powerhouses anymore. The only public school currently that can claim that is Greenwood and that's only in the last 15 years or so, there certainly isn't a plethora of powerhouses. It's goes through cycles like it always has.

2. Did you say that kids should go to one school for academics then play at another for sports??? That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on here. So congrats for that.

That's about all I could glean from your ramblings.

Missco

Society has changed. A lot of kids might live closer to a high school even though its in a different district.

beach bum

Quote from: Missco on March 19, 2019, 04:56:42 pm
Society has changed. A lot of kids might live closer to a high school even though its in a different district.

This is the case in Prairie Grove/Farmington... The subdivision that made Prairie Grove grow so much is literally just a mile or two from Farmington High School. The addresses at all the homes are Farmington, yet its in the Prairie Grove district school zone. It makes way more sense to go to Farmington, yet they all go to PG.

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 04:13:23 pm
I went back and reread your original post (hint: learn how to end a paragraph and start a new one).

I have a couple questions:

1. Where is school choice creating football powerhouses in Arkansas? (as you stated) LR Central and Pine Bluff have by far the most titles in Arkansas and they're definitely not powerhouses anymore. The only public school currently that can claim that is Greenwood and that's only in the last 15 years or so, there certainly isn't a plethora of powerhouses. It's goes through cycles like it always has.

2. Did you say that kids should go to one school for academics then play at another for sports??? That is by far the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard on here. So congrats for that.

That's about all I could glean from your ramblings.

Read, re-read and then have someone read/explain the post to you. I never said anything remotely like that, I never said anything that anyone with a comprehension level above grade 3 would interpret that way. I said academics are guaranteed. Extra curricular activities (Sports. Those events where the kids wear matching uniforms and play with balls) are not. School choice was set up to provide parents an opportunity to send their kids to a school they felt would most meet their academic needs. In 1980 Milton Friedman, an economist intellectual PBS host, wrote a landmark paper on the failure of public education. He is considered the Father of school choice in America. His paper was what first started the concept of school choice. Virginia was the first state to take it out for a spin. Friedman has since, numerous times, that the concept has been co-opted by parents of athletes and high school coaches. It's primary purpose is now for athletics, not academics. Those are Mr Friedman's words, not mine. What I said was that in a perfect world you could choose your school for academics, sports should be limited by boundaries. Look up the definition of extra curricular activities. 

How's this for a new paragraph, isn't Tuesday afternoon a little early to be hitting the bottle so hard? I pray that's the thrust of your comment, alcohol. If not then the fact you gleaned "play one place study at another," from my post is downright scary.   

SUGARTOWN

Oh, I see, you think certain kids shouldn't be ALLOWED to participate extra curricular activities. Yeah, that's not any better, in fact that's even dumber.

You didn't answer my first question about school choice creating powerhouse teams. Who are these powerhouses???

No need to type an essay in response either, no one cares about studies from 1980 or a study from the Univ. of Washington.

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 19, 2019, 09:01:36 pm
Oh, I see, you think certain kids shouldn't be ALLOWED to participate extra curricular activities. Yeah, that's not any better, in fact that's even dumber.

You didn't answer my first question about school choice creating powerhouse teams. Who are these powerhouses???

No need to type an essay in response either, no one cares about studies from 1980 or a study from the Univ. of Washington.

Correction, simple minded people who watch Hee Haw like it's a documentary don't. I sincerely apologize for taxing your mind with references to fancy book lernin. Do you have AxsTv? Japan new pro wrastlin is coming on.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: JessieP on March 19, 2019, 10:05:30 pm
Correction, simple minded people who watch Hee Haw like it's a documentary don't. I sincerely apologize for taxing your mind with references to fancy book lernin. Do you have AxsTv? Japan new pro wrastlin is coming on.

So you can't answer my question. Just admit you have no idea what you're talking about...

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 20, 2019, 05:53:36 am
So you can't answer my question. Just admit you have no idea what you're talking about...

I apologize, I take full responsibility. The issue is not that I have no idea what I'm talking about but rather I have no idea who I'm talking to. That's on me. I need to slow it way down and walk you through it. It's totally on me. This is no excuse but my 9 year old nephew is visiting so I got the two of you confused, I would deal with a kid that had the comprehension level of a 9 year old then I'd reply online to someone who wasn't quite at that pitch. Let me slow it down.

It's hard to provide proof to a claim I never made but I'll walk you through my concern. I was making the point that the declining number of football players could lead to what is referred to as "The death of football". Now that statement is what's called a superlative, an exaggerated expression to make a point. You really can't have an actual death of a sport,  a sport is not really a living breathing organic life form. What I did say was we may be headed to a situation where you have 10 or so powerhouses and the rest are mediocre. That's whats called the present and future tense. Let me give you an example, people talk about global warming and it's effects. One claim is that if it's not dealt with we could have an uninhabitable planet. When someone say's that it's not proper to say "Come on, name me one uninhabitable earth, just one, why are you avoiding the question"? Follow me? I know this is a lot for you to handle to take some time to re-read it a few times. I never said we have powerhouse teams as a result of transfers, I said we will.

I know you may be exhausted by now so go pour yourself a big bowl of Captain Crunch and grab your favorite book. Today may well be the day you find Waldo.   

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: JessieP on March 17, 2019, 11:33:17 pm
School choice is being used to build a select few powerhouses and a glut on mediocre teams.

Well, actually you DID say it here. If you wanted that in the future tense as you claim you should've said "School choice MAY be used to build a select few powerhouses and a glut on mediocre teams." You used present tense, then when pressed to produce evidence of your claim you said you didn't say it.

Either you didn't remember what you said or you realized you couldn't back up your claim and tried to change what you meant. It's cool...we all make mistakes.

Hogman2018

JessieP

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on March 20, 2019, 03:59:48 pm
Well, actually you DID say it here. If you wanted that in the future tense as you claim you should've said "School choice MAY be used to build a select few powerhouses and a glut on mediocre teams." You used present tense, then when pressed to produce evidence of your claim you said you didn't say it.

Either you didn't remember what you said or you realized you couldn't back up your claim and tried to change what you meant. It's cool...we all make mistakes.

Having re-read everything I've posted here the only thing that would come remotely close is from my initial post: "School choice is being used to build a select few powerhouses and a glut on mediocre teams." If that's what you're referring to? Wow! Seriously, Wow. The concept of present/future tense flies way way over your head, Wow. Now had I said "has been used" that would give you a leg to stand on. Wow, that's bizarre. Had you had someone read/explain my post to you like I recommended they could have also explained how when kids transfer to make a school stronger, the school they left becomes weaker.

Try this, take two glasses of water both filled halfway up. Pour a little water from one glass into the other. One glass will have more and the other has less. It's still the same accumulative amount of water but one glass has more. 

SUGARTOWN

You need a refresher English course it looks like. But as I said, it's ok, we all make mistakes from time to time. The key is learning from them and not repeating them. I hope you take this with you in your future endeavors and grow from it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck buddy.  :D

Mr. Mercer

I notice the only ones who complain are the same ones who say it doesn't matter they won't win it all or they can't win the big one. If that's the case... Why do people from Warren or Nashville care? I mean I know why Nashville people care (how dare anyone threaten to win "Nashvilles" conference), but if little ol Robinson can't and won't beat Warren then why do you care. Did anyone throw their arms up when Warren got two move ins from California this past year? Nope. They were shopped around private schools and a couple public schools in LR well before the ended up in Warren. I'm sure they went to Warren for the "academics". But at the end of the day. Who cares? Let the kids go where they want. No one cried tears for Robinson in 2011 when their best 5 8th graders went to Maumelle when that school opened. 4/5 went on to become college football players. There's countless other players who went on to other schools who attended Robinson up until the 9th grade. Times, facilities and academics changed. Think about the best players at PA and LRCA. There's a good chance they're in Robinson's zone. Is Warren or Nashville competing with anything like that? Nope.

AirWarren

March 21, 2019, 10:09:31 am #43 Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:24:21 am by AirWarren
You're really going to compare transferring "competition" to a town of 4000 and a town of 5000 to a school who is in a metro area of 700k? Lol.

For every one you lose to Christian and pa, you gain them right back plus some from Cabot, North Little Rock, pine bluff, Mcclellen, Glen Rose, LR Parkview, LR Central, Hall High, and Mills.

As a former parent of the PCSSD, I have no issue with Robinson and proud of the strides. But let's not start touting "academics" yet. I'm fully aware of the scores and stats. They ain't there yet. It's all about the program, location, and "newness".

None of which can compete with LR central in academics. Who has a 7/10 rating and a B rating from the state report card.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on March 20, 2019, 11:24:08 pm
I notice the only ones who complain are the same ones who say it doesn't matter they won't win it all or they can't win the big one. If that's the case... Why do people from Warren or Nashville care? I mean I know why Nashville people care (how dare anyone threaten to win "Nashvilles" conference), but if little ol Robinson can't and won't beat Warren then why do you care. Did anyone throw their arms up when Warren got two move ins from California this past year? Nope. They were shopped around private schools and a couple public schools in LR well before the ended up in Warren. I'm sure they went to Warren for the "academics". But at the end of the day. Who cares? Let the kids go where they want. No one cried tears for Robinson in 2011 when their best 5 8th graders went to Maumelle when that school opened. 4/5 went on to become college football players. There's countless other players who went on to other schools who attended Robinson up until the 9th grade. Times, facilities and academics changed. Think about the best players at PA and LRCA. There's a good chance they're in Robinson's zone. Is Warren or Nashville competing with anything like that? Nope.

Good post. No doubt there's plenty of "It's ok when WE do it, but not ok when THEY do it", going around on here.

JessieP

Let's clarify something. A less than intelligent poster may have implied that I was against the open border transfer when you want for whatever reason you want policy that seems to run rampant these day's only when it works against certain schools. That is ignorant and just plain false. The new "free agency" mindset we have in Arkansas is cowardly and quite simply another offshoot of bulldozer parenting. Little Timmy isn't getting his way here so move little Timmy there. It hurts everyone and teaches kids the best way to overcome obstacles is to run away from them. If a kid transfers to another school to and plays football the reason for the transfer is football, academics is not a consideration.

How is this hurting football? Ask yourself this, if a kid wants t play football and has 3 teams to choose from. Team A wins all the time, teams B and C struggle. Where is he going? Duh. What free agency does, let's stop calling it school choice it's free agency, is deplete numbers at certain schools where numbers are dropping. And as a player that was recruited out of high school please don't try and sell me that "It will help them get noticed by colleges" crap. That just makes you sound stupid. Colleges look at players not schools. If you're on a team that is o-fer in West Nowhere Utah and you have college ability, you'll play college ball.

Free agency diverts bodies to certain schools, it takes bodies away from others. The number of kids playing high school football is dropping every year. School choice was instituted to address academic issues, athletics was not initially part of the plan. It has since been hijacked.

Just an FYI, here in Independence County we only have 2 schools. The school I root for has more kids wanting in then wanting out and still I think transferring is chicken doodoo.   

scrapman

Quote from: Mr. Mercer on March 20, 2019, 11:24:08 pm
People care because it is against the rules. Kids are allowed to go to private schools and play just like when they transfer back from a private school they can play. People get upset when a kid has been talked to by a coach prior to a bonafide move about opportunities once they transfer. I'm sure all these non-qualifiers transferred to Robinson for academic reasons.

Longsnapper81

A certain amount of reason needs to be injected into this conversation for the sake of fairness.  I only jump into this thread because you stop just a whisker short of accusing Coach Eskola of trolling competitive locker rooms looking to scoop up players who are disenfranchised with their present situations with grandiose promises of playing time and championships.  I know the man and trust me... he's got better things to do.

I guess my point also is, that if you have the testicular fortitude to call one man out, then call them all out as one doesn't need to look to far in any direction to see it going on everywhere.  The AAA has lit this dumpster fire and its up to them to figure our how to responsibly police the thing.

If you are a coach and a kid shows up in your office on the first day of school after Christmas break and informs you he's transferring, what do you do...tell him to go back to where ever he came from??  Not every kid to transfer into RHS is the second coming of Basil Shabazz either.  Most as I am told were better off staying put in their former programs.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: scrapman on April 23, 2019, 05:43:22 pm
People get upset when a kid has been talked to by a coach prior to a bonafide move about opportunities once they transfer.

Nah, you're the only one on here who's really upset about it.

scrapman

Quote from: Longsnapper81 on April 23, 2019, 11:26:53 pm
A certain amount of reason needs to be injected into this conversation for the sake of fairness.  I only jump into this thread because you stop just a whisker short of accusing Coach Eskola of trolling competitive locker rooms looking to scoop up players who are disenfranchised with their present situations with grandiose promises of playing time and championships.  I know the man and trust me... he's got better things to do.

I guess my point also is, that if you have the testicular fortitude to call one man out, then call them all out as one doesn't need to look to far in any direction to see it going on everywhere.  The AAA has lit this dumpster fire and its up to them to figure our how to responsibly police the thing.

If you are a coach and a kid shows up in your office on the first day of school after Christmas break and informs you he's transferring, what do you do...tell him to go back to where ever he came from??  Not every kid to transfer into RHS is the second coming of Basil Shabazz either.  Most as I am told were better off staying put in their former programs.
Yes. It is up to the school that a kid ends up at to do the research and prove he is eligible and there legally. That is the rule set by the AAA. So....when the kid shows up in the office after Christmas break, you don't let him workout with the team until it is all complete and legal.  I'm saying many don't do this but this is the rule. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas