• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Outlook

Started by DerekOxford, December 01, 2015, 01:14:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

Quote from: fastdrop on November 27, 2016, 09:08:59 pm
Take a look at the Arkansas schedule it had this year....along with the other members of the SEC west. Hardest schedule in College football. Arkansas along with other SEC west schools would be 10-2 in most any other conference.

The SEC West was not the toughest division this season. The last decade, yes but not this year.

fastdrop

Quote from: beach bum on November 27, 2016, 09:11:32 pm
The SEC West was not the toughest division this season. The last decade, yes but not this year.
You don't know that yet. Bowl season will tell the tale.

fastdrop

I wouldn't bet against the SEC west in bowl games though....  ;D

LRRandy

Quote from: fastdrop on November 27, 2016, 08:52:30 pm
I hope CBB stays at least another 5 years.

Seriously he is not a bad coach. Parity has become a reality in College football. I like it and think it is good for the game. 7-5 .... 8-4 is a GOOD year - not a great year but a good one. Fans that don't see that are living in dream land.
look in the mirror for dreamland. The rest of the country is acklowledging what you fail to see.
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2678415-theres-no-way-to-sugarcoat-it-the-sec-is-mediocre-in-2016

DerekOxford

Under Bret Bielema at Arkansas, the team is 15-25 and 10-22 in the SEC.

His 3-9 (0-8) debut was the worst season at Arkansas since World War II. He got a contract extension for matching John L. Smith's conference win total in Year 2.

Some of the losses during this era are blowing a 24-7 lead at Rutgers and losing, and then repeating that feat on Friday against Missouri. Both teams were terrible. Missouri was 4-8 while Rutgers was 6-6 in the American.

He lost to Toledo and Texas Tech at home in 2015, but his 5-3 SEC mark got people back on board.

2016 saw him barely beat Louisiana Tech in the season opener, beat a pedestrian TCU team on the road, and then a couple of patsies in Texas State and Alcorn State.

He has still yet to beat Kevin Sumlin, and finally managed to get the best of Dan Mullen. For some reason, he has Hugh Freeze's number. He did also managed to break the Florida curse.

I don't know how anyone really has optimism for 2017. Just looking at the schedule, it doesn't bode well at all.

9/2 Florida A&M W
9/9 TCU tossup
9/23 A&M tossup
9/30 New Mexico St W
10/7 at S. Carolina tossup
10/14 at Alabama L
10/21 Auburn L
10/28 at Ole Miss tossup
11/4 Coastal Carolina W
11/11 at LSU L
11/18 Mississippi State tossup
11/24 Missouri tossup

Only three for sure W's. Three for sure L's, six tossups. Probably split the tossups and go 6-6. Is 6-6 in year five good enough to keep his job? I say no way.

beach bum

Quote from: DerekOxford on November 27, 2016, 09:42:05 pm
Under Bret Bielema at Arkansas, the team is 15-25 and 10-22 in the SEC.

His 3-9 (0-8) debut was the worst season at Arkansas since World War II. He got a contract extension for matching John L. Smith's conference win total in Year 2.

Some of the losses during this era are blowing a 24-7 lead at Rutgers and losing, and then repeating that feat on Friday against Missouri. Both teams were terrible. Missouri was 4-8 while Rutgers was 6-6 in the American.

He lost to Toledo and Texas Tech at home in 2015, but his 5-3 SEC mark got people back on board.

2016 saw him barely beat Louisiana Tech in the season opener, beat a pedestrian TCU team on the road, and then a couple of patsies in Texas State and Alcorn State.

He has still yet to beat Kevin Sumlin, and finally managed to get the best of Dan Mullen. For some reason, he has Hugh Freeze's number. He did also managed to break the Florida curse.

I don't know how anyone really has optimism for 2017. Just looking at the schedule, it doesn't bode well at all.

9/2 Florida A&M W
9/9 TCU tossup
9/23 A&M tossup
9/30 New Mexico St W
10/7 at S. Carolina tossup
10/14 at Alabama L
10/21 Auburn L
10/28 at Ole Miss tossup
11/4 Coastal Carolina W
11/11 at LSU L
11/18 Mississippi State tossup
11/24 Missouri tossup

Only three for sure W's. Three for sure L's, six tossups. Probably split the tossups and go 6-6. Is 6-6 in year five good enough to keep his job? I say no way.

If we start 1-2 we are seriously potentially looking at 6-6.... possibly even 5-7. I would say 8-4 next year would be a great job.

LRRandy

Quote from: fastdrop on November 27, 2016, 09:08:59 pm
Take a look at the Arkansas schedule it had this year....along with the other members of the SEC west. Hardest schedule in College football. Arkansas along with other SEC west schools would be 10-2 in most any other conference.
laughable. You say Arkansas goes 10-2 playing Penn St. Wisc. Xichigan, tOhio State among others? Maryland and Rutgers (0-2 ring a bell) I'll give you, but get real. Arkansas schedule was actually ranked 21. 3 of 5 toughest schedules in the B1G inluding first and second toughest.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

bdubyab60

I think the SEC is going to stink it up in bowl games this year, except for a few teams. It happens, things cycle around. The SEC will probably carry home the title again under the Bama flag. Us SEC guys will have our hat to hang that on and the B1G will say look we won the most bowl games

But half these SEC teams that will bowling for the SEC have issues. Either they play no defense or their QB's are injured and their offense sucks. No consistency.

If Arkansas plays Iowa as one of the projections has us doing I think we get handled easily. They run the ball as good as anyone and are pretty good defensively by what I've seen of them, ain't much though.

Jacketman65

Quote from: LRRandy on November 27, 2016, 09:47:13 pm
laughable. You say Arkansas goes 10-2 playing Penn St. Wisc. Xichigan, tOhio State among others? Maryland and Rutgers (0-2 ring a bell) I'll give you, but get real. Arkansas schedule was actually ranked 21. 3 of 5 toughest schedules in the B1G inluding first and second toughest.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other
Every year, more back slapping excuses. I'm tired of it!  Let's either take the dump or get off the pot so to speak!

fastdrop

Quote from: LRRandy on November 27, 2016, 09:47:13 pm

I said they would be 10-2 in most conferences. I don't think the Big 10 is better than the SEC. The one good thing is that we will see soon enough.

fastdrop

Quote from: Jacketman65 on November 28, 2016, 12:27:50 am
Every year, more back slapping excuses. I'm tired of it!  Let's either take the dump or get off the pot so to speak!
Ricepig, will you talk to your buddies about this? Tell them to just go ahead and cancel football on the hill.

AirWarren

I know financially, he has two more years.

But personally for me, I'm giving him 1 more year. I'm tired of seeing slow, defensive players. And I'm tired of seeing that tit bag Austin Allen frown when something doesn't go his way.

If/when he goes, time to go back to the spread.

bdubyab60

Next year isn't going to be much better than this one. I would hope to see improvement in some areas. Defense for sure and some consistent offense.

We will once again have some big holes that need filled. Does anyone know who we have that are potentially replacing our OL starters, receivers and defensive players that are leaving. Receivers I think we should be ok. OL I'm afraid if the couldn't put a couple of these guys playing now on the sideline we may be in trouble and defense, well let's just say I don't have my hopes up there.

ricepig

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 28, 2016, 07:11:14 am
Next year isn't going to be much better than this one. I would hope to see improvement in some areas. Defense for sure and some consistent offense.

We will once again have some big holes that need filled. Does anyone know who we have that are potentially replacing our OL starters, receivers and defensive players that are leaving. Receivers I think we should be ok. OL I'm afraid if the couldn't put a couple of these guys playing now on the sideline we may be in trouble and defense, well let's just say I don't have my hopes up there.

If Ragnow stays, we only lose Skipper at OT, and should be better on the OL. At WR, we have guys like Jones and Pettaway, but can they block like Hatcher? Then you need a Morgan type that is going to be the route runner. On defense, any body they plug in should be better. The guy we may miss most is our punter, haha.

AirWarren

I think Bret leaves before he is fired.

He had always said he has never been fired from a job. And I think he will hold truth to that within himself.

bdubyab60

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 07:52:17 am
If Ragnow stays, we only lose Skipper at OT, and should be better on the OL. At WR, we have guys like Jones and Pettaway, but can they block like Hatcher? Then you need a Morgan type that is going to be the route runner. On defense, any body they plug in should be better. The guy we may miss most is our punter, haha.
Never underestimate a good punter.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 28, 2016, 09:19:23 am
I think Bret leaves before he is fired.

He had always said he has never been fired from a job. And I think he will hold truth to that within himself.

Everyone assumes he has two more years and leaves, or is fired. There is a better chance he stays here, than those two. Say we win the bowl game and 8 next year, he isn't going to be fired from Arkansas for winning 8 games, or that's my opinion. Now, less than 8 wins, it probably is 50/50.

AirWarren

You don't think he will get fed up with not winning big in the SEC and go elsewhere?

cuckoobird

Quote from: AirWarren on November 28, 2016, 10:00:59 am
You don't think he will get fed up with not winning big in the SEC and go elsewhere?
We can only pray for that to happen. Apparently the administration is ok with being at best, mediocre

AirWarren

I think he is a good coach. I just think with what he wants to do here, he is going to have to recruit some big time speed.

The things that hacks me off the most.
1. Out of position on defense.
2. Wrong angles...then too slow to make the play.
3. Getting ran by at the LOS as a CB
4. Been gashing between the guards and tackles the whole way down the field. Get inside the 5 and on 3rd down, run an end around.

Got to take chances on kids that may have a little character issue. Because those kids...are the kids that can give you 110% on the field.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 28, 2016, 10:13:30 am
I think he is a good coach. I just think with what he wants to do here, he is going to have to recruit some big time speed.

The things that hacks me off the most.
1. Out of position on defense.
2. Wrong angles...then too slow to make the play.
3. Getting ran by at the LOS as a CB
4. Been gashing between the guards and tackles the whole way down the field. Get inside the 5 and on 3rd down, run an end around.

Got to take chances on kids that may have a little character issue. Because those kids...are the kids that can give you 110% on the field.

Wait, where is there any proof that character issue guys give 110%, or more than anyone else? I agree we need more speed, and I think we've taken some recruits this year that are faster, on average. I think we needed to blitz more, I don't know if that's a Smith or Bielema issue.

bdubyab60

We are to passive on defense. We catch blocks and wait for the runner to come to us. I'm assuming that's the technique being taught. Unfortunately when we blitz we get burned. Cause of poor coverage. No physicality at the line of scrimmage, against mizzou receivers were just allowed to run free off the line.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 11:00:37 am
Wait, where is there any proof that character issue guys give 110%, or more than anyone else? I agree we need more speed, and I think we've taken some recruits this year that are faster, on average. I think we needed to blitz more, I don't know if that's a Smith or Bielema issue.

Take a look at Miami in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. That will give you a good gauge of what we need back there in the secondary. Ed Reed comes to mind.

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 28, 2016, 12:41:48 pm
Take a look at Miami in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. That will give you a good gauge of what we need back there in the secondary. Ed Reed comes to mind.

I know what we need, getting them is a different equation.

cuckoobird

Would it help to fly banners around campus? I still have the one we used for nutt.

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 28, 2016, 12:59:17 pm
Would it help to fly banners around campus? I still have the one we used for nutt.

Why, you wanting Nutt?

cuckoobird

I hate to say it but he's better than CBB

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 28, 2016, 02:05:31 pm
I hate to say it but he's better than CBB

That's an opinion.

AirWarren

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 12:57:40 pm
I know what we need, getting them is a different equation.

Why? All we were fed for years was we have the "location, facilities, tradition.."

ricepig

Quote from: AirWarren on November 28, 2016, 02:18:15 pm
Why? All we were fed for years was we have the "location, facilities, tradition.."

Well, you've been eating at the wrong places, lol. We lack location for athletes, it's great for quality of life for a working person, and great for students.

Longfellow

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 02:18:04 pm
That's an opinion.
Not really...HDN's record was much better...especially after 4 years...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 11:00:37 am
It's a CBB issue, after all he is the head coach...

cuckoobird

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 02:18:04 pm
That's an opinion.
no, it's a fact after 4 years that Houston nutt's record was 30-18 while Bert's is 24-24. Plus he didn't lose to the likes of Toledo or rutgers. Numbers don't lie, remember when you used them about MSU and OM. You're wrong on this one

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 28, 2016, 04:33:05 pm
no, it's a fact after 4 years that Houston nutt's record was 30-18 while Bert's is 24-24. Plus he didn't lose to the likes of Toledo or rutgers. Numbers don't lie, remember when you used them about MSU and OM. You're wrong on this one

Fine, I'll let you have HDN, lol. Of course, Bama didn't have Saban until 2007, so there's that. I guess you aren't going on their lifetime records which would probably be a better judge of who's better.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 28, 2016, 03:47:27 pm
Not really...HDN's record was much better...especially after 4 years...

You don't think they coached under different circumstances? I mean, go ahead, I'll let you have Nutt as your coach.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 04:58:03 pm
You don't think they coached under different circumstances? I mean, go ahead, I'll let you have Nutt as your coach.
I don't want Nutt as the coach, just saying he was better than CBB...facts don't lie regardless of how you spin it...I don't want CBB either, he is worse than Nutt...lol...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 28, 2016, 05:02:59 pm
I don't want Nutt as the coach, just saying he was better than CBB...facts don't lie regardless of how you spin it...I don't want CBB either, he is worse than Nutt...lol...

Facts show he had a better record in their first four years at the University of Arkansas, that's all the facts show, lol.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 05:11:40 pm
Facts show he had a better record in their first four years at the University of Arkansas, that's all the facts show, lol.
And that is exactly what I was eluding to...what more could be said...lol...it's not rocket science! Nutt was better than CBB...in his first four years...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Nutt went 9-5  (5-3) in his 5th year and 9-4  (4-4) in his sixth. Nutt also either tied or won the SEC West 3 times...Nutt wasn't a bad coach, he was just a dork who had a big ego. CBB has a big ego and has won nothing at Arkansas...lol...at least Nutt won something... 8)

Coach Venny Slocombe

November 28, 2016, 05:54:19 pm #1140 Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:56:10 pm by Coach Venny Slocombe
Heck CBP Petrino was only here 4 years...and he went 34-17  (17-15) and in his last two went 10-3 and 11-2...no other way to look at it...CBB is and has been horrible... ;D

8-5 in his second year...and it took CBB 4 years to get to 7-5...now if CBB wins the bowl game he will match CBP's second year... :o

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 28, 2016, 05:46:36 pm
And that is exactly what I was eluding to...what more could be said...lol...it's not rocket science! Nutt was better than CBB...in his first four years...

Yep, he had a better record! He also won more games in his first four years than Broyles did.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 28, 2016, 05:54:19 pm
Heck CBP Petrino was only here 4 years...and he went 34-17  (17-15) and in his last two went 10-3 and 11-2...no other way to look at it...CBB is and has been horrible... ;D

Yep, good times, unfortunately he drove the program into a ditch.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 05:54:37 pm
Yep, he had a better record! He also won more games in his first four years than Broyles did.
Broyles didn't coach as many games back then though...
58 - 4-6
59 - 9-2
60 - 8-3
61 - 8-3

Marked improvement by Broyles...CBB not so much...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 05:56:35 pm
Yep, good times, unfortunately he drove the program into a ditch.
He was still a much better coach and proved that the UofA does not have to be average...

cuckoobird

+1. It's unacceptable to accept mideocre

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on November 28, 2016, 06:00:39 pm
He was still a much better coach and proved that the UofA does not have to be average...

Nope, but he isn't here anymore, and had he had another good year, he wouldn't have stayed. He never stayed anywhere very long.

cuckoobird

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on November 28, 2016, 06:16:51 pm
Nope, but he isn't here anymore, and had he had another good year, he wouldn't have stayed. He never stayed anywhere very long.
Maybe, maybe not...What does that even matter? So we want CBB to be average so he will stay and not bolt? lol... come on Rice really?

ricepig

Quote from: cuckoobird on November 28, 2016, 06:41:35 pm
You don't know that

History my friend, history. The odds are way in my favor that he would have moved to another job, he always did.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas